Lortab Elixir

Comment from: Mom, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 25

My son is 7 and had his tonsils and adenoids removed 3 days ago. This medication does seem to help with pain but he has had very little appetite. We are giving him 4-5 mL every four hours, even throughout the night. I have been waking him up in the night to make sure he gets his meds. on-time. Keeping up regular doses is the only way to keep him from getting past the point where we can't even get the medicine down because he is crying so hard. He does not like the taste, but it forces him to drink some fluids to wash it down.

Comment from: Mike, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 13

I had a my tonsils removed (along with some other upper throat and septum work). My only prob with this med is that it doesn't last long enough. My dose is 15mL every 4 hours. The pain is back in about 1/2 the time.

Comment from: mom, 3-6 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 17

This is working for my child (6yrs) who had her tonsils/adenoids removed. She HATES the taste but knows that it will provide some relief. The day after surgery she was drinking and eating soft foods, but I did give her the med. every 4 hours on the nose. Just swallow it down quickly and chase with a flavored drink (her choice=orange gatorade/vernors) and its done! If she can do it, so can you.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 36 year old female that has had a tonsilectomy. For this type of pain, the medication has worked very well. Of course there is still pain, but considering that a portion of my body in my head was removed from my body and without the medicine it is excruciating to swallow, I am so thankful for being able to take a great edge off of the pain.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 19

Attempt to get another med. Taking this med will cause nausea and/or vomiting (this is soley from the taste of the med). PT = 27 YOM, tonsilectomy, 2-3 TSP every 4-6 hours "as needed" meds would wear off in 3 hours. Taste of med would delay the dosing (thinking that maybe the pain was not that bad to be made to drink this med again). Mixing w/ water, Sprite, Gatorade does not help with taste!! Good Luck

Comment from: Teesters, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 10

Have a particularly bad case of Strep Throat and was prescribed the Elixir to help with the pain. And this has to be one of the worst prescription pain killers I've ever received. The only good thing about this garbage is how sleepy it makes me, which in turn allows me to zoink out. But I can only attempt to sleep so long as it's on my side and or my stomach because of fear of possibly voimiting. What little pain relife it does provide is done well before the "4-6 hour" dosage limit. If I ever get this as a prescription again, I'll be sure to come up with a reason to get something that I know will actually work, instead of waste my time.

Related Reading: strep throat

Comment from: Michael65270, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 10

Im 21 years old. I have lesions and abcesses in my throat and they gave me Hydrocodone (lortab elixir) for the pain. The first couple doses didnt seem to work. But have been taking it almost two days now and I can eat and drink just fine now. I would recommend to just give it time.

Related Reading: hydrocodone | lortab elixir

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 01

My daughter is 3 years old and she had her tonsils out. I gave her this med every 4 hours and after the second day she just didnt want it anymore and so i just stop giving it to her she was eating and drinking good. but it done the job for her. At 3 years old. she did hate the taste but what kid wouldnt.

Comment from: IHAVEN'TGOTTIME4THEPAIN, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 09

s/p T & A - miserable. MD reccs dose of 15ml/4hours - what?? That means 7.5mg hydrocodone/500mg tylenol. It barely takes the edge off for an hour. WTF? I have had my throat slit open. Even MD reccs to increase to 22.5 ml still leaves me in pain before the 4 hour dosing window opens. SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE! T & A approx 84 hours ago and have not slept more than 2 hours and swallowing is excruciating. Will have to return to MD office on Monday - I'm actually getting bronchitis/productive cough too!

Related Reading: hydrocodone | tylenol | bronchitis

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 05

I had my tonsils and adnoids removed. This medication is the only reason I can swollow at all let alone get any sleep after my surgery.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 23

25 year old female with ulcerated esophogus. the med takes the edge off the pain, but i am only able to take it at night due to the drowsiness it causes. The taste is not that bad if you consider the relief it provides.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 27

I am recovering from a UPPP, tonsillectomy and deviated septum repair. My nose is not bothering me at all. I HATE this med! It burns going down and the pain relief is only good for about 1 1/2 hrs. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and had much better pain control with Vicodin when I had previous surgeries. I am to the point that I am taking ES Tylenol caplets as these are less painful to swallow. I am not getting any sleep effects from this medication either.

