Lunesta

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 04

After 4 years (and several other medications) of only averaging 2-3 hours sleep every 2-3 days (Obviously omitting periods of extreme fatigue hospitaliztions when drug induced sleep was used). My Dr. told me to try the 3mg version of Lunesta. From the first day and for almost 3 months now I have averaged 7-9 hours sleep every day feeling totally refreshed and rested and with 10 times the energy I had before I started using it. I have experienced no detrimental side effects from it and contrary to one of the common side effects I now actually have a heightened sex drive because my body isn't completely exhausted.

Related Reading: fatigue | lunesta

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 18

I've tried other sleep aids and this one is OK as tne next but it sure leaves a really bad taste in my mouth about 20 minutes after I take it. It's odd really - I only notice the bad taste if I drink something (even water tastes bitter) But it beats not sleeping!

Comment from: purplern, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

If I take this RIGHT before bed, it does a fine job. If I take it more than 1/2 hour before bed, it is like I have not taken anything at all. My biggest complaint is that it leaves a horrible taste in my mouth that will last into the next day. I do like it over something like ativan because it does not make me feel "hungover" in the morning. If I have the required 7-8 hours to devote to sleep, I always feel very well rested in the morning.

Related Reading: ativan

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 02

Started taking lunesta after waking up 3 or 4 times a night and sometimes having difficulity falling asleep to begin with. Mind racing etc. Was feeling unrested and tired the next day before I started taking the meds. First prescribed ambien and could fall asleep but still woke up during the night. Prescribed lunesta 3mg and went to sleep quickly. sleep like a rock. 7 to 8 hours. Nothing wakes me up. I do wake up a little groggy but a nice cup of hot coffee fixes that. Don't know why everyone complains about the taste... not experiencing that. I do however wake up with and sometimes have a headache for a while after taking it. Sometimes for a day or 2.

Related Reading: lunesta | ambien | headache

Comment from: LynnHtoo, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 19

Lunesta has been the only sleep aid that's worked for me for 8+ years. Ambien gave me heart palpitations & other drugs like Resoril would put me to sleep but I'd still wake up after a few hours & be wide awake. Even before Lunesta had a generic come out, the cost was worth it to me - no way to work full time (40-60 hrs per week) on little to no sleep! I have the after taste, too, but have found brushing my tongue as well as my teeth just after taking the pill greatly reduces it. I also use Biotene mouthwash, which has a very pleasant taste & seems to help counteract the weird taste the pill causes. Best sleep of my life these past nearly 10 years!

Related Reading: ambien | palpitations

Comment from: J Elizabeth, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 24

I suffered from insomnia for a year, then got pregnant and was breastfeeding so couldn't take anything for another two years. So for three years I probably managed 3-4 hours of sleep a night. I finally took Lunesta, took it just for a week (am very wary of developing any kind of habit or dependency on any drug), and my insomnia has been gone ever since. It was almost like sleeping on Lunesta for even just a brief period of a week rebooted my system and restarted my sleeping. I compare it to restarting your computer when it freezes. I had zero side effects, no grogginess, even when I couldn't get the whole eight hours because of my baby. My health insurance would only pay for Ambien, which I had tried a long time ago -- it didn't keep me asleep and it also made me really drowsy the next day -- so I opted to pay cash for Lunesta. It was well worth it. I write this review because I avoided trying sleeping pills for a long time because I either had bad experiences in the past or was concerned about not being able to sleep without it and becoming hooked. I write this review for those who share the same wariness -- you don't have to choose between becoming hooked on a drug or suffering from insomnia. Take Lunesta, stop your suffering (insomnia is so awful), and go back to enjoying life.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: unconqueredmind, Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 23

LUNESTA WONT WORK IF YOU HAVE FOOD IN YOUR STOMACH I don't understand why doctors don't advise this but the effectiveness of Lunesta/Zopiclone is DRASTICALLY effected by when you last ate. I find this sleeping med to be superb for helping me get to sleep. I've used it 5-6 times a month for the last 4 years and when I take it on an empty stomach it has never failed me. However if I've eaten within 3-hours.. nothing happens. I try and leave a 5-hr gap to be sure.

Related Reading: lunesta

Comment from: nancybow, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 04

I have used Lunesta for about 3 years now for sleep issues. I have had no problems with sleep since taking it and I do not have the "hung over" feeling when I awake as I did with other prescriptions. Taking Lunesta has improved the quality of my life!

