Geodon

Comment from: David45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 23

First, to those that have a bad experience with any medication, do not make statement that that medication should be removed from the market simply because you had a negative reaction to it. Many more folks will benefit than will react to Geodon. It bothers me as a health professional to see untrained people making such inappropriate comments that might make someone not follow their provider's advice. I took Geodon several years ago, but had to discontinue it due to losing my health insurance. Now that I am working again, I am ecstatic to starting it again. Works miracles for me! It stopped the hypomanic episodes completely and made the depressive cycles less frequent and less rapid in their onset. Combined with behavioral therapy, I was a "normal" functioning person. The drowsiness that comes with Geodon is often the result of it being used with other medications. Make sure that your provider knows ALL of the medications you take, including over-the-counter. Spreading the doses over the day also helps with the sedation. For myself, I found that making sure I eat properly and get plenty of exercise also helped with the side-effects. Please remember that for those of us with Bipolar Disorder, the medication is just one part of the treatment plan. We all need to make sure we follow with our doctors, eat right, exercise, sleep regular patterns, and engage in proper psycho-therapy.

Related Reading: geodon | bipolar disorder

Comment from: ET25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 27

I started taking Geodon with lamictal and this drug combo has been like a miracle for me. I have bipolar disorder with psychosis and this drug completely stopped the paranoid thoughts and dellusions. I am currently on 40mg once at night and it is working well so far. My moods are also completely stable now. The only side effect I have is trouble swallowing which I take 25mg of benadryl with it and it relieves that side effect. Other than that, no problems.

Related Reading: geodon | lamictal | bipolar disorder

Comment from: Chloe34735-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 07

This medicine in combination with Depakote and Prozac and wellbutrin has finally made the difference. I'm functioning very well and rarely miss out on life due to symptoms related to my bipolar anymore.

Related Reading: depakote | prozac | wellbutrin

Comment from: Jamesx35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 06

Avoided this drug for years cause of negative things I had heard but my experience for the past year taking it has been great. Total game changer. Sorry I didnt take it sooner. Its stabilized my mood better than any antipsychotic Ive been on and makes a marked difference controlling and dialing down hallucinations. The main side effect for me is drowsiness but over time that has faded.

Comment from: LT35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 31

I've just started Geodon this past Friday. Therefore, 3 days isn't an accurate time to say Yeah or Nay!. However, thus far, it seems to help, but I wanted to comment on the vast amount of patients on here about their Medical Care. At some point, there has to be a time that you take control of your health. I'm reading some of these comments, and I'm appalled by so many of you that are "afraid to say something to your dr!" Are you completely serious that you would allow a Dr. to dictate what you feel or how you feel on a medication. If you are NOT comfortable with the results, TELL YOUR DR. THAT YOU WANT TO STOP - PERIOD! You rather stay on a medication that is making your physically and mentally sick because they said so. Are you kidding me right now! If you don't take responsibility for your own Mental Health, don't expect to get good results. I've told my Dr. NO TO MANY DRUGS BECAUSE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS. AFTER A WHILE, I DISCARDED HER AS MY PYSCH DR. NO ONE IS GOING TO KEEP ME ON A MEDICINE THAT IS MAKING ME SICK - DR. OR NO DR. FIND SOMEONE ELSE AND TAKE CONTROL AT SOME POINT FOR YOUR OWN HEALTHCARE! It's ridiculous what I'm reading by some of you - COMPLETE INSANITY! I found a Dr. that was AMAZING

Related Reading: geodon | mental health

Comment from: Jenn45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 25

So I just started taking Geodon 40mg at night about 2 weeks ago. I feel better overall except the first few days I had severe nausea and just didn't feel right. I know alot of people take it twice a day but I am scared that if I take it in the morning that it will make me super tired. I was on zyprexa before this and gained a bunch of weight and my total cholesterol and LDL shot through the roof and I wound up in the hospital due to heart palpatations and chest pressure. I am only 52 and my stress test was negative but that was why my medication was changed. I have bipolar 2 not 1 and have some hypomania but no full blown manic episodes. I do feel like my muscles hurt but they also put me on lipitor because of my cholesterol being so high which it wasn't prior to taking zyprexa. I got really bad tartive dys with abilify and rexalti. I was smacking all the time like a little old lady with no teeth. No TD so far with the Geodon but I really want to keep my dose low if I can so that does not happen again. Ingrezza did nothing for me at all. I am also on lamictal and effexor and have to take meds for sleep as well or I would be awake 24x7. I am very hopeful for weight loss on this medication and for my cholesterol to improve. I don't feel as flat and tearful as I did on zyprexa so that is good. My appetite is much less and I try and drink a Gatoraide or poweraide daily to make sure to get some electolytes in me. It seems to help. Anyone else taking it just at night or should I take 20mg twice daily for better effect? Thoughts...

