Kenalog 10 Injection

Comment from: NotHappy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 24

I received a shot by my physician in May 2009 for sinusitis, I saw no improvement but what did happen in August 2009 is the muscle around the injection site in my upper buttock atrophied and I now have a 2 ½ inch long 1 ½ inch wide ½ inch deep if not deeper indentation at the injection site which is unsightly and very noticeable. I asked prior to the shot what the side effects were and was never told about possible muscle atrophy and there seems nothing on Kenalog website but if you “google” Kenalog side effects apparently quite a number of people are experiencing this side effect.

Comment from: BEWARE!, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 26

I needlessly had a number of epidural injections w/Kenalog 40 in a short period of time, all because of a misdiagnosis. Realized after the damage was done that the manufacturer mandates against its use for epidural injections, also realized too late that I was given far too much of the stuff (200 mg over 6 weeks and I’m under 100 lbs). The last injection was over 5 months ago and I’m still suffering from debilitating side effects, namely non-stop pain in all extremities – particularly acute in my hands and feet, and extreme fatigue where I’m exhausted all day and literally can’t get up and move in the morning. The pain is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before and difficult to describe – a deep itching, electrical sort of sensation and aggravated by any movement (such as typing). It seems there’s no end in sight to this. I’ve consulted w/numerous doctors about this reaction and they either deny any connection to the injections or are clueless. The havoc corticosteroids can cause on the body is extraordinary. I appreciate that these meds help some people, but doctors are far too cavalier in dispensing/injecting them, are irresponsible in not warning patients about side effects, and oddly, seem completely uneducated themselves about the side effects of the very drugs they routinely administer. Or perhaps they are lying for liability purposes and out of greed . . . I don’t know.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 13

I received 2 Kenalog injections for a herniated disc. I was never told the side effects that could occur. I have had vision changes, mood swings, depression, weight gain, fluid retention, dizziness, migraines, and my hands have been shaking so bad that I could not do my job. I am a registered nurse and luckily I recognized the side effects from the steroid and asked the anestheologist about them. I was told that it rarely occurred. I also had to go to the emergency room a week after the second injection due to breathing difficulties. I would highly recommend talking with your doctor about the pros and cons of this steroid. It has changed who I am and I have to live with it every day. I am in my 20s and am unable to receive a third injection due to the breathing issue. My only other option is to have the surgery where they fuse the vertebrae together. And unfortunately with the second injection, they had to use less steroid due to the Cushing Synd side effects I was already having. The 2nd injection never really worked and I have had to suffer with the side effects.

Related Reading: herniated disc | depression | dizziness

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 04

I have horrible allergies and have been receiving this shot once a year for probably 10 years. I would totally recommend this to anyone who suffers seasonal allergies. Symptoms disappear within 24 hours and will not be back until after the freeze.

Comment from: patty, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 08

I had injections in three different spots for piriformis syndrome 11 days ago. I have been in bed extremely ill since due to the following side-effects all which have been severe: insomnia, extreme sweating and flushing, vomiting, extreme weight loss, muscle weakness, fatigue, blistering on scalp and acne on face, extreme exacerbation of vertigo, extremely edgy, stomach constantly churning/bubbling with discomfort. Not sure if that is all or will there be more to come. This is frightening, and I'm not sure how long it lasts before this is out of my system. The doctor said, I must have been coming down with a virus at the time of injections. I decided to look the drug up...never again. I just pray I get over this one. We should be given the right to read possible side effects prior to receiving and decide whether we want to take the risk. NEVER AGAIN! There hasn't been one positive thing I can say that it has helped for me.

Related Reading: piriformis syndrome | insomnia | acne

Comment from: Michigan , 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 07

Got a shot of Kenalog a week ago to help with my allergies.Life has been miserable every since. I have been to the ER and my personal physician because I keep having back spasms and uncontrolable shaking. It is literally taking over my life. I called the doctor and told him about my side effects and he told me that he has "almost never" heard of such a reaction to this shot. To make things worse I am suppose to go on our honeymoon in 4 days and I am not even excited to go because I have so much dread and doom that something bad is going to happen to me. If I knew about these side effect I would of NEVER got this shot. I literally feel like I am dying inside.

Comment from: ann253, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 28

i get one shot of 80mg in the fall and it keeps seasonal allergies away.. using it for about 10 years have no side effects of any kind. anyone suffering from seasonal allergies should try this it really works

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 30

Was given Kenalog for "inflamation" in my neck/shoulder in late May. Did not relieve any pain. Have since developed severe migraines, insomnia, & have a big crater like indentation at the sight of injection. Was not informed of any of these side effects. I WOULD HAVE NEVER RECEIVED THIS INJECTION HAD MY DOCTOR INFORMED ME OF THE RISKS.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: tbove, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 30

I had a spasming pinched nerve in my lower back so my doctor gave me one shot of kenalog in my deltoid. I now have a dent in my arm about the size of a quarter. Would have dealt with the pain if I had known that this could happen. Seriously thinking about calling a lawyer.

