Inderal LA

Comment from: DESTINY789, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 15

I have been on this medication approx. 25 years. Like any medication the dosage goes with your weight, so as you gain or lose weight the medication would need to be adjusted. I have had no ill side effects. This medication gave me my life back instead of being in bed most of the week. This medication doesn't work for all types of migraines. My daughter also has migraines. She was diagnosed with basular migraines when she was 10 years old. A migraines specialist in Washington put her on Varapimil (calan). She was the 2nd child that had even been put on the blood pressure medication for migraines. She had to have her meds increased as she gained weight but she hasn't had anymore problems with kidney failure, heart failure or black outs since. These are problems yoou can ahve with her type. These medications have been a god send. I don't understand why doctors don't try these medications before all the anti depressant meds that have such bad side effects. I hope this helps someone.

Related Reading: calan | kidney failure | heart failure

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 19

I started taking this medication 2 weeks ago for migraine prevention and so far I have had only 1 headache. I takemy 60mg dose at night and it does put me to sleep and around noon I get hit with a wave of sleepiness. Plus, I have been eating uncontrollably, however I went off of Cymbalta at the same time I started this medicine, so I am hopeful that my appetite will decrease without the need to staple my mouth shut!! Having no headaches is worth most side effects so I will definitely continue to take it.

Related Reading: prevention | cymbalta

Comment from: Beloeil, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 02

I have been on Inderal LA for 12 years now for chronic headaches/migraines. 160 mg (80 mg am and again pm). It changed my life! I now have very few headaches, and rarely migraines. I have no appreciable side effects at all, and am very happy. Side note, though - they tried my daughter on the same for the same reason, and it didn't work at all for her.

Related Reading: inderal la

Comment from: wapnjtn, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 14

I have been on this medication since I was diagnosed with ET when I was 19yrs old. It has been wonderful! I no longer feel ashamed of my tremor and do not get picked on for shaking. I can live a normal life now! I have had side effects of slight weight gain, problems sleeping,sometimes diarrhea,but it is still worth it to me for the positives I get from it.I was recently up my dosage substantially from 60mg-1 a day to 120mg-2 a day, b/c my Dr. says my ET has progressed quite a bit. I am still 100% satisfied with this medication.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: EForestier, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 16

I used this medicine years ago as soon as I was old enough to be on prevention medicine. I was on 60 mg of the generic a day for years. In 2002, after Hurricane Lili, the generic was unavailable in my area and I went on Inderal. Not too long after, I began having worse headaches, so they increased to 120 mg a day. I took myself off after a few weeks of constant headaches with no relief, and my migraines went away for a good while after that. Now I read they are saying this medicine can help people with post tramatic stress, by helping them "forget". I have had memory loss for a while, after always being the one that always remembered everything. Might be a coincidence, but I don't know...

Related Reading: inderal | stress

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 05

I was started at 60mg 2Xday. The first week I was on it I overslept by more than an hour everyday, was so tired I was falling asleep at work, gained 5 lbs., and couldn't focus or accomplish anything. Trying to work out was impossible, I couldn't even climb stairs without having to sit down & I usually run the stairs 6 times a day! After 8 days Dr cut my dosage in half but I'm still worn out & oversleeping, am experiencing mild burning in my face, hot flashes, and on top of it all my headaches are coming back, albeit in a milder form. I do not think this is a good drug for me.

Related Reading: hot flashes

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 27

My doctor put me on Inderal LA 180 mg per day and Lanoxin, in 1977 for two reasons. I was having awful migraines that lasted up to four days, and my pulse sometimes went up to 240 beats per minute and stayed there for 45 minutes. My family has a long history of heart disease and strokes. I've been on this dosage ever since. I still get an occasional migraine or irregular rapid heartbeat, but my pulse doesn't go as high. By the way, my migraines DON"T occur at the same time as the rapid pulses.

Related Reading: inderal la | lanoxin | heart disease

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 15

I started this drug about 3 weeks ago and my Migraines hav improved dramatically. However, I feel tired and sleepy next day .....

Published: March 13

I am very tired on this medication so I am starting to take it at night. I was wondering why my hands and feet were like Ice lately..I can handle a pair of socks to keep warm, instead of a CRAPPY headache...Inderal LA is awesome...thanks

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: Jane, on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 22

The drug has effectively curbed my migraines but not prevented them entirely. The worst side effect is uncontrollable hunger, which I try to drink water and chew gum to alleviate.

