Keppra

Comment from: cgrace 35-44 Transgender 6 months to less than 1 year Caregiver Published: October 01

Keppra worked at first, at 250. Then stopped so we increased to 500, then to 750, then to 1,000 (all 2x a day). The 1,000 made me break in a full body rash, so we went to 500. In the hospital, after back to back seizures in a day, they put me on IV 750. Well, now my rash is back, but even worse. Plus, I am incredibly depressed, to the point I’ve thought of suicide… and I cry daily. I can’t stand this medication, but getting into my neurologist is brutal. It has not stopped my seizures at all, and I have no memory after any of them. Point - Vimpat is amazing… but I’d avoid Keppra.

Related Reading: keppra | suicide | vimpat

Comment from: 35-44 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: April 06

Writing on behalf of my husband. This drug needs to stop being subscribed as the go-to for epilepsy. My husband has nocturnal epilepsy with SEVERE convulsions, to the point where his shoulders dislocate and the sockets break. Not only did Keppra not control his seizures at all, but it destroyed him mentally. Completely changed his personality. Keppra rage is a real thing and no one warned us. He went from having the personality of a human golden retriever to being constantly angry and severely depressed. He said his mind felt broken. His personality completely changed to the point where it almost broke our relationship, because he was so dismissive and mean. After 6 months of hell, we got the doctor to finally take him off Keppra. Now, he's completely back to his normal, happy self AND his seizures are controlled. Unbelievable how horrible and ineffective Keppra was. I've met 3 other people who were also prescribed Keppra for their epilepsy, SAME THING - ineffective or barely effective, rage, depression. There needs to be more awareness on how severe the personality changes can be if its going to continue to be so widely prescribed.

Related Reading: keppra | depression

Comment from: Alex 25-34 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: March 14

Been on Keppra for 2 years now. No seizures of any kind since I've been on it. Works great! The first 3 weeks of being on it were exhausting. But since then it has been great. I do notice I get agitated a lot easier over small things- much more so than I did previous to taking this. Nothing that is concerning of impacts my familial relationships.

Related Reading: keppra

Comment from: Ashley 25-34 Female Patient Published: January 18

I'm only 3 weeks in but I feel more emotional then I have been in years!!. Side effects I've noticed So far are: - Decreased Appetite #1 - Feeling tiered more then usual - Very Cold Hands 80% Of The Time - Feeling Depressed Some Days For No Reason - Anxiety 2-3 times which I've Never Experienced Before This Medication - Feel Irritable For No Reason, Comes & Go's. - I'm Losing More Hair Then Usually Do! I Have Bilateral Polymicrogyria & I Literally Have EVERY Type Of Sezurie You Can Have, So Far I Haven't Had Any Grandmal Sezuries But I've Had More Absent Sezuries Then I Did Before Switching Over To This Medication. So Far I'm Not Convinced Of Staying On This Medication, I'm Only Switching To This One To Know In the Future That This Will Be Safer To Take When Pregnant.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: 45-54 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: December 17

Absolutely terrible drug with an awful side effect that occurs so often it even has a name: 'Keppra Rage". Felt like my head was burning, caused terrible anger and depression, made me feel like either hurting somebody or killing myself. I felt like life was not worth living, and I felt intense anger over nothing, which I directed at the people who love me. Took several days to get over this after stopping the drug. A year later, tried it again with exactly the same effect. Did nothing to control seizures either, in fact I had more seizures while in this terrible state than I did before taking the drug. Should be withdrawn from the market.

Related Reading: keppra | depression

Comment from: Seizure Slayer Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: August 18

It works perfectly for my seizures but constant skin rashes and severe aggression. Very strained relationships with family and friends.

Comment from: BaDsidEFX!! 35-44 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: August 15

This medication has the worst side effects,withdrawing from friends and family, trouble speaking, over emotional, anger, I can't sleep an when I can sleep my foot taps, anxiety attacks, hot sweats, get the need to get up and move around or pace, mostly in the ankle area and flexors , migraine headache's,

Related Reading: anxiety | migraine headache

Comment from: jh1955 55-64 Male 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: March 02

I was started on 1500 mgs twice a day after having a series of full seizures in April of 2018. I had not had a serious seizure since February of 2009 after a so-called psychiatrist prescribed Celexa in the amount of 60 mgs... 20 mgs above the manufacturers recommended maximum dosage. I had never had a seizure in my life until I had that large dose of Celexa.

Related Reading: seizure | celexa

Comment from: LorrD 13-18 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: February 10

mood swings, dizzyness, depression, irritable, difficulty concentrating, constantly tired. No seizures but side effects were too bad. Would not recommend.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: r 75 or over Male 1 to 6 months Patient Published: October 11

Am experiencing a bladder problem. Have lost all sensations of needing to urinate. Bladder not emptying.

