Hyalgan

Comment from: Nula, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 19

I have severe bone on bone arthritis in my left knee and almost the same with my right knee but not as bad as the left. I therefor went ahead and did both knees when I heard about these injections. Its hard for me to read the satisfaction rate on here as I am in more severe pain now in both knees than I ever was before. I am in constant throbing pain and aches in both my knees and now throughout my whole leg mostly the lower shin part of my knees. I had to have cortisone injections within the same week as my last injection from the pain in both knees and also put on pain medication. I just hope this wears off and Im not left like this. I guess all in all knee surgery will be the only solution for me and Im not even 50. But I cant take any more chances with these experimental it seems trials and erroros. In my opion I wouldnt do these injections if you are not willing to take the chance that you might be the one that this may happen to you and make your condition worse. I am in excrutiating pain. I hope it gets better.

Related Reading: arthritis | cortisone

Comment from: Kjack, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 25

I did a lot of research online about Hyalgan & similar drugs, & decided on Hyalgan primarily due to the results expressed by women in my age group who received the most relief & suffered the fewest side effects (swelling, pain). In 3/2011 I started the 5 injection series for left knee pain from OA, after many rounds of steroid injections failed to provide long lasting results. It took a couple of months after the last injection to achieve pain free results. Significant pain & stiffness just started again in 4/2013, so I've requested another series of Hyalgan. Hopefully it will work as well as the first round.

Related Reading: hyalgan | knee pain

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 09

After two knee surgeries, several therepy session and years of pain, my Dr. injected my knees with Hyalgan. I was shocked as to how much it helped. I am almost knee-pain free for up to six months. I have continued with these injections every six months over the past 3 years. It sure beats surgery.

Comment from: Bill, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 06

This treatment was administered one year ago with the prospect that it would last that long, and has given me relief up until now - almost exactly one year. It was easily administered, albeit sometimes painfully but the results were good. Now, if they could just get it to last longer.

Comment from: dmda, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 21

Previously used only 3 injections, this time used 5. Much better results. Also tried others on the market with no relief. Hyalgan has worked best by far.

Comment from: Jakay, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 05

I have had osteoarthritis in my knee for 11 years. I had it scoped which helped for awhile and about 5 years ago the pain started again. I begin having the hyalgan shots at that time and initially they lasted approximately 18 months- 2 years. Now my knee is getting progressively worse and I know that a replacement is next but until I make that decision I will still have the shots. They are now lasting about 9 months but for me, it's still better than surgery.

Related Reading: osteoarthritis | hyalgan

Comment from: nelsena1, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 05

My experience is the side affects. Before the injections I had mild leg pain from my hip down to my toes, now, it takes me an half of an hour to get out of bed. Once I'm out of bed takes another half hour to move my legs. For the rest of the day my legs are extremely painful, a lot of burning, feelings like bugs crawling and electricity running through my legs. This medication has affected my lower back (lumbar), even though I have herniated and arthritic conditions but this stuff has increased the pain and now my days is like living in a furnace. I have told my doctors but they think I'm crazy or it might be my lumbar has gotten worse, so I'm going for another MRI. These doctors at the VA hospital have been treating me for some seventeen plus years. Please see if there are any other cases where people have the same side affects as I describe. Please contact me at [email protected]

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 24

I've been receiving these injections for 5 years. I had been going every six months, but now let a year go by this time. I recommend every six months. I found the series of 3 works as well as the five.

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 13

The first two injections were extremely painful as the fluid went into my knee joint but the pain stopped immediately when the needle came out. The third to fifth injections were tolerable. The knee pain lessened the first week and now, 2 months later is totally gone and function much improved. Definitely worth it!

Related Reading: knee pain

Comment from: Ryan, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 12

I decided to get this treatment in both knees. I had my ACL, MCL, and lateral meniscus reconstructed 22 years ago and my left ACL reconstructed 19 years ago. I've lost a significant amount of weight (20% of my body weight) and have returned to physical therapy. But I continued to have significant knee pain, especially when going down stairs. I am an active 35 year old and I'm unwilling to live with that kind of pain; it was debilitating. After only one (of the required 3) shot, I could tell the difference. I had my last shot about 6 weeks ago and the treatment has been LIFE CHANGING. I have not gone down stairs pain-free in probably 10 years. I had learned behaviors I wasn't even aware of, like leaning on the stair railing to try to lesson the pain in my knees when going down. I can now bounce down stairs...literally bounce! I can exercise without being almost unable to walk the next day, I can perform repetitive and deep squats (I lift in crossfit!). This is a treatment WELL worth trying if you've experienced the same difficulty with pain management. The shots themselves were a bit uncomfortable, but the discomfort was gone within about 2 hours. My knees felt 'soft' and 'gushy' right after, but again this subsides in about 2 hours. I STRONGLY recommend anyone give this a try...again, this has changed my life!

