Lomotil

Comment from: middy, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 27

I have had IBS, diarrhea dominant, most of my life. I used to be home bound, going out to eat-never could do that because I never knew how my stomach would react to food at any given time. This medication has been a life saver. It has allowed me to have some normalcy in my life as far as getting out of my home, doing things like grocery shopping, eating out, or just being able to spend a day in town with my adult daughters. It stops my diarrhea, stops my stomach cramps. I do get dry mouth, and sometimes it makes me sleepy, but I will trade off those few side effects for the ability to live my life not chained to a toilet.

Related Reading: diarrhea | dry mouth

Comment from: Debi, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 30

It has helped me live a better, more normal life with my family, something I could not do before I found it.

Comment from: Lisa Marie, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 24

Not only does this medication work, it works very quickly.

Comment from: Pat, on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 18

I've tried Imodium, Pepto bismol and other products. Lomotil is the only that controls my colitus. It's very frustrating to me that it is classified as a controlled substance and available by prescription only. It may create some dependence but that is better than the alternative, which for me is being pretty much housebound. I'm hoping someone come to their senses and make it an otc drug.

Related Reading: imodium | lomotil

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 30

I THANK THE WONDERFUL DR. OF MINE WHO PRESCRIBED THIS MEDICATION. I HAVE SUFFERED WITH SEVERE DIARRHEA FOR YEARS. IT WOULD HIT ME WHENEVER, WHERE EVER I WAS. NO STOPPING IT. I HAD MANY,MANY,MANY EMBARASSING EXPERIENCES AND WOULD NEVER EAT BEFORE GOING ANYWHERE AND ALWAYS BRING A CHANGE OF CLOTHES WHEN I DID GO PLACES.THIS DRUG WORKS FAST AND I CAN ALWAYS DEPEND ON IT TO WORK. I EVEN TAKE IT BEFORE I GO OUT AND FEEL CONFIDENT. TOO BAD IT TOOK SO LONG FOR ME TO FIND THE RIGHT DR. I SUFFERED FOR YEARS AND YEARS WITH SEVERE IBS. I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON. THANK YOU GOD !

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 04

I have suffered from diarrhea for many years. Lomotil is the first drug that has worked very effectively for me. I started out with 8 tablets per day (2 tabs 4 x per day). I now take two tabs in the a.m. and two tabs before bedtime. I have also increased my fiber intake and my intake of water for a better health result. This drug is a life-saver!

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 18

This drug allowed me to continue working as a classroom teacher. After surgery for Crohn's over 30 years ago, I had severe and chronic diarrhea. I began taking Lomotil at that time. I've taken 4 pills a day since then. I eat anything I want and have controlled bowel movements twice daily, morning and evening. I could not have continued working without Lomotil. I wish they would deregulare its use. The generic version is almost as expensive as the brand name, but it's worth the cost. My doctor told me I was probably addicted, but I feel it's like insulin. I need it to have a good quality of life.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 22

I was on Lomotil for 1 1/2yrs. The dr started with 2/day. When I was taken off because it wasn't working at all, he had me taking 1500/per month - that equals 10 5x/day. When I changed RX stores, the new pharmists flipped out!!! He was the only one that seemed to be aware of the damage Atropine could do to ones eyesite. And he was right. When I was started on this med I had better than 20/20 vision. Now I can't see anything with out contacts or glasses on at any distance. Everything is very blurry ALL the time with out them. And on top of that, my chronic diarrhea from medical resectioning did not improve at any doseage! If you value your eyesite, please be careful. Be sure you have regular vision checks so you'll be aware if its changing and can make adjustments. Although, by that time you may be to late, like I was.

Related Reading: atropine

Comment from: rose, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 07

before i was given this med i had not been out to dinner for 2yrs,because of being afraid of accidents. After start of med, I would only take as needed.I would take a pill about an hour before eating & i was fine.I did not use med if I was eating at home. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 12

I have used Lomotil since 2001 with no side effects and very good results. I can eat during the day while away from home now. My quality-of-life is normal! :)

Related Reading: lomotil

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 14

Crohn's Disease is the reason I have taken Lomotil Oral for the past 10-12 years. I have not taken it every day for that long, but my physician alternated between Lomotil and other drugs meant for treating diarrhea.

Related Reading: crohn's disease | diarrhea

Comment from: Joy, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 11

I began taking Lomotil after colon cancer surgery resulted in diarrhea. I've taken it for 5 months along with Imodium. It works well to control the diarrhea but I have experienced lots of dreaming and my vision is blurred. I worry about long term side effects as my oncologist says I will probably have this problem the rest of my life.