Comment from: Big Papi.ð??ª 35-44 Female 10 years or more Patient Published: June 24

I have been on 2000mgs twice daily. I suffer from extreme moodiness and irritability and rarely any complex partial seizures stemming from temporal lobe epilepsy. The medication for the most part works along with 750mgs of lamictal daily. I've recently in the past few years have been suffering memory loss. Not sure if it's the meds or my condition. The family says that I was a completely different person when taken off the meds while staying in an epilepsy monitoring unit at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. I have to do a double take all the time wherever I am to make sure I don't take out anything on anyone especially at home with the family, especially the youngsters. As funny as it sounds a new family puppy has really helped me cope along with the condition. To all reading this review, remember we have to do whatever it takes to be around for all of our loved ones as long as we can.Stay STRONG. Hope this helps all suffering from this awful condition. Good luck to all of you. Maybe puppies are the cure. Lol.

Related Reading: lamictal

Comment from: 25-34 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: May 12

This Drug made me crazy and irritable when in the company of other, when I would not normally act in such a fashion.

Comment from: SeizureGuy33 25-34 Male 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: January 24

I take 3000mg/day , causes irritability and drowsiness, but overall it controls the seizures well. I have generalized seizures as a result of a brain injury a few years ago. Have been on this drug ever since, dose has been slowly increased over time. Does no completely elimiante my seizures but its effective.

Comment from: sicnick 25-34 Male 10 years or more Patient Published: January 17

I have had epilepsy since I was 12 years old. I was first put on Dilantin and I was unable to focus and was loosing my teeth. I was put on keppra 500 mgs. 2 times a day (which I am told is a low dose). anyways I haven't had a seizure in over 10 years it is my miracle drug. thank you

Related Reading: dilantin | keppra | seizure

Comment from: 25-34 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Caregiver Published: January 12

Gave my son Keppra Rage so had him switched.

Related Reading: keppra

Comment from: 25-34 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: December 16

I used to be on Depakote but I continued to have seizures. I was changed to Keppra since I wanted to start a family and it would be safe for me and the baby. I have not had a seizure in over 6 years.

Related Reading: depakote | keppra | seizure

What Is Epilepsy? Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: C.Alex 25-34 Female 10 years or more Patient Published: December 09

Medication works great. I stopped taking it for some time and seazures came back 3 moths later. I have to prevent headaches, stress and heavy lifting off the ground. I still get sudden headaches, feel dizzy, black out or even see this blurry but colorful spot that can't prevent from staring at it. Overall this medication works for me.

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: CJ Taylor 45-54 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: September 24

Where to begin, well I feel like crap all the time, memory loss, emotional all the time which I never have been an emotional person in my life, I cry for no reason at all, I want to jump everyone's ass for no reason, more seizures that I don't remember coming on, I hate myself, the memory loss makes me feel stupid, I sleep a lot, agitated all the time, and like right now I cant remember what all I have written so I have to look at what I have typed so that I type it again. unsteady on my feet. The feeling of not wanting to deal with all this and doing something really stupid. I just want to get back to myself and get back to work which my Dr. doesn't think its safe yet until we get all this shit under control. I would not wish this drug on my worst enemy and that is really hard for me to say about my worst enemy so that is saying something on how bad this drug is.

Comment from: Hurting Tuna 45-54 Male 5 to less than 10 years Caregiver Published: September 02

Im looking for some help. I do not use the drug, my wife does. Her seizures are described as nonepiletic seizures. The drug has worked better than others. She has pronounced trouble w/aggressive behavior, moodiness, impulse control. These were not problems before. We will talk to discuss what options are, agree to them & then do the complete opposite. Needless to say the aforementioned have caused a great deal of problems. Lost friends, trust, desire & motivation is also a problem. The last 3 yrs have been very hard. I promised to care for her & have no intention of removing myself from the situation. This drug has certainly decreased my fear of her having more seizures(which has allowed both of us some sleep & rest). Her health & wellbeing is most important to me! I'd like to know if any others are seeing some of the similar behavior. I dont have the woman i married but she not convulsing & this Rx is better than any others attempted.

Comment from: srkkrs 25-34 Male 1 to 6 months Patient Published: July 02

taking keppra is to live while you are dead. it sucks the life out of you, making you wish a seizure had killed you before you got put on this drug. it makes you depressed, suicidal, forgetful, and out of touch with your own body and mind in general. i begged my neurologist to take me off this drug for months, and he finally agreed yesterday. i do not have epilepsy, i just had a withdrawal seizure from abruptly stopping a psychiatric medication. i would not wish this experience on my worst enemy.

Related Reading: keppra | seizure