Haldol

Comment from: Tripac 25-34on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 28

great stuff. i wandered around in a psychotic haze for over three years after getting diagnosed because of that toxic atypical stuff. i only saw the light after i started haldol and now i am so much better at controlling the hallucinations and such thanks to this. no atypical ever worked on me, all they did was have horrible side effects. this drug should be offered at first to people along with atypicals. some drugs work on some people and some don't, but this should at least be offered instead of being the last ditch attempt after running through all that atypical garbage. great antipsychotic!

Related Reading: haldol

Comment from: Dr. Sunshine35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 13

I've been taking 5mg of haloperidol for paranoid schizophrenia since 2012. So far it's worked pretty well. Before treatment I had recurrent distressing thoughts, including thoughts that the FBI and the police were somehow after me. I also believed that some other source other than the broadcasters on T.V. were sending me messages through the T.V. as a means of communication. All of those distressing thoughts went away immediately after I began treatment. The only problem was that for several years I was still an unemployed paranoid schizophrenic. Fast-forward and I now have had a few new decent professional jobs. Over the years, I've noted that people don't always communicate "normally" and that maybe it was okay to have some paranoid thoughts and distrust towards others. After all, there are those who display arrogance and resort to indirect commentary. It's uncertainty that's insubordinate to the very sense of who we are as humans. It's only a means for degradation. All it takes is for someone to seem to talk on a tangent and there you have it, you can have your condition again. I've been sharing some of my concerns with medical professionals. It was suggested that I switch medication. I decided to do that. For seven days I've been taking 2.5mg of Haloperidol and 5mg of Abilify. Last night I made the complete switch to 10mg of Abilify. I've been noting improvement in effectiveness and accuracy at work with a slight increase in sleep disturbances. I've also noted, specifically today: restlessness, irritability, a possible headache, stress and anxiety. All of it seems to "go away" or "improve" when I'm actively involved in something, or when I'm being productive... The downside to Haloperidol is that you can actually gain a good deal of weight. I went from a healthy 190 Lbs to 270 Lbs. Yet have lost since with diet and exercise. You also need to watch out for tardive diskenesia, which affects certain manifestations or movements of the mouth or jaw.

Related Reading: haloperidol | schizophrenia | abilify

Comment from: B7-12on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: December 07

Tics slowed but the sedation was intolerable. It interfered with my life much more than all my tics. I had and have loud vocal tics including coprolalia, face grimacing, eyes, head snapping, freezing and many others. I am in 6th grade and I chose my tics over haldol. That's how disabling the side effects were for me. But my tics did slow. They didn't go away.

Related Reading: haldol

Comment from: Alan55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 07

been on this pill for about 5 years,6 months ago started with a tremer on my left side affecting my arm and hands, looked like Parkinsons disease. went to the doctor,he immediately took meoff allpills. I now an not talk, have trouble swallowing and I have the shakes and tremers, all from taking this pill. Its made by Janssen-Cilagltd, I need to sue them my life is ruined.

Comment from: AshEd19-24on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: December 21

I was put on Haldol after being tried on several atypicals: Abilify (no effect), Risperdal (high blood pressure/ heart arrhythmia), and Geodon (panic attacks/ nightmares). The difference has been night and day. This works much better for me than the newer medications. I have noticed some side effects (slight tremor/ pacing, restlessness) but nothing serious that I can't deal with. I will definitely be sticking with Haldol, and I'd recommend it for anyone else suffering from similar issues.

Related Reading: haldol | abilify | risperdal

Comment from: Ally25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 16

Using this medication for intrusive thoughts. It has been working really well. Only side effects are dry mouth and sleepy all the time.

Related Reading: dry mouth