Lopid

Comment from: llou2, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 03

it gave me energy,and i feel better,its just such a big ole pill

Comment from: usmale, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 27

I have taken Lopid for one and 1/2 years now and it has worked very well for me. It lowered my triglycerides from 1079 to 170 (still a little high) and also lowered my overall cholesterol level from 242 to 180. The only thing about thisdrug is remembering to ltlake it 30 minutes before you eat!!! Am I getting old?

Related Reading: lopid | cholesterol

Comment from: lulu88, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 10

I used this medicine for 11 days and had to stop due to side effects. EXTREME irritability, fatigue and general aches were so bad that I would rather keep my high triglycerides than take this medicine. Most people can probably tolerate this drug but I could not. I eventually reduced my triglycerides through altering my diet. Reducing refined carbohydrates and adding oat bran, fresh grapefruits and oranges and vegetable salads brought my numbers into the normal range down from the 400s.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Paling, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 22

Twice a day for life!! Take it with a spoon of yoghurt or applesauce, especially kids. Sometimes I forget to take. I am wondering if it affects memory. Maybe it's age? It be difficult to know. My lipids were over 850 before I started. Now they are near normal.

Published: March 15

I been taking Lopid for almost 3 yeears and know I have joint problems, I can hardly walk now , Andit's hard for me to work.

Comment from: Ruthie, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 21

I have tried over the past 8 years a series of medications that have not reduced my numbers and have elevated my liver count (Lipitor, Zorcor, Crestor). I have been on this medication for almost a year and it has worked wonders for me. I also exercise daily and have a well balanced diet. I have even lost 15 pounds. I feel like a new person. It works for me!

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: rchgrand4, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 22

my triglyceride count was above 635 when my doctor found them in 1982. lopid helped my brother,his was over 1,000. my count is about 225 now.

Related Reading: lopid

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 01

I had high triglyceride (over 600) and very high risk levels of both LDL and C-reactive Protein. After 90 days on Gemfibrozil, all blood levels are now listed as "Optimal." The only side effect I can possibly attribute to the drug is some lethargy, and some sleeplessness, however I can't be certain that the drug was the cause. I'm willing to be that anyone who had stomach issues didn't read the directions and drink a significant amount of water after taking the medication. Makes a HUGE difference.

Related Reading: gemfibrozil

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 03

Side effects can be bothersome because I am not sure if something is wrong or if it's just a side effect. Like the bloating,stomach upset, headache, insomnia,and weakness. (not all the time but on and off). I'd prefer not to take it at all but am terrified of suffering a stroke or worse.

Related Reading: headache | insomnia | stroke

Comment from: rcp4961, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 20

Had to stop taking the drug after 8 days, intense pain in my back, knee and shoulder joints, as well as insominia. Just felt lousy the whole time on it They should give this drug to terrorists and make them stay on it !

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 10

I took the drug for 3 wks. and the whole 3 wks. I didn't have a bowel movement. I also gained like 15 pounds and stomach felt very bloated and hurt. I stopped taking it and my bowels got back to normal and my stomach went down and quit hurting. I also so far have lost 3 pounds since quitting. It also made me feel like a zombie. No way could I drive and take it and was suppose to take it twice daily and just took it once a day due to how it made me feel. I do not recommend this drug.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 13

I have been taking this medication for 1 month and I have had serious fatigue, memory loss, joint and muscle pain. Complete loss of time and conversation. This medication has not worked for me at all. I have been instructed to stop medication ASAP.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: patsysue, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: July 06

This med. has caused me dizziness,muscle ache and most of all loss of memory to a short term. I am scared to use this again although I know I need it to bring down my trig's.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: RICKY T, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 18

