Levoxyl

Comment from: TeacherGirl, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 02

I am 26 years old. A year ago I was diagnosed with sub-clinical hypothyroidism, so we began treatment. I started with 25 mcg, moved to 50, 62.5 and am now on 75mcg. I like the tablets because they are easy to split (hence the 62.5) and the different dosage levels are different colors. That way when I increase my dose, I don't get the tablets confused. I've read some reviews with people who say they haven't had any effects or say they started sweating. In the first case, the individual likely needed a higher dose. In the later, the individual was likely on a bit too much. Some people are more sensitive to changes in thyroid supplements than others. I know I am. I am also diagnosed with anxiety, which makes me all the more prone to feeling more nervous etc when the thyroid medication is a bit too high. Although I may be able to feel the negative side effects of increasing my dose rather quickly, the positive ones seem to be much slower. Which makes sense, since you have to wait 6 - 12 weeks before blood tests will reflect a difference in TSH/T3 levels. Also, the fact that I've had to up the dose doesn't mean it hasn't worked, it means my thyroid is still degenerating (not producing enough T3). It's not meant to stop the problem, it's meant to counteract the negative effects. Hope this helps everyone.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism | anxiety

Comment from: Dianne, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 24

After 4 years on synthroid, I was put on Levoxyl. Hair loss, weight gain, anxiety attacks, indigestion, increasing breathing difficulties, and loss of sleep. Does anyone else have these problems that seem to be connected to changing to Levoxyl?

Related Reading: synthroid | levoxyl | hair loss

Comment from: denam, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 18

This medication has changed my life.Before I would have mood swings and have a feeling of depression. Everything seemed to be in a fog, thinking and memory.The leg cramps would have me in tears. Now I have energy. No leg cramps. Thinking and reading is clear.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 20

Does anyone suffer from sweating? I had been using 35 mcg and now I am on 50 mcg. I didn't put it together until recently but I am having sweating, especially my face and I think it is due to the increase in the meds. Does anyone else have this?

Comment from: jumping gamma, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 16

ever since i started taking levoxyl my weight goes way up then down , i guess it is okay but very frustrating. nothing in my routine has changed neither has the food I eat, other than I eat smaller portions and still gain weight. has anyone else had this happening to them, I talked to my doctor and she says it is not the thyroid problem I am eatting too much. I eat less than my 5 year old grandson. I do not eat snacks and I drink alot of water. I wish someone else could tell me if they have this same problem and if they found a way to change this, I have gained 55 lbs in the last 6 months, if you have had this problem and found away to lessen this please let me know.

Related Reading: levoxyl

Comment from: JenH, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid over 15 years ago and have been on Levoxyl ever since. I didn't know what was wrong with me - very tired, headaches, always very cold and a lot of weight gain. Once on the medication, felt much improvement - have to have blood work done 4-6 months to regulate dosage. If you are taking too much it can cause hair loss. Also, Hyprothyrodisim is an auto-immune disease. If you have one auto-immune disease, you can have others. Alopecia (hair loss) is also an auto-immune disease. It runs in my family. I also have Type 1 diabetes along with several other auto-immune diseases. So if you are experiencing problems like hair loss, have your doctor do a blood test to make sure you are on the right dosage or it could be some other reason. A few years ago, my insurance company tried to switch me to a generic with horrible results. I broke out in a rash, very tired and hair loss. My doctor nows writes, do not substitute on the prescription.

Related Reading: hair loss | type 1 diabetes

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 29

Levoxyl was and is the only medicine my body can tolerate and Pfizer once again took it off the shelf!! It's been 9months without Levoxyl for me. My life as many others struggling without has become full of hopelessness,darkness,total lack of quality. Pfizer has blood on their hands for the ones that couldn't keep going. Unbelievable this can and has happened. Continuing for more than a yr. without much concern about our lives. FDA has also allowed this. The recall should have been rectified/corrected within a month. Pfizer has certainly shown lack of concern and any sense urgency!!!!

Comment from: cajungage, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 26

At 45 I was diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism (TSH-56) in 6/2007. started on 88mcg. Got better, than bad again. Today I'm up to 125mcg's. I too have continued to gain weight. >30lbs. That's even with dieting. I still have zero energy, and many of hypothyroid symptoms. I feel like just giving up.

Comment from: Willowtree, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had my thyroid taken out about 8 years ago. My Dr has not been able to keep my my thyroid leveled. I have been taking levoxyl since and recently had to have my doseage lowered twice. I am tired of all the mood swings, depression, poor appetite, weight gain, can't sleep, and hair loss. I am wondering if I can't take the synthetic drug and have to take the name brand Synthroid.

Related Reading: levoxyl | depression | hair loss

Comment from: Debora, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 17

I'm 60 and I have been on this medication for about a year. Before I started taking it I felt anxious and a feeling of loosing control. Since then I have fewer bouts of anxiety. I'm on .75mcg. I don't have the leg cramps I used to either. I'm over weight and I think I've gained about 10 lbs. The Doctor I'm seeing got me up to .85mcg. I felt really good then. My blood test results indicated that I needed to reduce the dosage. Now I don't feel quite as good but still better than before. I hope this helps at lease one person. All your comments have helped me understand more about my disease and that I'm not alone in my feelings, physical and mental.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 26

The only hassle is waiting an hour to eat breakfast after I take my meds.

