Lamisil

Comment from: GSOEarth , 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 28

My family Doc noticed my ugly, thick, yellow toenails during a routine physical. He asked me if I would mind taking a Lamisil tablet once daily for one month to have normal nails again. I was ecstatic, hoping that I could once again wear sandals in public. After finishing the meds, I noticed that my toenails were changing back to normal. Today they are the same as when I was a teenager! But wait, there's more! The industrial strength ringworm that I picked up during the Vietnam war also disappeared completely...it had irritated me for many years, especially during the hot summer months. Additionally, thick callouses on my feet and heels disappeared! And I have not had a case of athletes foot since finishing the treatment either! In conclusion, Lamisil is an incredible miracle drug that rids the body of all fungus induced issues that, while not life threatening, are incredibly irritating. Take the pills and rid yourself of the cause.....don't buy creams, salves, and powders that only treat the symptoms!

Related Reading: lamisil | ringworm

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a critical care RN who is very suspicious of any medication. But I used this for 3 months every day for toenail fungus that I have had for 10 years. Now 3 weeks after my 3 months my toenail fungus is going away(nail is growing out normal). I had no serious side effects but was very careful and did not take any other medications or drink any alcohol during my treatment period. It's important to take as directed and to decrease your risk of liver failure by not ingesting alcohol or other medications because that increases your liver's workload. Also if you have any liver dysfunction to begin with like hepatitis do not take this medication. I had no loss of taste. At the beginning of treatment I had some stomach symptoms like gas, diarrhea but it went away after a couple of weeks. I would give it 5/5 stars but I don't know if it has worked completely yet.

Related Reading: liver | hepatitis | diarrhea

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 25

I am so glad that I decided to take the generic version of this medicine! I was really worried about doing so after reading all the negative side effects everyone seems to have. I seriously expected to experience some sort of side effect while taking this. I am happy to report that I had absolutely no problems of any kind. I did the required liver tesing, eliminated caffeine, limited my alcoholic intake and drank plenty of water to wash the pill down so that it didn't get stuck on my tongue and give me that bitter pill taste. My podiatrist said that it is a very effective medication with a bad reputation. The only people who experience liver problems are usually those who have problems to begin with hence the need for the blood tests. I am so so glad that I decided to try this medication for myself. I started a three month daily oral tablet in February, finished in May and saw results for the first time! None of the over the counter stuff will work on this terrible infection so don't waste your time and money. My worst toenail was about 75% missing when I started and it is now about 80% grown back and looks great. It is so liberating to be able to wear open-toed shoes again and not be embarrassed by ugly fungal toenails. My one and only problem was my own fault when I got an itchy sunburn on my arms after forgetting that I was suppose to limit my exposure to the sun while on it. I was more careful after that. The fall or early winter is a great time to begin taking this medication so that your toenails have time to grow out clear of fungas and you can show them off next summer! Good luck and don't be afraid to try it!

Related Reading: sunburn

Comment from: stonecoldtwa, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 15

I took lamisil a few years ago, I had very bad fungus in my toenails and the bottom of my feet were so dry that they would crack and bleed. I took the meds for three months and the bottom of my feet became soft and smooth before I even stopped taking it. After stopping the meds my toenails grew out and now two years later my feet and toenails are pretty much perfect! (No side affects whatsoever!) Worked great for me.

Related Reading: lamisil

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 24

within 24 hours of taking the first pill...i was already healing and the progress has continued

Comment from: Anthony, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 14

I have read so many adverse side effects this drug created, but I hope they won't scare other people off to try this drug. I have been taking generic form of Lamisil for 2months, all of my infected nails (9 of them) grew back normal. It's half way for both of my big toes, but I can see the good nails are coming out from the base. I rated this drug as 5 stars. I would have tried this drug earlier if I knew it existed at that time.

Comment from: tony, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 04

Five of my toenails were infected with fungus for about three years. three on one foot, two on the other. I tried all the home remedies I could find on the internet and nothing worked. I finally went to the doctor because I couldnt bare going through another summer hiding my feet. First she had me try formula 3, a topical solution, but after 6 months and no improvement she put me on lamisil. 250mg per pill, once a day for 90 days. I started in October and by april the fungus was gone and the toenails were grown out thin and clear like I never had the problem to begin with. It may have taken longer if my big toes were affected but they were not. I cant believe I wasted all that time on Formula 3. Not only did it get rid of my nail fungus, it cured my athletes foot, softened my elbows and knees, and cured my dry itchy legs. My scalp even feels cleener. The only noticable side effect was an unusual taste in my mouth, but not bad or untolorable.

