Invega Sustenna

Comment from: dflippin, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: October 25

My son is on this medication for schizophrenia. My son has been on this shot for about 9 months now and it has helped his symptoms considerably; he is more communicative and is resting better on this medication than any other he has tried recently. He is also on lithium as well. He still talks to himself some and paces around the house at times but considering how poorly he was doing on some of the other meds it’s a major improvement. He is able to set down and enjoy watching a little TV or play video games now where he wasn’t before this medicine. Be careful with any of these meds and good luck.

Related Reading: schizophrenia | lithium

Comment from: Haligonian, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 15

I have schizoeffective disorder and have tried 3 or 4 other anti-psychotics and Invega Sustenna (or paleperidone) is the only one that left me with no mental side effects. I was not drowsy or lethargic and find I can lead a normal life on this drug. I am on the injectable witch makes me forget I am even on medication!

Related Reading: invega sustenna

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 24 years old and am finally able to go back to school and go to work. I wasn't able to hold a job before. My paranoia is eliminated and I'm no longer afraid to be around people. This med has saved my life.

Comment from: Kelly92675, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 25

I took the pill for 3 years before the injections. They didnt work because I always forgot to take them and so I constantly was in and out of Psychotic episodes. Felt a difference after the first injection. The voices began to quiet. Was very sleepy in the beginning. And moody, but not raging. Mellowed out over a few months. The facial twitches and personality glitches started to fade away. I was able to interact with my family again and now have a great relationship with them that I cherish. I love my kids and am learning to function as a mother and a provider for the first time on my own in a safe an loving way. This drug truely has saved my life and the well being of my children and their upbringing. Unfortunately it has come with a price. I have gained 76 pounds in 7 months. My thyroid is effected. I have abnormal heart electrical signals. High blood sugar. I stop breathing in my sleep. I have constant swelling on the arms legs and feet. I look like Im 8 months pregnant. I sweat and am constantly hot and dehydrated. I get hives and skin rashes all the time. My face is swollen and puffy. My vision is blurry and I cant hardly taste my food. Seems the side effects are piling up faster and faster lately and Im totally bummed out about it. Im suffering through them because I have tried literally dozens of other medications that havent worked at all and this is the best I have found. For those that havent tried it, you should. Its great. Its peace of mind for those who havent had it. And a chance at normalcy. For now, the side effects wont stop me from continuing to take it. Im seeing a specialist to help. Ill keep you updated on if there is resulution. Its the best I have found in 20 years.

Comment from: ImBetterNow, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 12

I only get this shot once a month. It has saved my life. The voices are quieter now and I have a job and I'm taking college classes online. I don't have to take two of my pills anymore either.

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: October 18

Hi- I am the mother of a 20 year old son on Invega Sustenna IM for 6 months. He has not had any weight gain but he is more sleepy. The drug has dramaticly lowered the voices but has not eliminated them all together. The mood swings are reduced significantly but don't forget he is still a young adult. I as the care taker love the once a month injection. I am no longer concerned with him being compliant with his medication. As a care taker I highly recommend this medication. It is expensive but Medicaid does pay for it. Good Luck!!

Comment from: elise, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 09

My 18 year old son was diagnosed with schizophrenia about a year ago. It has been a really rough ride. He has tried a lot of drugs and even this one once before. As the dosage was lowered he got worse and the voices never left anyway,so we tried other drugs. Recently we came back to this one after I read a review on this site that one reviewer's voices didn't leave until after 5 months of use. I was hopeful to try it again. And sure enough between 5-6 months the voices stopped all of a sudden! He still talks to himself a lot, but says he is just used to doing so. He watches tv and plays video games, and goes out in public more. He also takes Cogentin, which helps with eye muscle spasms which started on some of the other drugs, so he just stayed on it. Overall, I am pleased with this drug. He is taking the 234 injection every 3 weeks.

Related Reading: cogentin | muscle spasms

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 14

This medication is a godsend. My boyfriend had delusions and his life was very difficult.He had problems with the law etc Since starting the Invega his life has totally changed. Most of his symptoms are gone so he can lead a normal life. In the past he was only sporadically taking pills but now just once a month, and he's done. Nothing is perfect he is lethargic. I notice the difference in him more than he does, but it is well worth it. Without this med his delusions would be worse and get him into trouble.

Related Reading: invega

Comment from: MrPike7969, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I am so much better off now that I am on this drug. People have noticed a big difference. I have too.

Comment from: johnboy, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 07

Hi! I need some advice about this medication. My husband takes it. He's worse off now than when he started the medication. Here are some of his symptoms SEVERE MOODSWINGS,VERY PARANOID, RESTLESS SLEEP, THERE'S alot more side effects or symptoms whichever you call them. I just dont see any improvement. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I'll take any advice. Thanks!

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 12

Since taking this med, I have experienced a complete remission of my symptoms, with no side effects. I know it doesn't work that easily for everyone, though. But if you haven't found a pill that works, give this shot a try--it changed my life.

Comment from: fellow, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 05

The only problem is the weight gain. I am stable and feel good.

Comment from: dollie, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 10

The drug is wonderful that it only needs taken one time per month. My symptoms that come with schizophrenia are gone after the 3rd shot. The only negative is the side effect of weight gain.

