Levemir

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 19

Since I started taking this insulin, I have not felt the same at all. I first became very aggitated, and restless, sometimes staying up half the night into the early morning hours. Also had a fast heart rate. Then I noticed that I was having muscle weakness, feeling so tired that I could barely make myself stay awake. My Dr tells me that this is my bodies way of going through withdrawl...I have been going through withdrawl for 3 months now! I have never seen anyone go through anything like this after switching insulins before, and my whole family is diabetic! So am I crazy, or is he a quack? My A1C did drop from 8.7 to 6.9, but I keep having to up the dose of the insulins, and am bloated all the time. I am MISERABLE since Ihave been on this stuff! Is anyone else having these side affects?

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 25

I was on Lantus insulin for several years and taking a dose of 35 units a day. My blood sugar levels ran from 80 to 100. Now my provider has made me switch to Levemir and I'm currently taking 60 units a day with blood sugar levels never dropping below 200. I'm not sure what to do since I'm taking almost twice as much and still having extremely high numbers.

Related Reading: lantus | levemir

Comment from: musquiz, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 07

Was put on this insulin by my provider to cut costs. A1C went from 7.25 to 9.7 in 3 months. I increased dose weekly cause my sugars stayed high all the time. I increased dosage from 36 units to 75 units and still had problems with blood sugar. It took about 9 months before I was able to go back to lantus. I'm back down to 39 units. I had no kidney problems before levemir and now have trace protein in my urine with blood. Prior to this I've been very fortunate with no problems for 50 years of insulin dependance. High blood sugar does kill.

Related Reading: lantus | levemir

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 22

morning fasting sugar my sugars on lantus @68 units was 90-120 my sugar on levemir @68 units is over 180-200. Stopped lantus because it hurt so much after the injection and I always bled levemir does not hurt and only occasional bleeding after. I called levemir and they said no one has complained about the high sugars before. they obviously dont read internet about their products. I have a call in now to my GP

Comment from: lizandskysmommy, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 02

its the only long acting insulin my insurance will cover and it does not work for me...no matter how much i take my blood sugar will not go below 200.i use a very fast acting insulin as well

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 10

i tried this after using lantus for years. lantus was peaking hard for me after a few hours. this med did not lower my sugars hardly at all. i went from 25 to near 50 units without decent results. i only take 25 of lantus. been diabetic for 25 years.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 28

I have been using Levimir for over a week now and my blood sugars are higher than ever. It doesn't seem to be working.

Comment from: Saphyre Star, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 18

My sugars are all over the place from 95 up to 540. Can't stand the burning and the red lumps and itching at injection site. There is a discount card that Levemir and lantus gives you. Also, I switched to Target instead of Walmart. Walmart did not know how to use the discount card and argued with me. The discount card is used after your co pay and saves alot of money.

Comment from: rich, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 02

since starting levemir i feel iritable i have severe hip pain and now feels like its traversing down into my knee generally feel weak ,insonomia, feel tired , dont feel like excercising because of the pain, i usually excercise 1 to 2 hrs a day glucose levels are sky rocketing unable to controll are now above 200 constantly.i'am now taking 50 unit 2x a day got a call into the doc for help didnt have any of these side effects on nph. i took lantus for a while it worked ok but lost my insurance.

Related Reading: hip pain

Comment from: Curtis, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 07

Been using for 3 years.Works pretty good for me,still have to watch what I eat and get some exercise or levels will go up.Like that its long lasting only one shot a day.I would have to take two shots with another insulin.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 30

Have been on insulin since 1991. 61 year old male. Use R insulin as bolus and Lantus 100 units at bedtime as basal. Worked well. Insuror would not pay for Lantus so switched to Levemir. Might as well be injecting water. No apparent effectiveness. Trying to control with R, but does not work well.

Related Reading: lantus | levemir

Comment from: Sabra, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 03

I've been a type 2 diabetic for 8 years now and I've never been controlled. I started out on Metformin and then they added Glipizide 4 months ago. After my last A1C I started talking to my Dc about other alternatives. She had samples of Leveimir and in the 3 weeks I've been on it my sugars have dropped from 348 average down to 130. I'm not sleepy all the time. I've been watching what I eat and excising too. With just using Metformin it didn't seem to matter I would watch what I eat and workout some and it would rarely go below 200. So I just gave up and started eating what I wanted and didn't check my sugars. FOR ONCE I'm on track. I do have to go talk to the Dr about the rash that's developed on my arm. I've only noticed it for the past week. Not sure if it's a side effect or an allergic reaction.

Related Reading: metformin | glipizide | rash

Comment from: Frank, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 03

Have used both Levemir and Lantus. I find no difference in effectiveness. I take 15 units once a day and Humalog at each meal 3-5 units. Also take 2000 mg of metformin. HbA1c stable at around 7.2. Normally in the 100 to 200 range. Only over 200 if I eat a big meal or large snack. No problems with going too low. Works good for me.

Related Reading: humalog | metformin

Comment from: Alphadog, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 19

I switched from Lantus 2 years ago because of painful injection at the site. I have had the best experience by taking 20u in AM and 20u PM. as long as I DON'T EAT High carb food within 2 hrs of sleeoing (that bedtime bowl of cereal had to go) I consistantly wake up with an 80 to 100 count. My A1C has also maintained 6.7 to 6.9. Very happy with product.

Comment from: SPinHP, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 10

I've steadily gone up from 10 units to 60. 60 doesn't even work! My morning readings are 350 with this and 250 when I don't take it! Somebody please explain that! My A1c went from 7.1 to almost 11. THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!

Comment from: latonia, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 16

very good experience.it is the only one that has really kept my sugar under control.i just trying to find out is there a program that help gets this levemir when you don't have any medical coverage.

Related Reading: levemir

Comment from: tower of power, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 24

been using for a month now and it is keeping my glucose readins below 110 . Hve to ralelky take any fast acting insulun

Comment from: wald2989, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 23

Have found the pen easy to use, though the injections are painful about 50% of the time. I've found that I bleed at the injection site as often as not.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 13

sugar still way too high. also on oral meds now taking 60cc 2x a day.

QUESTION

Diabetes is defined best as... See Answer
Comment from: tex, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 01

My wife has been on Levemir for about 3 years.20 units at 8:pm & 23 units at 8:am. blood sugar 80 to 120 depending on exercise and calories.

Related Reading: levemir

Comment from: tideflash, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 24

I have been using levimer for 8 months. I also use glimiperide and metformin pills. When I went on Levimer my blood sugar readings were as high as 390. Now they range from 114 average and as low as 85 if I have a very small meal in the evening. My weight has only fluctuated a few pounds. The injections using a needle and vial are usually okay but rarely will hurt if I inject into a harder muscular area of my stomach. I experience a little bleeding about 1 out of 5 injections.

Related Reading: metformin

Comment from: natasha, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

after the first week, started experiencing allergy: bright-read spots, fading in a day from other skin areas, but not going away at the site of injection. Itching all over. Sleep interruption. Heat intolerance. High Glucoze readings. Diarrea almost daily.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 30

since Istarted this my hair is falling out and it is hard to control my BS.I'm on 2 oral meds also.

Comment from: sonny, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 24

On lantus before. Budget cuts put me on this insulin for 3 months now. A1C over three months went from 5.9 to 9.7. From 38 units of lantus to 86 and rising with levemir. Still can't control blood sugars.

Related Reading: lantus | levemir

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 08

I use Levemir in conjunction with fast-acting insulin Novolin. The combination keeps my A1c around 7.0 when I eat decently. The pen set is easy to use. There low cost pen needles for sale online.