Flovent HFA

Comment from: blossom, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 14

Since Aerobid is no longer being made, I needed a replacement (I took it with Serevent for many years). I tried this medication (Flovent) and got no benefit - only bad side effects. It caused uncontrollable, nonstop cough, rapid heartbeat, asthma attack, and wheezing. Also caused me to have almost lost my voice, sore throat, and leg cramps. I could only take this twice before stopping. Had to use my nebulizer to stop the coughing/wheezing caused by this medication.

Related Reading: aerobid | flovent | cough

Comment from: Judy G., 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 07

I found my voice was affected by using this drug. It very often sounded scratchy and like I was getting laryngitis. And I developed a sometimes heavy phlegm build-up. I was lucky that I didn't also get thrush. It was effective in the beginning, but after a year, my doctor put me on anew medication that I start tomorrow. I could never quite shake the cough I had most of the time.

Related Reading: laryngitis | thrush

Comment from: mom, 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 21

My son is 6 years old and was taking Singular, had developed severe behavior problems so the doctor put him on Flovent HFA 44mg and since he has been taking it for the last 2 months he is having even worse problems. Aggressiveness, hating everything and everyone, always wanting to be alone instead of with his friends. Do not recommend.

Related Reading: flovent hfa

Comment from: jerzie7, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 08

My four year old son has been on this medication for only one month, but it has been the craziest month ever. He is a totally different child. He is always super hyper, and before he was the calmest kid ever. Everyone sees the difference. He gets upset easy and back talks about everything. He also just doesn't look like he feels good. He has dark circles under his eyes, and he isn't eating very much so he looks pale and skinny. He has always been thin, but he is really showing it. All the doctors say he is normal, but I am really bothered by it, but afraid to stop it because he has really bad asthma attacks without it.

Related Reading: asthma

Comment from: alinsfnm, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 28

Though I have friends who take this and are doing well on it, it was a real disaster for me. I didn't know why at first, but I had to take more than the reccommended dose to get the same effectiveness as the inhaler I had been taking. Then, over the next few weeks and months, I got side effects including: bruising on my arms, rise in blood sugar, and increased susceptibility to infection. By the time I had figured out what was going on, I'd had pneumonia and my asthma was worse. By the time a doctor finally said that research showed Flowvent could cause bruising, I had deduced that it had got into my blood stream somehow and caused these symptoms. Clearly my experience is NOT true of the majority who use Flovent. It is a wonderful solution for many asthmatics. But if someone experiences bruising and/or symptoms similar to oral cortico-steroids, my personal experience suggests that some other cortico-steroid inhaler would be better for that individual. :-o (PS: it tasted like hybiscus to me, but you just can's go by my sense of taste!)

Related Reading: pneumonia

Comment from: Lady Surprise, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 24

This is only my second day and already I feel great! I'm not tired anymore and I can breath normal. This stuff is great!

Comment from: christina, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 16

since the da i got on this drug i have felt like i was getting the flu, however i haver had my flu shot so i knew it wasnt that .every day has gotten worse so today i looked up the side effects . and wouldnt you know everything i have been feeling is listed on there.i gue4ss its back to my dr and t5ry again . this one just wont do. i havae enough problems without serious side effects. but that does not mean every one willl have them . i just know from past allways look up side effects if you start feeling funny.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: londonrain, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 24

My 8 year old daughter is on this medication to help with her asthma and I do not like this medication.She started complaining about how it makes her heart feel funny right after taking it and it has caused her to be this really hyperactive child who doesn't sleep.When I informed her doctor of these things he accused me of giving her the wrong inhaler because 'Flovent does not make a child's heart beat fast'.Her doctor,despite telling him five times that it was a red and orange inhaler with a counter on the back,brought in two inhalers covering the name and made me show him which one it was I gave her.When it was determined I was giving her the right inhaler he just brushed off these symptoms and told me to continue to give her the medication.And on top of that the medication does almost nothing to help control her asthma.So I have a hyperactive, child who does not sleep,who looks tired and acts tired in that she is grumpy a lot of the time,and her asthma is still not under control.Very disappointed in this medication not to mention we will be switching doctor's.

Related Reading: asthma | flovent

Comment from: T Toes, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 05

This has helped rid me of the congestion and goopy lungs/chest. I now have not needed to use my albuterol inhaler in about 3 weeks. Within a few days I was down to using the rescue inhaler once a night, now I breathe well and feel much better. Just have some hoarseness that I hope may resolve soon.

Related Reading: albuterol | hoarseness

Comment from: jmay, 3-6 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 29

My 5 year old has been on this med for a little over a year. Now only uses it in peak allergy months. Does cause a change in her mood and behavior for the first couple weeks, and makes her a bit hyper. But its not so bad as long as she can breathe. My other concern is that since beginning this med she has gain 10 pounds in just about 1 year.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 30

eye dr said it has caused me to have cataracts. no fun.

Related Reading: cataracts

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 28

Has been effective in supressing simptoms. I developed cataracts, requiring surgery. Don't know whether or not this drug was causative.

