Januvia

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 18

I'm maxed out on metformin (850 mg 3x/day) and glyburide (5mg 4x/day). Januvia, even without the other 2 meds, had my readings in the desired ranges in a day. It's only been 5 days, but so far VERY GOOD! Thanks!

Related Reading: metformin | glyburide | januvia

Comment from: Sonya_J, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 02

Started Januvia 100 mg once a day with in days I had joint pain so bad I did not want to get out of bed and the join pain has not went away its not as bad but still there. Chronic heart pain my heart beat so hard and fast I worried I was having a heart attack. My chest was/is sore I have congestion, I still have a fast heart beat off and on "This worries me". Shortness of breath. I was dizzy, chest colds, Very bad headache, Both hands were numb this was worse at night I would wake with my hands hurting I still have some numbness it is off and on and and mostly in my fingers now. I was so hoping Januvia would work for me. I do not think this drug was not tested well enough before the public was allowed to use it. I hope my side effects are not long term and no damage was caused and with time will go away.

Related Reading: heart attack | headache

Comment from: ambassador1122, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 12

I was on another medication for type 2 diabetes and it didnot work for me. My doctor didn't want to take me off of it because he said it work for most people. Well, I change Doctors and the new Doctor stated me on Januvia 50 mg in the AM and 50 in the PM and it started to work at the end of the week, no side effects, my number was very close to normal and I feel GREAT . I even lost weight while on this medication. My husband is on 50 mg a day and doing great with no side effects.

Related Reading: type 2 diabetes

Comment from: hmmmm, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 18

Family member had a rash with this medicine, and a friend said there was a new warning posted about a deadly disease called Stevens-Johnson syndrome associated with Januvia. I didn't find it in WebMd though. Is it true?

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: fishforfun, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 10

Januvia (with metformin) has worked very well for me so far (3 months), with no adverse reactions. My doc wanted to take me off Starlix (w/metformin), which worked very well but did cause some very low blood glucose after meals. I resisted but finally agreed to try Januvia. Glad I did. Once a day. Almost no super low blood sugar. My A1C dropped from 6.3 to 5.8. My average glucose is about 105. A few highs, almost no lows. Morning glucose does seem to be a little higher than before. Weight stable. No changes in energy, muscle or joint pain. No one knows the long term issues, if any, but so far Januvia is working well.

Related Reading: starlix | low blood sugar

Comment from: Maria Ashley, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 25

I take januvia at night time, the reason I am telling this is because someone said that it makes them tired, so why not take it after dinner? So far so good. I also take metformin. I have lost 16 pounds so far. Before this, I had gained 30 pounds with avandia. My feet don't swell up like with avandia. My a1c went up just a bit, got to keep an eye out on that, now it's 6.9, otherwise I am very happy with januvia 100mg once a day.

Related Reading: januvia | avandia

Comment from: gilbertsrn, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 03

I am a registered nurse and newly diagnosed Type II Diabetic (December of 2007). I have never been overweight, but have a family history of diabetes. I was put on Januvia 100mg every day in Dec. of last year, and it helped immediately even causing some very low blood sugars. Starting around March/April of this year, my readings started getting higher. I also have increased my exercise and have lost 22 lbs which is alot for my size (petite). This past month, my fasting blood sugars are almost always >200 and my random's are almost 300. I haven't had many readings <200 lately at all. My diet is not perfect, but I do follow closely counting carbs, using sugar free/low carb products, and limiting starches. It is very frustrating that I am spending the money on this "new" pill and doing all the things I'm supposed to do and it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I see my doctor tomorrow and do not plan to take anymore Januvia-will ask for glucophage/metformin. Also, I am scared of Januvia after researching online articles related to increased cancer incidence associated with Januvia use. Side effects I have experienced include: low energy levels, headaches, hip joint pain, & left ear pain. Hope to find something more effective.

Related Reading: diabetes

Comment from: Mary V, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 09

I have been on 100 mgs. Januvia (in combination with 1000 mgs. Metformin)for just over 3 months now. No ill side effects and saw a reduction in my appetite. The Met. alone would not lower my fasting BG - the Januvia had it normal within 10 days. Last A1c = 6.3, a drop from 10.4 in six month time frame.

