Flomax

Comment from: KCF, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 13

I have taken Tamsulosin hydrochloride for many years and my symptoms were eased with regular strength urination. I was however recently hospitalised with severe urine retention although I continued to urinate normally. I have been diagnosed with a floppy bladder - is this due to the effects of the Tamsulosin? whilst weakening the Prostate has it also weekend my detrusor muscel? I now have to self catheter!

Related Reading: tamsulosin

Comment from: bubbabad, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 29

I am a 44 year old male that has just started the treatment for enlarged prostate. My biggest concern is that my sex life has crashed. The lack of semen & decreased libido is so frustrating. Is there anything that can help this?

Related Reading: enlarged prostate

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 04

I am a 56yr. old with BPH. I was initially perscribed Finasteride(Proscar) for my symptoms. Worked very good at first. Took away 90% of my symptoms. They gradually started coming back after about 3 months. Dr put me on a combined Tamsulosin(flomax) & finasteride(proscar)treatment. Worked good as far as increaseing my urine stream. Noticed side affects from the first week, and they incresed as treatment went on. I've been taking both for 3 months and stopped taking the tamsulosin(flomax) 2 days ago. I was experiencing drowsiness at first but after a week that started going away but noticed increasing problem with insommia. Nose was alwys stuffy to varing degrees, decreased sex drive, itiching bowel sack, shortness of breath, stated feeling like my heart was becoming almost restrictive. 2 days off and stuffy nose, heart problem, shortness of breath all have gone away. I am going to see my doctor today about this problem but probably will not go back to the tamsulosin(flomax).

Related Reading: proscar | flomax

Comment from: Eric T., 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 16

Because of frequent painful urination my doctor precribed 4mg Flomax daily. I took for a month. Side effects were terrible so I stopped without telling the doctor. ED developed and I lost my sex life which is not tolerable. Constipation came in, 12 years old sinus returned, frequent wake up at night, exhausted easily. It relieved me of difficult urination and that's all the benifit I got. I tried Saw Plameto together with Cranberry extract caps instead. Works wonderful. All Flomax side effects gone. ED is no longer there and I got my sex life back. If the side effects of a drug outweighs its benifits, I consider the drug to be useless. Drug manufacturer should know better than that. My side effects are not isolated because you will find them in most other reviews.

Related Reading: flomax | constipation | cranberry

Comment from: Jhern381, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 24

I was prescribed Flomax to help me increase a weak urine flow. I took the pill for three days and immediately had many of the side effects. Stuffy nose, dizziness, headache and dramatic decrease in sexual performance. I couldn't perform as before and could not climax or produce any semen. I stopped taking this medication immediately and hope the side effects will reverse very soon.

Related Reading: dizziness | headache

Comment from: popuhpope, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 19

I have been unable to ejaculate, and or if any very little. Interupted ejaculation. Ugg!! I have been on this medication since sept. 1st.. Today is the 19th.

Comment from: Ben, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm a 62 yr. old male taking Flomax for about approx. 2 months. Ive experienced Ears Ringing, dribling after urinating, running nose & stuffy sinuses, Flu symtoms, sleeplessness after 4hrs of going to bed. pounding headaches, no ejaculation of seman, achy feeling in legs with hip pain when I get up to walk (this one I have not read anybody having), that all go way when I stop taking it for two days. At times I can pee a good stream. At night not good at all usually. Up at night as much. I thought this one was better than the rest. At first it was. I was on Hytrin (or terazosin) until my Heart rate plumited to 38 and I was Hospitalized. Outside of this issue the Hytrin was OK for a fare number of yrs. I think I will get off this drug too.

Related Reading: flu | hip pain | hytrin

Comment from: BillG, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 12

For over a year I had a hard time passing urine, especially in the mornings. It felt like it took forever to finish emptying my bladder. I also woke up once or twice at night to urinate. After only a few days of taking this drug, I now have a full stream, I don't have to wait forever to pass a full bladder, and I don't wake up at night. So far, there have been no side effects from this drug; only positive results. In my opinion, this drug is working great for my issues.

Comment from: DavidM, Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 07

have no problems with remaining flacid, but have semen problems; sometimes no semen, sometimes just a little bit of semen ejaculate - has anyone else had muscle weakness problems?

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 16

I wanted to pass on a possible treatment for sexual side effects. My urinary symptoms improved noticeably within 10 days of starting Flomax treatment. However, I experienced sexual side effects about 18 days after beginning treatment, having no or almost no ejaculate. I realized that I had stopped using Saw Palmetto a couple of days previously since I was on Flomax. It occurred to me that the on-set of sexual side effects might be related to stopping use of saw palmetto so I went back on saw palmetto the next day. I saw an immediate improvement in ejaculate volume that night which was Valentines Day (volume of ejaculate appeared to be normal). I have stayed on both Flomax and Saw Palmetto since and have been free of noticeable sexual side effects. I just wanted to pass on my experience although this is strictly anecdotal evidence without Doctor input.

