Levsin

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 30

The stomach problems I have been having were really starting to affect daily life, this medicine has worked wonders, I have not felt this good as far as gastrically in 7 years!

Comment from: chromewoman, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 06

The doctors told me I had IBS, no such thing. I have gluten intolerance. Get tested for gluten intolerance. I have improved 200 %. Taking this drug and changing my diet. When docs can't figure out what is wrong-they label you with IBS. A change in your diet is critical and will help the people that can't take this drug. You will get your life back.

Comment from: juliadream, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 04

levsin is heaven for my stomach, ive had irritable bowel syndrome for years and just dealt with it, i finally get the guts (haha) to ask the doc what i can do and its a miracle drug my stomach pain goes away in minutes.. but my mouth is soooooooooooooo dry. and i hope the pharmacist never stops carrying it ill just cry

Related Reading: levsin | irritable bowel syndrome

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 21

So i have IBS and will get really sick if i eat too much fat. I pretty much was just eating rice and bread and veggies when the doctor told me about this. I call them magic pills. It is very important for me at least that you take them BEFORE (or with food, or even a bit after, but not too much at all) you eat. It makes a huge diffrence, it can PREVENT the spasms. After finding these I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I took enough pills, but be careful, becuase you will dry up if you take too many. So now after 1 yr on the pills, they don't seem to work as well, and then theyll work better, and then not so well again, but still the best thing around.

Comment from: vvictory1, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 14

I have IBS and this is the first medicine that has relieved the intense cramping. I have found that using a heating pad along with the medication brings quicker relief. The only drawback is that the Levsin tends to make me a bit sleepy.

Related Reading: levsin

Comment from: Jenkimfl, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 23

Levsin really worked for me and I felt the best I have felt in a long time while taking it. However they are no longer making it from what I am being told. Now my problems are back and I feel like crap again. Has anyone found a replacement for this drug? If so please advise, many thanks in advance!

Comment from: zdq18, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 16

This medicine is very easy to take, because it can be placed under your tongue. Although, the few times that I took Levsin it made me feel very strange. I had dizziness, blurred vision, slurred speech, and a very fast heartrate. There is absolutely no way that I could take this medicine and function enough to drive or work. The effects were scary enough that I will never take this again.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: milkdeposit, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 15

I see people here think it's no longer available. I get it now- Hyoscyamine- generic for levsin. It works very good. But I do get headaches from it.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 30

Have taken Hyomax (sp) for several years and it has worked well. Usually one dose of two pills under the tongue and I'm done. Have doubled the dose on occasion when needed. I chew gum afterwards and the drug works quickly. My attacks usually occur when I get overheated but I've never noticed any side effects.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 29

When I first got diagnosed with IBS back in 1997, the doctor gave me Levsin. All it did was make me drowsy and cause me to lose my appetite and I'm pretty sure it made my condition worse at the time. They then switched me to Donnatal and it was the same, so I no longer take anything for it and my attacks are less frequent. I just avoid the foods that make me sick.

Related Reading: donnatal

Comment from: Buddha, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 15

I've been on Levsin(Hyoscyamine)for 14 yrs now and it has always been hit and miss. I will even double up on the pills at certain times, still hit and miss. Still have to live on Immodium tablets just so I can work every day. No side effects and sometimes not even sure if it's working or I'm having a good day. Am now unable to locate it, several pharmacies that I use say they can not get it anymore so they use Hyomax which seems to be inferior as well. Tired of the pain and other issues, have passed out from the pain several times and have had to frequent the ER needing rehydration due to my IBS. Very embarrassing disability, have almost lost 2 jobs due to it.

Related Reading: levsin

Comment from: coby45, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 22

It works, but the timing of peak effectiveness is brief and unpredictable, while the side effects prevent increasing the dose.

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 09

It provided a measured reduction of my abdominal pain, which at first was a great relief. However, my bad days were still bad. It significantly impaired my cognitive abilities. I was in college and began to discontinue taking it just before tests, preferring pain to a poor grade. Within two years I discontinued it all together. The reduced pain came at too high of a cost.

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 17

My doctor prescribed this medicine for my IBS to relieve my stomach pain It worked really well for a few months but has stopped working now. I felt great when I first started using it but now i get severe cramping at least once day.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 19

stops the spasms in seconds

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 15

my newborn had really bad colic, his doctor put him on levsin, instantly he was better, he could sleep (and so could i !) if your baby has colic talk to your doctor about this medication, it works!

Related Reading: levsin

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 27

This medication was given to me to treat abdominal pain from gall stones....I have Lupus SLE, Dibetes, Gall stones, Hep-C (mild) fibromyligia and verious other conditions...I have never been allergic to any medications...this made me hyper, mood swings, irritable, depressed, paranoid, and I had irrigular heart beats...I went to the ER and they gave me something to counter act this reaction....I will never take this medication again...

Related Reading: lupus

Comment from: MLD25, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 03

It made my mouth a little dry, but it took away my stomach discomfort within 1-2 minutes of taking it.

Published: April 17

I got this medicine for my infant with colic. Our pediatrician told us the child would grow out of the stomach pains. My child was in severe pain. A family medicine doctor prescribed this for him and it made all his pains go away almost immediately! IT IS WONDERFUL! Don't let your child suffer through colic without trying this first!

Comment from: mgreenagm, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 14

have to stop taking sometimes due to constipation

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 03

I had IBS after a colon resection. Levsin almost immediately removed the symptoms with no side affects whatsoever. Only problem is that Medicare won't pay for it for seniors.

Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions See Slideshow
Comment from: mystic5001, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 24

Does not relieve the severe cramping from IBS-C quick enough. Usually have to pair this with 2 to 4 mgs Xanax and at least 2 Tylenol when I have the IBS attacks.

Related Reading: xanax | tylenol

Comment from: sosamantx, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 12

i've was taking hyoscyamine (.125 - minor cramping, .375 to try and cover all day), as well. - my pharmicist changed my medication to hyomax (it's listed on this site), as it's supposed to be an equivalant, however i don't think it works the same??

Comment from: Selah, 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 30

Hoarseness, dry mouth.

Related Reading: hoarseness | dry mouth

Comment from: ntobear3y, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 20

This medicine worked great for me over the last couple of yrs. I've been taking it , then all of a sudden the pharmacy doesn't carry it anymore.Some manufactures don't make any more was the excuse I got. Now I'm in alot of pain. It took about a month of not taking anything to get totally sick again. This kind of uncomfortable feelings and pain are keeping me from my daily work. The doctor hasn't found anything yet to help me because of other health issues. If anyone has any info please contact me at [email protected]