Related Reading: schizophrenia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 27

This med can be a living hell for some people. My adult son was like a caged animal on this stuff. He would scream, hit his head with his fist, and kick holes in the wall. His hallucinations were so creepy that he frightened me. Every time I'd tell the doctor how awful it was, she'd say he needs to take the next dose, then the next. He took it 6 months. It was the most horrible six months of our lives, not to mention all the damage done to my home. In case you might wonder, he was not using illegal drugs and not drinking alcohol. We recently had testing through an orthomolecular Dr and learned that my son is under methylated (high histamine) and zinc deficient. Don't know if that had anything to do with his problem on this med. None of the meds have worked for him, but Invega Sustenna was absolutely the worst.

Related Reading: zinc | invega sustenna

Comment from: Taylor, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 03

This medicine has worked great for me. Before getting on this drug, I was very psychotic and nothing was helping. Then when I started this I could tell a little difference, but after being on it for 5 months I'm experiencing hardly any symptoms and I'm feeling normal. This has been a great drug for me. When I first started using it I was very sleepy, but now I only get sleepy the day I get my shot, after that I'm good.

Comment from: Bill, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 03

My experience with Invega began with the pills. After trying other drugs I found the pills are fantastic in making one feel alert during the day. These are slow release tabs so you may have to take a sleeping pill to get to sleep. Now I've been taking the injections for two years. The first six months it takes a little more effort to stay awake during the day though with me this day sleepy feeling decreased. However I can still take day nap though the main reason for that is simply being bored in that I'd rather take a nap than stay awake. Night sleep is normal and you probably won't need a sleeping pill. On doses the first day seems the same as the last and there are no extreme highs or lows. I take the 117 dose. When considering the alternatives there is no other drug I'd rather be taking. Lucky for me with my insurance I can get three doses for $125.

Comment from: The Mayor, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 18

Excellent for my health. I don't have schizophrenia as long as I get my invega sustenna 234 mg injection every 28 days approx.

Related Reading: invega sustenna

Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: me, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 06

this medication gave me loud tinnitus, 6 kinds of headaches that wont go away,dizzy all the time fall over, eyes blurry and burn all the time, whole face burns and wont go away. 40 other side effects it is a drug from hell and it will either kill you, or drive you insain don'try it i'm warning you

Related Reading: tinnitus | burns

Comment from: Invegaman, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 11

Con-chubby, gotta watch my egg yolks. Pro. whatever this is doing its working. so much better in public places like stores and the checkout.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 25

I have been taking this medication for 2 years. I've found I can think very clearly on this drug. I recommend taking no sleeping pills on this and maybe only one cup of coffee in the morning. Don't smoke or drink alc unless maybe a little drink once in awhile to help you sleep. Don't eat things that can make you nervous like excessive sugar. I take the 117 dose and consistantly feel good as long as I sleep at least six hours a night.

Comment from: Davonwifey, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 06

I just started this medication today on 06/06/11, so it's new to me,and the reason why I had been made to take this is because I always forgot to take my medication. And the end results of not taken it was bad so for the sake of my children and family I took the shot and scared of needles but wasn't as bad as I thought. However it starting to make me feel tired and I just hope it make me eat cause I had to stop taken the one that made me eat so I get depressed and won't eat.

Comment from: dancing bear, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 07

this is angle mircle drugg no more devil or mark in my head im happy and my mom loves me

Comment from: Do not give up!, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 14

I hope this review will help soften what you may be dealing with and if it offends anyone I did not write anything with that intention. With all medications used to treat mental issues one must take into consideration substances such as caffeine and time of usage, alcohol usage, age, how active(exercise,even if only walking of course in moderation), combinations of other medications, illicit drug usage, etc. and there are many other basic factors for which to identify and bring into the equation. Help yourself by using moderation in all situations basically. Common sense is not to be discounted as worthlessness! This medication has caused me some side effects such as diarrhea when raised to the 234mg dosage but for only about 3 weeks and then gone. It can cause as well as any other basic anti-psychotic weight gain(solution, exercise a little - go for a walk -a- bout regularly, but not to the exreme; walking is therapeutic anyway). Think about this: I can gain weight whether or not I have a mental issue; is that not true? Having been given these shots for almost a year now, I believe this is one of the best medications on the market for my particular mental issues: bipolar I disorder, anxiety, borderline personality disorder of which there really is no medicine. For sure I started having anxiety issues as early as the 3rd grade and then at 14 full blown bipolar I disorder and was not diagnosed until 18; I am now 55. Medicines for abnormal mental issues have advanced beyond belief since I was first given such. Too often there are 2 evils: the problem for which medications are being given and the cure. A good internal medicine specialist in the field of psychiatry can be priceless and it goes w/o saying that communication to others w/similar infirmities might shed some light. As is always said, "Different strokes for different folks" is very applicable. There is always hope; do not despair. Hang in there and have a good!

Comment from: JeremiahTheGreat, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 08

Horrible drug, horrible side effects, akathisia, feeling of inner restlessness that never goes away, every. waking. moment. Doctors are supposed to abide by "First, do no harm." Any doctor prescribing this medication is at best negligent, at worst an evil person.

Comment from: nonya, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 09

This is the most obsurd medication maby in this whole entire earth. It lasts for 2 years from one shot and will make you a vegetable. I took one shot of this and it had me wanting to commit suicide all the time. My family thinks it has made me retarded and i am forced to live under the care of elders because of what its effects are every day. I have personnaly been messed up on one shot for 7 months and its as powerful as it ever has been. I recoomend no one recieve this medication and take it oraly if you must...this is more like torture and it should be reserved for pedofiles and rapists.

Related Reading: suicide