Lasix

Comment from: rod, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 24

I'm just starting to take furosemides for fluid rentention in my legs; consequently I have epedema to. What concerns me is the effectof Potassium loss while taking this medicine; however, I discovered that I can take a pill called Dandelion root, and is often used as a natural powerful diuretic without potassium loss. I am a firm believer of natural herbal remedies vs conventional medicine because they developed majorty of medcine from plants anyway. Don't get me wrong, I do consult with my doctor and pharmcy before taking herbal remedies, as you should to.

Comment from: Lasix User, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 19

The meds are easy to take and it does the job its intended to do. My only problem is that my doctor didnt tell me about the side effects. A couple of my co-workers noticed how fatigued and drained I was all the time. Thankfully I work with nurses and they were able to identify the problem right away. Lasix depletes your potassium which when it is low causes the fatigue but not only that, potassium is responsible for the electrical pulses which keeps the heart pumping. One nurse said if my potassium got too low my heart could stop. One of the other nurses gave me a banana (high in potassium) and one gave me a potassium pill. I felt better immediately (I wasnt signing up for marathons or anything-but I definitely noticed the difference). I have been eating bananas everyday since and I havent noticed that drained, I cant wake up feeling anymore.

Related Reading: lasix | fatigue

Comment from: able one, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 02

It's taken about 6 months to get my dosage right. I now take 80mg. 3 times a day and the swelling in my ankles and legs is gone. I lost a total of 50 pounds. My B.P. is down to 170/95 from 200/105 and now the doc is starting me on other BP meds for that.

Comment from: Debra S., 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 06

The Lasix 40 mg removed water quickly, very effectively. However, the next day I felt horrible. Late that night I took Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium minerals. Then I soaked my feet in Epsom salts(magnesium sulfate), and for the first time all day, I felt much better. Just read it can cause considerable loss of minerals - it did. I will use Dandelion next time - this drug is dangerous for me!

Related Reading: magnesium sulfate

Comment from: jcookie039, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 18

It did lessen the fluid retention, but it also caused a medical condition called "PRESSURE URTICARIA" otherwise known as "HIVES". Any pressure on any part of my body caused terrible redness, swelling and itching. For 8 months I suffered every day until the cause was found. This allergic reaction is very rare... less than 1% chance of occurance, and good doctors and pharmacists have no clue what's the cause. This condition should be listed on the drug's information sheet as a side effect.

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 27

I do need advice, this medication is not working for me. I still retain water so bad, I'm gaining weight rapidly from fluids I'm very worried. I take 2 20mg. every AM but it's not doing anything, please advice me what to do???

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 09

my swelling has gone done in my legs but the pain is still there.

Comment from: minpinmom, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 27

After taking Lasix for over a year, my ankles and legs stopped swelling but I developed several muscle spasms all over my body. Stopped taking the medication and after about 4 days, the swelling started again but the cramping has gone away. Going to ask my dr. if I could take the Lasix every other day, or every third day, etc. instead of every day. Has anyone else tried this?

Related Reading: muscle spasms

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 22

I was taking this drug to treat extreme foot/ankle swelling. It worked great. The only issue is the urgent trips to the bathroom for several hours after taking - you really have to plan your day! Also, I was taken off the drug because my body couldn't keep up with the potassium loss - it's very important you keep track of your potassium numbers. I have been switched to spironolactone (which adds potassium to your system). It doesn't work as well.

Related Reading: spironolactone

Comment from: curious, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 27

I have been on lasix,bumex both together for about two years but lately the effects did not produce any output hardly so I doubled up on the lasix because I couldnt get any results without it.And I would become so miserable is there any reason that its become innafective?

Related Reading: lasix | bumex

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 07

I have edema in my legs and ankles. I take lasix which worked for a while. It isn't working so well now. Why?

Related Reading: edema

Comment from: haziniya, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 28

All this medication does is make me go to the bathroom constantly, I still have alot of fluid retention.

Comment from: elf, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 31

I took this drug because my ankles and feet were swollen. I took one dose and was shocked by the time I awoke the next day my feet had gone down half way. I will continue to take it as I have Hypertension. Only drawback is the obvious frequent bathroom trips, but well worth being able to walk.

Comment from: bromurray, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 21

Even though I took potassium with the drug and followed all instructions, cramps in my legs and thighs was pure hell. They always happened 3-5 Am and were painful beyond belief. I stopped taking the drug and am waiting to see my family Dr.

Comment from: Vex8us1, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 03

Ever since my first pregnancy 20 years ago, I have suffered with edema (water retention). It is predominant during the hot summers in CA and I will wake up with swollen fingers and feet. Heck I can't even slide my feet into my flip flops!! It's really bad when I fly. This medicine when taken every other day had been most effective. But I will say that when you do take it, make sure that you are near a bathroom because you will start to pee VERY VERY quickly and often for about an hour to an hour and a half. Which for me is awesome because I know that the swelling will go down soon. I cannot live without it. Unless I'm living in the South Pole!!!

Related Reading: pregnancy

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 29

I've been taking this drug for about 3 weeks. Couldn't figure out why I felt so light headed and dizzy all the time until I read about the side effects. My feet and ankles are still swollen. This drug is not worth the side effects, especially since it isn't working. Called my doctor today--I want off this drug.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 06

When I take lasix I just go to bathroom all day long and i can hardly make it then yet my feet still are swelled some

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 27

The pill worked for removing the fluid in my ankles. The problem I had was that my hands started hurting. Then my thumb on my right hand started clicking and snapping. Then the ring finger on my left hand did the same thing. Some days it was other fingers. They took x-rays and the doctor said it was arthritis. I thought other wise. Had no problem before Lasix with my hands.I stopped the lasix on my own for three weeks and my fingers were fine .Then took one every other day and my fingers started up again. I stopped and my fingers are find now. I think the lasix took all the fluid out of my joints in my fingers. I'm going to call the doctor to see about some other kind of fluid pill.

Related Reading: arthritis | lasix

Comment from: Olderlady, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 08

Received a pacemaker and feet and ankles seem to swell more. Told to take 20 mg and potassium daily. You cannot leave home on this drug. And what is it doing to my kidneys?? Some swelling still there.

Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes See Slideshow
Published: December 20

The first couple days the drug worked. After five days I went off the drug. My hands a feet sweeled back up. Now I have swelling up to my knees. I am hoping to find something that will take all the swelling out of my hands and feet.

Comment from: mcbean29, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 21

I was given this med for water retention, but it caused severe bouts of gout and brusing, heavy bleeding from light scratches. I'm not very pleased with the outcome!!!

Related Reading: gout

Comment from: Sick of it, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 02

My 63 yr old father has been using this med for well over a year and to no avail. His legs and feet have gotten worse. To the point where they are seeping fluid. Many test have been run and his kidneys are not a problem. His feet look like they are about to burst open. This is a total waste of time.

Comment from: laura, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 12

I have only been using this medicine for a few days, but the visible fluid is gone from my legs and feet. Hands are still swollen some but not as bad. However, I can barely see straight. Everything is doubled and blurry. I'm exhausted, dizzy, and vomitting. Also, I'm starting to have muscle spasms in my arms and back. I'm not sure if it's even worth it. I think I'd rather deal with the fluid in my legs. I can barely function after starting this medicine. I will be calling my doctor soon.

Related Reading: muscle spasms

Comment from: boylit, 75 or over on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: August 06

we wonder if there is some side effect to high doses and if it can affect my kidney

Comment from: pj5012, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 10

I noticed relief of swollen ankles and feet within a few hours of starting this medication. It works great for me!