Lamictal XR

Comment from: VALCRAW, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 02

i HATE THE SHAKING,AND I LOSE MY BALANCE ALOT.

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 08

I agree with the an earlier review. I have had problems with headaches, grinding my teeth and blinking my eyes alot, kinda like a tick. Which causes joint and jaw pain. I am also having problems with my memory and getting worse everyday. I actually forgot how old I was today. I told someone I was 2 years younger than I am.

Comment from: Jadeland, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 04

It works very well at controlling my seizures. I have not had any since being on it. But makes me nauseous in the morning and a bad headache in the afternoon. The worst symptom is grinding my teeth and tensing the muscles in my head and face. This may explain the headaches. I noticed no one else has mentioned this. Am I the only one???

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: megs, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 05

I have temporal lobe epilepsy in my left temporal lobe and I suffer simple partial seizures. I took Keppra for years and it worked wonders but turned my memory to mush. My doctor recommended Lamictal. Right now I take it along with my Keppra. I don't particularly care for Lamictal, it makes me a little jumpy and it gives me a feeling of artificial happiness ( if that even makes sense). I am a happy person. My seizures are increasing as the Keppra is decreased and the Lamictal is increased. I think I will stick with Keppra, eventhough my doctor thinks I should stick with the Lamictal. I also have trouble finding the XR, and it takes my pharmacy a week to get it.

Related Reading: keppra | lamictal

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 24

I experience complex partial seizures as a result of a non-malignant spot on my brain. I started taking Lamictal XR and it was WONDERFUL for about the first 4 months. Then all of a sudden my seizures came back with a vengeance. I was having them several times a day. My neurologist doubled my dosage. That was about 4 months ago. Since then my seizured happen about once a month. I just don't want them to happen at all. This is the only medication I've ever had for this condition so I don't know if this is good or not but I still get seizures so I'd say overall I'm not completely satisfied, but it has definitely made a tremendous difference.

Related Reading: lamictal xr

Comment from: ariel125, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 17

I have complex partial seizures, and I take 400 mg Lamictal XR 2x a day, and 100 topamax at bed. I had some problems at the beginning, but I have trouble starting every drug I've ever used. It's worked really well w/ my seizures. I get some occasional dizziness and dehydration, which may actually be from the topamax.

Related Reading: topamax | dizziness | dehydration

Comment from: edie55, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 23

This drug is extremely useful for someone who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As a former anoretic, I am worried about drugs for bipolar symptoms that might make me gain weight (many of them list this as a primary side effect). I have not only not gained any weight, but this drug has helped me achieve a healthy, active lifestyle. In other words, this drug works. I don't take anything else for a diagnosed anxiety disorder and/or possibly bipolar disorder (it runs in my family and I definitely show symptoms). I would highly recommend this drug because it has few, if any, side effects. The only trouble is your doctor will have to start at a low dose because sometimes people have allergic/fatal recations. So be patient! While at first you may not notice a difference, if your body tolerates it, your doctor can gradually work up to a therapeutic dose. This drug helps tremendously!

Related Reading: bipolar disorder | anxiety

Comment from: ambra, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 25

My neurologist diagnosed me with complex partial seizures resulting from a lesion on my right front temporal lobe. The orange starter pack was awesome. Little to no side effects and worked like a charm. All good until I went to fill my first prescription. No pharmacy seems to carry this in stock, but they were able to order it...for a $75 copay as there is no generic available. I will be discussing other options with my doctor since this one isn't in the budget. It's unfortunate because this stuff is a really good fit for me. Hopefully there's something else out there that will be as well.

Comment from: stewdaniel, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

I have partial seizures. I was on Zonegran which made me severely depressed. I switched to Lamictal XR one tablet in am & 2 @ bedtime. I had another seizure about two weeks ago. Dr.'s since then raised my Lamictal XR to 2 tabs in the am & 2 tabs @ bedtime. We will see how that works. I am starting to get the smell AGAIN right before I have another seizure. No weight gain and no depression with this medication. Time will tell....

Related Reading: zonegran | lamictal xr | seizure

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 25

Seems to work well, but also take Keppra XR and two others plus VNS. Have had 2 recent tonic clonic and some other minor but could have been worse.

Related Reading: keppra xr

Comment from: tammy33, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 09

It's made me able function again.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 19

I was having what I thought was just a crash in suger and kinda crashing, but was diagnosed with partial seizures was put on this to take control of the seizures. While at first I thought it was working after thte after about 1 and 1/2 month I have been covered with a horrible rash with an ich that covered my body. I don't think it is really worth all this.

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: Limami pc, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 20

It has helped by keeping me more balanced emotionally. Before I always dreaded the next morning because I didn't know how I would be feeling. Now I can predict my moods because they don't change so fast.

Comment from: rsoxforever, on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 04

taking for bipolar 2, hypomania, interfering with bulimia trtmt. before this, i was manic and crashing several times a day, almost failing out of school, couldnt focus, resorted to behaviors such as b/p, shoplifting, cutting, etc to control my mood. after 2ish wks on this, felt much more stable and NORMAL- not acting like a nutcase and then having self-esteem crashes that make functioning impossible. im going thru a very stressful period right now i think that has triggered some of the problems ive been having with more manic symptoms, but its much better than it has been and im so glad i got over my fear of psychotropic meds. no weight gain, no hair loss, no rash, and trust me these worried me because im bulimic and by definition very vain and irrational about these sorts of things.

Related Reading: bulimia | hair loss

Comment from: Minry, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 29

Lamictal XR is very easy to take, and I have had no seizures in the year I have been taking it. I was on regular Lamictal before for a few years, also with no seizures, but had waves of slight dizziness, which the XR has eliminated. The only potential problem I have with this drug is that my memory is getting to be terrible, heading toward dementia symptoms. The other day I had run out of my meds, and didn't take it until about lunchtime. I was so clear headed and able to remember a list of four things to get at the store! That was so cool! That is when I began to suspect this med may play into my symptoms. Has anyone else had this problem?