Related Reading: pinched nerve

Comment from: sha, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a epidural injection of Kenalog ( triamcinolone acetonide) five month after I had it Bristol Myers changed the leaflet to not recommended for epidural use. No steroid has ever been approved for epidural usage doctors use it off the label.The main component of kenalog triamcinolone acetonide is NOT FOR INTRAVENOUS, INTRAMUSCULAR, INTRAOCULAR, EPIDURAL, OR INTRATHECAL USE. The preservatives benzyl alcohol, polysorbate 80 are known to be neurotoxic. Neurotoxins can effect the central nervous system. These toxic poisons destroyed my health and my life

Related Reading: triamcinolone | benzyl alcohol

Comment from: sara, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 19

Side effects too numerous to list, include insomnia, depression, hair loss, severe cramping, nerve pain all over, blurred vision, 8 months of menstrual bleeding, debilitating fatigue, skin thinning and peeling, digestive problems. Injection docs didn't warm about possibility of severe side effects when I specifically inquired and failed to acknowledge connection between injections and side effects after injections. Over a year after Kenalog ESI and still experiencing side effects, although much better. For more info, see: http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=14901&name=KENALOG%2D40&PerPage=60&sort=satisfaction&order=1 http://orthopedics.about.com/b/2008/10/11/side-effects-of-cortisone-shots.htm http://www.surgicalneurologyint.com/article.asp?issn=2152-7806;year=2013;volume=4;issue=3;spage=74;epage=93;aulast=Epstein

Related Reading: depression | hair loss | fatigue

Comment from: 25-34 Published: October 06

While this medication did prevent seasonal allergies, it left an indentation at the injection site that has not gone back to normal 6 months later.

Comment from: Cera, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 18

I received a kenalog injection for allergies earlier this year and it has made my life so much better. I frequently used to take multiple OTC medications for my allergies, and since getting the shot, I only take one a day if I have to take any at all.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 08

I was given a Kenalog inhaler around 1988 for seasonal allergies - lead to MS-like symptoms, muscle spasms/dystonia, mood fluxuations, allergic reactions increased & even bing maxed out on Benedryl didn't stop the reaction. Kenalog nearly put me in a wheelchair. My endocrinologist In 2010, I was given 4 sympathetic nerve blocks w/ Kenalog for RSD/CRPS of the R foot/leg (& possibly spreading?) Had a tear in R shoulder connective tissue that was inconsistent with slight jarring which was clearly inconsistent with the fall, but after antibiotic Tx which could explain that injury. After 2nd Tx, developed kidney stones/infection/pyrexia x 1 month. Generalized pain was increased post-op. Pain in L side (wondered if I'd coded in surgery & paddles had been used-neg.) After 4th block, now have bone pain in hips, neck, shoulders; extreme generalized pain, body-wide muscle wasting, vomiting, arrhythmia, chest pains w/ numbness of L arm, extreme photo-sensitivity & eyes burning(possibly other photo-sensitivity as well - can barely stand a 60w light bulb or dimmed computer screen), a few bouts of incontinence, possible seizures, bruising on legs & arms, sleeplessness & a drug-induced mania that lasted for days without sleep. I had increased intracranial pressure from a nasal inhaler around 1988 & likely far worse this time around. My hope is that this drug, as well as other corticosteroids, will be strongly regulated, with a requirement of patients being counseled on effects, side effects & possible adverse reactions & a requirement that patients sign off on any procedure at least 3 days before it is done with ANY corticosteroid use with full disclosure of any and all potential side & adverse effects. I had a prior reaction to this same drug & had there been this requirement, I would not be in the condition I am in now. A prior adverse reaction to steroids was overlooked and as a result. I hope OTC cortisone preparations become prescription only & more regulated than opiods.

Related Reading: muscle spasms | dystonia | kidney stones

What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)? Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis See Slideshow
Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a Kenalog injection for treatment of seasonal allergic bronchitis and inner ear inflammation. It worked within 2 days - my ear opened up, I stopped coughing, and my sinuses opened up. No side effects.

Related Reading: bronchitis

Comment from: barbara, (Patient) Published: August 15

got a shot of kenalog for under eye swelling due to lack of sleep months ago. under my eyes are now black & blue and i have bad indents. time to call a lawyer. my doctor made a bad mistake and this stuff is poison. I now get my period every 2 weeks.

