Levothroid

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 04

The only problem I have had with this drug is that lots of my hair is falling out.

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 29

I have still continued being fatigued, cold, and many mood swings. My blood pressure has been high since using this medication and was just advised by my doctor to discontinue using this medication. I have only been on it for one and a half months and already seeing problems. My days very from being on a 'high' to being very 'low.' my high days go from three am when I wake up til nine at night when I go to sleep. My low days i have to encourage myself to get out of bed to go to work, and then they drag on til three pm at the latest. At that time I am so exhausted and wore out i dont even have the ambition to even shower before retiring to my bed. I also have Restless Leg Syndome and on my low days I have a lot of problems with my restless leg. This medication was very hard to work into my busy schedule also. I was taking it in the very morning when i woke up and could not eat until six am on my first break. Cutting dairy out of my morning breakfast was a big issue for me. Overall I am pretty unsatisfied with this drug and hope to start using a new one within the next month or so.

Comment from: Erica_kay25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 02

My whole life I suffered from always being cold, thin hair, brittle nails, etc all signs of under-active thyroid. In 2000, at 17yrs old I was diagnosed. Since taking this medicine my hair has become so much prettier and thicker. I don't have brittle nails and I don't suffer from being cold as much as I used(example: being outside at 17yrs old it's about 95 degrees and I'm walking about in jeans and sweatshirt but I'm comfortable while everyone else is in tanks and shorts sweating from the heat.) My depression I battle with is nothing like it was before my TSH levels became normal with taking Synthroid. Before taking Synthroid I did have a large weight gain and once my levels reached the 'normal' correct levels for my body I lost the extra weight with very little exercise(walking 2-4 miles 3 days a week) So my overall experience with Synthroid has been good although I am young to have this issue and will have to continue to take Synthroid for the rest of my days to help maintain my health. I'll admit getting my blood work done on a regular basis isn't always the greatest, but a requirement when treating Thyroid Disease.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 16

Levothroid can be a bit difficult. My doc cant seem to find the right dose- when he gave me too much I was full of energy, kinda shaky, and losing my hair. Now that my dose has been lowered I am more tired. However, it hs definitely helped me lose weight, which is a good thing.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 05

I have always been thin, but starting two years ago I started to slowly put on weight. I thought it was because I was getting older, but then the other symptoms starte. My Dr. checked my Thyroid all the time and I guessed it never showed, but the syptoms were so bad he thought it was MS. I had the worst headake that lasted for two mo to begin with, I was walking into walls, falling down, lossing movment in my limbs, forgetting things (like who I was, what I was doing, what I was going to say, how to talk/ spell), I couldnt get out of bed somedays, I was in the hospitial everyother week, my brain would just shut down on me, I would get tremors, twiches, and a few other mental things. Bottom line its a pain to wake up early to take and the fact you cant take your other meds tell 4 hours later is hard, but its worth it! This is the first time in 2 years I have felt normal and no more talks about MS, thank you GOD!!

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 16

When dose increased to 50 MCG(.05MG) extreme hair loss, oily hair, bloating of face, hives, swelling ankles, insomnia.

Comment from: anna55-64on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: September 01

The blood sugar levels went up,why?

Comment from: Crickey35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: November 13

Since I have been on this I have had uncontrolable sweating. Cold sweats all day and at night I have a hard time sleeping or getting comfortale because of the sweats. I can be doing nothing and I break out into a major sweat then I get cold.

Comment from: MsNana55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: April 03

Through research of my own, I have found I can't use horseradish, soy, black and green tea or fluoride toothpaste. I have never been told by a doctor or pharmacist that I should not use these things,which I don't understand, but the medication works much better without them.

Comment from: Linda55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: May 09

The only hard part was remembering to take it on an empty stomach.

Comment from: dj198045-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 15

no problems with it unless I dont take t as presribed, (on an empty stomach and with a full glass of water atleast 1/2 hr before food

Comment from: rdupgoats45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 05

in the first year it worked very well for me. now the hair loss is back as well as the wieght gain, the blood work is coming back normal but i eat less than my 2year old.

