Lotronex

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 19

My IBS condition severely impacted my life. I was unable to participate in activities because I never knew when a bout may occur. They were severe and occurred often. Since taking the medication i am able to enjoy life again and I feel great too. I know that the medication has it's risk but in my situation the benefits have far outweighed the risk and I am not even taking the full minimal dose of the medication!

Comment from: jc, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 16

I had horrible diarrhea issues that kept me at home on many occasions. I started to get panic attacks b/c I feared that my problem was going to attack on a date, at work, or while I was out with friends. I had stopped eating meals in public to try to slow down my digestive tract. I had tried so many diets and medications. I was even taking xanax for my panic attacks. Lotronex is the first thing that works and it works very well!!!

Related Reading: diarrhea | panic attacks | xanax

Comment from: Runner, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 27

I started having digestive problems after my gall bladder was removed several years ago, but nothing I couldn't handle. Then about a year ago I started having uncontrolled diarrhea. Sometimes I couldn't even make it to a bathroom, which was awful! I had never had that problem before. The doctor did the breath test and found bacteria in my upper intestines, after which he put me on medication for 10 days. That helped for 30 days and then it was back to the same problem. I then had all the tests, blood, colonoscopy, endoscopy. All negative. My diarrhea was ruining my life and I couldn't eat for fear of going to the bathroom or having an accident. He finally put me on Lotronex and it has helped a great deal. I only take one pill 0.5mg in the morning and it helps all day. If I forget to take it one day, the next day I have diarrhea again. So I don't want to be without this drug...ever. I have noticed some days that I have a little constipation, but I still have a BM and it certainly beats the alternative of running to the bathroom 5-6 times a day with diarrhea. Hopefully, they keep making this drug or come up with a cure for IBD.

Related Reading: lotronex | constipation

Comment from: zabeth, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 03

I do not know what I would do without this medication. I have severe diarrhea. This pill makes me normal. Imodium was good for me, but it did not form the stool. This pill forms the stool. I have been on this medication for several years now. I hope it never stops working for me.

Related Reading: imodium

Comment from: Finally_Better, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 17

With each new decade of my life I was becoming more and more impaired. More cramps, more diarrhea, more embarrasment. I started the .5 mg dose (twice a day) about a year ago. Although I have developed some tolerance to Lotronex, I have to say it is a LIFE CHANGING medication. I have regained QUALITY OF LIFE. I have NO SIDE EFFECTS. Only benefits. I can't imagine ever going back to how I was.

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 15

I have tried everything until finally after 5years I was in tears and told my doctor my irritable bowel syndrome was interfering in my life. I had already told my husband to go on with his life. I felt like I needed to be confined to my home at the age of 42. It caused some depression because I am a very active person and felt like I needed a portable potty with me at all times. Well since I have been taking lotronex I have had no side effects and I am living Life to the fullest. I went online and got the number for the drug co and they sent me discount cards so the medication for a 60 month supply only cost me a $15 copay. I take 1 0.5mg twice a day. I only take the evening one if I am going to be out somewhere were I might get alittle squeezy. It is WONDERFUL! I was alittle nervous at the beginning to start it because of the side effects and waiver I had to sign but I am glad God is with me on this one! it's the best. You can also call the company and get them to send you a card for a 2 week trial at no cost. You just need a RX from your dr for #30 and take it to the pharmacy with the card. Now the other discount cards you can use each card 6 times for refills. GOOD LUCK! Thank God for Lotronex!

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 27

My life was miserable before taking Lotronex and was faced with having to quit my job because I travel often. I was constantly seeking out bathroom locations and an embarassing situation in a cab ride just about made me hand in my resignation. This drug has without a doubt saved my life and I have no fear of traveling or meeting clients for meals. I don't take it every day, only when I recognize the symptoms of IBS and I immediately take a pill. Just knowing that the episode will pass I am immediately relaxed and ready to carry on with my day. I thank God that my physician put me on this miracle drug. He gave me back my life.

Comment from: Kathy-Illinois, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 08

I've read the reviews regarding this drug, Lotronex. I too, have suffered with IBS/D for several years & for the past 5 years have been taking 1 mg p/day. While I am most grateful for having my life back (working, shopping, socializing, etc.), I have experienced an increase in the cost of the medication for the past 13 months. I live in IL & now pay $545.00 per month for 30 pills (Initially, cost was $180.00). I do know that Glaxco-Smith Kline SOLD this drug to Prometheus Laboratories, San Diego, CA approximately 1/08. Whether it is new marking stratgies by Prometheus to off-set their cost of purchasing/manufacturing this drug, I feel $545.00 per month is completely UNREASONABLE both to the patient as well as my medical insurance coverage. While I am fortunate, at the moment, to have a prescription plan which pays for 85% of the cost, this claim, per month is calculated toward my overall lifetime maximum for my major medical coverage. I feel that there is a such a small percentage of patients that fit the criteria in need of this medication we have no option, currently, other than to pay this EXCESSIVE price. I look forward to the day when there will be a GENERIC form of this drug (as far as I know there is none). I will be discussing this issue with my GI doctor in the very near future. I wish everyone with this disorder continued days without our every thought being..."WHERE IS THE BATHROOM".

Related Reading: lotronex

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 12

I agree that it is a wonder drug. It isn't perfect but it is the best/only drug out there that remotely works. It allows me to have a life and career.

