Glucophage

Comment from: PCO , 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 18

I take this for polycystic ovarian syndrome. It literally changed my life for the better in so many ways. Dealing with stomach upset is most definitely an issue but this is totally outweighed by the positive health effects.

Related Reading: polycystic ovarian syndrome

Comment from: Kaleb, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 11

For years I've had problems with irregular cycles and weight gain not knowing this was a actual disorder. I was diagnosed with pcos in July of this year. My doctor prescribed me Metformin 500mg to take 2x a day for the 1st month and then 3x day the 2nd month. I admit I was nervous from reading some of the bad reviews. Well, this is my second month and I really can tell this drug is working. Most of all it has regulated my cycles and it has helped me to lose some weight as well. I now have more energy than before and also it has helped with acne and facial hair due to having pcos. The only downside or side effect I have is sometimes I have stomach aches accompanied by diarrhea when eating greasy foods. I was told by a nurse the use of Immodium helps while taking this drug when upset stomach and diarrhea occurs which has helped me. So far I haven't had any other complaints or problems with this drug. I plan to contine using this drug and hopefully it will help my infertility issues caused by pcos so I can become a proud mother someday...

Related Reading: metformin | acne | diarrhea

Comment from: crazy, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 04

Works as long as you follow diet and taken as directed same time every day

Comment from: preggers, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 12

I was first given this medication to help my husband and I concieve. We were unable due to my polycystic ovary syndrome. It took a month to regulate my periods, and I was pregnant in the second month after a year of trying. I now take glucophage to keep my periods regular.

Related Reading: glucophage

Comment from: Anonymous, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 18

Since my former prescription of this medication, I suffered from too many negative side effects to list. I strongly urge people NOT to take this medication and to research ALL drugs thoroughly before use. I ended up hospitalized from both lack of control of my blood sugar from this medication, as well as severe chemical imbalance and dehydration due to it's use. I recommend the book, "Bad Pills, Good Pills" 2007 and internet research for more information against this dangerous medication.

Related Reading: dehydration

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 12

Just diagnosed in July 09. Taking 1000/mg day. 2hr numbers are way down. People need to realize that weight loss has a huge effect on managing #s. Lost 20lbs in first month. its not just about taking the medication. you need to be pro-active. This medication along with lifestyle change has been very effective for me.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 23

Haven't had a normal period after beginning this med. I also sweat like crazy, & tired all of the time. Anyone else with same problem?

Comment from: Sena929, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been on it since Febuary of this year for Poly cystic ovarie syndrom. At first it was really rough. I had severe diarrhea, and mood swings. Now I have a period every month and my cravings for sweets has drastically reduced. My mood swings are gone, my acne is going away and I have lost about 10 pounds so far. This medication has worked very goo for me.

Comment from: Tanveer Ahmad, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 23

I would recommend at least 30 minutes brisk walk (4 times a week)and strict calorie intake monitoring before desirable results can be achieved. Also, I find that morning fasting glucose levels are not effectively controlled.

Comment from: BillM, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 25

Acheived my A1c goals and lost weight also. No side effects. Generic pricing even for the extended release version.

Comment from: JPeg, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 20

I am taking 2000mg of metformin a day. 1000 in a.m. and 1000mg in p.m. I have been feeling my worst since starting this medicine over a year ago. Even though I have lost about 10 pounds, I am always getting stomach bloating and upset with severe vomiting after I take this medication. My body feels tired all the time and I don't have any energy. I've noticed that if I take my morning meds with metformin, I feel nauseated and vomits badly. I eat before taking this medication and I still get sick. It takes a whole day after taking my first dose, to feel good. Then I regrets the time in the evening or night that I have to take another 1000mg. I still get nauseated and sick with vomiting. I am going to request a change of meds when I return to my physician. This medicine has made my life miserable.

Related Reading: metformin

Comment from: Grounded, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 24

I've been a diabetic for two years, taken this medication only. I'm 5'5" , weigh 135 on a heavy day and always have been active. Was totally shocked when diagnosised with diabetes and really angry -- just didn't understand why or how. Now have it together and realize it could have been much worse.

Related Reading: diabetes

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 24

Was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 5 months ago and have been on 2000 mg daily of this medication....Feel terrible all the time and have experienced almost every side effect possible so am going back to Dr. and requesting to be placed on something different! Have not heard anything good about this medication!

