Forteo

Comment from: WindBlown, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 26

This drug has worked great for me. I haven't had any side effects and the injection is painless and simple.

Comment from: plunk, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 25

I have used this product for 18 months with wonderful results. Shots were simple to give and I have had no side effects.

Comment from: BonnieG, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 15

My bone density improved greatly with the use of this product, however, the side effects are horrendous. I am weak, dizzy, sluggish, very tired all the time. I am going to stop taking it.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 29

I took this drug for one year and started having pain down my left arm under my arm pit and my chest. I stpped taking it and the pain stopped. I did have a 24% increase in bone mass in one year except for my wrist, which got worse.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 23

Forteo has caused deep caries of the roots of my teeth

Related Reading: forteo

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 11

My doctor insisted that this was the drug for me. I took it for 16 days. Developed SEVERE nausea, indigestion, fatigue, chest pain. No antacid would help. After stopping the injections, began to improve in two or three days. Back to normal self now. Dr. will not believe drug was cause, but I know my body. Would not recommend that anyone take it.

Related Reading: indigestion | fatigue | chest pain

Comment from: Cynthia, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 56 years old and experieced menopause produced by hysterectomy at age 30. I found out that I have osteoporosis and have been taking Forteo for almost 5 months now. No symptoms until the beginning of the 3rd month, when muscle and bone pain began occuring in the lower leg, ankle, feet, thighs, and all along the arm, from shoulder down. I am extremely fatigued all the time and feel like I have the flu. Could Forteo be causing this? I don't think there is enough information about side effects out there for us, and at this point I think I'd rather have another broken foot than continue to take a medication that costs me in excess of $800 per month and makes me feel so badly (at least I'm beginning to think it's associated)! Just curious to know if anyone else feels the same. Have you experienced these symptoms - have you discussed them with your doctor and what has the doctor recommended or said? Thanks for sharing ladies!

Related Reading: menopause | osteoporosis | flu

Comment from: cathy0828, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 18

I have been on Forteo for 16 months and a recent Dexascan showed my density to be the same as when I started. I have received no explantion from Drs why this is. I plan on stopping this shot at the first of the year.

Comment from: beapanow, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 25

Bone density is worse. I would not recommend.

Comment from: Kayla, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 17

After 3 months the side effects were unbelievable,joint pain, stomach pain, hair loss, anxiety increase, hunger increase,dizzy spells, mood swings, throat felt full or swelled at times--I decided to stop Forteo myself, The Docter didn't approve, of course, but as I said to her, she should try it herself, and maybe it would change her mind about perscribing it. I now take an awsome, Holistic approach, and feel I can take control with the proper Calcium,Mag,and D combination---healthy eating, exercising,bone building herbal teas, and many other supplements. I recommend a visit with a certified Nutritionist/Herbalist so you can take control of your bone regrowth-instead of Forteo decreasing your daily quality of life---Good Luck to all of you---And may God bless you with healthy bones!!!

Related Reading: hair loss | anxiety

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 18

My mother took Forteo for two years for osteoporosis. She also suffered from chronic renal disease. I have been researching Forteo because my mother developed a malignant tumor that wrapped around L4 and L5. By the time it was diagnosed, it was stage 4 and she recently passed away from it. I have read that she should not have taken it because of her renal failure. I am wondering if she should have been monitored more closely for this malignant growth. I am not convinced it is a safe drug. I would like to continue to research this and ascertain that this drug is safe.

Related Reading: forteo | osteoporosis

Comment from: Sher, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 20

Just started taking this Jan 08, Have already broken a hip (10/07)and can not take the oral meds. I am a nurse and did the research on the drug, it is easy to inject and have had no side effects but the bone scan in Dec. 08 will tell the tale. On Xray my bones are quite thin and you can see through them.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 14

Before starting Forteo, I broke my right hip and had to have it replaced. Doctor told me up front that it would be a 2 year treatment procedure. Have administered the daily shot for 14 months now. I have fallen a couple of times since (hard falls too) with no brakes! I know that it is helping me! Even though I don't like giving myself shots, I hate broke bones worse! Thanks.

Comment from: Angie from Austin, Tx., 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 12

I was treated for years with Evista and Actonel. However, every year my bone density test revealed worse results. My doctor recomended Forteo. I put if off for one year being fearful of bone cancer. She kept insisting and I used it for 6-1/2 months. I had no side effects, but when I had a blood test, the levels of alkaline phosphatase were very elevated. I immediately stopped using this drug. I just went to my doctor for a bone density test and there was some improvement and after 6 months the alkaline phostase had decreased substantially, but the combined number was still out-of-range and the levels in the bone was at the top of the expected range. She wants me to go back on Forteo, but I am very reluctant to do so. I am more willing to wait for the new drug from Amgen (Denosumab), since I have not had a fracture since I was a little girl.

Related Reading: evista | actonel | bone cancer

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 07

I have taken forteo for 4 months. Increased joint and bone pain, loss of hair on my head, hair growth on my face, lump in arm pit, leg cramps, constipated, very very tired. back pain, full feeling in my neck near my thyroid. I have stopped the shot, and will discuss this with my doctor this week. side effects are to much for me to take. Felt better before taking forteo.