Comment from: Judy55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 24

Still have a lapse in energy levels. Had thyroidectomy(partial) in 1982. Was hyper with hashimoto thyroiditis and graves disease. Extremely under weight and anxious with insomnia. Now over weight,Extremely and don'r seem to be able to get it under control.

Comment from: LindaGreff55-64on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: June 15

I'm on the brandname - Synthroid, and the lowest dose possible. The only thing this medicine has done is change my T4 level -- no effect on lethargy, bradycardia (low heart rate), nails, hair, or dry skin. Also, I gained seven pounds when I started the med; doctor and pharmacist claimed water weight, but I can't lose it. But since my numbers are good, the doctor says it is working, won't change the dose. HA. I think that's a false positive result, only changing the T4 with no other discernible results.

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: April 18

I have taken some form of thyroid since 1958. This one works well for me.

Comment from: Sherwood35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 12

Overall I think I have more energy. I have only been on it for 3 months and I went from 25 to 50mcg. I do still have days where I have no energy and I wake up almost everyday feeling like I'm swollen. Especially my hands and face. That stinks being I had already gained 15 pounds before I realized I was not just "being lazy" and something was really wrong with me. Hard for a person that is very motivated and responsible. I will continue to take it and see how it goes.

Comment from: brenda55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 18

I feel hungry all the time

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 16

Taking 75-100mcg alternating days for one year and I have noticed no change at all in my energy levels and continue not to be able to lose any weight. Can't take any diet products or supplements so I think levothroid pretty much sucks!

Comment from: smarix135-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 08

I have been on the meds for 8 yrs now and the doctor still cant figure out how much to give me. My body was placed out of whack when I had my daughter. We started with the lowest to the highest for 6 month each and none of them seems to help. I still have fatigue, always cold, water retention, headaches. Then of course I also get insomina so that just adds more to my daily fatiuge, I have had to take sleeping pills to get me thru the night, but then I wake up with headaches in the morning that lad on till about noon. My next doctors visit is next month so we'll see what is next.

Comment from: duramom45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 06

It has worked for me the best I ghad my throid removed in 1989 and was in the study for throid antibodys and this levotroid has always made me feel the best!!

Comment from: MaryEllenKelly55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 21

It was the best Thyroid Medication I've ever taken with no side effects! I felt energetic and healthy all the years I was taking it. Then all of a sudden my Pharmacy said it was taken off the market and I've been ill ever since. How can I get this medication again? I have tried other Thyroid Meds and they make me feel sick and bloated and weak all the time!

Comment from: gibson35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 30

this medication works for me

Comment from: JWMedson Treatment for 5-10 years Published: August 16

I have been taking a very low dose for the past few years. Have also skipped this medication and have not had any adverse side affects. I would like to discontinue medication and try a natural remedy of some kind.

Comment from: rojo196835-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 18

It just seems ot be taking too long to figure out the right dosage and now I have high cholesterol too..

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 06

I have excess sweating and hair loss.

QUESTION

Where is the thyroid gland located? See Answer
Comment from: Jayb6645-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 05

My doctor has not monitored my meds since she put me on it in 2008. Since then I HAVE major mood swings, suffer from depression, gained 30 pounds, my seborrheic dermatitis has gotten worse, and I have zero energy. Either I need a new doctor or a better medication. I also suffer from high cholesterol and chronic kidney disease.

Comment from: Torrance Mom45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 16

My doctor told me when we get the dosage correct, it will help me lose weight. So far...no luck! But it did get rid of my goiter and give me a little more energy. I'm hoping we'll adjust to a higher dose after my next round of testing. I also wish my doctor would have found the problem 15 years ago when I first started to gain weight for no reason.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 01

I have been taking this drug for three weeks. I can't say that it is or isn't working for me because it has only been three weeks. I have the same appetite, same energy, and the same mental attitude.

