Levsin SL

Comment from: feeelzbetr, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 10

As a result of a car accident (& pending law enforcement issues), I ended up spending a month in the county's jail. A couple of days after I got out, I started having terrible diarrhea, stomach/bowel pains/cramps. This is more than I had ever experienced.I was farting/passing gas almost all day/night.It started to get a little bit more than funny (the farting part, lol).I finally couldn't stand the pain anymore;Having kidney stones in the past, the pain shot through from my side/back area to the front of me.I went to the urgent care, & thought it was kidney stones at first. They did a CT & checked my urine for blood. Nope it wasn't that;I ended up getting diagnosed with "Enteritis". Come to find out this is something that a person can certainly get while being in an institution, such as a hospital, and or jail (any type of closed community), because it comes from drinking or eating food that was/had been contaminated from bacteria or a virus. So this is an infection of the small intestine. I left the urgent care and they gave me this stuff to drink that they said would "numb" my stomach all the way through my small/large intestines. But after the blood tests came back I also got two scripts to get filled, one for an antibiotic called Flagyl 250mg and this one, Levsin. For the person that was worried because of their insurance not paying for it and worrying even more because it may not be available as generic, don't worry, it has a generic and has been for many years, generically it's called "Hyoscyamine". Now the thing that I was worried about it that terrile pain coming back & what will I do. My doctor told me not to worry because after I dissolve 1 or 2 of those tablets under my tongue, within 5-15 minutes, the pain will subside. Well, he was right.Shortly after getting the script filled I started to get another attack (cramping pain/ect). I no sooner took two of these and ALL was good! As for neg.side affects, mild dehydration, that's it,EXCELLENT MED!

Related Reading: diarrhea | kidney stones | flagyl

Comment from: bluecrab, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 27

Works super great for cramps and abdominal pain - works within minutes. I stay alert for any sign of further problems and will take a Bentyl ( which works for several hours), this will almost always take care of all abdominal problems like pain & cramps, for days to weeks or until I have another flair. I am so thankful for this, abdominal problems interfere with my life. It also helps with nausea.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | bentyl

Comment from: Selah, 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 02

I take levsin by mouth for IBS -- I also use it under the tongue for relief from esophagus/hiatal hernia problems. It works when nothing else does.

Related Reading: levsin | hernia

Comment from: dizfran, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 09

I really depend on this medication. If I didn't take it, I couldn't eat and keep a meal in me. I have to try the generic because I'm going on MediCare and I don't think they or a supplement insurance will pay for it. I don't know yet what I'll do.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 09

This drug completely turned my life around. It allowed me to eat without colon spasm so that I could regain my nutrition. I took Levsin 30 min. prior to eating. I was able to eat without colon spasm or pain, and gradually increase the fiber and bulk so that my diarrhea could be controlled. My life has turned around 100% thanks to my doctor prescribing Levsin. I now no longer need it. It's a wonder drug for those who need it but doesn't seem to be well known.

Related Reading: levsin

Comment from: ICUspecialist, 35-44 Published: December 02

This drug worked miracles for my IBS spasms n cramping very quickly, as One takes this drug by placing it under your tongue (tho they used to make a higher dosage, timed released version) If my IBS spasms acted up the pain was gone within minutes. And one only has to use 1-2 tabs (0.125mg each) as needed. I had NO side effects from this medication, only relief from the painful spasms and would recommend this drug to anyone suffering with true IBS/Irritable Bowel Syndrome. HOWEVER, I'm greatly dismayed/disappointed the manufacturer decided not to make this drug available any more this past mid spring 2008. Now I'm having to suffer very painful bouts of lower abdominal spasms (not stomach) that is more solely noted for those dx/diagnosed with true IBS +/- diarrhea/constipation by a GI specialist-Gastroenterologist; not just any type of doctor. -If suffer from a variety of stomach or bowel or both, w/varying problems like: difficulty swallowing, gastric/stomach acid reflux, pain/spasms in mid to slightly left side of abdomen, just under last rib to mid upper abdomen, is where the stomach is-not on the side or back, nausea to cramping of upper-lower abdomen, to diarrhea or constipation, you poss have more than IBS!! -See a GI specialist to do the right testing to diagnose your problem(s); not just accept the word/diagnosis w/o testing from one who doesn't specialize in disorders & diseases of the GI tract. -The GI specialist/Gastroenterologist (he/she) specializes in these disorders ranging from down the esophagus to the stomach, out to the small intestine, thru the large intestine, finally thru the colon then out the rectum. *a normal person has 60ft of intestines, which is the small n large intestines or in general 'bowels'. -There are a variety of disorders or disease processes that could affect these areas. -Diagrams+technical names, but easy to understand, of the GI system: wwwDOTafraidtoask.comSLASHbowelSLASHgitractDOThtml

