Lotemax

Comment from: No Tears, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been to several different doctors, to one of the best eye institutes in the country, tried every medicine imaginable for my eye which has constantly watered for the past 5 years. Doctors have been unable to diagnose the cause and have experimented with every type of medicine available. One week ago I returned to my local eye doctor because the problem had become worse to the point of infection. I had been using Tobradex for some time but it was no longer working. My doctor gave me a sample of Lotemax and in 3 days my eye (for the first time in 5 years) cleared up and stopped tearing. It seems almost too good to be true for me but today is 7 days of no tears.

Related Reading: tobradex | lotemax

Comment from: jnrsnona, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had chronic dry eye condition for over 12 years and used Bion Tears eye drops for relief. I have also abused other "get-the-red-out" eye drops which [provide only temporary relief and have a rebound effect. I was socially feeling self conscious because people assume my dry eyes were maybe from something else,,,if you catch my drift here, Very embarrassing. I just had an eye exam and they did a Shirmer's tes for dry eye and I definitely showed a severd positive result for that. My doctor prescribed Lotemax Ophthalmic .05 . The relief is instant ! I have white where there used to be red in my eyes. What a miracle ! I would definitely recommend this medication to anyone suffering from chronic inflammation in their eyes due to dry eye syndrome

Related Reading: dry eyes

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 28

I have Sjogren's and my eyes are very dry and require drops several times a day. I use Thera Tears.....but recently was having more red eye and burning than usual in spite of the drops. My optometrist prescribed Lotemax three times per day. I love this medication!!! I feel as if my eyes are new again! What relief! I praise God for this wonderful medication!

Comment from: bikeboy, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 11

It works great, but $305 for a 15ml bottle? That's not just unconscionable, but ought to be criminal! It probably cost them $5 to make it, and of course there is no generic. They should be thrown in prison.

Comment from: eng12, 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 26

I'm sixteen years old. I've had sticky, white dischargings of mucous building up in my eyes every waking hour since I was nine. I've taken various medications (with names I cannot remember), tried hot compresses, used lid scrubs, rinsed with various irrigating solutions and few worked even temporarily if at all. Last week, my ophthalmologist prescribed Lotemax with assurance of its effectiveness. I was a bit skeptical, but after the first drops, the normal disgusting, huge, sticky mucous dissolved to fragile strings to nothing. I was astounded. Seven years of eye rubbing and gallons of mucous from my eyes have finally ended. Lotemax is a miracle.

Comment from: Allie, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 20

Following four eye surgeries (catarach and subsequent detatched retina) I have had what feels like ants crawling in my right eye, swollen, red eye lid and watery eye. I was perscsribed Lotemax, which worked almost immediately, but was told by my doctor that this med. was not for long term use as it may cause glaucoma.

Related Reading: glaucoma

Published: March 28

I get viral conjunctivitis very frequently, approximately once a month for the past year, my eyes are normally red when I wake up in the morning, this is the 2nd time I have been prescribed this for it, and both times it clears up the pain, redness, and watering almost right away.

Comment from: shooter, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 18

Since they switched from suspension to gel, had extreme side effects. Severe shooting pain and blown blood vessels after using the gel formula for a month or so. Used the suspension formula for a couple of years and no side effects and that worked great! Price of the gel which only last 18 days is outrageous from the suspension.

Comment from: GPC sufferer, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 02