Related Reading: januvia | metformin

Comment from: TypeATypeII, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 06

This is only my 3rd day on Januvia but I feel awesome! I was diagnosed with TypeII about 8 years ago and since that time I've never been able to get my diabetes under control no matter what I do. Three days ago, upon waking, my reading was 246. This morning it was 92! My head/thinking is MUCH clearer and my energy level is also higher. No other side effects, at least...so far, so good. I hope it only gets better.

Related Reading: diabetes

Comment from: J_Acme, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 17

This drug changed my life. My mind seemed to become clearer. Blood sugar dropped dramatically and energy levels increased greatly. Excellent drug for me anyway.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 15

Had nausea every day all day from the 2nd week of taking this drug. When I consulted with my doctor she didn't want to take me off of it since she felt it was worth staying on. I wanted to lose weight yes but not when I am so sick to my stomach I have no desire to eat at all. I was forcing myself to eat one meal a day and that usually didn't sit well. As all diabetics know we are supposed to eat no less than 3 meals a day and with me skipping meals due to no appetite was the worst thing I could do at this point of my treatment. If your doctor puts you on this medication and you are sick like I was, don't take no for an answer sinc it is YOUR health not theirs that matters and how you feels factors into that. Since I went off the Januvia I have not been sick to my stomach at all. I didn't see much difference in my blood sugars while on it either and since switching to glipizide my numbers are going down.

Related Reading: glipizide

Comment from: Von, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been taking Januvia along with Metformin for four months. My Blood Sugar is right on target, which it wasn't when taking only Metformin. But, since I've been taking Januvia I have chronic sinusitis, constant headaches, severe intestinal problems, occasional nausea and fatigue. Until reading the information here it never occured to me that it could be the medication.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 09

My bg fasting was 135 on actos and glyburide. I also gained 35 pounds when I went from metformin to the actos. Januvia 50 mg has been added and my fasting bg has gone to 90. Also I lost 10 pounds so far and no side effects

Related Reading: actos | glyburide | metformin

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 02

I;ve been taking this drug for 4 months and have found out it has not been tested fully. There are now studies showing Januvia can compromise your immune system. Great, just one more thing to worry about.

Comment from: Concerned Spouse, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 15

My husband, age 71, was prescribed Januvia, 100 mg/day,in Dec 2007 in addition to the glipizide and metformin he was already taking. It did lower his BS somewhat—he saw more readings under 100 mg/dl and fewer over 220. On the downside, as the weeks went by, he was feeling more and more lethargic; had less energy; felt cold all the time, especially at night; experienced severe nocturnal leg cramping; had persistent, severe constipation which led to his abdomen being hard and distended; and his blood pressure began creeping up. He also noticed a loss of taste and smell, also of balance and stability. In other words, he was feeling pretty crummy. He lasted on Januvia less than three months, from 21 Dec 2007 to 2 March 2008 when he stopped taking it. Within a day or two of stopping the Januvia he began to feel like a new person. Januvia being the only new addition to his meds, it was the prime suspect. Generally, he is feeling much better, most of his adverse reactions having subsided; however his BP and BS levels are still higher than before Januvia which have him concerned that Januvia might have changed something, hopefully not permanently. He now gets BS readings routinely in the high 200s, whereas pre-Januvia he would have to enjoy a dish of ice cream or a big meal out to get those readings. It is as if the glipizide and metformin are no longert effective and, despite cutting way back on carbs and increasing the exercising, he is finding getting back into control is more difficult than ever. Is Januvia going to be another drug rushed to market before adequate testing was done?

Related Reading: constipation

Type 2 Diabetes: Signs, Symptoms, Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: Technohaven, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: February 02

Very happpy with 100 mg daily. Diabete runs in my family .My sugar was 160 3 months ago and now I am running about 106 daily. Oh, I also lost about 15 lbs. No side effects from someone who is very sensitive to drugs.

Comment from: terry, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 19

caused swealing legs,feet.caused burnig feeling in feet joint and musle pain.could not sleep because of this pain.this was after three weeks,stopped taking it after 4 days sweling was all but gone.musle,joint pain way down.didnt help with blood sugar at all.it was junk that all it did for me is screw me up big time.dont know how much longer it will take to get rid of is efects on me.never again will i take a new med till its been on market for at least one year.where was the fda on this one?????????????

