Fortamet

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 24

I take Fortamet to treat PCOS. The 1000mg dose is a very large tablet, and since I cannot break it up, it can be difficult to swallow. However, it is much easier on my stomach than Metformin.

Related Reading: fortamet | metformin

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 29

The 1000 mg pill is big and difficult to swallow so I got my dr to prescribe it as two 500 mg two times a day -- much easier to swallow the 500s, which are a little larger than aspririns

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 28

Experance Tenderness in my Stomach;with pain

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 20

I am taking this drug for metobolic syndrome. I have had no s/e from it so far and was unable to take metformin and my dose is currently being increased. The huge pills are hard to swallow. I am hopeful that my serum insulin level comes down and that is works well to assist with some weight loss.

Related Reading: metformin

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 23

It's the best metformin the only one I can use But I can't afford it.

Comment from: guiness, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 12

Have been using this medication for over four years and watching my diet... Last blood work results showed my levels have decreased so whatever I am doing I am doing something correct...

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 04

The pills are very thick and hard to swallow. I have lost abt 25 lbs because of diarrea, my a1c numbers are good but the quality of life not so good, my doctor says it should get better, I am tired of changing drugs

Comment from: lindamcb58, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 08

It took 4 days of taking this before I got severe diarrhea that I had to take anti diarrhea meds for. I didn't take one last night and I still had diarrhea this morning. I can't take Metformin and I told the doctor that. They assured me that this was not Metformin, it is, just in a different form.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 22

The difference in the Metformin that I was on and the Fortamet is that the Metformin was "fast acting" and now the Fortamet that I am on is "slow acting"...according to my endocronologist. I have a friend who had the same reaction with the metformin and the fortamet has also helped her. Take the fortamet just as directed and you should feel better and have better readings. Stick to your diet. I feel better than I have in years. I have a son who is a Type I diabetic and he eats right and exericises every day and is doing great.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 27

I take it along with Byetta every day for about 2 years.

Related Reading: byetta

Comment from: sizzler, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 02

Fortamet has worked with my blood sugar numbers. Can't take the big 1000 pill. Using two 500 daily. My one complaint is the smell of this medication -- smells like old fish.

Comment from: BaylorBearister, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 02

I have been taking Fortamet for just over one week. I have had intermittent diarrhea. The most significant side effect has been a bad taste that makes foods taste the way old cigarette ashes smell.

Comment from: trudy46, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 09

I had been taking regular Metformin for approxdimately 8 months. My blood sugar was under control but I had severe diarhea to the point of many embarrassing "accidents". My doctor changed me to Fortamet approximately 5 weeks ago and I am so much better. I have not had any "accidents" since I changed to Fortamet. My blood sugar readings are very good now.

Related Reading: metformin | fortamet

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 03

just started taking 500mg once a day for 30days then 2x a day after that of fortamet seems to work better for me then generic metformin stick to brand no diarrhea.. good luck hope this helps i hope i can lose weight on it and my a1c numbers go down..

Related Reading: fortamet | metformin | diarrhea

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 02

My only motivation for writing this review is to help those of you with digestive trouble due to taking Fortamet ER(metformin). I had severe upset stomach when taking generic metformin so my doctor switched me to Fortamet ER. Although it is the same drug as metformin, the extended release tablet helps with digestive problems by not dumping so much medication into your system at once. The MOST important thing to know about taking any metformin drug is to eat LOTS of protein when you take the pills and throughout the day. My doctor even recommended drinking a protein shake, which has about 23g of protein, with the medicine. Doing this stopped any stomach upset I was having. The other key to avoiding side effects is to build up slowly to your ideal dose.

Comment from: ls, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

I have only been on it for two weeks; I have learned to deal with the headaches, as that seems to be the only side effect for now.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 04

I almost choked to death the first (and only)time I tried to take it. I had to be taken by ambulance to the ED and they administered medication by IV to enable me to swallow this HUGE pill. Watson Pharmaceuticals told me they would reimburse me my $40.00 copay, but it has been 7 weeks and all they have done is give me the run around. I wouldn't recommend this medication to anyone.

Comment from: GEV, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 22

Although the meds helped keep my blood sugar down, I have experienced bad headaches and dizziness with nauseau.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: clovercat, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 07

While the 1000mg pill is difficult to swallow because of its size, I had little/no side effects with this compared to the nausea/diarrhea I experienced with taking two 500mg metformin er pills.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 11

I learned to take it right at bed-entire dose of 2000 mg and it takes away all nauseau (sp) and diarrhea.

Comment from: aarchack, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 24

I've experienced severe diarrhea and stomache tenderness, but I've found that this medication is easier on my body than regular metformin.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 01

I experienced hair loss and terrible acid indigestion. Otherwise it worked really good.

Related Reading: hair loss | indigestion

Comment from: workoutgirl, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 02

I have been taking this now for several months and still have intermittent diarrhea; however, not interefering with daily activites. It does seem to give me a loss of appetite, however. I do feel better since I've been taking it for PCOS.

Type 2 Diabetes: Signs, Symptoms, Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: Neblina, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 26

On August my sugar was 150. Last test (February) it lowered to 101. My cycles are coming back to normal and ovulation has improved.

Comment from: England, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 14

I just started taking this last night but I'm confused after reading the reviews. You say you couldn't take Metformin and now on Fortamet and doing better. The box I'm looking at right now says Fortamet Metformin HCI extended-release tablets 500 mg. So aren't they the same???

Related Reading: metformin | fortamet