Related Reading: lunesta

Comment from: supermom, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 01

I have been taking Lunesta 1.5-3mg per night for about 5 years. Before Lunesta I tried every imaginable sleep aid out there...over-the-counter, natural and prescription inlcuding Ambien. Recently I tried Doxipen and Trazodone 25mg- 100mg, hoping that I could spend less money and also take care of some anxiety associated with peri-menopause. Still, none of these can compare to Lunesta for me. I finally am giving in to Lunesta! No more fighting it, I don't care that it is expensive...it is worth every penny to have a sleep med that works with no side effects for me. Everyone is different, but if you find the med that just works, take it and quit worrying about it! Good sleep priceless. Only you know what it is like to walk a mile in your shoes!

Related Reading: ambien | trazodone | anxiety

Comment from: portorange, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 10

I get a great night sleep, if I awaken with discomfort or to urinate I can readily fall back to sleep, not becoming frustrated or angry as with other meds I've tried. I also love the fact that I don't have the strange and stressful dreams common with other meds. No hangover after 6 hours sleep is another blessing.

Comment from: LOVE LIFE & LIVE, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 20

I just started taking Lunesta for the first time yesterday 8-19-2011 and i was precribed this Med through a "Sleep Study" which i had recently.I've tried many sleeping meds for years "Ambien" "Dyphenhendramine"Rozerem"Amitriptiline"Doxepin"Temazapin"ect.And even though i took these sleeping meds and Over-The-Counter Drugs i must say that "Amitriptiline" worked really great without any next day drowsiness,but when i had increase my dose from 25mg to 50mg i knew that it was time to try something else to help me sleep alot longer then off and on every 2-3 hours at night.Trying Lunesta did leave a nasty taste for the first time but i just drank some grape juice and in eventually went away and also i slept alot longer and woke up refreshed the next morning which was terrific.I may continue to take this for a while and watch and see how my mind reacts to it,and who knows 5-6 hours of good sleep is alot better then 2-4 hours especially when you have something to do the next day.If you're taking other "Meds" for other conditions,check with your Pharmacy to see if this will lessen any side affects with others that you may take.And one more important thing not to do is drink and "Alchohol"drinks when taking this or any other because your body may produce all times of abnormal behaviors and thoughts plus you may not function like you would hop to.So be careful of that when taking any "Medication".And also since foods are filled with different types of chemicals as well like "Pesticides" "Colorings"and "Preservatives" to keep the shelflife longer,be aware that whatever you take can have all types of reactions to your body make-up.What ever you do,just be wise and do the wise thing for you to be yourelf using sound wisdom and intelligence.I hope this info has helped you to a point and also "Don't Take Any Kind Of Street Drug" with any prescribed or over-the-counter meds or you will most definitely expierience all sorts of "Side-Effects" or a short life. Take care of yourself :)

Related Reading: rozerem | doxepin

Comment from: glorybound, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 19

I've taken Lunesta for two years; it has worked wonderfully for me but lately the 3mg my dr. prescribed isn't putting me to sleep. I honestly thought my new bottle was placebo's. Maybe I am just becoming immune. Just too bad there isn't something out there to CURE chronic sleep problems!! It seems to be epedemic in proportion.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 01

I have taken Lunesta off and on for 2 years and it works wonderfully. Absolutely no side effects. My insurance has now said I must try generic Ambien. I have and I hate it! I feel groggy and fuzzy headed the entire next day even after 8 hours of sleep. With Lunesta I felt wide awake and refreshed even if I only slept 6 hours.

Sleep Disorders: Foods That Help Sleep or Keep You Awake See Slideshow
Comment from: Omg123, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 10

One of the better sleeping agents I've tried for my sleep issues next to benzodiazepines, witch really aren't ment for insomnia for most people (but works anyway), And Ambien (witch sometime caused sleep walking). To date lunesta may have a bad taste, but to me that's a small henderance and the benefits far exceed the negatives. Also, knowing that their not as addictive As other sleep aids makes me feel better to. I have tried everything from anti-psychotics, to benzodiazepines and in each way their were horable side effects. I am very happy with this medication overall. And plan to stay on it until my sleep issues are back under control. Hopefully soon as I do not like to depend on medications long term and have usually been able to work my spouts of insomnia out along with my dr.