I was prescribed Lotemax .5 to treat Giant Papillary Conjuntivitis (GPC). The dosage is 4x's daily for 5 days, then 2x's daily for 5 days. Yesterday 9/1/2012 was my first day using and only instilled 3x's since I filled the Rx in late afternoon. When I woke in the morning my left eyelid was swelled so bad and I am wondering if this is a sign that the meds are working? The left eyelid is the one suffering more severely with GPC, the right lid just had the normal puffiness that I've been experiencing, so I would expect that if I was allergic to this med, that both lids would have swelled the same. I've also been prescribed Patanol which was started on 8/27/2012 - instill 2x's daily and was told to continue with both meds to try and knock this out. I've instilled the Patanol to see if it would take the swelling down since it is an antihistimine-after about 20 mins it appears to have helped a bit. I am going to wait another hr or so to see if the swelling subsides before taking the Lotemax. My GPC was diagnosed on 8/27/12, however I suspect this started about 4 wks prior to that and was initially prescribed Vigamox to treat pink-eye. It wasn't until 8/27 that the Dr flipped my eyelid to discover GPC was present. My vision remains unaffected through all this, the eyelids are the main issue with swelling and itchiness. Discharge is minimal. I've discontinued using my contacts since 8/27. This is my first episode ever with GPC. I will update on my progress with Lotemax - however, so far, not impressed - I guess I was hoping for an overnight miracle instead of a left eyelid almost swelled shut.

Related Reading: patanol | vigamox

Comment from: felling unhappy,frustated, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 18

I suffer from chronic dry eye due to sjogren syndrome(I am not producing tears, my doctor gave this eye drops to use twice a day, the first treatment day my eyes got red swallow as hell and worst

Comment from: Safetydoc, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 06

Used along with Prolensa and Besivance following cataract surgery and IOL implants. Worked well but thick and leaves a residue in the corners of the eye that can become dry and irritating. Surgeon stated to irrigate between times of drops with artificial tears if needed to wash out excess, being careful not to do so too close to application of the gel. Worked great for me. Right eye done three weeks ago shows close to 20/20 vision and hoping left eye done this week will do as well.

Related Reading: prolensa | besivance

Comment from: Namma, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 03

so far, this rx has greatly relieved my symptoms, and immediately!

Comment from: ddddddd, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 30

I have dry eye and my eyes get really dry when using computers for long periods especially under AC or heating vents where there is lots of air flow. My doctor gave me this and I used it from time to time. The best result I was was when I was out in a bar for a few nights where there was lots of smoke. My eyes were bright RED the next morning and this gave instant relief from itching/burning and made them eventually whiter. I would recommend this drop....

Comment from: Relieved, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 08

I have tried 3 different eye drop to clear up over tearing in both of my eyes and none of them worked. i was on the verge of have stents put inot each eye to control the over tearing. I was given Lotemax to try and almost immediately the tearing reduce the gritty feeling in my eyes went away and the blurry vision went. I am very happy with this product.

Related Reading: lotemax

Comment from: auntlu, 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 28

am using after cataract surgury, is it safe? would this bring on glaucona?

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 18

I have been using Lotemax since November of 2012,4xday, Was using Durezel, but docters were concerned with the pressures rising in my eye. They said on Lotemax we wouldn't have to be concerned with that. I do get breif eye pain and headaches and about once a month my blood vessels break on the whites of the eye.

Comment from: dynasty, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 26

Have chronic dry eye which has been heightened after lasic surgery 1 1/2 years ago. After using both systane ultra and freshkote eye drops for almost a year. I still experienced pain from dryness and extreme redness. My eye doctor prescribed Lotemax for the inflammation and I received immediate relief. I was told not to use this too much and instead use Lastacaft for the eye allergies that I also have. The Lastacaft was to replace the Lotemax in attending to the inflammation. I also was prescribed Restasis and have been using 2x daily for the last 8 months. I no longer have the sore eyes I once had but I still suffer from red eyes. Anti-redness drops can only be used once a day and only address the redness for a short time.Lastacaft addresses itchy eyes but not the redness. Nothing else addresses the redness like Lotemax. I feel attractive again, unlike the self conscious feeling I would have from looking at people with these red, tired looking eyes. I am going to talk to my doctor again about using Lotemax with more regularity. I am reading such mixed reviews from doctors who are for and against using Lotemax regularly. If I can use Restasis and Lotemax daily , the answer to both the dryness and the redness are answered.