Related Reading: deviated septum | burns | vicodin

Comment from: schokcer28, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 04

I am 29 yr. old Male I had a Tonsillectamy. I have found this med to taste like Robitussin that is not flavored. However once you get past the taste it works very well.

Comment from: Dickie, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 07

Works pretty good for a short time, but then it should becauce the bottle costs $200.

Comment from: futuremd205, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 06

I am currently taking this drug after a tonsillectomy. The taste is not that bad, it is like any other liquid medicine. It burns on contact but the pain is gone within minutes. Since tonsillectomy recovery is a two week process, you get used to the side effects (dizziness, etc). And as long as taken with food, nausea will not occur. Good luck with this medicine!!!

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: LindaO, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 06

Flavor isn't great, but it works well for me. I had my stomach removed due to stomach cancer, so finding Meds of any kind that 1) work, 2) is absorbed in the small intestine, 3) is not an NSAID has been a challenge. The cancer is gone (caught very early) so I have to be careful of long term issues as well so I have kept my dose low.

Related Reading: stomach cancer | cancer

Comment from: Skyla425, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 25

With out a doubt the hardest drug I've ever had to take. I'd rather have a suppository than drink this! Tastes so bad it makes me vomit and the dosage amount you have to take just to ease pain is to much. After a stomach surgery I wasn't allowed any pill larger than a skittle so I was prescribed this, it's so foul that I informed my Dr.and got fentanyl instead. J├Ąger tastes 5x better than this. Yuck!

Comment from: silvertop, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 26

Had severe viral throat infection. Was prescribed for pain. Hated the dosage was in ML ( had to determine 15 ML = fluid oz on internet. I had 3+ glasses of water before bedtime, but had VERY little urine a couple hours later. Decided to stop aftr 1 dose

Comment from: Dizzy Patient, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 08

I had to have a cyst removed from my throat and this was prescribed as a pain reliever. It burns like fire going down and tastes horrible. I have also never been so dizzy in my life but I can swallow without pain.

Related Reading: cyst

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 28

After having MAJOR toncil surgery for cancer, I found it to be the most difficult painful medicine that I could ever imagine. At one point I screamed with pain after the first swallow.

Comment from: laurel, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 24

i took a morphine this morning around 10:30 and still in lots of pain can i take another morphine or can i take lortab instead for in between

Comment from: SherryGabs, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 19

Had most of my stomach and small portion of small intestine removed 4 days ago. Was on morphine in hospital and was switched to Lortab elixir the day before discharge. The first couple of doses made me vomit, after that no more nausea. It does relieve pain, not totally, but well enough. The relief does not last 4 hours, however. I either have to suffer or take dosages more frequently.

Related Reading: lortab elixir

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 21

Makes me a bit dizzy but works really well. Hardly no pain from adenotonsillectomy.

Comment from: calluna13, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 17

Had major surgery twice within the last year and they sent me home with this both times. Although I'm sure it's safer to send home than a more potent drug, it doesn't quite kick the pain the same as in hospital ones do. Not impressed by it at all!

Comment from: Mom, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 21

My daughter is nine and was recently given Lortab Elixer at the emergency room for a fractured foot. This was a huge mistake! The medicine had no sooner hit her mouth and it was projectile vomited straight back out. Why the nurse chose an alcohol based liquid I will never understand. This pain reliever is obviously not for children and I am horrified that it has not been labeled as such. Hopefully parents across the nation will complain to their pediatricians as I plan to do and help to keep this medication from traumatizing and possibly poisoning other children in the future. Jodi Kennedy- Mom

FDA Logo