Comment from: toocoleyolie, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 11

OMG, this has been truly a God sent for me. I have had IBS for 20 yrs. plus. I have been takin Lotorex for almost a 1yr. My doctor gave me a discount card i only pay 15 bucks.God sent this med to me. I will tell you all find that doctor that will go hi and low for you and your pocket book. One more thing dont miss a dose. sign. Texas

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been taking Lotronex for almost six years now. It has helped with my IBS a decent amount. When my life is relatively stress-free I may go six weeks without an episode of diarrhea, but when I'm more stressed I tend to have an episode every few days. It would be nice if it would work ALL the time--especially in times of high stress--but getting diarrhea once every 2-3 days is still better than 10 times a day.

Related Reading: stress | diarrhea

Comment from: cherlee, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 04

While not 100% better - taking Lotronex allows me to have a better quality of life without constantly searching for a bathroom while away from home. Works much better than Bentyl, Lomotil, Immodium. No side effects of dry mouth or drowsiness.

Related Reading: bentyl | lomotil | dry mouth

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 10

Prior to taking Lotronex, I am pretty sure they had me on every medication possible even liquid Opium. None of it worked. My episodes had gotten so bad that I was eating Pepto, Gas-X and Imodium like they were candy. Now with Lotronex I feel much better and I am now able to go out wherever and whenever I want. While I have had a few minor episodes its nothing compared to what things were like prior to Lotronex.

Related Reading: imodium

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 15

I was diagnosed at the age of 16 with IBS and for years after that I went through almost every medication they could give me and finally after 4 years they perscribed lotronex and it has honestly been the first to make a significant difference. I cannot say that I am cured but I went from 4 diarrhea movements a day to 1 regular movement. I do have some of the side effects like constipation (which was something I had experienced in years) but all in all I consider this medicine a win. I am not pleased with the cost and cannot wait till there is a generic version. I cannot afford this stuff on a college student's income.

Related Reading: lotronex | constipation

Comment from: vicats, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 28

I started drug while on trial and went from having 10 to 15 bowel movements per day to 2 or 3 diarrhea stools. always had severe cramping and nausea with retching with each bowel movement. I was one of the women who begged to have it return to the market. I continue to use the max amount most days 1 mg twice daily on occasion i will take only daily. I adjust the doseage according to my bowel movements and have control of my life without the severe nausea, abdominal pain, and cramping that always went along with my diarrhea. on ocassion when I have eaten too much fresh vegetables and fruit I still have to take imodium, but I can enjoy the foods that I like now. The cost for a months supply is $800.00 and over. I would not be able to pay for it without my insurance paying for the lions share of it. But I have a life that does not depend on how close the bathroom is.

Related Reading: diarrhea | abdominal pain | imodium

Comment from: happy, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 08

Lotronex has made a tremendous diference in my quality of life. I teach middle schoolers, and before this drug I was looking for another career. I take the max dose, 2 1mg tabs per day, and still have some urgency, some loose stools, but no more accidents, leakage or explosive diarrhea. I wish a higher dose was available to me, but as long as this dosage keeps working like this, I'll be happy.

Related Reading: lotronex

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 04

I have suffered with IBS for over 25 years. Now I am taking Lotronex once a day and I feel that I can do almost anything that I could not do before I started to take this medication. I was not able to go out to eat with my husband, visit with friends or even travel. I now feel well enough to be able to enjoy the things I was missing in my life. I am even back at school to get my BS in Health Studies.

Comment from: bobwyre, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 28

I have been taking this for more than 2 years. It has been great...but losing my insurance so I don't know how I will pay for the $800 a month cost.

Comment from: Kimberly, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 03

I take 1mg tablets twice daily for years and still have diarrhea about twice a week. I have had diarrhea every day of my life since 16 years old and twice a week is great for me. They said it will take years for my body to stop being overactive in that area. The drug needs to be made in Generic, the cost of $1400.00 in Iowa is outrageous but to someone that has lived in fear their entire life it is worth it. Love the drug, not the price. The other bad part of this drug is the required Rx sticker. This doesn't allow us to have the Rx called into the pharmacy.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 20

This is truly a miracle drug. It can cause some constipation and bloating but if you adjust your diet you can control that.

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 30

It has improved my IBS-D about 50%. Without it, I am housebound. But the cost!!! $2,500 a month! It was $175 when introduced. This is greed, pure and simple. And no generic for years to come.

Related Reading: ibs-d

Comment from: correctusage, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 21

My doctor had me try this instead of relying on Imodium daily. I took .5 - 1.5 mg per day. The medication did make a difference, offering firmer stools 3 out of 4 times. It does not reduce the number of bowel movements as well as Imodium does, and it does not settle my uppity stomach as well as Imodium. Last year my insurance covered the cost 100% - Today, it was going to cost me, out of pocket, $1,500 for one month at three .5mg pills per day. That is AFTER my insurance contributed $1,000 and AFTER the manufacturers $500 discount card. For me, the benefit is not worth emptying my bank account and selling my house to stay on the medication. It was not a miracle for me, and I am not one of those who can use one .5mg pill every couple days, unfortunately.

Related Reading: imodium

Comment from: texas1970, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 27

I have struggled with extreme stomach pains with diarrhea for quite a few years. Doc FINALLY put me on Lotronex. Granted, it's only been about a week and a half, but oh my! I'm already 1000% better. Had some stomach cramping within the first two days of starting the drug, but now that seems to have disappeared. I love this drug! Being cautiously optimistic though!!

Related Reading: diarrhea | lotronex

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 02

I have had IBS for over 25 yrs. and this is a miracle drug. I am aware that there are some risks that come with this drug, but I am not willing at this time to give them up. Recently I have been diagnosed with colon ulcers, but my doctor assured me that it is not from taking Lotronex. I have researched it and I will continue with the drug. I have my life back again....

Comment from: tc, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 25

it works better than anything I have tried,am curious if other males are using it since it has only been tested on women