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 15

Caused occular migraines and visual distortions (non-psychotic). switched to synthroid and these side effects from levoxyl dissapear.

Related Reading: synthroid

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 15

i Have been taking this drug for about 9 years and I have never had issues with it. It actually seemed to help me lose the excess weight i gained before getting my thyroid under control. I have never had any issues with it. I would highly recommened this drug because the transition into it for me was no problem at all.

Comment from: Janet, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

I simply dont know if its working im still tired worn out and get pains down my neck

Comment from: sheltie mom, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 18

I had taken this for over 15 years..had excellent results..it was pulled from the market because of unstable shelf life..now taking Generic Levothyroxine and having horrible results..I have long hair way past my waist..it has always grown fast and I have always had compliments on it..in the 2 months that I have been on this generic, I am loosing tons of hair in my brush and have resorted to taking suppliments to counteract it..I am now having headaches, dry skin and fatigue..I didn't experience any of this on Levoxyl...very disappointed that it is not available anymore...

Related Reading: levothyroxine | dry skin | fatigue

Comment from: Michelle, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 13

Unable to find Levoxyl at any paharmacy! What is everyone doing now that this drug has been removed from the market? Generic is very different, had many negative side effects. Express Scripts says will be back 2014, doesn't help the patient that has been on this drug for years!!

Related Reading: levoxyl

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 11

Ihave more energy than I use too! I still get neck cramps, I think my weight has stayed the same. It does not make my heart race like other thyriod rx's, I do not have so many mood changes

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 27

I have been on Levoxyl for the past 10 years after having been diagnosed with Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism) I have never had any major difficulty with the RX, after many blood tests and the balancing act of trying different levels .112 level works best for me. I am 45 and weigh 120lbs at 5'4 and no longer 98 lbs due to the Hyperthyroidism. After leaving one Dr and having to find another I was off of my Rx for 3 months I became severely hypo, gained 45 lbs had vision problems my eyes had literally swelled shut with fluid my current Dr gave me 200mcg for 30 days at which time I urinated many many times a day the excess water retention which was the weight I was carrying at the time was literally flushed out of my system. I am thankful everyday for not only this Rx but for a great Endocrinoligist. She literally saved my life.

Related Reading: levoxyl | hyperthyroidism

Comment from: Jlsec2004, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 30

I was just placed on this medication last month. I was feeling so bad for so long. I saw the endocronologist who said my thyroid level was at 1000!! VERY bad! She put me on this medication at 25 mi per day. I set my phone alarm for 5 am. get up, take the pill, and then go back to sleep until its time to get the kids up for school. By the time all is said and done, the appropriate amt of time has passed and I am able to eat breakfast with the little ones who stay home with me. I have not noticed anymore hair falling out, which is a problem I was having prior to the meds. I go to the gym every single day and have lost 16 lbs since December 1st. I watch what I eat, I exercise (cardio) and lift weights daily, plus I get out more with my kids to the park. Before this, I did NOTHING! I do notice that I feel a little achy in the mornings. Its a little harder to get out of bed and get myself going. I still feel tired in the mornings, like I havent quite rested enough, so Im hoping that gets better. Overall, I havent experienced any bad side affects so far. God willing, it helps and does its job and my goiter shrinks and it relieves the symptoms of the Hashimotos disease I was diagnosed with. I finally had an explanation as to why, even when I was thin, I sweat like I ran a marathon no matter what I was doing! lol

Comment from: 'BonBon, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 15

This Brand seems to work better for me than the levorthyroxine generics. I take this with Cytomel which has really helped me with my achiness and other symptoms that levorthyroxine did not help.

Related Reading: cytomel

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 27

I have just read through most of the comments from users of this drug. I have been taking Levoxyl for about 3 years. I too have been having terrible hair loss, night sweats, cramping & pain in the back of my neck and feel tired. I did not relate these symptoms to my use of this drug until I read it here. Not sure what I will do, but talk with my doctor about changing to another drug...if there is one out there with out so many side effects. Thank you for the information you posted.

Related Reading: hair loss | night sweats

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 14

I also noticed my hair falling out. Does anyone know if this will go away, or if it is going to keep falling out?

Comment from: None, really, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 06

I had fatigue & the foggy thinking which went away completely. I have continued to gain weight however. The only thing I don't like about drug is slight inconvenience of waiting to eat and taking vitamins and BP meds after 4 hours. After 7 years on meds, I'm very happy.

Related Reading: fatigue | vitamins

Comment from: Katy, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 19

Severe diahrea started just 24 hrs after taking this drug. Stomach cramping, loss of appetite started within 3 days. On the plus side my hair became less brittle. My doctor has taken me off the medicine after 6 days.

Comment from: Jimbo, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 11

I'm 60 years old anv have been using it effectively for 3 years with no side effects.

FDA Logo