Krystexxa

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 12

I have had my 8th infusion. They told me I would have flares. Flare is an understatement. I have been on high doses of prednisone just to walk. Have no sign of any relief just increased pain. Holding onto hope that time starts to change this.

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: JV55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 08

Just had my 4th lengthy infusion and I can see several tophi lumps beginning to fade away. Moreover, I feel much more awake and energized as I think my severe chronic gout for over 20 years had sapped my strength and verve. I actually want to do things again! However, I've had major flare-ups exactly 7 days after each infusion that last for days. I've been assured these attacks will lessen as we proceed. I hope so! My uric acid is now very low, <0.02 mg/l, essentially zero. Just wish they could inject some medicine directly into the tophi lumps, I imagine those would melt away within days. So far I like it a lot and want to continue until all tophi is gone.

Related Reading: gout

Comment from: Happy65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 08

On May 21,2018, I had received KRYSTEXXA for my chronic gout flare up. During the infusion procedure, I felt alright. The next day I was feeling dizzy and there was blood in my urine. I ended up going to ER department and discover that my oxygen level had dropped and my blood pressure had elevated and I was losing my Red Blood Cell. I ended up getting a blood transfusion and was hospitalized for 4 days. I almost die. I do not recommend that procedure to anyone.

Related Reading: krystexxa | gout

Related Reading: krystexxa | gout

Comment from: AK197435-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 11

Had high uric acid since I was 18. Attacks began in my late 20's. Tophi formed in feet and right patellar tendon, visible on a dual energy CT scan. I've intermittently been on Allopurinol and now I realize my own fault, I should've been on it permanently. After Krystexxa, I'll return to Allopurinol for life and never deviate. My Krystexxa treatments have been very positive after only three months / six infusions total. No infusion or allergic reactions noted, just the usual sluggishness from taking the required Benadryl before each time. I can tell that the tophi are slowly disappearing and I'm anxious to see the results after a 6 month course. Feet feel great in between attacks. My rheumatologist has me on a low dose 15mg / week methotrexate to hopefully prevent my body from forming antibodies against Krystexxa. So far, that appears to be working because my uric acid levels are undetectable. I'd suggest anyone considering Krystexxa to discuss with their rheumatologist the possibility of concurrently taking a low-dose immunosuppressive drug for the same reason. Because if you develop a resistance, it's game over and you can't try it again. Also, you will have some of the most wicked gout flares you've ever had for the first few weeks / months of treatment. Mine started two weeks after first treatment but have since calmed down. Colchicine / Motrin helped the flares, but didn't eliminate them. Try and see the attacks as a positive sign - the mobilization of those evil crystals being broken up. This drug isn't cheap. I'm getting billed over $28,000 per treatment, which insurance is covering. Check your coverage and get the financial details worked out first.

Related Reading: allopurinol | krystexxa | benadryl