Lantus

Comment from: philip, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 28

I have had great results with this, since I was diagnosed 11 months ago I have been on numerous different medications. My A1C b4 beginning this was 10.4, but now my b/s stays in the low to mid 100's 2 hours after a meal with a lower carb meal plan. The only problem I've had is getting properly adjusted, I take 28 units a day and have dropped below 70 and became disoriented twice, but lower dosages than that don't seem to work near as well. I cannot wait until I get my next blood results in a couple months because I finally feel as though I've gained control of my blood sugar. I hope this helps some of you.

Comment from: Lynnette, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 15

Lantus has kept my blood sugar under control. I'm in normal limits now. Its never let me down. Its sooo easy to use juck a click and your done! The small needle makes it totally painless. I've had no side effects. I reallly recomend lantus to everyone with diabetes who need insulin. Lantus has lasted for a full 24 hours for me. Its important to get your correct dose with lantus.once you have your correct dose it works perfectly! It dosent cause low blood sugar either like other insulin because it doesn't peak. I give it a all star rating! Lantus really works for me!

Related Reading: lantus | diabetes | low blood sugar

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 18

My blood sugar numbers were always high and I was struggling to control them then my doctor perscribed lantus solostar pen. Lantus keeps my blood sugar at normal levels now. I was actually amazed on how well lantus worked. Also, it is soo easy to use just change the needle tip with every usee.its ready to go.I recomend lantus to all diabetics. It has made a huge difference in my life.

Related Reading: lantus

Comment from: Net, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 07

I use lantus solo star pen for my injections. It has been amazing at controling my high blood sugar! The pen is extremely easy to use and mostly pain free. After priming the pen you must make sure there is not any insulin left on the tip of the needle or this will cause a stinging sensation at the injection site. This is the only time I've found lantus to be uncomfortable to inject. So if you make sure after prime the needle tip is clear of insulin, the injection will be toatlly painless! Also make sure your pen is at room tempature before injection. Lantus pen is much more convient than an insulin vial and syringe. You just dial your dose in a clearly seen window and it delievers your percise dose! No more drawing up from a vial! The needle is so small its been painless! I love the pen , its so descret you can take it anywhere and it looks like a marker pen! All in all for me lantus gets a five star rating! I'm very satisfied with this product!

Comment from: James, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 08

I've used Lantus for Seven years without even one problem. Just remember,Lantus is a time release insulin. so if i'm going to eat a big meal, i take a little Humalog about 20 minutes before i eat, so my blood-sugar won't spike."I have a 110 ave." 54

Related Reading: humalog

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 08

This was one of the worst drugs i have ever taken. It made my joints and muscle very sore, i had problems sleeping, concentration level was terrible. It also changed my mood, depressed with a very short fuse. This is not me on a normal basis, pretty happy person. My blood sugars came down for me but at a price on my body. I quit taking the medication and the horrible side effects are slowly going away. My doctor of course has said it does not cause these side effects. They always say this they need to take some of this shit and see how it feels. I have had trouble controlling my sugar levels and all the medications that i have taken make me feel like shit. Tired of being a test dummy for my doctor and these drug companies

Comment from: SpringMissy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a "skinny" diabetic. Diagnosed at age 48, I used Metformin XR and Prandin for several years. Those quit working and after trying nearly every drug available, I resorted to Lantus along with Kombiglyze. The Lantus is working; so well that I have hypoglycemia during the night, a couple of times a month. In only 5 months I have put on 10 pounds inspite of INCREASING my strenuous exercise routine in an effort to keep the weight off. I plan to ask the Dr to consider another alternative as I cannot afford to replace my clothes and pay for my meds.

Related Reading: metformin | prandin

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 09

I take 80U of Lantus every night now. Started out at 40U which helped for awhile, but now everytime I go see my Doctor the dosage goes up, as my A1C's have been always high. Since increasing my dosage I have put on 30lbs, which I am not happy about. I also take 1000mg of metformin as well being on a sliding scale for Novalog. I eat smaller meals now and to a certain point I try to avoid eating if possible as my bloodsugars will go through the roof.

Related Reading: lantus | metformin

Comment from: JDF, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 16

I have experienced fatigue, depression,chills and blood sugars are inconsistent; not stablized.

Related Reading: fatigue | depression

Comment from: 19 years on insulin, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been on lantus for 5 years the night sweats were so bad i would change my night wear up to three times a night, and bedding. Blood suger was fair but the side affects were too much.

Related Reading: lantus | night sweats

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 10

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 10 weeks ago. Dr. put me on Lantus. I am taking 24 units each night (and Humulin in the a.m. if glucose is below 150 per dr.'s instructions). So far, I've only needed the Humlin four times. Lantus seems to do a nice job keeping my glucose levels under control. Occasional spikes and lows seem to be attributable to diet choices and exercise patterns. My only minor complaint is that my skin sometimes stings at the injection site, but this goes away within a few minutes. Since taking Lantus, I also sometimes experience significant sweating in my sleep - so much so that it drenches my shirt (although I cannot be sure this is attributable to Lantus, and not some other medications I began taking around the same time).