Comment from: ezpar, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 05

At the risk of seeming irrelevent, I offer my personal experience with Inderal LA. When I was diagnosed as having essential tremor a few years ago, my doctor offered to write a prescription for the drug. I declined because my condition was more in the nature of an annoyance that I could live with. I did mention, however, that the only real hardship caused by my tremor was its interference with my ability to play golf. He prescribed a 60 mg dose of Inderal and instructed me to take it about an hour prior to tee-off time. It settled my hands so I can grip a putter without shaking. (I still miss my putts, but they come closer than they did before I started using Inderal.)

Related Reading: inderal

Comment from: pbbeas, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 03

I have taken this med for several years and have been satisfied with the results. I am however concerned with the long term side effects of remaining on the med.

Comment from: elways77, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 07

I love this medicine, my life is so much better, my migraines have gone away for good it seems after getting two a month. happy happy

Comment from: Rick, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 21

Started on 80mg after 9 months increased to 120mg, reduced the tremor some, makes me tired, blood pressure too low to donate blood. Have added Primidone still have tremors, they are annoying when conversing or eating.

Related Reading: primidone | tremors

Comment from: angel99, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 09

I've been on Inderal LA for about 6 years for irregular heartbeat and tachicardia. It has made such a difference in my life. Before I began taking it I was tired all the time with severe palpitations, dizzy spells and fainting to only name a few symptoms. My doctor had to raise the dose after 5 years to get the same effect but I would never want to go back to the way I felt without it.

Related Reading: palpitations | fainting

Comment from: otterpup, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 25

I'm on a 60mg dose 1x per day for benign familial tremor. It has decreased my tremor, but it also makes me really tired. The decrease in tremor, however, is worth the increased fatigue. :)

Related Reading: fatigue

How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 25

prescribed for tachycardia caused by anxiety, has been very effective, I rarely have anxiety attacks now, has also been extremely effective in preventing migraines!! An unexpected benefit!

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 18

I suffer migraines and this prevenative has helped, I only had one migraine this year.

Comment from: Joe, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 28

Very effective preventing migraines but difficult to deal with life style of constant tiredness. Also, if taken before working out in the gym, I become very nauseous , sweaty, and dizzy. Because of the side effects, I stopped taking the drug a couple of years ago but now that the migraines have returned (average of 5/per month), I am reconsidering. A regimen of magnesium/B2 for several months does not seem to be effective as an alternative to prescription drugs.

Comment from: wolfhound, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 06

I was recently given Inderal LA 60 mg to take once a day. It was prescribed by tremors in my hands that my be caused by taking zoloft. I have been taking the meds for about a month now and I still have shaky hands. I am seeing my doctor in a few days to see what is going on. I would say this medication is not working for tremors. Has anyone had a similiar experience using this drug.

Related Reading: inderal la | tremors | zoloft

Comment from: bulldogcc, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 25

I tried this for migraine prevention, but it did not help at all and I experienced insomnia.

Related Reading: prevention | insomnia

Comment from: sandymac, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been taking Inderal LA for more than 20 years for a head tremor, which I found very embarrassing for teaching school and having a social life. Having asthma and using this drug is possible, but at times a problem.

Related Reading: asthma

Comment from: dulcinia1, on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 07

tremors still affecting daily living

Comment from: sprinter488, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 18

I have only taken 120 mg of this medication for about 1 month, but so far I've had more trouble sleeping and no noticeable decrease in frequency or severity of migraines...I suppose I will give it another month. I will update if it becomes more effective.

Comment from: Boopty Betty , 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 13

I suffer from Tachicardia, Mitra Valve Prolapse and Migraine Headaches. Inderal has been a life saving miracle for me. I take Inderal LA 120mg, 1 a day, and I have very little trouble, unless I push it with too much caffeine or get too over-tired. Then I have an episode where my heart wants to beat out of my body, but at that time, I take a second Inderal and relax. So far that has worked for me. Last year, my doctor said it's hard to beat Inderal, it's a great prescription. I am very thankful as it has given me a quality life.

Related Reading: inderal