Related Reading: benzodiazepines | insomnia | ambien

Comment from: chrispuch, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 01

This has been my first otc sleeping pill. After reading all of the reviews, and my dr's recommendation, I opted for this vs. the ambien. My Blue Cross doesn't cover this and they wanted me to take the Ambien, but no thank you to all of those side effects. I do not take every night but when I do, I fall quickly asleep and stay asleep for up to 7 hours. Yes, this pill does leave a bad taste in your mouth, until you brush your teeth the next day, but who cares if you get a great nights sleep and don't wake up all groggy. I highly recommend this rx.

Related Reading: ambien

Comment from: Trebuchet, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 09

Lunesta is THE BOMB! I had to pay $90, and it left a funny taste in my mouth, and it didn't knock me out. BUT, every day, regardless of how much sleep I got (3 hr, 5 hrs, 8 hrs), I felt like I'd slept a peaceful 8 hrs and woke up happy. NO side effects. I later tried Ambien because it was FREE on my insurance, but one dose left me feelng nauseated and dizzy, the sleep wasn't as good, and all the next day I felt like a zombie, stayed nauseated, and got a righteous headache. I feel *bad* on Ambien. So I'm HAPPILY going back to the $90 Lunesta and just not worrying about sleep anymore; Lunesta WORKS. (Tip: don't take Lunesta way too early.)

Related Reading: lunesta | headache

Comment from: donnaw, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been on Lunesta since the drug trials. I have gone from 3 mg per night, to 4.5 then last week 6 w/my dr's approval. I'm feeling very tired the next day. I guess I need to try something new. Already tried Ambien, neurontin and a bunch of others. Istarted using sleep meds about 7 years ago when I was only sleeping 3 or 4 hours per night.

Related Reading: neurontin

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 17

i had to try 3 other sleep meds before my insurance would allow me to get lunesta. i took it three nights in a row to get it in my system and now i only need to take it once or twice a week. the only bad thing is i sometimes get cotton mouth. other than that i wouldnt try anything else. it really helps shut my brain off when i am going to sleep.

Related Reading: lunesta

Comment from: buttercup, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 01

It has left a nasty taste in my mouth and sinus from 20 min. from taking it until about 1pm the next day. I still wake up through out the night but have gotten better sleep in between waking up.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 21

I would have a higher rating for it, but experiencing difficulty drinking water. The unpleasant taste does not seem to affect flavored drinks but makes water taste very tinny.

Comment from: specialteach, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 24

It takes a little longer to fall asleep than with Ambien, but I like that I remember everything before I fall asleep. The taste is such a turn off, so I started taking it with applesauce and I don't have that problem anymore.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 09

I have had insomnia on and off for over 3 years. I've tried natural supplements and Ambien CR, neither of which worked. Now I'm on Lunesta 3mg and have no trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Also, I feel rested when I wake up - not groggy at all. I haven't had any noticeable side effects either.

Related Reading: insomnia | ambien cr | lunesta

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 28

Let me just tell you. I sleep now. Have been struggling with insomnia for years so hopefully I can take Lunesta as long as I need it. It took 2 nights for it to work. Now Lunesta puts me to sleep every night. I take half of a 3ml pill and yes the taste is bitter but oh so worth it. Thank you Lunesta:)

Comment from: Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 17

First of all, this medicine does work. There are side effects for everybody. It works for me, so if you have your own opinion, please just say how YOUR experience was. Please do NOT say "DONT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!" This is why people don't like coming to this site. Explain your experience and move on. Thank you.

Comment from: Survivor, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 26

I have PTSD, with horrible insomnia, at times. I was unable to fall asleep at night, and it became so severe, I wouldn't fall asleep until I was physically exhausted. This drug has allowed me to resume my normal, beloved schedule of sleeping from 11pm to 7am. The reason I marked it as not a "5" on effectiveness, is because it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to "kick in" for me. However, let this be a lesson to those who wait to seek treatment. The longer you wait, the harder and longer it will take to effectively treat your symptoms; whether they are simply insomnia, or due to another issue like PTSD. I've been taking it for two weeks, and it's begun taking less time to begin working. I AM AN EXCEPTION. Please take this medication when you are ready to LAY DOWN IN BED IMMEDIATELY UPON TAKING IT, as it is usually effective VERY QUICKLY after taking it! I don't want anyone to get hurt because it takes longer for me to feel its effects.

QUESTION