Related Reading: type 2 diabetes

Comment from: gretch1, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 03

Glucophage oral Medication has worked for me as it will not allow one to bottom out,the way I eat another medication would not hold me, I never eat three meals a day and some times I snack on something other then sitting down to a meal. The only thing I dislike is ,it uosets my stomach and causes a lot of gas , but then I figure the good out weighs the bad.

Related Reading: glucophage

Comment from: jerry, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: April 04

It seems to work, Temporarily. In the last 4 years I've had to increase my dosage, from 500 mgs a day to 2000 mgs a day. I'm 43 yrs old. I use to weigh 232 lbs. @ 5' 11'. Now @ 190 lbs. I wish there was another (healthier) way.

Comment from: Herodotus, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 28

After 2 or 3 days taking it, it lowered my glucose levels from 140 to 115, but had to quit taking this medicine because it upset my stomach very much, made me very weak and made my body ache, a week later I tried it again but with the same discomfort so I quit it for good.

Comment from: cocoa, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 09

Last A1C 6.7. I take 1000mg twice daily for last 2 years. Can not seem to lose any weight. Have gained 20 lbs. arounf syomach area. I feel tired, painful muscles, have just recently been dx. fibromyalgia.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: California, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 26

I have Type II diabetes. Metformin/Glucophage isn't a cure all, but has been helpful to me in managing blood glucose. It's clear that this alone won't do it all. I've lost 25 pounds in a year mostly due to an abbreviated diet and have about 25 more to go. It's so important to change your diet to a more healthy one. Exercise...I still don't exercise enough, but on days I do, BG goes down to normal ranges. I can't emphasize enough how much this helped. Side effects. No digestive problems for me. The only possible one (and I'm not blaming it on the medication) is it's hard to get moving in the morning. Dosage I take is 500 mg, twice a day. My BG/AIC is not yet where I want it, but I think that's my fault. At least I can see what makes my BG go up and down and monitor it. I know other people that have type II diabetes and ignore all the things they should do. I'll still be alive, after they are gone. Please share your experiences with your friends that might be susceptible to type II diabetes. You may save their life (if they listen to you). Use a self BG tester. Be informed! Don't rely solely upon your occasional doctor visit/lab tests only.

Comment from: serialmom12, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 03

My husband is on this horrible drug for the past few years. If he has ONE good day a week, he counts his blessings. He has terrible gas pains, vomiting, diarreah and said he always feels like he has a "hangover." What a horrible way to live, and his blood sugar isn't really even that high. I'm trying to get his doctor to take him off this gargage so he can resume a normal life.

Comment from: sca, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 27

I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. Started on 500 mg daily to increase to 1000mg with in a week. I was started while I had a kidney infection. I was nauseated, listless, and had tightness in my chest. I was not sure which was causing the problem, the diabetes medicine or the antibiotic. I stopped the glucophage and felt better. When I finished the antibiotic and started back on the glucophage, the symptoms began again. Now stopped and feel better, but still no control over my sugar.

Related Reading: diabetes | kidney infection | glucophage

Comment from: MercThrasher, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 08

Just three months in at 1000 mg a night. It has helped break a deadly non-exercise vicious circle and I'm walking an hour in the hills at least five times a week. BMI now out of the obese. Only complaint is too much urination by night, but this may be associated with painkillers. Early days, but so far, so very good.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 04

Diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, I have been taking Metformin for about 3 years. I did not have any of the symptoms that other people have had. So far so good.

Related Reading: metformin

Comment from: JadeTreeLady, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 28

The only problem has been nausea, sometimes even when taken with food. Also, I just dicovered that I should noy have taken this with conjestive heart failure. Another case of doctors either being not informed or not paying attention.

Related Reading: heart failure

Comment from: jim fetterolf, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 12

Diagnosed with Type 2 Dec 7, '10, started 500 mg/day Dec 8, have lost 17 pounds in 3 months with diet change, blood sugar average has dropped below 120, A1c of 6.0 after 3 months, no side effects. Energy level improved a little, eyesight a little less fuzzy, in general feel better and under control, but need to get more active. I've been pleased with the drug, it only costs $4.00/mo. Am 59 yrs old, 5'7, currently 200 lbs. My cholesterol and triglycerides even dropped by about a third.

Related Reading: cholesterol

Comment from: Darlean, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 29

This medication has caused severe diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. This would not be my first choice for treatment again.

Related Reading: diarrhea | nausea and vomiting