Flonase

Comment from: lwestman, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 01

I was prescribed Flonase and started taking it every day - my sinus problems were gone instantly. HOWEVER, after six weeks of using the drug, I have finally located the source of stress in my life: FLONASE. I have been overly anxious, unable to focus, filled with anxiety that I didn't even think I had (causing me to make some VERY bad decisions), unable to sleep properly, having very vivid dreams, AND RAPID WEIGHT GAIN. I gained twenty pounds since I've started taking Flonase. I am going back to using Advil Cold/Sinus and using my Neti Pot. I will deal with phlegm as long as I can be myself again.

Related Reading: flonase | stress | anxiety

Comment from: sugarmag80, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 01

I started using generic Flonase about a year ago for mild nasal congestion due to allergies (1-2 squirts in each nostril once a day). It worked well almost immediately. Since then, I have gradually experienced the following side effects: • dry inside of nose • acne (I used to have some very slight acne from time to time, but it got much worse and spread to my chest) • enlarged face around my cheeks and jawline • irregular periods • worsened night vision I stopped the medication 2 weeks ago and my acne has completely cleared up. I'm hoping everything else will go back to normal, too.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: D, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 30

Flonase (generic) worked well for my allergy symptoms BUT after taking Flonase for about 1 month I started getting migrains with bright lights, blurred vision and floaters. Never had migrains prior. The only different thing I was doing was using Flonase. I haven't used Flonase in 3 days and so far so good - I'll see what happens. Very scary experience. I won't use it again.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: jakeman21, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 01

Used Flonase for one year and totally lost my sense of smell. Havent used in 3 years and still can't smell. Anyone else? Friend has same experience. I know zinc based nasal sprays have been sued for this but can't find a lawyer yet to take my case. This drug should be off the market.

Related Reading: zinc

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 08

Horrible reaction to this drug. I only used it for 4 days and every time I used it I got a slight tingling sensation in my tongue. After the 4th day I woke up and realized my tongue felt burnt and rough as well as numb. My lips were numb too and my throat is very sore. I also lost a great deal of smell and taste. I'm so worried this will never get better. I keep reading the smell and taste never comes back. I'm so mad!! It was not worth it at all!

Comment from: Allergy sufferer, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 09

It works excellent for reducing nasal swelling and helping me to breathe easier. I've had horrible insomnia since I started using it! I don't even see where this is listed as a side effect? Anyone else have this problem?

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 23

I am a 45 year old female who developed posterior sub capsular cataracts in both eyes after using generic Flonase for 2 years as prescribed. It cleared up my sinuses great but I had to have lens replacement in both eyes and my vision has not been the same since. Use a NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit instead and an antihistamine instead-- much safer.

Related Reading: cataracts

Comment from: Steven, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 29

Flonase review: I have used flonase for years for my sinus congestion and alergies, and it works great. But now, they have made it non-prescription and it does not work properly. When it was prescribed it cost me a $10.00 copay per month. Now, it costs $23.00 a bottle at Walmart, for the same amount. That is more than twice what I was paying. That is one thing, but it doesn't work properly. It says you must prime the bottle if it sits for more than a week, but I have to prime it every morning and every night to get a decent spray out of it. It will not spray properly unless I pump it two or three times (for each nostril). At first, I thought maybe I got a bad bottle, but I am now on my third bottle and they all act the same. When I open a new bottle, it will work okay for the first few sprays, but once the bottle is down to about 75% full, it starts with the pump not working properly and needing to be primed; EVERY MORNING & EVERY EVENING. By doing this I waste probably about 30% of the bottle by the time it is empty, so that means it is costing me even more. This sucks. The prescription bottles were well made and the pressure was proper, so when you sprayed it worked every time. These non-prescription bottles are junk. I feel this is just another rip off the pharmacutical companies are getting away with, with no oversight by the FDA to protect us, the consumer. I have to use it, so I guess I am stuck, but they should not be able to blatantly rip us off with an inferior product.

Comment from: John Q., 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 24

I am glad that this medication has worked for so many. My experience was a nightmare, which involved severe headaches,chest and back pain( thought I was having a heart attack at one point. All went away after I took my self off of this medication. Never Again.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: holly, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

i could breathe, but the constant head aches and lack of energy is soo not worth it. when i realized my symptons were from the nasal spray and i stopped taking i felt normal again!

Comment from: dpelton1992, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 23

On my way back to doctor/ER due to SEVERE REACTION SWELLING NASAL AND THROAT SHUT, WHITE PATCHES OF FUNGUS ALL OVER MY THROAT, STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!! I have NEVER had an alergic reaction to any drug and this one has nearly KILLED ME!!! Employer would not let me leave work to go to doctor and ex-wife has me driving 40 miles to see my son on Thursday, so if I am still alive tomorrow, I will once AGAIN try to get my doctor to respond to my reaction! DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION, IT IS WAY OVERATED AND MAY KILL YOU!!!

Comment from: sara, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 16

I have taken Flonase with Allegra-D for 6 days. It works great for my allergies but I stopped taking both last night because of the terrible side-effects. I have a hard time falling asleep, vivid dreams, wake up waay too early and can't go back to sleep. I have a thickness at the back of my throat and a tightness in my chest and throat. I am also really really irratable and achey. I am going to try just a saline spray and back to clariten, it doesn't work as well but the side effects aren't worth it.

