Frova

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 18

Even though I already take Topamax as preventative for my migraines I still get them every now and then and when I do they are bad. This Frova is great I only have to take it once and can function as normal. Cost is secondary if the relief is primary.

Related Reading: topamax | frova

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 27

I suffer from menstrual migraines and this medication has brought much relief.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 29

I am very pleased with this drug. I can take it at work and it not make me drowsy!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 09

I have clusters and this has been working pretty well to treat them, except this last time (today) - I have taken 2 in 4 hrs and still the headache isn't completely gone - but at least I can function! My co-pay is very expensive on this at the pharmacy, so you may want to check that out first so you aren't unpleasantly surprised.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a migrane that lasted two weeks within the first few hours of taking this medication my migrane was gone.

Comment from: JANE, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 08

DO NOT TAKE THIS MED OUTSIDE OF A DOCTORS OFFICE! I HAD HEART PALPITATIONS AND CHEST PAIN WITH A FEW MINUTES OF TAKING IT AND AFTER A FEW HOURS AN EXTREMELY DRY MOUTN!

Related Reading: palpitations | chest pain

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 16

had menstrual migraines for 30 years..couldn't afford Imitrex when offered years ago...now I take Frova (on insurance) only as needed and it works great. I can take it and go to work it also has a great calming effect on me. I might want a nap at end of day, but the pain is gone!

Related Reading: imitrex

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 07

WONDERFUL! I was going to the ER for shots of Nubaine for the pain-then I found this. I haven't had a shot since! NO Side effects, works the first time.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 11

As everyone else has stated, this medicine is pricey, but I promise you well worth it! After trying 5 other medicines, I am finally taking this and it is wonderful. I can take this medicine at work and it does not make me sleepy. Also I can take this medicine the night before if I know the weather is going to change drastically overnight (which is a major trigger for my migraines) and I will wake up the next morning with no headache. Sometimes I do have to take a second pill to get full relief, but not often.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 01

First RX thatever helped get rid of my chronic migraines. On few occasions may need a second pill. Some mild twilight feelings for a few hours after taken but nothing major.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 24

This medicine works almost always for my migraines, which are very severe. My migraines can last a week or longer if I don't catch it right at the moment it starts. It is very expensive, but worth it.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 27

If caught early in the headache, one tablet will usually suffice. Two tablets, taken a few hours apart, will almost always take care of the headache. Makes my teeth numb though and usually causes mild "medicine head". :)

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 02

This is an awesome product, but VERY expensive!

Comment from: vagrrl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 28

Unbelievable menstrual migraines. This drug has saved my sanity so many times. Only drawback - takes about an hour to work and you should lie down for about an hour after taking it. Also, they need to lower the price on this drug. Too much mark-up!

Comment from: rayrick, 7-12 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 28

BE CAREFULL. My nephew who is 11 had/has migranes from a fall he took in August 2009. He was given Frova for the migraine. When he took the pill on the onset of pain, in no time he became loopy but he snapped out of it with in a few hours. Later that night, on the on set of another pain, we gave him a second pill. The loopyness with the chance of harming himself/others came back but lasted for days this time in a local hospital. We through out all pills after that. Now he gets the same loopy side effects w/o the meds. Right now he's in a mental ward with with people trying to figure out how to fix this. When it comes to your kids taking the meds, be very carefull. VERY CAREFULL

Related Reading: frova

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 13

I began experiencing migraines in January '09 and was very frightened. I still don't have a reason for why I all of a sudden started getting them. I have been thru all the tests with no real results. My doctor finally precribed Frova and at first it was wonderful...one pill and the headache was gone within an hour. Now I am having to take 2 pills a couple hours apart to get any relief and then it's not completely gone just dulled enough so I can function. I consider this medication effective because even though it doesn't totally relieve my migraine pain all the time at least I can function. I don't go anywhere without it because I never know when one is gonna hit me. It is pricey but my insurance covers it completely. I have no side effects whatsoever.I would strongly recommend this medication to anyone experiencing any kind of migraine pain.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 12