Comment from: Leigh, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 16

I have been taking the Flovent HFA inhaler once a day as prescribed for a little over 5 months now. It has not improved my asthma symptoms. I am still having to use my Albuterol rescue inhaler. In addition, I have had more colds and/or upper respiratory infections in the past 5 months than I've had in the past 5 or 6 years! I counted them up. Since November, I've had 7 total, every 2-4 weeks. Whereas, if I EVER got sick, it used to be maybe once a year. This really concerns me. After reading the mouse-print drug info that accompanies the inhaler, I saw that it will likely decrease cortisol and/or adrenal levels and that your Dr. should do labwork to test these levels. Decreased levels can result in colds and upper respiratory infections. My Dr. has not ordered or performed tests to check my levels. So, I've significantly reduced my dosage and use of Flovent and plan to see my Dr. very soon. I still have respiratory congestion, but over the past few days, I have noticed that I have a bit more energy. At this point, I'm very determined to stop using this medicine altogether.

Related Reading: flovent hfa | albuterol

Comment from: 0-2 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: November 28

My daughter who is 18 months old has not had any severe troubles breathing since she started Flovent, however she has behavior problems, severe temper tantrums, anger and crazy mood swings. My other two boys 3 and 6 also take Flovent and are hyper after taking it but have showed no behavior problems. Her doctors are reconsidering keeping her on it because of the side effects.

Comment from: sk8ter, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 23

Flovent HFA has changed my life. I actually forget I have asthma now, which is a true miracle considering that I was having so much difficulty that I was going to have to file for disability and was having to take sctroids like candy. Guys, I caught a cold which turned into bronchitis on this stuff and NO coughing up blood, NO breathing problems, and NO steroids needed!!! What's weird is that the powder form of Flovent did not work for me; just the aerosal. My doctor told me that the powder can be a problem for some people. I have tried all kinds of inhalers including Symbicort, Advair, Serevent, Asmonex, you name it. Nothing worked. I was in despair. You know how it is ... anyway, now I am like a normal person. One thing I will say is that for the first week or so, it did make me a little jumpy, but now I have NO side effects whatsover. I do the Flovent, Claritin, real sudafed, Flonase, and Singulair and I am good to go. Only use the albuterol once in a while. The only drawback is I hate having to clean the inhaler with a Q-tip once a week. That's why I gave ease of use at 3 stars. But even that is not so bad.

Related Reading: bronchitis | symbicort | claritin

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 31

I experienced slight loss of voice since I started this drug but I have been alright with it other than that. I was told that singing is good to break up the junk to break up the stuff in my vocal cords because it vibrates. I also rinse with salt water and it helps. I gargle with it too.

Comment from: mugg's, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 26

have mild copd from smoking this helps to control shortness of breath along with daily spiriva

Related Reading: smoking | spiriva

Comment from: blue, 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 02

My 4 yr old grandson started using Flovent 44mcg in August without much success. Doctor upped the doseage to 110mcg at the end of Oct. Now, a month later, my grandson is a different child. His asthma is under control, but his behavior is terrible. He is super hyper, has trouble sleeping, screams, cries, talks back, in addition to throwing & hitting. I've reduced him to 1 puff a day until I can get in touch with his doctor.

Related Reading: flovent | asthma

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 28

I have used this med for over 6 years and it has managed asthma very well and only need rescue inhaler occasionally. My Dr. said I could try going off it after the allergy season was overbut I immediately got conge so have been on it ever since. I do bruise easily and bleed under the skin from a minor bump, but I can breathe!

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: charl, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 25

My 3 year old son has been on this inhaler for over a year and it has made a huge difference. We have not had to go to the ER since starting, have not had to take oral steroids, and it has greatly reduced the need for Albuterol and use of his nebulizer. It made him a little hyper at first, but now that he has used it for a long time there is no difference in his behavior. (he still gets VERY hyper if he takes the Albuterol of Xopenex)It is difficult to know if he is getting all of the medication because of the aerochamber, but all in all his asthma has improved.

Related Reading: albuterol | xopenex

Comment from: Darth42, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 08

Been on treatment for only 3 days (2x per day) and have noticed a considerable improvement. I have not had any major asthma triggers while on Flovent. For the first time since I was diagnosed with asthma, I did not use my inhaler during exercise yesterday. I have had no side effects whatsoever, and I was concerned I would have major throat/upper respiratory tract irritation (Advair did that to me and I had to stop taking it). The only negative thing about Flovent is the retail price of approx. $235 for a 2-month supply. However, many health insurance providers cover some of the cost like mine. Other than that, I have been extremely satisfied with Flovent and able to enjoy living without the anxiety of wondering when my next flare up will occur.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 01

I have used this periodically for a couple years and when I am in my high asthma season it really helps to calmm things down. I generally use in the spring and then am good for the rest of the year. I just need to remember to start before the asthma kicks in.

Comment from: sammiJo, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 07

I have been taking it for about a week, I have no voice and feel like I have been hit with a truck. I am going to go back to my doctor to see what she would recommend but..I am not crazy about this one. :(

Comment from: pdekyoung, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 17

concerned about easy and frequent bleeding under the skin which seems to increase with length of use

Comment from: restless in ridgeville, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 07

My 8 yr old son has been on this for over a year- he only takes during winter months so a cold doesn't cause his asthma to flare up-he takes 1 puff a day- he is off of it from June to October- it has been great for him- however recently he had a viral infection which caused a cough so as the doctor directed we upped the dose to 2 puffs twice a day. It's been 5 days and he now has trouble sleeping-no energy-nose is stayiong stuffed. I am decreasing his dose back to one puff a day-2 puffs twice a day is obviously too much!

Related Reading: asthma | cough