Related Reading: lamictal | dizziness | dementia

Comment from: Brittany720, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 05

I have partial seizures that don't happen too often but they suggested that I take medication for it. I also have bipolar amd post dramatic stress syndrom. They decided to kill two birds with one stone. It was working wonderful for me until the past 2 months I have had 2 seizures and my aggresion and irritabilty has gotten extemely worse. Now they have decided to put me on keppra for my seizures, but it has made me very drowzy. I quit smoking 2 months ago and this medication is making me crave ciggarettes.

Related Reading: stress | keppra | smoking

QUESTION

If you have had a seizure, it means you have epilepsy. See Answer
Comment from: BMW GIRL, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 27

I GOT A HORRIBLE RASH TWO WEEKS INTO USE OF LAMICTAL. I HAVE NEVER ITCHED SO MUCH IN MY LIFE. I HAD TO TAKE A ROUND OF PREDISONE TO GET BETTER. I WENT BACK TO TAKING TRILEPTAL FOR MY SEIZURES BECAUSE THE ONLY SIDE EFFECT OF IT IS WEIGHT GAIN WHICH IS BETTER THAN THAT RASH.

Related Reading: rash | lamictal | trileptal

Comment from: jen, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 28

I lost a fist full of hair within 28 days

Comment from: seizing_beauty, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 17

200 mg daily with 300 mg topiramate daily for grand mal seizures; the topiramate seems to be controlling the seizures more than the Lamictal XR. Some side effects; main ones are major loss of coordination, some memory problems, achy muscles, loss of appetite, and hair loss. Otherwise, it isn't that bad of a medication, but is costly if you don't have prescription insurance.

Related Reading: lamictal xr | hair loss

Comment from: Michelle, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 02

My cocktail includes ... Lithium, Cymbalta, Seroquel, Topamax, a regiment of vitamins and supplements ... with Lamital ... I am stable and thirlty pounds over weight ... what do I choose ... skinny and out of control or life ... Michelle

Related Reading: lithium | cymbalta | seroquel

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 19

This medicine is extremely effective, and I highly reccomend it!

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 20

I am taking this medication for Bipolar Disorder II, which means that although I cycle from depression to mania, I don't have illusions and I never do anything that is extremely destructive to myself. I have had the side effect of grinding my teeth, tightening my jaw and sucking or grinding the sides of my cheeks into my teeth. As a result, the inside of my mouth is always sore. When I first started taking it, it negatively impacted my driving. I wasn't as aware as I should have been and found myself cutting people off, running into curbs and once backed into another car because I didn't notice it. Fortunately, this has subsided and I am once again a safe driver. My cycles are better with it, but not gone. The doctor added Abilify during the last two yeaers and I was doing great. During the last two weeks I have tried eliminating the Abilify, as it is so expensive. I have now felt quite depressed, overwhelmed and edgy for about a week. Definitely going back on the Abilify. As I have never tried Abilify without the Lamictal, it might just be that the Abilify is what is "fixing" me and the Lamictal is doing nothing. When I am good and stable again with the Abilify, I might try leaving off the Lamictal to see what happens.

Related Reading: bipolar disorder | depression | abilify

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 12

I have been on this medication for 2 and a half years. I take the XR 200 mg once a day. I am happy to say I completed one whole year seizure free August the 7th. Although I do not suffer from bipolar depression or anything like that, I find that if I take an extra pill when I feel irritable or if I have a really bad migraine, I feel sooo much better. Although I do have a horrible memory. I thought it was just me, but reading the reviews made me feel better because I know I'm not crazy. The generic is no good for me. I had really bad side effects, so I wouldn't take it, that's why I've only been seizure free for a year because I refused to take the generic. But since I've been on the brand name I have never felt better.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: Tragikkkk, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 29

My son has been on this for over 2 1/2 years, he's now 21 and never has had a seizure or passing out while on this medication. Keppra had him so zombified and memory well he couldn't remember nothing and felt like a vegetable and SEVERELY depressed..so that was NOT an option as well as other side effects. My son is on 100mg lamictal xr once a day and it works GREAT for him... I do notice sometimes he may be a little out of breath here and there than normally but he's very active and works out and i think this helps... he does get dehydrated more than usual being on this medicine so he drinks alot of water. When the neurologists tried to ween him off and take him off of this medicine he had 2 seizures in one month! Thank god we found a medicine that his body tolerates and is doing well on! They cannot find anything wrong so i guess they diagnosed him as having epilepsy pretty much. Now when they tried to up him up to a 150mg he had stomach cramps, insomnia...chest pains... that just does NOT work for him. The neuros said that shouldn't be from the medicine, and I told them he did not have any of those symptoms until they raised the mg's. So he's at 100mg once day and he has had NO problems, thank you Jesus. Also you can get on GLAXO SMITH KLINE website and possibly get patient financial assistance. He gets his 3 months at a time for FREE!!!! He's a full time student and still lives @ home, but there is a chance you could get help for this medicine... check into it.. Glaxosmithkline.com or bridgestoaccess.com Hope this helps everybody! Good Luck and God Bless you ALL!!!

Related Reading: keppra | lamictal xr | insomnia

Comment from: grsmith5667, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 24

I began taking this medication about a year ago due to black-out seizures and rage. I haven't had ANY episodes since the start of the medication. I take 100mg 1x day, but I did have to start taking it at night as it made me drowsy... I take it with 50mg of benadryl at night and sleep better than I have in years.

Related Reading: benadryl