Published: May 19

i noticed within a 2 week period of time of starting this medication all the water that i intook did not taste right

Comment from: MsGlitzz65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 04

I took it for one month - felt great. Missed the 2nd month didn't have the money. Started up again and now I'm still tired ALL the time.

Comment from: 55-64 Published: November 27

Comment from: redruth65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 12

Has helped me amintain a better quality of life with out the drops of blood sugar at unexpected times.

Comment from: judimcrosby65-71on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 20

NO SATISFACTION

Comment from: maxiemax5565-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: June 16

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 19

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 19

I have been on this drug for about 45 days. I have noticed a constant, very bitter taste in my mouth. It becomes more pronouced when I eat or drink. I have also noticed an increase in tearing.

Comment from: lkbatso55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 25

Comment from: Mom47335-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 25

I've been on it for about two weeks or so. My engery levels very from day to day. Today, I took my meds on my drive to work, I get to work and I have coffee, today I had a 1/2 of banana, couple of spoons of oat meal and berries. Feelins very nauseous and just sick. Called the nurse and she couldn't tell me why I felt that way. Anyone have this happen?

Comment from: pizell55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: May 08

I have had open heart surgery 5 years ago. Since taking this medication I have recently been experiencing chest pain, excessive sweating, elevated blood pressure, sudden drops in sugar level and most recently swelling, redness and heat of the face. I have been on this med for a year.

Comment from: Audrey65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 30

Comment from: 65-71 Published: August 13

Doctor prescribed because my thyroid level was high

Comment from: levothroid oral45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 06

Published: April 11

no effect

Comment from: shesapeach45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 26

Comment from: Rednic55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 22

I had my overactive thyroid nuked in 1990 & have taken thyroid replacement 19 yrs.No problems at all, except not taking it with other drugs. Since I'm older, of course losing weight is harder.

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 31

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 03

Comment from: Lord Help Me55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 12

I'm 55yo male been on Levothyroxine for 3 years and still get hot flashes and sweating. Tired excessively once a week but not sure if its the meds I'm taking that's causing the tiredness or just age. Not really sure I see a difference on it or off it but until it causes major side effects I will continue it. On 0.1mg and now with a cholesterol medicine I've started we will see. If I get tired more than no more Cholesterol meds. Cholesterol at 200 without meds but that was before I did the diet I'm on now and in two more months we will see how good the diet is working. 1 lb a week is good

Comment from: 75 or overon Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 31

Comment from: btxgxqon Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 07

Comment from: ibgrannyof855-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 08

Has anyone ever heard that if oyu do not take or stop taking your thyroid medicine you can die? I have never heard of this and someone told me about this.

Comment from: Mark B45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: May 31

I would like to know what herbs that may cause interactions with this drug.

Comment from: Bee35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 27

Even after increasing mg of medication I still have found no improvement with weight loss and energy level.

Comment from: MG45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: August 14

Treatment for hashimoto's. Increased over five year from 50 mcg. Now 88 is too low and 100 too high so alterating doses. Would like a 6 mcg dose available for taking with standard doses for the in between need of smaller patients, I only weigh 118 lb.

Comment from: jackie45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 07

i am taking levothroid 88mg after my left side of thyroid was removed my hair is falling out what kind of vitamins would help

Comment from: mrwisemike45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: May 01

about half of the side effects you list I have.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 04

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 04

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 03

Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment See Slideshow

This drug is awesome. I love drugs.

Comment from: bluepacifica55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 06

Forest Labs that had made Levothroid, is now using Thyro-Tabs manufactured by Lloyd Pharmaceuticals. Forest bought the rights and it is used in place of the original Levothroid. It is not the same as the original.

Comment from: Mike 35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 01

my cholest and tryg shot up cuz the doc couldnt figure out the right doze so to all the beginers make sure to remind your doc to test you every 5-6 weeks for your lipids and right dozage of levoth good luck

Comment from: 75 or overon Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 19