Related Reading: lamisil

Comment from: LamisilVictim, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 31

The drug is great IF you have no side effects. But if you do your life will be made a living hell. I lost my taste after 60 days on the drug. I could not eat. I could not participate in life. Water tasted like saltwater. An overpowering bitter taste took over. I had extreme dry mouth. Had I stayed in that condition I would have taken my own life. Thankfully it wasn't permanent and I normalized after 12 weeks off the drug. But yeah, go ahead, if you think potentially permanently risking one of your organs or senses is okay so you can wear sandals, go for it.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 27

I have taken the generic for 2 months and my toenails have almost cleared completely but have now started to itch. My next 30 day treatment would be after 30 days off. My Dr did tell me if I wore any of the shoes I had worn when I had the nail fungus I would get it again. He said the only thing to do would be was to get rid of them (all shoes I had worn) or to try to use a foot spray to treat the inside. He said he knew it wasn't something women wanted to hear but the fungus would continue to live in the shoes because of the moisture from our feet even in sandals. And to stay away from nail salons that I didn't know very well and that didn't have very high state health scores.

Related Reading: itch

Comment from: LarryS, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 05

Im taking the Generic form of Lamisil (terbinifine 250 mg) once a day for now going on 6 weeks...seeing improvement and no side effects except for slight diarreah. MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR PRESCRIPTION AT WALMART ONLY $4 for a months supply! Walgreens and CVS wanted $86 for the same thing!! Phamacist at Walgreens took mme aside and said she felt unethical knowing Walmart only charges $4 for the same....Just saying :)

Related Reading: lamisil

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a great experience with Lamisil. I'm a 26 year old male who had 4 infected nails for about 8 years. I started taking Lamisil in October, and by early November I started to see new clean nails begin to grow in. I had no problems at all with my liver function, I was even able to drink moderately on the weekends with no issue (though obviously not recommended) I've been off Lamisil for about a month now and all 4 of my nails have just finished growing out perfectly clean. I wish I would have done this sooner.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 12

I stated taking the generic form of Lamasil about seven weeks ago. After about two weeks, I lost ALL sense of taste and had horrible metallic/salt taste in my mouth. I stopped taking the pills at week six (one week ago) but still cannot taste. I am sincerely hoping that my taste returns within a short amount of time. As with some of the other comments I have read, I am losing weight because not tasting anything is awful, plus what you do eat tastes like paste. I will never take the drug again!

Comment from: mailstud, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 28

I have been taking this drug for over a year and it hasn't done anything for my toenail fungus. In fact, I think maybe I took it for too long a time as I read where it shouldn't be taken more than 2 months because the effect it could on your liver. My doctor and my pharmacy did not tell me this during that period of time.

Nail Disorders: What Nails Say About Your Health See Slideshow
Comment from: EFA, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 19

after 60 days on lamasil I developed a very bad baking soda, metallic taste. I discontinued use one month ago and have still not recovered by sense of taste.

Comment from: Jetta, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 20

Yes it is highly effective. My toenails looked horrible. Warped, yellowed, deformed, disgusting. I mean they were so bad I was thinking surgical removal was the only option. Had been living with toe fungus for over 10 years. Finally got a prescription for Lamasil and was instructed to take one each day for 90 days, and I did, although I had to be very careful not to miss a dose. Within 3 weeks I began to see a change, the talons were growing out and being replaced with clear, healthy nail. After 90 days most of my toes had replaced the infected nail and for the forst time in over a decade I had normal, clear nails again. The big toes take the longest, the infection is still present in about 1/4 of them but it sgould be gone within 2 months. Overall extremely satisfied and impressed. No side effects at all. Highly recommend.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 23

This was a life saver for me. I hid my toes for at least 10 years. I finally went to the doctor and she gave me this drug and 4 months later my toenails are perfect. Even went for my very first ever pedicure. I did not see any side effects.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 18

This does cure nail fungus. However, it is very dangerous. It can kill you. It feels awful to take. I am generally weak, get dizzy when I stand up too quickly, etc. It doesn't feel good to do strenuous exercise, which I like to do. Unfortunately, there is nothing else that cures this type of problem. Someone needs to fix that.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 12

Took generic form for 12 weeks. No side effects at all. It took months for the nails to grow in looking normally- fairly proportionally in time to how long the infection had been present in the nail, so don't be upset if your nails still look pretty bad at the end of the three months. A year later, mine are still improving. I tried EVERY home cure and "natural" cure prior to the lamisil- literally for years. Vinegar, Vicks Vaporub, Tea tree oil, bleach, "Fungi Nail" and the like. Nothing works unless you have a really mild case, which I didn't. I recommend not bothering with these. I wish I'd taken the Lamisil years ago. This will be the first summer I won't have to deal with the embarrassment of icky nails in 20 years! Important- my doctor told me to start applying topical lamisil while I was taking the pills and to apply it every day for the rest of my life to keep this from coming back. At the time, I felt it was kind of a life sentence, but I've been doing it for almost a year and am used to it now. Not a big deal. I also threw out all of my socks and replaced them while I was on treatment. The doc suggested I throw out my shoes as well, but instead I treated them all multiple times with antifungal sprays and kept some of them that were pretty new.