Related Reading: flomax

Comment from: travlinman, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 06

Flomax, extremely effective as short-term remedy. I was nearly in retention and had noticeable improvement literally overnite. While I did not have any of the other side-effects others described, the sexual side-effects were unacceptable. Switched to Uroxatral which took a few days to a week to kick in, but without the sexual side-effects for me. Unfortunately, had to discontinue use after 5-6 months because of acute shortness of breath, which is not even in the literature. The key to this is Avodart, which shrinks the prostate. Once its size is reduced enough to release its strangle-hold on the bladder, I found I could discontinue the other drugs.But continue to take Selenium and Saw Palmetto. While surgical procedures continue to improve, I was not willing to run even a small 5-10% risk of permanent sexual disfunction.

Related Reading: uroxatral | avodart | selenium

Comment from: AntarcticSky, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 19

Diagnosed w/ BPH after a year of dealing with occasional symptoms of weak stream and frequent urge to urinate. Took Flomax initially (two months)--with almost immediate positive effect, then switched to Uroxatral for two months. It seemed as if the Flowmax was more effective, so I have been using it again for the past 8 months (1x0.4mg capsule/days). Noticable side effects include significant reduction in semen output and moderate sex drive reduction. Haven't experienced other side effects noted by others here except very rarely I experience runny nose and ear ringing.

Comment from: crewcut, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 04

I was getting up 5-6 times a night before flomax. It cut down my night time trips to the bathroom almost immediatley. But after a few weeks they began returning. At three months, doc doubled dosage. Same pattern again. I had almost immediate relief but after a few weeks, I was waking up 2-3 times again. I have lost a lot of my sexual drive. Ejaculations are dry. I'm back to being tired all the time. I am now seeing a urologist to weigh surgical options.

Related Reading: flomax

Comment from: SeanP, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 07

Flomax has given me blurry vision and make it difficult to read with progressive lens. I also interferes with my sleep and my sex functioning. My insurance co stopped paying for it and I gave it up and have adjusted with dietary changes

Comment from: gljohnson, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

I am a 57 yr old female........aha, surprise. My uroligist ordered this for me when I was suffering from kidney stone. (even my pharmacist questioned this one) It did help open up the flow, and gave me some relief, so altho it's a drug made for man it is also helpful to women.

Comment from: Terry, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 26

I'm a 58 years old. I used to get up 4 or 5 times every night. Flomax has decreased this number to 1 or 2. However, because of the side effects I'm stopping immediately. I have sleep apena and Flomax has caused nasual congestion making it difficult to breath. On top of that I'm experiencing dry mouth, insomnia, pounding heart, and irritability. If you have sleep apena DO NOT take this drug !!!

Related Reading: flomax | dry mouth | insomnia

Comment from: p, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been taking 2 .4 mg caps nightly and the only adverse affect is no semen. Kinda weird. Good strong stream again,sleep all night. No more painful urination. Just strange orgasms

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 12

Flomax destroyed my sex life while I was taking it. NO Semen, NO Ejaculation, NO Orgasm, NO Sensation...NOTHING. Not taking it any more...LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!!

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 04

Immediate problems with no ejaculation. I think the trial percentages have been compromised. I took 2 pills and immediately had retrograde ejaculation. It's more annoying and frustrating than I can describe. Because of it, you lose your desire to have sex. Very unsatisfying. After reading reviews, I think it's more likely that 50% of men are affected sexually by this drug. Not 19%. Very suspicious of that low number.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 30

my body has completely stop creating semen i am 27 yrs. old

Comment from: ktb, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 23

Used it for 3 weeks. For a few days it seemed to work well and I actually had a couple of full nights' sleep without getting up to pee. But it became less effective in the second and third weeks during which my nightly pattern of urination was only marginally improved from before. I was also having dry orgasms, which was very weird. Semen reversing into bladder can't be healthy. But the main reason I stopped taking flomax was that I developed a persistent pain in the upper left back region that was quite intense at times. After stopping the drug, the back pain gradually disappeared and 4 days later was gone completely.

Related Reading: flomax

Comment from: 80 yrs oldMale, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 17

Upgraded from urinary trickle at night , to goodly stream ( total bladder emptying) within a week of starting on Flomax generic , using one pill about 9pm daily. Wonderful . I am 80 yrs old male

Comment from: pyecat, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 26

This is the only thing that worked for after trying every natural pill known to man none worked Flomax was easy to use with no side effects at all and it worked within a week I really feel like a new man, give with product a try

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 28

I HAVE BEEN ON THIS DRUG FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW AND SEE ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE OR IF IT IS HELPING ME. ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH MY ENLARGED PROSTATE REMAIN THE SAME AS IT WAS BEFORE I STARTED IT.

Related Reading: enlarged prostate

Comment from: Fico, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 10

I Have a bout of prostatitis, have been using flowmax for a week it cut my sex drive to 0 and had stuffy nose along with dizzy spells and nausea. Had my last pill last night, will try natural herbs and alternative medicine

Related Reading: prostatitis