Comment from: MILK, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 12

I HAD A TERRIBLE REACTION TO THIS MEDICATION. AFTER ONLY 2 DOSES, I EXPERIENCED ACHES AND STIFFNESS IN BOTH CALFS OF LEGS. WITH THIRD DOSE, I EXPERIENCED HORRIBLE STABING PAIN IN LEFT TOES THAT OCCURRED EVERY 30 SECONDS TO 2 MINUTES FOR AT LEAST 23 HOURS. WILL NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICINE AGAIN.

Comment from: katie, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 11

I have been on for 3 weeks and feel unbelievable!!!Clearer head, none of those lows that cause you to panic being inpublic..afaid it will go too low.My sugar is 95 to 110 on waking and 120 to 129 before bed.I have lost 5lbs in the last 3 weeks without a change in my "usual" diet.What a big change from amaryl!!I just turned 50 in a family of diabetics and after 2 years of the ups and downs of my last pill..I'm on "an even keel"I feel better and am not afraid to drive or of beibg caught out when sugar crashes..doen't happen!! I'm thrill with this pill.

Related Reading: amaryl

Comment from: mommac65, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been on a few different medications for lowering of bloodsugar that have sent me to the restroom all day long. This one has not done that to me and I am happy with that. It is very expensive but you can go onto merk.com and print out a perscription assistance program application. Have your doctor fill out the necessary information send it in to merk and you could get a years worth of medication for free. You can also print off a coupon for a one month free trial take it to your pharmacy and get it for free too. At my pharmacy it was going to be 279.00 for one month and I will be getting it for free. You can go online for many different drug companies and they too will have perscription programs for those who can not afford the medication. The income limit I believe is very high, a fimily of three can make, I believe, 78000.00 a year and qualify. I just wanted to get this informaion out there for those who need a little help.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 28

I was diganosised with type II in januray 2008, my a1c was 9.7. The doctor put me on Janumet 50/500 1 tab BID. I also took the diabetic class through out local hospital and learned not only about being diabetic, but how to change your eating habits to a more healthy diet. ALso exercise plays a big parts in the control...medication alone will not do it. I have lost almost 40 in 6 months. At my last doctors appointment the blood work showed that my a1c was doen to 5.0 my doctor as me "what the hell I was doing." He was very please with my results. If all continues on I will be taken off of my high blood pressure and cholerstrol medication. I have had no side effects at all which is really unusal as I am allergic to 9 different medications. My only drawback to this medication is the cost with it being a new medication the co-pay is high actually the highest tier with my insurance. The God my doctor can give me samples.

Related Reading: janumet | high blood pressure

Comment from: twogrannies00 , 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 15

Have taken 100 mg for a year. Even with an occasional cheat my BS levels are well within desired range, and my a1c is 6.4. Only side effect is mild constapation, which is cured with bran cereal. Clearly from other reviews this doesn't work for everyone, but for me it is a wonder drug. There are no crashes to worry about and no dangerous highs.

Comment from: bettielittle, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 17

Since using Januvia, my blood sugars are not dropping below normal which was the original problem. They are now going above normal ranging from 140 to 300. This drug was suppose to manage the glucose levels, both high and lows, but it is not effective in controlling the highs.

Related Reading: januvia

Comment from: soremarilyn, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 13

I was taking metformin then my doc put me on Januvia too. I have had no problems with either drug. My A1c is 5.4 and my blood sugar is controlled through the drugs and healthy diet and exercise. Diabetes runs in my family.

Related Reading: metformin | januvia | diabetes

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 10

Am a registered nurse, not overweight (139) but with family hx of diabetes. Have taken Metformin 500mg daily since 2002. Random BS levels varied 90's to 150's, A1C varied between 6.7 and 7.0 but I'm not 100% diet compliant. Doctor started Januvia 100mg daily in addition to metformin to see if we could lower FBS and A1C. Instead, my BS levels have jumped from low 100's on metformin to nearly 300 by adding Januvia. I get a very strange "just not quite right" feeling and my energy level has plummeted. Until adequate testing proves the long-term effectiveness of this drug, I will NOT take it again.

Related Reading: diabetes | metformin