Related Reading: lastacaft | restasis

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 21

When I first started using Lotemax eye drops, four times per day, the results were immediate. Redness, watery eyes, dry eyes disappeared. Those good results lasted about a month. The eye drops seem to have a rebound effect. I am back to red watery eyes with a vengence. I am beginning to think there is no cure. Doctors?

Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Symptoms, Causes, Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: Nathalie, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 16

Aside from thanking God for the makers of this med I'm so thankful for my doctor for prescribing lotemax when I came in for persistently red eyes. I admitted to the doctor that I had been using Visine which worker initially but eventually stopped working. I've never been one to be self conscience about the way I look but when people keep asking if you're okay or keep telling you that your eyes are red you become just that self conscience. Despite the burning you feel upon distilling the medication into my eyes I'm so glad it took just this one med. The doctor gave me a sample of the 1ml bottle of lotemax and I'm so happy I saw on another post that this med costs $$$$.

Related Reading: lotemax

Comment from: Drover, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 13

My opthomologist did not instruct me to apply light pressure to the inside corner of my eye in order to prevent Lotemax from entering the tear duct and draining into my throat.My throat is extremely painful when I swallow and I have eaten nothing but oatmeal and soups for the past three days. I will never use Lotemax again nor will I ever use a steroid in my eyes in the future.. It is extremely painful to swallow.

Related Reading: lotemax

Comment from: LADY, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 01

My left eye has a small bump on the outer white part that became inflammed. It felt like a grain of something was inside the eyelid. The Dr. prescribed these drops. I felt sudden relief after the first treatment. The eye is now without redness & pain after (3) drops. Great medicine.

Comment from: RedRubberBall, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 17

Use: post-op care. Cataracts Taking w/ Tobramycin, Prolensa Side effects of meds: Eye spasms. Burning. Digestive upset/ Crohn's Disease aggravation requiring treatment. Dry mouth/nose. Severe daily headaches for duration of treatment. Dr. praised me for having least problems for that week, I'm sure due to appropriate post-op treatment with meds. Eye spasme/twitching has been ongoing for a month, even after discontinuation of meds. Hoping will continue to improve, but could be exacerbation of my dystonia, and could be permanent. Cataracts were functionally blinding me, so am glad for the surgery, but wish there were better options for my post-op care. Have a history of severe and disabling chronic Migraine and other severe headche disorders; Crohn's disease; lupus; Sjogren's disease; thyroid disease; hyperparathyroidism; dystonia; osteoporosis; avascular necrosis; other problems. Drops were difficult to take since I couldn't initially see to "aim" and have severe shoulder problems due to AVN. Drops were hard to coax from bottle, and I ran out due to missing my eyes on so many occasions. Headaches were nearly severe enough for emergency room visits, and was in constant and severe pain for the duration of treatment, however; headache pain resumed to normal within 36 hrs of the end of treatment. Digestive problems were fairly severe, and I was afraid I may have to stop treatment due to the danger to my gut, and endanger my eyesight. Was prescribed a special med to help with NSAID side effects and was able to continue treatment, although just barely. Given the option, I would do the surgery and take the meds, but I wish I would have been better prepared for the side effects of meds that seemed so friendly. I would purchase something to help me get the drops in my eye. Am a complicated patient with complicated history, but write this review in hopes my experience may be helpful to someone else with similar conditions, plan for their own journey to healing.

Related Reading: cataracts | tobramycin | prolensa

Comment from: The Dude, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 29

Dr. prescribed after corneal transplant. It seems to work without optical hypertension unlike prednisone It doesn't have a generic and a bit spendy. But a little goes a long ways.

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: metoo, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 03

Lotemax drops reduced my eye inflammation tremendously but after three months of continuous use caused bruising....you have to remember that it is a steroid even if it is low dose. I have had to discontinue using it.

Comment from: brig, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 03

I've been battling dry eyes for over 15 years and this eye drop has been the most effective. Yes, it's a steroid, but it works! And I haven't had to use any other prescription drops nor OFC eye drops..Thank God..wish I would have known about this sooner :)