Librium

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 13

Ok. First I was a Meth addict for about 3-4 years and the day I turned 21 I started drinking to stop doing Meth. I been drinking heavily for about 11 years now im 32 and finally decided ive had enough. I went to the doctor about a week ago and they prescribed me Librium. I think it works better than valium or xanax because ive had both in the past. drug is used to stop DTS but not to stop cravings only you can stop that. I give this drug 5 out of 5 stars...seriously if you really want to stop drinking you can but librium is only there to stop anxiety and the shakes.. good luck everyone and believe me there isnt a day i wake up and dont wanna get a 12 pack for breakfast.....only been sober for a week.. its really hard

Related Reading: librium | valium | xanax

Comment from: bluebird day, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been described 3 types of drugs for serious alcohol withdrawls throughout the years (valium, xanax, and librium). Librium by far been the best for treating withdrawls and the anxiety that goes along with it. I was told by a psychiatrist at a treatment center specializing in alcohol addiction that it is the best for the symptoms of withdrawl and the safest as far its addictive properties. I have been sober for 2 years now and hopefully won't have to go through alcohol withdrawls ever again.

Related Reading: librium | anxiety

Comment from: sunshinemaryjo, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 06

Have used this medication in detox before. Used it as perscribed while in detox at home. Worked very well. Anexiety very low. Craving very few. Worked well. Good Luck...be safe

Comment from: Knuckles, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 14

I have been to 2 rehab facilities, and 2 ER visits for my alcoholism. This last visit to the ER was for pancreatitis. I was in for a week, and was prescribed Librium for 2 weeks, with a slow taper towards the end. It did what it was meant to do. Cut down anxiety, lessened cravings, and gave my body time to recover. What some people on here don't understand, is it isn't a drug to stop us alcoholics from "wanting" or "craving" alcohol. That is up to us individually to do. There isn't a miracle drug out there that will stop us from thinking the way we think. It's a constant battle to stay sober for many of us. Even though I am an Atheist, I still attend AA meeting so that people of like minds can help give me the tools to stay sober. It's just as much mental, as it is anything else. Librium helped me once I fell off the wagon, and had to go to the hospital when my pancreas swelled 4 times the size it is, but I took my last pill two days ago, and with the tools I learned in rehab, and the support of family and friends, I haven't had one craving. We alcoholics will never stop being alcoholics. The "Just one." mentality doesn't work for us. If you want to be sober, there is support and understanding out there, but it won't come in a pill form. This pill did what it needed to do. Cut down on my shakes (as an alcoholic, most of us think that if we have a couple of drinks to get rid of the shakes, we will be fine, but when does it ever stop at "Just a couple."?) I take Citalopram, Trazadone, Hydroxazine, Zofran, and formerly Librium. Some to battle depression (also a cause/side effect of alcohol), but nothing will stop the cravings except my own mind. So, stay strong. Keep the path, and don't "rely" on medicine to fix you. Work on fixing yourself.

Related Reading: alcoholism | pancreatitis | citalopram

Comment from: anonymous, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 07

I am on 10 mg every 12 hrs as needed--it works but makes me extremely sleepy. It helps, but I only take it when I start having trouble with withdrawals. I have been drinking daily for about 4 years. Nothing takes away the main desire to NOT drink--it's something I've had to dig deep within to find. I could drink a gallon right now but I'm determined not to.

Comment from: stillredhot, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 16

I recently went to detox for 6 days for alcohol withdrawal. They put me on Librium for 3 days and then continued vitamins for the rest of my stay. I came out completely refreshed. Librium took care of the shakes, nervousness, hallucinations and tremors. My doctor prescribed me 10 mg to have at home when needed for anxiety.

Related Reading: vitamins | tremors

Comment from: nate, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 05

I'v been in alot of rehabs. This drug is the only thing that brings me relief the modivation to live life. The setback is i have a substance abuse problem. My ? is what do i do. I would rather live happy and die early than be in living hell. I know the addictiveness will be there but that is what support is for right.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 09

Works very well to control severe anxiety. Calming and soothing, doesn't make you feel strung out when the effects wear off. Only issue I had was occasionally feeling dizzy.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: abbey522, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 02

After 6 years of drinking every day, sometimes all day for days at a time, i went to the ER because I knew I was going to be sick and they gave me librium as an RX after i left the hospital. It makes me dopey by the 3rd dose in the early evening, but it keeps me so calm that even when I do think about drinking I feel calm enough to deal with the urges. I am also taking Antabuse. Something to consider if you need as much help as I do.

Related Reading: librium | antabuse

Comment from: Dave C, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

This message is for all the Dr.s and nurses that work in detox facilities for alcoholics. Libriums does not work on patients craving for more alcohol, at least for me it did'nt. I recently went into a three day so-called " intensive" detox program from alcohol that cost about $6500. No matter what the cost, at least give the patient a medication strong enough to get their mind off of wanting another drink. It's bad enough we are unwilling addicts to a drug but least give us the right amount of help. They started off giving me 4 Libriums and vitamins. I've been an alcoholic for at least 20 years and stopping the shaking and making sure I get my vitamins A,B, and C isn't going to stop me from thinking about another beer or 3 or 12. In fact, the drugs were given to me in little paper cups that reminded me of shot glasses. I'm not telling you guys to give us meds for a buzz, but at least give us something to take our minds off of needing another drink.

Related Reading: vitamins

Comment from: cg489, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 17

This medication has done wonders for me. I was coming off of alcohol and benzo's withdrawls and this helped alot.