works great, but like others have said in a little pricey>

Comment from: cally, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 28

I used Imitrex to treat medium to severe migraine attacks/clusters in the past, but felt that I usually had to take it and then sit in silence and darkness until it kicked in, felt extreme heart racing and chest pains, plus no guarantee of relief. I would often have to suffer a couple more hours and take another one and see what would happen. My new Dr. suggested Frova about 5 years ago and I love it. It can be taken when working or continuing to do whatever you normally do. There is no discomfort or weird sensations and approx. 90% of the time, it eliminates the migraine and keeps it away.

Related Reading: imitrex

Comment from: Sweetredhead, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 27

I have suffered with Migraine headaches for over 25 years. I have tried Imatrex, Migrainal, Accupunture, Biofeedback, Physical Therapy and nothing has ever even touched the pain. The first time I tried Frova it took away my migraine not just knocked it down I mean it got rid of it like it was never there. It has been a miracle drug for me and gave me back my life. My life was a horrible experience due to migraines and their control of it. I now can make plans and not worry what if I get a migraine I know it will be gone in a matter of minutes.

Comment from: Wacoan, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 02

I have tried a number of different medications, but this medication allows me to overcome my migraines within an hour or two and then I can salvage the day. Before, my pain lasted for several hours and then I could really only recover after getting some sleep. Now, I take a pill and I'm better within an hour or so. If not, I take another one and that certainly takes care of it.

Comment from: muddypaws, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 30

I have recently discovered a money-saving trick about migraine medicines, for me. I have migraines that generally last for 4 days, triggered by just about anything: hormones (menstrual and mid-cycle), weather changes, perfume/smoke/other chemical exposure, sudden drastic change in sleep time/hours, stress or overexertion - you name it. I have found Frova and Relpax both to be pretty effective (Relpax makes my whole body hurt - as if every surface is bruised. I don't generally experience that side-effect with Frova). But like everyone else, I find the cost hard-to-swallow, even with insurance. My last two migraines have occurred at a time I just didn't have enough money for more than a couple of pills. I decided to try taking just a small piece of a Relpax (about 1/3 of a pill), and it WORKED! Next time I tried it with the Frova, and again it got rid of the migraine. WOW! I am thrilled. P.S. For those with menstrual migraines, I have also found that if I regularly take a high-dose B-vitamin supplement, my migraines are reduced in severity and duration. Also take Aleve along with the Frova or Relpax also seems to boost the drugs. Worth trying. One final note - once I had to go on a STRICTLY NATURAL diet consisting of only natural meats and veggies, no grains, sugars, fruits, or aged or processed items for about 6 months, and after the first 2 months, my migraines COMPLETELY disappeared and didn't return until a YEAR later. Hard to live like that, though.

Related Reading: stress | relpax

QUESTION

Who suffers more frequently from migraine headaches? See Answer
Comment from: [email protected], 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 26

I've been suffering from severe mirgrains since I was 13. Being 21, I finally have been prescribed Frova. This drug works wondefully. I had taken the first pill about an hour after I started feeling a slight pain come on. Within an hour, my headache was relieved. I did feel sleepy after taking the pill. And, there was no need for the second pill. And 7 hours later, still no headache. This has worked better then anything I have ever tried! I am so glad for relief finally.

Related Reading: frova | headache

Comment from: Migrainehead, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 31

Have used Frova for several years with great success...it takes longer to "kick in" but also relieves migraine pain for 24 hours. Rarely do I need to take a 2nd one. The sooner you take it the better the result. It is super expensive and I have issues getting insurance to cover it as a first choice. Usually have to prove that I've tried others and they don't work. It's really frustrating.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 12

It is WAY too expensive I can't afford it works well used others and it's not covered by my insurance so I can't afford $536 for 12 pills so I have to suffer without it

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 21

Frova is the best medication I have taken for my chronic migraines; however it is $50 per pill. I can't afford it, I hope a generic comes out soon.