Flomax

Comment from: 65-74 Transgender less than 1 month Caregiver Published: October 02

I was started on this medication to ease frequent urination. It did relax the bladder to be all to fully empty. But after about 3 days I noticed an extremely stuffey nose like a sinus infection. At first, I just thought it was fall allergies. Then I began waking up at 1:15 am or 3:15 am and would be wide awake and totally unable to go back to sleep. I also have sleep apnea and use a CPAP. I went through this for about a week and a half. I stopped Flomax at night and slept all night since stopping it 4 days ago and my stuffy nose went away also. When I first started taking the medicine at night, the next morning I would be extremely light headed for about a week.

Comment from: pronoflo 45-54 Transgender 2 to less than 5 years Caregiver Published: August 30

I have been taking it for 2 years and it did relieve my urination frequency however I will gladly take that than the horrific side effects. sexual desire is gone, ejaculation I would orgasm but NO semen, partner thought I was faking orgasm? lol No not funny. I'm on other meds as well so didn't realize these issues were from Flomax. Oh, ya gained 60 extra lbs since taking. I have been off for 3 weeks and the weight is falling off down 25 already. I still have not ejaculated and hope that will return at some point. Ejaculation with no evidence is ridiculous. Do not trust this drug.

Related Reading: flomax

Comment from: John W. 55-64 Transgender 2 to less than 5 years Caregiver Published: June 28

For ME, it works great! If I miss 1 or even 2 doses, I have a huge issue trying to urinate. Personally I'd rather find a solution to my issue then be stuck taking pills for the rest of my life. But until that happens, this is a great solution. Again...this is for ME. I've read some of the other comments and I don't notice any side-effects for me.

Comment from: ace88 45-54 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: May 21

I have fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis, and sleep apnea. The medication was used to try to calm my pelvic floor muscles regarding frequent urination. The first day or two it was OK, but as I got more into my body, my sleep apnea got far, far worse. Trouble getting to sleep, would wake up in 1 or 2 hours sweating. Bottom line is I can't sleep with it at all. Got worse each day of the 8 days I took it so I had to quit. Also some sexual side effects.

Comment from: TBD 55-64 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: March 13

Horrific side effects for "meh" results. As I approach 60, one issue that bothers me regularly is frequent urination due to an enlarged prostate. My GP suggested I try Flomax to alleviate the symptoms, and the medication does help with the "emergency sensation" of needing to go, and reduced the sleep cycle frequency, however the litany of side effects leaves me with a preferable desire of urinating in my pants versus this crap. What side effects? Inability to focus Decreased sexual feedback Headaches Itching High high rates Decreased endurance Apathy Dizziness Spacing out moments I can manage my urination cycles, even if that means 'Depends'; what I cannot manage are all the "wonders" this drug invokes. I am 24 hours off, as I write this, and I still have a damn headache.

Comment from: jim 65-74 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: January 18

It worked immediately but the side effects could not be tolerated. The first night I experienced some pain in my jaw but didnt associate it with the meds. The second night it felt like every tooth in my mouth was aching. This went on until the morning. Got very little sleep. Never taking this again.

Comment from: 45-54 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: January 04

Was prescribed this drug for 14 days when I had a kidney stone. I took it once and it gave me major congestion. Never took it again.

Related Reading: kidney

Comment from: 25-34 Male 1 to 6 months Patient Published: November 23

Have kidney stones. Helps me urinate more regularly. Side effects have been a stuffy nose multiple times throughout the day. Barely any ejaculate. My energy levels are normal throughout the day but by 9pm I feel worn out and ready to knock out. I think its giving me dark bags under my eyes as well. Overall its helping though.

Related Reading: kidney

Comment from: Minnesotah 55-64 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: November 02

It solved the problem with flow, and took pressure off of my bladder. However, I can't use the drug, because it increases my heart rate anywhere from 10-20 beats. The drug kept me extremely irritable, depressed, and losing sleep. I tried it two different times before calling the doctor to get a new drug.