Comment from: tuckertoo, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 22

I received$ a Kenalog injection for chronic abdominal pain one week ago, and since then, my pain has risen to a 9 on a scale of 1-10. After the injection, I didn't know whether I had to pee, poop, or vomit. I felt like I was having a miscarriage. I couldn't talk without wanting to scream, walking was barely manageable. I called the surgeon back on Monday (the injection was on Thursday), and the comments I got were: "That isn't supposed to happen" and "She won't give you that shot again." I now must have an abdominal ultrasound, ordered by my primary, to determine if damage has been done, or if it's just a reaction. I am taking so much Percocet that I should be flying, but my pain level actually surpasses the pain killers. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life in terms of medical misfires.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | miscarriage | percocet

Comment from: miserable, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 21

Horrible reaction to Kenalog 40. Menstrual bleeding for 8 months straight, severe insomnia and depression, extreme weight loss, hair loss, cramping/pain all over my body. As many others have experienced, most doctors denied any connection between side effects and the drug and others said side effects are extremely rare and they've never seen them before. Seriously?!

Related Reading: insomnia | depression | hair loss

Comment from: blesdib, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 19

Once a year for three years I received a Kenalog shot for severe allergies, the allergies are in check during the height of the pollen season, but I have noticed a divot in my hip where the fat and muscle are GONE! This drug destroys all muscle and fatty tissue at injection site, NOT GOOD!! I have also begun to realize that the hip issues I am experiencing are coming from the Kenalog! I am a runner and this is threatening my running ability!! Do not use this drug unless you want side affects that are premanent! The divots took 6 months to show up, it does not happen right away which is deceiving to the user. I am madder than hell that this drug is doing more harm than good, the FDA needs to ban it!!

Comment from: LEM, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 27

I received a shot for an allergic reaction back in February 2013. Now, I have a half dollar size indent in my left butt cheek at the injection area... my rear end is DISAPPEARING - this is horrible and scary and I have panic attacks thinking about what else this horrible drug is doing to my body. Had I know this is what they were going to use, I would have never agreed to it!

Related Reading: panic attacks

Comment from: webs70, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 05

i got the inj for cervical disk disease, two hours later i had severe back pain all the way down, migrane, period, so i called the dr office and was told i could not take any pain med at all. i have had period for a month was not told about any side effects what i was told "it works different on different people"i also had the right side of my right eye go all blurry, pain shooting down into my left elbow, no sleep, and it did not work on my allergies either! i would advise no one to get this i am not getting a 2nd inj

Comment from: SBQ, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 17

I have received 2 kenelog inj. of 80mg each, 1 month apart in my epidural space for pain relief. I have Cushing's Syndrome now and I don't know if this is the cause and it will go away when/if this ever wears off, or if it exaserbated an already existing condition. but I have spent HOURS researching this! The first shot, I had 3 weeks of pain relief and the second, 5 weeks. Not worth it for the misery I'm in now if this is in fact the cause. I marked the ease of use as difficult only because I have to travel 1 1/2 hours to the hospital to get the injection done, then I need a driver to take me home.

Related Reading: cushing's syndrome

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 11

This is the only treatment that cleared up my allergies. I tried over the counter medications and nothing helped as well as Kenalog. I have taken one Kenalog shot per year and it clears me up by the next day for a full year.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 09

I had three intramuscular injections. As a result my periods didn't end for 75 days. I had diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, vitamin D deficiency, paresthesia, numbness in my limbs, scalp burning, severe scalp hair loss, eyebrows and eyelashes loss, itchiness all over my face and head, dermatitis, acne, headaches. It's been 5 months after injections and I'm still losing hair by handfuls! I've lost 50% of my hair and there is no end. It is poison! Never have kenalog injections!

Related Reading: diarrhea | vitamin d | hair loss

Comment from: pspielv, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 10

i have had 10 side effects from the kenalog administered to my left knee on 5/13/14. in the last month, i have had numerous outbreaks of hives and rashes on my arms, butt and back. as recently as yesterday, i had giant hives in my right armpit. i've experienced extreme itching from the rashes and the hives. . i have had acne and pus pimples, on my face. i had 2 ultrasounds, transabdominal and tranvaginal due to what appeared to be "menstrual bleeding." besides the bleeding, i also had bloating, stomach cramps and lower back cramps. i also had blood work to see my hormone levels to make sure that what appeared to be a "menstrual period" was actually not a menstrual period but another side effect from the drug. i went through menopause over 5+ years ago.

Related Reading: hives | acne | menopause

QUESTION

The term arthritis refers to stiffness in the joints. See Answer