Related Reading: flonase | allegra-d

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 19

The first time I used it I stopped because I didn't feel it working. Went back to the Dr. and she told me how to use it properly. Shake, prime, insert high in the nose and point it towards the inner eye. After I used it correctly I found it worked great. I take it once a day. Have not had any side affects. You need to wean off of it.

Comment from: OnyJohnny5, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 03

I have bin using 2 puffs each once a day Flonase (Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray) for a month now, i noticed the first day i used it i got dizzy but i thought it was from a hot shower, then like 2 weeks later again i got dizzy i was a lil worried so i said let me use it for another week or so and again i got dizzy i feel pressure in the back of my head like a bad headache and weakness and anxiety so i stoped using it for almost a week and still feel this way i wounder how long will it take to go away??

Related Reading: headache | anxiety

Comment from: sonata33, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 27

I actually started with Nasacort for Spring and Fall seasonal allergies ( and a bit of travel), then switched to Flonase when that became available (less $$$). I noticed, first with the Nasacort, that my sense of smell was a bit "off": kept smelling a bit of "Cinnamon" (I thought) the first year. Second year--smelled like "Grasses" ...not too bad. At some point I switched to the Flonase. Now I started smelling things like garbage and rot(!) All while doing GREAT for my allergy symptoms. However, I noticed it was taking longer for "normal" smell to return after season; and finally it got where I was waiting longer & longer for ANY smell to return! (This can start affecting taste as well.) This concerned me seriously, and I won't use it any more. Tried something else last year (put in me in deep drowse by day 3)--and still trying to decide if I will try the Omnaris my doc has provided. I may just stick with Claritin/Fexofenidine.

Related Reading: allergy | omnaris | claritin

Comment from: krystale77, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been taking this medicine for a week. It seems to help with the allergies, but on about the 6th day I noticed uneasy feelings, nervousness, aditated feeling. On 7th day had blurred vision while driving, 8th day blurred visioin while working. My docotor recommended I try Planase instead. I think I will. Did not work for me.

Comment from: shaneo, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 29

This drug cleared my nasal passage, but caused me to have broncospasms and ashma like attacks. After 2 weeks I'm quitting it.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 14

I used Flonase for approx. 1 year and was very satisfied, but gradually I realized I had lost my sense of smell. It's been more than 6 years and the sense of smell has not returned. I now take a prescription allergy pill daily.

Related Reading: flonase | allergy

Comment from: JoAnn, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 07

This product really clears up my stuffy nose and prevents sinus infections. However, I have been taking over 5 years and now my nose bleeds quite often and the inside and outside of my nose hurts. I am afraid to discontinue, I don't want another sinus infection. But I may have to because the bleeding is not getting any better.

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: hollasue, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 24

I have really bad allergies, but so I use it daily. After a week or so I am pretty sure it is giving me insomnia. Nasonex did the same thing. It is NOT listed as a side affect. Any one else have the same problem?

Related Reading: insomnia | nasonex

Comment from: I'm_IL_LY, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 22

I've always suffered with allergy rhinitis and ended up with a horribly stuffy nose. This is the first product that has ever relieved and reversed the situation. Take note that you must use the medicine as directed. When I was first prescribed this medicine my nose had literally locked up. From all the blowing of mucus and the increased inflammation I could not breath out my nose at all. My doctor prescribed this to me along with pseudoephedrine and Zyrtec and by that night I could start to breath through my nose again. At that time my prescription was to take one spray up each nostril a day. I followed the instructions that came with the spray recently because my nasal congestion was very painful again. I used 2 sprays a day. One when I woke up and one when I went to bed. Finally, my symptoms have subsided and my inflamation has went down and I can breath again. I could breath better after about 3 days. Although its a slow acting medicine at times, because it takes repeated use, it does work which many nasal sprays across the counter rarely do. I've now switched back to one spray a day and will stop using it after this week is over with. For me, I don't have to use this product everyday/all the time. I use it for my symptoms, then I use it for another week after my symptoms are gone and I'm alright. Every now and then I may use a spray up each nostril when I feel that pressure in my nose as if my allergies are going to go hay wire or when I sneeze alot. I would highly recommend this product.

Related Reading: pseudoephedrine | zyrtec

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 03

After taking for 2 days, had marked relief from allergies, but side effects of nausea and vomiting were actually more irritating that the allergies. I wish my doctor had just given me the Kenalog shot I requested which has NO horrible side effects and actually works, but I guess the makers of Kenalog don't take him golfing like the makers of this crap do.

Related Reading: nausea and vomiting

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 28

I am a Nurse and have used Flonase for several with great results. Controlling my allergy symptoms has been my greatest concern. Providers have suggested that I think about using another medication but after having suffered with sinus issues for all my life I am quite reluctant to stop using it. Flonase will leave and after taste in your mouth but that is the only adverse quality of this medication I have noted.

Comment from: richinbellevue, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 27

The drug works fine for my allergies. However, I play tennis and golf and I noticed that while taking this drug my hand-to-eye coordination declines significantly. I am 99% certain that it is caused by the drug.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 17

Never before had an allergy medicine that treated my year-round symptoms completely. I use the generic form of this drug and it's miraculous.

Related Reading: allergy