Comment from: jj 65-74 Male 1 to 6 months Patient Published: July 10

Pro Great flow, frequency of going to the bathroom reduced Con: Retrograde ejaculation

Comment from: GW 45-54 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: July 04

I am temporarily using tamsulosin (Flomax) to aid in passing kidney stone fragments following shock wave lithotripsy on one kidney. The medication has been successful in relaxing the bladder neck muscle and prostate to allow the stone fragments to pass without pain. However, men should note the possible sexual side effects. I have experienced retrograde ejaculation. The initial sensation of orgasm feels pleasurable, but the intense pressure of seminal fluid collecting in the urethra before ejaculation doesn't happen. Instead, the relaxed muscles allow the semen to flow backward into the bladder. Ejaculation happens, but there is not a series of strong muscle contractions nor pleasurable feelings of release. I experience a few weak pulses and a few drops of semen (or none at all) ooze from my penis, even though my hips instinctively flex like a normal ejaculation. Fortunately, I've felt no discomfort when semen goes into the bladder, just a subtle feeling of congestion that is relieved later during urination. Overall, sexual satisfaction seems diminished by 50%. No issues with achieving an erection or responding to stimulation to reach the start of orgasm, but I've had to adjust to the physical and mental dissatisfaction with the lack of ejaculation. If you are using Flomax for an extended period of time, you may want to discuss these issues with your partner, if you have one.

Related Reading: flomax | kidney | shock

Comment from: Guss 55-64 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: January 02

I am taking Flomax for problems urinating too much, especially overnight. Weak urine stream also. This med has greatly helped that problem, but I absolutely cannot get an erection anymore. If I rarely do, there is no ejaculation whatsoever. If you have a high sex drive before taking this med, it will totally disappear after two weeks from the beginning day. I am very dissappointed that this side effect is so bad.

Related Reading: flomax

Comment from: NO WAY I AM TAKING THIS 45-54 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: November 03

Decreased hardness of erection, retrograde ejaculation after 1 week of use stopping this drug tonight. If you want to urinate easily and donĂ¢??t care about sex then this is the drug for you.

Comment from: Nachtjager 55-64 Male 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: October 30

Took Flomax for about six years for BPH along with chronic prostatitis. Works fantastic for keeping the pipes cleaned out and making it easy to pee. Side effects continued to get worse with extended use. I am 55 years old. With Flomax, I cannot maintain an erection even with the help of the little blue pill. Ejaculations were usually retrograde and just felt really odd. I need something to control my problem, was switched to Cardura, seems to be working without the side effects. Flomax works, but it will completely kill your sex life.

Related Reading: flomax | prostatitis | cardura

Comment from: Peery Brown Male Patient Published: August 15

55 year old male in good shape. Diagnosed with a kidney stone after running heavy equipment. Prescribed this for 10 days. I became very congested. Like 90% could not breath through my nose. Felt like really really bad allergies. Body begain to ache. Nasal spray would only work for about 2 hours. This really sucks when your on a nasal pillow for sleep apnea. Poor sleep, very tired. 100% willpower working through out the day. I had no idea what was going on until I got on here and looked up the side effects for this drug. It sucks, I would rather piss blood waiting on that stone the deal with these crappy side effects.

Related Reading: kidney | sleep apnea

QUESTION

The prostate is about the size of a _____________. See Answer
Comment from: Female Patient Published: May 22

Developed diarrhea after starting using this drug

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: Todd 35-44 Male 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: March 16

i don't recommend anybody take this drug if you care much for your sex life...enough said

Comment from: JR 55-64 Male 1 to 6 months Patient Published: February 25

I've been on the generic tamsulosin HCL for over 6 weeks and I don't have any improvement. Still have major issue with emptying my bladder - my prostate is normal size - this was supposed to help me empty my bladder but nothing after 6 weeks. Is there a difference between the generic and name brand Flomax in terms of effectiveness?