Related Reading: forteo

Comment from: Heather49404, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 22

I have been on the Forteo for 9 months because I have osteoporosis/Degenerative Disc Disease. Had surgury on my neck in March 2008. My beginning experience with Forteo was good, however the last two months I have had bad bouts with the my bowels and lack of appetite. My stomach hurts all the time and I'm not hungry. My bone pain has increased and I now am having problems with pain in my jaw. This bone pain in so severe that it effects my abilitiy to walk. I however did have the bone pain prior to the use of Forteo. Some days my bone pain is worse than others. My doctors give me no explanation for this pain. I have recently stopped taking the Forteo and the bouts with my bowels has disappeared. I am still waiting for the doctor to get back with me as to what I should do now. I also have been taking multi vitamins, calcium w/D 1200 mgs. a day and was told by my doc to also take vitamin D-400 with D3 once a day for my Osteo. All together I'm not to sure as to weather I wan't to continue this medicine or just take a break from it for a month or two. Then try again. Prior to taking Forteo, I was on Boniva. I have had no bone scans done since the use of Forteo. I can only hope that when I go back into the doctors he will help me find out what is causing me to have such severe pain in my legs,hips and feet.Also the jaw pain concerns me. I guesss I worry about possible cancer or pagets disease. Hopefully everthing comes out ok. Best of luck to all of you who are on Forteo.

Related Reading: vitamins | vitamin d | boniva

QUESTION

What is another medical term for osteoporosis? See Answer
Comment from: concerned , 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 27

I took this injection from August to December. I had severe joint pain from my shoulders down to my hands. I also had swelling in my wrists, hands, and fingers. I was told no one else had a reaction like this to this drug.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 05

I was taking Forteo injections for 2 years, maximum. After bone density tests the results no change in low bone mass bone mass, same as before injections, but no more fracturing during injections. I got muscle spasms in calfs, and loss of hair! My hair is still not healthy and got very thin, from Forteo. I'm on Fosomax now and just read that not only at risk for jaw loss but now thigh bone fracturing. I'm worried putting Forteo in my body with reports of cancer occuring, and now these reports about Fosomax. Bottom line is I hope we don't hear more cases of cancer caused by using Forteo.

Related Reading: forteo | muscle spasms | cancer

Comment from: Caremme, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 01

I have steroid induced osteoporosis. I have been taking Forteo for a little over a year with improvement in bone density. I have slight injection sight pain sometimes and also experienced some muscle spasms that have mostly gone away with continued treatment.

Related Reading: osteoporosis

Comment from: Candie Shirley-daughter, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 01

My mother who was taking this medication for 3 months passed away. She had a sudden enlarged vestibular tumor and an enlarged thyroid, causing her to have difficulty swallowing. She then developed aspiration pneumonia. She was admitted to the hospital on December 20, 2007 and passed away on January 11, 2008.

Related Reading: pneumonia

Comment from: lwcorn, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 22

I am a 61 year old woman, and am on my 8th month of treatment. I have no problem with injections, nor have I had any reactions at the site of injections. The first couple of days I experienced normal side effects, rapid heart beat, and dizziness. I chose a time to inject when I could just sit for 2o minutes. These side effects went away after a couple of weeks. I feel fine, probably better than ever because I have started walking/jogging in addition to the injection. I want to stimulate bone growth, build a little muscle to help hold my bones up, and I want to do my part in helping the drug work. I do have leg pain that comes and goes, like growing pains, and sometimes I have cramps in different places. I tolerate these side effects in hopes that between the drug and my increased activity, I will have successful results. I will have blood work done next month, but a dexascan is not schedulted anytime soon. I am keeping a positive attitude. I got a second opinion, and my need for the drug was confirmed without reservation. My mother is 87 with lots of fractures and has a dowgers hump which keeps her from standing up straight, and limits her arm movment. I am hoping FORTEO will give me better prognosis at 87.

Related Reading: dizziness | forteo

Comment from: SSSSS, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 13

After four months, I developed pains in both elbows, both knees and both upper arms. My doctor is so enamored with Forteo that she will not consider the possibility that this drug is causing the pain.

Comment from: shelley, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 30

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 5 years ago. Actinol did not work as I did not absorb it. Have been on forteo for 3 months. Have had many side effects of hip, knee, jaw, ankle and back pain exacerbating sciatica.Easy to use. No problems with injections. I need to stay on this drug. Please advise if you have any suggestions how to cope with these side effects. We are all in this together to help support one another. I look forward to hearing coping strategies.

Related Reading: forteo | sciatica

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 16

After having multiple breaks in most vertebrae due to severe osteoporosis (after early menopause at 40), I was given Forteo and have been taking for 11 months. HAS WORKED AND NO SIDE EFFECTS! This replaced pain meds, routine injections into spine which had risks, PT expense limited by insurance. It was clear to multiple doctors I would continue to lose bone mass and I am only 50. Medications could stop bone loss but I had high risk of continued breaks. I even went to back surgeon's who tout those new fusing solutions but I was rejected as they thought I would have more breaks! I started Forteo in January. Easy to use. In July I was in a major car accident. NOT ONE BROKEN BONE! Doctors were amazed as I was in a truck that ran into rock wall and was totaled. I walked out of the ER with no issues. In terms of cost. ELI LILLY can send you a prescription savings card so without thus savings card, I would pay $400/month under my insurance as it is a Tier 4 drug. But I only pay $50/month thanks to this card! All meds have risks. But if anyone has cracked a vertebrae, especially up in thoracic region, you know quality of life is significantly impacted. My life now with zero pain, no pain meds, no outpatient steroid shots (where I risk paralyzation), is awesome! I am too young!! Thank you for FORTEO!!

Related Reading: menopause | broken bone

Comment from: Marcy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 09

Had bone density test done after 1 year of being on drug & showed a decline in bone density--Not increase

Osteoporosis Super-Foods for Strong Bones With Pictures See Slideshow