Comment from: rrwingert, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 31

I'm taking 100units every evening and bg still 240 or greater in am have been counting carbs and using novolog sliding scale with meals as well have had some sugars over 300. Just don't think this is working for me maybe need to go back to my old NPH doses

Related Reading: novolog

Comment from: lanyus junkie , 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 24

I have had prety good results with this med only negative is it burns when going in and can be painful at injection site for a hour or so..

Related Reading: burns

Comment from: TeresaJo, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 19

I am taking 50 units of Lantus and it is not helping control my sugar at all.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 05

Up to 25mg at night of Lantus, Plus 100mg Glucophage and 10 Glucatrol. No change in high (250+) sugar readings.

Related Reading: glucophage

Comment from: osusana, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 28

I had hypoglycemia nearly all my life which switched to Diabetes 2 when I reached menopause. I started on Metformin 500mg 4/X day. If I stick to an Atkins diet, I can control my BS but I'm addicted to sugar. My BS increased to 400-500 eating sweets and carbs and I started on Lantus. I'm now taking 40 units a.m. and 30 units p.m. I initially used the Pen but I had two of them jam up and I switched to the vial and syringe. PROS: None that I can think of. If I stick to low carb, BS in <150 but probably would be without the insulin. CONS: 1. I gained 15 pounds in 2 weeks after starting and I was losing weight at that time. 2. Water retention. 3. Intermittent chills without fever (I noticed this on another posting and didn't connect it). Increase in resting pulse by 20 points and I worry about congestive heart failure with the fluid retention and faster heart rate. No known heart disease at this point. POSSIBLE SYMPTOM RELATIONSHIP: Some difficulty passing urine. Intermittent anxiety. Joint pain. I'm also concerned about the cancer relationship study. The preservative, cresol, is a carcinogen.

Related Reading: diabetes | menopause | metformin

QUESTION

Diabetes is defined best as... See Answer
Comment from: okjoe, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 15

Diagnosed 2 year ago placed on Lantus/ Humalog 6 months ago. Some effect, dropping from "normal 380-500" range to fasting of 210-295. Very expensive for very little results. No assistance as I am on medicare.In donut hole, costs over $1000 a month. Not good for me. Will settle for old 380-500 range.

Related Reading: lantus | humalog

Comment from: Laverne Moody, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 04

Ihave been taking Lantus isulin pen injections for over a year,(10 units @ bedtime)with 2 tablets of glyburide each morning & my blood glucose has only been 200 twice & that was because I had eaten too much cake over the holidays.

Related Reading: glyburide

Comment from: steveh3226, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 17

Been Taking Lantus for almost 2 months now and still not regulating my Sugar started with 20 units Daily now up to 40 Units and sugar still fasting in the morning is well over 200 sometimes over 300

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 14

I've been on Lantus in conjunction with my humalog.  I take it at night.  It significantly aids me in controlling by blood sugar.  If there is a problem it's because I'm not controlling my diet.

Related Reading: humalog

Comment from: Bill K, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 26

Type two, I have used Lantus for two months, it's easy and it has dropped my level from 280 to 105 on average. I started out with 10u, settled on 32u with no problems.

Comment from: Lisa C, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 07

I was on Levemir since first being diagnosed in 2010 and was happy with it, then this year my insurance said they would not cover it any longer so switched to the Lantus. Every since I started my weight has steadily increased and weigh more now than I ever have even though I have cut back on eating badly and added more exercise. NOT happy with the results at all may look into getting back on the Levemir at least I wasn't gaining weight as much with it.

Related Reading: levemir

Comment from: confederate, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 04

I got up to 70 units twice a day with little results and stayed in a1c range of 12.3 got pissed threw stuff in trash blood levels droped almost 50 points at end of 3od day druggest gave me Humulin R it is a otc drug taught me how to use it have learned amount needed as to what I eat blood suger range is avg 118 must use a strip before eating anything so proper amount of insulin is used I was hard to learn fingers sore from using 5 to 15 samples a day to monitor blood sugar levels but worth the cost difference we figured about 650 amonth with lantus VS 80 with approx 3 viles of humulinR that is a savings of 7000 a year plus I feel better.

Related Reading: humulin r | lantus

Comment from: aprils410, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 10

I was on this med starting mid 2010 for a year and just again. The same thing is happening again. AM sugars down from 190 to 130 and PM sugars from 240 to 180 in just 4 days. Starting at 25 units and adding Victoza to see how that does. Had a good bit of nausea the first two days but its sibsiding already. Feeling fuller quicker when I eat and having to make myself eatg snacks and more at meal times since its curbed my appetite. Will review again after a month or so.

Related Reading: victoza

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 31

This medication has worked very well to control my blood sugar, but I gained 45 pounds in 8 months after starting it. Not very happy about that.