Gammagard

Comment from: Wendy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 26

I was diagnosed with diffuse scleroderma 8/09 & had sudden onset of acute myositis 10/19/09..couldn't walk, breathe, swallow, stay awake, extreme muscle pain, barely whisper, high CPK's. Almost intubated. After many tests & diagnosed with myositis the DRs started me on 5 day course of Gammagard. Felt better after day 1 & able to walk, swallow, talk & breathe better. Just finished day 4 & only have slight balance problems, SOB with exertion only, & minimal pain. My mobility & joint pain from the scleroderma has improved 75%! The only problems I've had with the treatment were slight flushing & RUQ pain the 1st day. It's amazing!

Related Reading: scleroderma | gammagard

Comment from: Wendy 1651, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 14

I must stay overnight in the hospital one day every 3-4 weeks for IVIG (gammaguard) infusions. This treatment along with a daily dose of 500mg. of the antibiotic zithromax has greatly reduced the amount of infections I have been getting.

Related Reading: zithromax

Comment from: triciaub13, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 15

VERY inconvenient as this is administered every 4 weeks via Infusion! Always have flu-like symptoms, for 2-4 days after infusion. Hardest part is the infusion itself. Time consuming, painful poking trying to find a vein. Immediately after infusion I have high blood pressure (goes down within hours though), chills, headache, and extreme fatigue/flu-like symptoms (1-4 days after infusion). I wish there was an easier way to administer this drug. I do have to stress though, it really works well! Despite all the uncomfortable side effects I experience, I usually feel back to myself within 4 days.

Related Reading: flu | high blood pressure | headache

Comment from: DTALLEY2, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 06

I have side effects. I have flu like symptoms, fatigue, and sometimes, when the nurse increases the gammaguard, I have reactions such as nausea, breaking out, shortness of breath and blood pressure dropping.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 12

After my first two infusions I experienced headache & upset stomach. (I took a 10 mg prednisone the morning of my trx. prescribed by my dr). Not as bad as the dr. had described. No issues since first two treatments. It does take 3 hours, but it has kept me from getting sick this fall. Hoping for an illness free fall, winter and spring!

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: Jbabyncville, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 06

Although I ended up with Aseptic Meningitis using this product, for me it is still a life saver. I'm infused every two weeks...

Related Reading: meningitis

Comment from: Paul P, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 22

first series saved my life 5X50gr second series 5 weeks later was a waste of time and money no measureable bebefit

Comment from: DWW, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 10

I have been taking this medication for almost 2 years now. I cant tell if it is helping me or not. I do know that after my first treatment my wife and I got pregnant and suffered a miscarriage. The doctor can not tell me if this had anything to do with this or not. I would love any information anyone else may have.

Related Reading: miscarriage

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 20

Very little side effects with this medication, and noticeable difference in my health and how I felt after just two monthly treatments.

Comment from: sghouse, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 28

The first time I had to have this treatment I had to go to the Cancer Treatment Center outpatient for 5 consecutive days. I just had another treatment but they had a home nurse come to my house for 5 consceutive days. I had the option of going into the hospital but with SLE I don't like the risk of going to the hospital and getting an infection. I really have felt much better with this treatment and with the ease of being at home makes it less stressful on everyone.

Related Reading: cancer