Related Reading: colon cancer | imodium

Comment from: A.Jay, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 24

After 3 months of cronic diarrhea, asociated with IBS, I was finally prescribed this medication. I took it at bedtime and the next day I was fine. No 4 or 5 times on the toilet before going to work. Very effective and I just use now as needed. Not a cure, but it will give you fast relief. Excellent drug.

Comment from: Milo, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 25

My (former) doctor first prescribed this for a bout of gastroenteritis, then gave me a prescription to take as needed for IBS with diarrhea. Extremely effective, with no notable side effects. Supposedly Imodium is just as effective, but not in my experience.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 23

i am 60 years old and i have been using lomotil for acute bouts of colotis which come on suddenly. i was given other drugs at first which did nothing. lomotil is a lifesaver. i dont have to worry about if i can take care of my grandson or if i can go out. it is the best thing invented for diarrhea. i have never felt the need to take it or want it after it stops my diarrhea so i dont know why it is said to be potentially habit forming. ive been taking it for close to 10 years and only when i need it. there are no side affects. i couldnt live a useful and productive life without. i recommend it to others who need it.

Related Reading: lomotil

Comment from: Reddobie71, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 28

I sometimes get bouts of diarrhea and no OTC drugs would help. I spoke to my doctor about this problem and he prescribed Lomotil for me. I cannot believe how quickly it works. I only have to take one pill and my stomach and intestines are all nice and quiet. It's a miracle drug to me!!!

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 02

I have IBS, i've had it for 23 yrs, the first 14 yrs i tried everything drug out there that was suppose to releave my symtons,none worked. Then the dr give me lomotil and my life has changed. It was my miracle drug. I also was confined to the house, couldn't go anywhere, could not go out to eat, could not enjoy life. I think it is the best drug out there for Ibs or cronic diarrhea. Now the dr is tryin to stop giving it to me, he has put me on a different med called robinul. Been on it now for 2wks. Don't work for me. They are saying that lomotil is being classed as a drug that regulations has passed where they can't give it to me. Don't understand. I finally found something that worked & can't get it. :-(

Related Reading: robinul

Comment from: ALLISON, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 21

i AM A WOMAN THAT SUFFER'S FROM IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME,AND THIS DRUG HAS HELPED MY IBS SO MUCH. I WOULD RECOMEND ANYONE.

Related Reading: irritable bowel syndrome

Comment from: bwho, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 24

I have chronic diarrhea, IBS, for most of my adult life. I used to take boxes of over the counter anti-diarrhea meds. Since I have been on lomotil my life has been so much better because my symptoms are controllable.

Related Reading: diarrhea | lomotil

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 07

Not only does this medication stop diarrhea once it starts, but I also take it when I feel diarrhea symptoms coming on, like cramping or gurgling, and it prevents the diarrhea from happening in the first place. I have taken this medication a few times a month for Crohn's Disease for over 15 years with no side effects.

Related Reading: crohn's disease

Comment from: JennC, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 12

I was put on this medication to help treat my diarrhea predominant IBS. It worked wonders and allowed me to have a somewhat normal life. However after about 6yrs of using this medication. I noticed that I had no energy amongst other issues, and I was clearly addicted to it. I detoxed off of this medication, a week of hell. Since coming of this medication I have been feeling a lot better, and my IBS actually is better now off the medication then when I was on it. I would say to use this medication as a last resort, it does work for what its intended to do, but is highly addictive.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 19

Have IBS and stomach problems grew severe after gallbladder removal, could hardly leave the house until I was prescribed Lomotil. Caused drowsiness at first but my body has since adapted, is the only thing that has worked so far.

Related Reading: lomotil

Comment from: goforit789, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 12

I started taking lomotil after surgery for ovarian cancer. Unfortunately a section of my colon had to be removed, also. I suffered with extreme diarrhea during chemo but thought it would stop after chemo was over. That has been 4 months ago and still having extreme diarrhea. I would not be able to go anywhere without this drug much less enjoy a dinner out. I don't experience any side effects so it looks like it will be a life long buddy!

Related Reading: ovarian cancer

Comment from: angie, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 30

I belive this drug saved my life!i only wish it wasent a controlled drug,and the dr's understood the pain of ibs w/o it. I am now able to live a normal happy healthy life thanks to this med.

Comment from: Tina, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 18

With out this medication, I would not be able to leave my house. I was at that point a few years ago. I am so happy this medication exists. I can eat salads again!