Related Reading: geodon | zyprexa | cholesterol

Comment from: Ram65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: April 24

Good drug to use. Keeps me alert

Comment from: TIA25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 05

Worst drug I've ever had to take made me forget everything.

Comment from: JustSomeGirl13-18on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 17

Honestly, I really hate this medication and I've only been taking it for FIVE DAYS. I'm a junior in high school, which means homeroom starts at 7:30. My bus comes at 7, so I wake up at 6, using my alarm. Not only have I nearly missed the bus because when I get up to turn off the alarm I fall back asleep, but I can barely keep my eyes open! My friends have even commented that I randomly fall asleep for a few seconds on the bus and I have nearly fallen down the stairs at school! At my school, there are eight classes, each split into two mods. During 1-2, I don't have a class. I have had to use this time to SLEEP instead of WORK. I got marked absent because I was so tired I couldn't stay at my homeroom to wait to check in and I just had to go to the school cafe and sleep. I was OUT. My friends barely roused me in time to go to class and I was still late. Not only is this pill hindering my schoolwork, it's making things DANGEROUS! I can barely keep my eyes open when going up or down stairs, walking up the hill to the bus stop, and trying to sit down. I would NOT recommend this pill AT ALL unless you ABSOLUTELY need it!

Comment from: None35-44 Published: October 31

I took this in the morning and by late afternoon early evening I tried to kill myself.

Comment from: Alfman55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 05

It took about a month for it to start working great.give it time.

Comment from: VAPATIENT45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 13

Be careful. I was given this medication for allegedly being bi-polar by the VA. Started with 80 mg. then went to 160 mg. a day. I developed tardive dystonia. Not curable. I have been weaned down to 60 mg. a day working toward zero with no replacement med. Makes me wonder why they ever put me on it in the first place. Tardive dystonia and Geodon. Look it up.

Related Reading: dystonia | geodon

Comment from: H45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 24

My psychiatrist prescribes me Vitamin E. He informed me that Geodon depletes it from the body.

Related Reading: vitamin e | geodon

Comment from: Lcoomer45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 25

I took it for two days abd I was so out of it that I passed out on the bus going to the dr

Comment from: Tina35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 12

I recommend geodon if you're stuck in the bed due to depression. You must eat no less than 500 calories before taking it or it will make your stomach nauseous. The only side effect I don't like is restlessness at night.

Related Reading: geodon | depression

Comment from: A Case to Study45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: July 14

When I began taking Geodon, after a month of use I began to hallucinate and have muscle spasms in my extremities. My legs were the most affected; the leg spasms were so bad I was unable to sit at all and had to be medicated in order to sleep. My wife was not able to sleep with me because the spasms never subsided when I was sleeping. After 4 months I had to be hospitalized to come off Geodon due to the effects of the drug. I continued to have muscle spasms attributed to Geodon that lasted over a decade and still happen from time to time. This is only my experience but I believe it should be taken into consideration before starting this drug.

Related Reading: geodon | muscle spasms

Comment from: David Pontefract25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 30

I've noticed Blurred Vision and tension in my Jaw. I need to contact my doctor(I don't have one cause I'm on Medicaid.)

What Is Bipolar Disorder? Symptoms, Manic Episodes, Testing See Slideshow
Comment from: Ladyteller55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 05

1 month on 20mg now on 40. Sedative, which is good for my insomnia. Makes my nose stuffy/runny but only side effect so far. Lost 11 pounds in month, but also had surgery so could be why. Also on Lamictal. Rapid cycler. 2 days in hospital they didn't give it to me and had depressive episode. Related? Shortness of breath and pressure on chest at night which could be anxiety. Relieved by Valium which increases sedation. Groggy a bit during day. I'm surely giving this Rx a fair shake. So far I feel much better emotionally.

Related Reading: insomnia | lamictal | anxiety

Comment from: Miss Pam 55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 28

Be sure to read all potential side effects before using. I wound up with tongue thrust which moved teeth so badly that I need braces. Stopped the drug and it still persists. Can't get the braces because I can't stop pushing my teeth, especially at night. And to top it all off the drug only helped a little bit.