THIS MEDICATION DID WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSE TO. BUT IT ALSO CAUSED ME TO HAVE ALL THE SIDE EFFECTS LISTED AND SOME OTHERS. I SPENT OVER 5 MONTHS ON THE SOFA DEAD TIRE. MIGRANES I NEVER HAD BEFORE. COULD NOT WORK AND HAVE GONE THROUGH MY SAVINGS. TO MANY THINGS TO LIST. IF IT HAD NOT BEEN FOR ME RUNNING OUT OF THIS MED AND WAS TO TIRED TO GO OUT FOR IT. I WOULD NOT HAVE STARTED FEELING SO MUCH BETTER IN LIKE TWO DAYS. SO I TALKED TO MY DOCTOR AND I HAVE BEEN OFF THEM NOW FOR A WEEK. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. I'M MORE ACTIVE. SOME MEDS CAUSE WORST PROBLEMS THEN WHAT THE FIX.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 07

I started taking this about 1 1/2 months ago and just recently had my doctor switch me to something else. I was nauseated all the time and had constant, severe heartburn regardless of what I ate/drank. I stopped taking it to make sure the medication was the problem and felt 95% better in a few days.

Related Reading: heartburn

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 03

This medication helped but it killed my sex drive, extreme fatigue, increased bruising, also hard time remembering things.

Comment from: Marv, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 16

I have only been on Lopid for 1 month but so far I have more energy and emotionally I feel great, better than antidepressants. No blood work as yet. Difficult to get the evening dosage in as I eat other than home alot.

Related Reading: lopid | antidepressants

Comment from: live4him, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 24

I have been on this medication for three weeks and I have has severe abdominal pain, chest pain, insomnia, migranes and now memory problems. I thought it was just stress, but I am forgetting songs I knew by heart and simple words I cant even spell correctly. Very scary. I will not take another pill after seeing all the side effects are related to this medication. I will stick to the high triglycerides first. As a mom I have to be on top of my game and with this medicine I was not able to do so.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | chest pain | insomnia

Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart See Slideshow
Comment from: MIMMI 247, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 29

I HAVE TAKEN ONLY THREE DOSES, MY FACE SWOLLEN ON ONE SIDE SEVERE MUSCLE PAIN, AND CHEST PAIN. MY FINGERS AND TOES ARE EVEN SORE. THE SITE EFFECTS ARE WORSE THAN THE CONDITION AS OF NOW. TILL I FIND THE RIGHT ONE. PLEASE TAKE CAUTION WITH THIS DRUG....

Related Reading: chest pain

Comment from: vinny, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 28

I have taken this med for over twenty years and dropped my triglycerides from 2400 to around 380,dr's are pleased with that number.Few side effects gallstones I am thinking and headaches but can't take statins.All around a safe drug.

Related Reading: gallstones | statins

Comment from: tinkfan, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 03

I had Triglycerides over 500 and after 6 months on the drug numbers are normal....dr. mentioned changing to tricor since it has less potential interactions with other medications....but after reading the reviews for Tricor I will insist on staying on lopid.....also consult u'r doctor about taking 3000mg of fish oil daily, it has helped me. good luck everyone

Related Reading: tricor | lopid | fish oil

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 30

I started taking this for high cholesterol and because the newer market meds were too expensive. I also take fish oil supplements. Taking Lopid 30 minutes before eating is impossible unless I want to endure the worst acid-reflux imaginable. Have to take it with food. Had recent blood test and levels are still in high range.

Related Reading: cholesterol | lopid

Comment from: Ichigo Kurosaki, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 25

I tried to take this, but within hours of the first dose, I got a sharp pain directly below my sternum, either in my liver, or my stomach. I stopped taking it for five days then tried again, but stopping some supplements like B-vitamins and tried again. Got the same pain in the same place. I haven't taken it since. Ironically, the mega-dose of Niacin I was taking actually did a better job. This may work for some, but if you have a blood relative, especially a parent/child/sibling who has tried this and could not tolerate it, there is a good chance you won't tolerate it, either. My mother tried taking Lopid and though her reaction was different, her intolerance was apparently telling in this case. She can't take aspirin, but I have no problem with it.

Related Reading: liver | vitamins | niacin

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 20

I don't know if this is working or not, I just started it a week ago. It makes me extremely tired.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been taking Lopid for more than 2 years and have not experienced any adverse side effects. I usually take before bed and when I wake up. Triclycerides have dropped and remain manageable.