Related Reading: pain management

Comment from: edi9e m, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 07

had a left knee replaced with some problems and the rt knee was due.dr suggested the 3 injections instead,and cortisone.I had been crying daily for 3 months with pain,walked with a limp.got shot yesterday(first of 3) cant believe the rsults .no pain only slight headache.It's a miracle

Related Reading: cortisone | headache

Comment from: wenfen, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 01

This medicine is not less than a MIRACLE!!! I have been in constant knee pain for the last 1 1/2 years due to osteoarthritis & torn meniscus...cortisone didn't work, but Hyalgan worked from the first injection almost on the very first day. No more pain in walking, climbing stairs etc. I am so happy that the doctor recommended this to me...I'm hoping to postpone total knee replacement now for a long time...I hope to use it every year until they come out with a cure for osteoarthritis!!! Thank goodness for Hyalgan!!!

Related Reading: osteoarthritis | torn meniscus | hyalgan

Comment from: DMc, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 21

I was not able to walk without pain at 45 years old after 4 knee surgeries. These shots have taken away majority of thepain and allowed me to ski, hike ,playbasketball, and softball. Insurance companies are starting to deny coverage though.

Comment from: Carolyn, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 20

I am an active 66y/o female with bone on bone bilateral knee damage. I was told that I needed surgery so as a last resort I decided to try hyalgan injections. It's been 8 months since I completed series and STILL no pain! I will do the injections again when the pain returns, as I'm sure it will but for now I'm enjoying no pain.

Related Reading: hyalgan

Comment from: kneeanitis, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 01

I have no meniscus and my synovial sacs were removed (dry knee). This is like WD-40 for my knee.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 14

For me it's like getting new knees. Immediate pain relief. My knees bend again. I can now lay my leg flat in bed. Well worth the discomfort of the injection itself.

QUESTION

The term arthritis refers to stiffness in the joints. See Answer
Comment from: Rowland, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 18

Each set of injection has lasted for three years before needing to start again. Of course each time I had to have a new injection I had fallen and injured my knee again. The falls were not because of the knee, there was an ice storm, a hole in the yard, and this last one was a slippy curb I had to step up on, fell on same knee every time. After my injections I am pain free and I have bone on bone arthritis. I did however do my research and learned about what to expect and if I was a good candidate, also found what to do afterwards, received recommendations from my doctor and followed it to the letter. Cannot say anything bad about this treatment, research it thoroughly if you intend to try it, be positive it will fit your needs. Oh, make sure you doctor is well versed in the procedure, my doctor gives me the injection with NO pain and no numbing agents, he is awesome!

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: Ginger, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 14

I have had the injections twice, 5 injections each time, 6 months apart! Each time after the 2nd injection I started noticing relief. It seems the longer out approx two months I really could tell it helped!

Comment from: Artist444, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 10

I could hardly walk any more before these injections. My knees hurt like toothaches. I got these 5 injections in both knees and the improvement was remarkable. My left knee is pain free and my right knee which is in worse shape is much better. Everyone who knows me has seen the improvement-I walk so much better than before. I went to a convention a few weeks ago and was on my feet most of the day. There is no way I could have done that before the injections.

Comment from: sarahinaurora, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 14

I have been AMAZED at the positive results I have had with this medicine. It has given me my life back. SO PLEASED!!!

Comment from: Raggaemon, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 05

It's possibly too soon to tell but I had my initial injection this morning to help relieve painful symptoms of grade 4 ( bone on bone ) left knee arthritis. I used my own crude method of determining any changes after the injection which consisted of taking the stairs down to the lobby exit to my car as opposed to using the elevator as I did going up to my appointment. If this is any indication of what's to come, I must say I'm impressed, I had no discomfort taking the steps. I'll find out for sure as the series of injections continues, so far, so good !

Comment from: cece, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 24

I've had hyalgan injection in my back and both of my knees. It has not help. Infact, it seen that my pain has become worst. I've spoken to my doctor about it. He suggested that I take a second round. I am afraid if it does not work I would be in worst pain.

Related Reading: hyalgan

Comment from: freddiemac, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 07

To [email protected]: You are not crazy. My pain went from my knee to my hip. I had one shot of Hyalgan. I experienced the same side effects as yourself. Constant burning, horrible leg cramps and ongoing knee pain sometime severe enough to make me sob and cry. I could not sleep well at night because of these effects which put me in a state of fatigue Also, it slowed down my thought processes.giving the appearance of dementia. I hope this helps you as much as your report helped me realizing I was not alone.

Related Reading: hyalgan | knee pain | fatigue

Comment from: Rickswife1, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 20

Today was my 4th injection of a series of 5. Anyone thinking about getting the injections, ice and relax afterward. My doctor said normal activity was fine but my knee swells up like a balloon for a couple hours after the shots. 36 hours later and I have more movement than I have in years. Worth it in the long run so far.

Comment from: malba1, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 24

the first year [two sets of doses 6 months apart] were wonderful. the third set stopped like someone flipped a switch at 3 months. am now in really bad pain.