Comment from: james, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

i was hospitalized several times for acute pancreatites. at least 6 days each time. horrible withdrawls, even decked a nurse and was restrained. sorry. since ive been taking 25mg 3 times daily the mental craving, 18 or more beers a day is still there it really seems to keep the physical problems down even though ive got a long way to go.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 07

I'VE BEEN ON THIS DRUG SINCE FEB. 2006. I STARTED AT TEN 25MG PILLS A DAY. WEANED DOWN TO TWO 25MG A DAY. HAVE NOTICED THAT IT CAN MAKE ME MORE IRRITABLE, LIKE THE ABOVE POSTER SAID. ANYONE WHO HAS HAD PROBLEMS WITH ANGER OR IRRITABILITY INCREASE ON LIBRIUM, PLEASE EMAIL ME [email protected] MY DOCTOR SAYS IT IS AN ADDICTIVE DRUG---BUT ONLY IF I ABUSE IT---WHICH I DO NOT. I TRIED TO DETOX OFF OF 50MG A DAY AND ALMOST DIED, MY HEART WAS ON FIRE ACROSS MY CHEST. IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU A "HIGH" FEELING LIKE XANAX AND ATIVAN DID FOR ME, IT DECREASES MY ANXIETY WITHOUT ME EVEN KNOWING IT---WHICH MAKES IT A GOOD AND SAFE DRUG FOR ME. LIKE IT, BUT SCARED I WILL DEVELOP TOLERANCE ON IT.

Related Reading: librium | xanax | ativan

Comment from: james205648, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 19

This helps with my anxiety, as well as a muscle relaxant.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 11

Librium has helped me tremendously with alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Related Reading: librium

Comment from: Tom E, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

After years of alcohol abuse I went into treatment and was on 300mg for a while and then gradually weened down off of it .The only thing I did not like was the feeling of not touching the ground while I was walking .Other than that I found it to be very helpful

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 27

Used in doses up to 400mg/day for combat Post Traumatic Stress. Now not available in brand name 25mg caps. After initial high dose tapered down & use as needed. Generic is bad.

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: Richard, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 29

I take 19mg 3x per day along with 500mg depakote to control simple partial seizure and anxiety. I like this drug very much because of the long half life and also because it is less potent than ativan, xanax, etc.. I never have had to increase the dosage. It's cheap and works great.

Related Reading: depakote | seizure | anxiety

Comment from: Milo, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 25

I was prescribed Librium after I requested to try something different from Klonopin. I didn't find this medicine as helpful as some of the other benzodiazepines. It works, but not in an outstanding way. My pharmacist at the time even asked me, "Does this stuff really work?" I requested to be changed to Ativan, which worked better for me. I was only taking 40 mg./day, so maybe that's why it didn't work as well for me as it has for some other people.

Related Reading: librium | klonopin | benzodiazepines

Comment from: soberglenn, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 08

this is my fourth day on 300mg and my Dr is decreasing the dose slowly over the next 8-10 days. I have been feeling much better but after 100mg tonight cant seem to get to sleep. My major concern is can I overdose? I did take an extra 25mg tonigh to try and get some sleep.

Comment from: bonnie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 12

this drug has workked for me befor with great reults

Comment from: STEROIDDEPENDENT, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 19

IN OCT OF 2006, I WAS PLACED UNDER A 72 HOUR SUICIDAL WATCH WHILE BEING ADMITTED FOR ALCOHOL DETOXING. I SPENT 5 DAYS IN A FACILITY WHILE TAKING 300MG OF LIBRUIM. WHEN LEAVING THIS FACILITY, THE DR. JUST DROPPED ME OFF THE MEDICATION WITHOUT SENDING ME HOME WITH ANY. THE NEXT DAY WHEN I DIDN'T TAKE THE DOSE, I HAD A MILD SEIZURE. I COULD NOT GET INTO SEE MY DR. FOR ANOTHER DAY. FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS, I WENT THROUGH HELL. I HAD SEIZURES, I WAS FALLING DOWN, I COULDN'T TALK, DIDN'T KNOW WHERE I WAS, HAD NO MOBILITY AT ALL. WHEN MY DR. PUT ME BACK ON IT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS TO WHEIN ME OFF AGAIN, HE DID IT AT A LOW DOSE. I WENT TO SEE HIM ON A FRIDAY, AND ON MONDAY I WENT TO SEE ANOTHER DR. BECAUSE I WAS ALSO GIVEN ANABUSE. THESE DRUGS ARE KNOWN TO BE DOWNERS, AND I TAKE MEDICATIONS FOR OTHER CONDITIONS THAT ARE UPPERS. OVER THE WEEKEND I HAD ABOUT 4-6 SEIZURES A DAY. I REALLY WANTED TO DIE. THEY WHEINED ME OFF SLOWLY IN 2 WEEKS BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO A REHAB AND I COULD NOT BE ON ANY BENZO'S. WHILE IN REHAB I WAS SWITCHED TO SEROQUEL, AND IT WAS MUCH BETTER. ONLY ONCE I WAS GIVEN THE LIBRUIM IN REHAB, BUT IT WAS ONLY 100MG. I WAS HAVING A TERRIBLE PANIC ATTACK. I WILL NOT TAKE THIS DRUG EVER AGAIN.

Related Reading: seizure | seroquel

Comment from: speedy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 10

after taking for alcohol I still the shakes

Comment from: don j, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 15

worked well 4 detox;however, all my lower extremeties joints are sore and it is hard to walk. I'm sure this will past in time.

Comment from: jturs07, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

causes constipation..will wean off gradually via doctors advice..

Related Reading: constipation