Related Reading: lamisil | tea tree oil

Comment from: J13185, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 18

I took the generic form, Terbinafine. It worked very well. You take it for 3 months. I started seeing a change in a month, and now it's been four months since I've taken it. I had the infection in 3 toenails, now 2 of the toenails have completely healed and my big toe has just the tip that is still healing. My doctor says it could be a month till it's all gone. But it's not even noticeable. I didn't have any side effects while taking this medication at all, and all of my liver tests came back good.

Related Reading: terbinafine | liver

Comment from: sb, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 04

I took Lamisil for 6 weeks. At first, I suffered diarrhea and nausea but didn't connect it to the drug. Then, I started getting an intermittent tingling in my hand. After about 3 weeks, certain foods didn't taste good. Then finally, I couldn't taste food at all, my tongue tingled and I had a very nasty salty taste in my mouth. I also felt very irritable and edgy...just not well. I stopped taking the drug almost 3 weeks ago. Although the tingling has stopped in the hand, I still can't taste food and my tongue tingles. I've read that some people have yet to get their taste back after a year. I hope mine returns and the nasty taste that's always presents eventually subsides. I regret taking the drug.

Related Reading: lamisil | diarrhea

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

took it for 3 months nails cleared up great 7months later fungus is back damn!!! well ill try it again also now there is a generic for lamisil.

Comment from: soccerlady, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 16

When I first started taking this medication, nothing happened for the first 3 weeks and then I began having abnormal bowel movements.Then I was urinating every 5 minutes and it was painful. I thought it could be a UTI, so I went to the doctor and got tested and I was negative for everything. Lamisil or the generic can cause your body to catch infections easier. The next day I started having the worst lower abdominal pain. It was so painful, I could barely walk with out almost crying due to the immensity of the pain. I had to lay down in a fetal position all day. This same day painful bowel movements occured, and clear mucus and a little bit of blood was in my stool. The painful bowel movements continued for hours. I finally got to sleep and in the morning, most the pain was gone but my face had a skin rash of little water blisters all over and my face felt itchy and dry and extremely red. Now I have been told by my doctor to discontinue this medication. I was only on it for a month and a half out of the 4 months of tablets. I had a terrible experience with this antifungal medicine. I feel as if people who can take it and have no side effects, more power to you because I am 20 years old and really fit and I live a healthy lifestyle and these effects happened to me. There are other ways to get rid of fungus or athletes foot and I highly recommend not going the Lamisil route because this medicine is very hard on your body. Good luck to those who decided to take it!

Related Reading: lamisil | abdominal pain | rash

Comment from: bekeesh, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 23

I have been on Lamisil for just under one month and can already see the progress my toenails have made. Super excited to see the end results. My husband and his brother have both taken it with excellent results also. I have 4 toes on my rt foot infected. My big toe was the most obvious and now it is at the point where if I polish it, I can wear sandals! Could not hide them with polish before.I've had virtually no side effects. All these reviews are pretty scary, but wanted to share my good news with you. I take the meds w/milk at night,only cuz I was getting a little upset stomach during the day. I drink LOTS of water and NO alcohol. If your doc recommends, take it!

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 13

I'm taking the generic Lamisil called Terbinafin HCL for athletes foot and toenail fungus. I take one pill that isn't big at all and easy to swallow. I've been taking it for 30 days and within 2 weeks of taking it my feet are already cleared up and smooth and seems to be free of athletes feet. I'm amazed at that alone!! It's too soon to tell on my nails but I see a line what looks to be new nail growing but it's hard to tell right now. I read the reviews on here before taking and was seriously contemplating not taking it because some of the reviews and reactions are pretty scary but I went for it any way and I have not had any side affects mentioned in the reviews, although, I'm not sure if this is related to the medication but, It seems my right hip socket has to pop frequently. Like you crack your knuckles, except it's my hip...weird, I know, and it may not even be related. I will review in 30 more days around 10/12/2014

Comment from: smallnavajo, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 26

I used this product about 15+ years ago when it was considered "cosmetic" and you had to be in serious fungus pain before being prescribed oral Lamisil! Back then, they also thought it caused elevation in your liver enzymes. But today, studies have shown that it hardly affects the liver. Many years later, my toe caught the fungus again, so my doctor prescribed this medication again. Within two weeks, I'm seeing results. My toe nail is growing slowly be surely and is coming out clear at the base. I think I still have another two months to go. Its easy to swallow and usually they say you have to take it for 3 months. Anyway, I highly recommend it!

Related Reading: liver