Comment from: thenewme, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 10

This drug is a lifesaver (Not literally, but it feels that way)! I have stress induced IBS (cramping and diarrhea) and Levsin takes less than a few minutes to relieve all my symptoms. I am so thankful for this wonder drug, it eliminates embarrassing bathroom runs (literally) and disgusting gas station restroom visits. My life almost feels normal!

Related Reading: stress | diarrhea | levsin

Comment from: CLEH, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 20

I had burning and diarrhea in 2011, unresponsive to OTC medication. I have a diverticula and my gastroenterologist thought it was probably inflamed or that I had IBS. She prescribed hyoscemine (sp)? I took it for a few days only, and it cleared up nicely. I don't remember having any of the side effects described above and was totally satisfied. I was 86 years old.

Comment from: prvol, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 22

I had a rough time of it before ever taking this medication. I was afraid to be out most of the time for fear I would have an accident, this pill has been a lifesaver for me!!

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 26

Within 15 minutes, cramping and colon explosiveness ceases after one pill.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 03

The first time I took it, it gave me dry mouth, which was expected. Unfortunately now that I've taken it a few more times, I find that it makes me dizzy and weak. I don't think it's been all that effective for my IBS, and the side effects certainly outweigh the benefits right now.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: golden, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 13

I have lactose intolerance. This drug was prescribed by my family doctor to treat the extreme stomach pain related to ingesting dairy products which contain lactose. I try to avoid dairy but when I make a mistake I really pay dearly in horrible stomach cramps. I can take2 Levsin 0.125 mg S/L to completely abate the cramps within 30 minutes. It is a godsend.

Related Reading: lactose intolerance

Comment from: martha Harnish, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 25

please make the cxapsules available as a choice my drug provider would not fill my preseciption for regular formula I got before ( this was a refill ) Irritable bowel sendryome (severe) Please respond! [email protected]

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 07

prescribed by my physician for uncontolled vomitting caused by flu

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: jiggsup, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 17

hard to get insuranc to pay for

Comment from: fibro.91, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

Was in hospital for pancreitis had my reg.colon. prod.I have been living with my pain since I had my colon partly removed 5 years ago. So now they put me on this med. to see if it could help relief some pain and it has, I still am suffering with Diverticulius no sure on spelling.

Comment from: auburnwtl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a year ago and prescribed Levsin. It worked wonderful at reduces cramping immediately. I was told when I went to get my refill that it is no longer on the market. If anyone knows why or where I can get it again, I would appreciate it! It's the best drug for having stomache cramping and/or IBS.

Related Reading: celiac disease

QUESTION

What is irritable bowel syndrome or IBS? See Answer
Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 29

significant abdominal pain starting right below the rib cage extended to entire abdominal area. When I would bend over it felt like someone stabbed me with a pitchfork right in the center of my gut.

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: junosima, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 06

I have severe IBS and this medication has helped some, but I've developed thyroiditis since I started using...? related to the sublingual administration? Ever hear of a connection? Seeing my doctor tomorrow.

Related Reading: thyroiditis

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 13

I recently had my first gall bladder flare up, this was the only medication to give me relief.

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 19

I have acid reflux,after the first pill I was amazed. it works

Comment from: Jules55, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 12

I began taking the generic Levsin a few years ago after a colitis attack that occurred a year after being hospitalized for C Diff. I won't go anywhere without this! It's very effective at stopping cramping associated with diarrhea. I have no side effects.

Related Reading: levsin | colitis | diarrhea

Comment from: Hyoscyamine, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 07

It has caused me to feel bad, I suppose. Overall it has been o.k.

Comment from: Steve, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 14

Especially after breakfast I would often have to make a run for the john to have a bowel movement. Many times I failed to make it in time and had a mess to clean up. Things have not improved as much as I had hoped. I have also started Probiatics at the request of my doctor. This has been over a month. I have tried to eliminate dairy products and still little emprovement.

Comment from: Raquel, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 17

Not quite getting the result I hoped for, feeling better. It seems to have helped with the nausea. This is day 4. Barley keeping anything down, or in.