Lupron

Comment from: cheryl, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 18

Lupron caused severe depression, fatigue, joint pain and very disrupted sleep and my father committed suicide after three injections that a nurse practioner gave him for prostate cancer. This drug us poison. There is a petition against this drug with Congress. He also had a bad heart and lupron causes cardiac arrest so the nurse never should have given him this drug. This drug has many complaints against it from patients, researchers, etc. Don't take this drug at all.

Related Reading: lupron | fatigue | prostate cancer

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 04

I have lost all of the hair under my arms and on my arms and legs Is this a chemo therapy drug?

Comment from: ready4menapause, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 04

Prescribed this drug due to acute endometriosis. Had hot flashes, night sweats, and weigh gain. Also, haven't had the pain. Highly satisfied with this treatment.

Related Reading: endometriosis | hot flashes | night sweats

Comment from: thabel1131, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 08

After a radical prostatectomy and my PSA increased somewhat. My Dr said there maybe some stray cancer cells present. I took the 3 month injection 09/01/09 and my life has been pure misery since. Went back to Dr and he advised me my PSA was >0.01 so would not need another injection. Told him would never take again my body and mind might not survive. I have been a paraplegic for 25 years and this med robbed me of most of my muscle strength. The bone pain in areas where I had no sensation is getting unbearable. The pain has caused many changes in mood and interaction with friends and family. I have also lost motivation for basic everyday task.

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: dawnie5270, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 29

I have experienced a lot of tiredness, mild night sweats, a couple days of depression here and there, a headache lasting a couple days, an upset stomach in the evenings, weight gain and acne. No symptoms that were major and nothing that made me want to stop taking the mediciation. It is part of my IVF cycle/treatment and I will only need to be on this medication for about 3-4 weeks.

Related Reading: headache | acne

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 18

I go from hot sweats to extremely cold in a very few minutes No other side effects. I took the 6 month shot and have been on it 3 months.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 08

Questionable effectiveness after 3 treatments (9 months) withexternal radiation PSA is rising again. Side effects (bone density loss, weight gain, various metobolistic anonomalies) i would not take it again

Comment from: miimii, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 15

Had 6months of once a month shot of lupron to shrink uterine fibroid. i experienced severe hot flashes, depressio, hair loss and darkening of my skin especially on my face.But the most important thing is that it shrunk my 22cm fibroid to 15cm and made the surgery safer and easier,i had a positive attitude though and i take all the side effects as mild changes that will go with time, and most importantly,i exercised regularly and was eatind lots of fruits, veggie and soy milk.

Related Reading: lupron | hair loss

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 26

Hot flashes, minor mood swings (PMS like), trouble sleeping.

Related Reading: hot flashes

Comment from: Expat, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 08

4 1/2 yrs after da Vinci radical prostatectomy PSA started to rise from <0.01 to 0.5 to 0.9 (possible mis-read as it was 0.6 a day or two after the 3 month shot a month ago. Now after the first month it is down to <0.01 with another test in a month just prior to probably starting radiation. Injection was below and behind hip (side of buttock). Next day it felt like a bad bruise but no pain after 3 or 4 days. Only symptom seems to be occasional hot flashes but I am California and it has really hot for several weeks! Also prescribed, in parallel, daily tablet of 1x 50mg Bicalutamide.

Comment from: Valdez73, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 14

Lupron makes me weak to the point where I cannot walk more than 100 paces. I get out of breath doing the simplest household things. It's hard for me to stand for more than 20 minutes. When I accidentally miss the Lupron shot, I feel strong and can walk much further and do many simple chores without tiring. My attitude is improved; I am more optimistic and cheerful. I dislike the drug intensely but it keeps my PSA down to about 24. I seem to have no other choice. I want to stop it but if I do I know my bone mets will increase. I am trying to work out a schedule where I don't have to get the Elgard every 4 weeks. Perhaps every 6 weeks would work as well. I am extremely sensitive to meds and take much lower doses than prescribed of many other meds and they work as well. I will reduce the Elgard to every 5 weeks and then every 6 weeks and perhaps every 7 weeks if my PSA doesn't go much higher.

Related Reading: lupron

Comment from: Rene12985, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 24

After not getting pregnant and stage 5 endo. I started lupron march 9th. Before my first shot. my cycle was very heavy and i had lots of clots. I was also so down and depressed. I was always upset and mad. Since my first shot, I have had no side effects. My cycle this month was not be heavy and have had just one little clot. Even on my heavy day no clots just the one at the end of my cycle. I am getting back to my old self. I was so worried with all the stuff I have read about side effects but so far my first month has been good. All the stuff I have read women said the first month was bad and some said so bad they stopped lupron. I don't feel this way and I'm so far pleased. I just hope that my endo does go away or away enough so I can finally get pregnant. I'll post again next month! I don't want ppl not to take it becasue what they have read, it scared me. I went ahead and tried lupron becasue it was my only hope. The doctor said a 3rd surgery would just scar me up more and lower my chances of getting pregnant. She said lupron would give me the best chance. I had nothing to lose. So Yeah! Im pleased so far and I hope I stay happy with it and pray I get pregnant.

Related Reading: getting pregnant | lupron

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 13

Sweats, mood swing, lime salty taste in my mouth. Been going on for 6 months. I beleive it is form having this shot.

Comment from: Doug, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 31

Prostate removed 2001; Gleason score 7. PSA zero until 2013, when it started to increase. Started quarterly Lupron injections mid-2013. Testosterone and PSA have been zero since then. Fatigue, awakening every 2-3 hrs. at night to urinate and hot flashes are difficult, but overall I consider myself lucky. Daily Vitamin E seems to help hot flashes. Libido and urinary retention were affected by my prostate removal, so are not new issues.

Related Reading: testosterone | fatigue | hot flashes

Comment from: Me, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 06

Libido is gone, am tired, joints ache,muscles hurt,hot flashes.

Comment from: Driller7530, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 21

I have almost run my complete course on this drug, i have had the night sweats, and hot flashes, megace took care of that, cancer is gone thanks to external Radiation. i have suffered 4 heart attacks, some heart damage, and arterio-sclerosis,Since starting the treatment possible connection? I do not know. since my Cancer was Very aggressive, very Advanced, Inoperable, I think it was a fair swap they give me 5-7 more years, before recurrence or metastisation

Related Reading: night sweats | megace | cancer

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 24

I did not have severe side effects .

Comment from: Samsonite, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 30

I took my second Lupron shot today and the only side effects I have had to deal with thus far are the headaches and the burning when injecting. Other than that, the nightmare side effects I read about when I was first told of this option have not happened, but even if they had, if it makes it where my hubby and I can get preggers.. It's would be worth it. TTC for 2 years

Related Reading: lupron

Comment from: Kaiti, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 28

My doctor suggested Lupron therapy for 3 months to help treat my endometriosis, before doing IVF. I am going on my third month of Lupron injections and I feel great. My husband was extremely skeptical of the drug at first because he was reading everyone's reviews online. He thought taking the Lupron was not worth the side-effects. To be honest, the only side-effect I'm having are hot flashes and they're not bad at all. (It's also the middle of winter in northern Wisconsin, so it's actually nice to be hot sometimes!) I would suggest if you have concerns about the drug, to speak with your doctor. My doctor told me that there are other medications that can be prescribed if you have negative side-effects from Lupron. I definitely think it's worth taking.

Related Reading: endometriosis | hot flashes

Comment from: JMN, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 30

Side Effects with headache and mood (depression). Had some funky dreams too. Overall did work so can't complain other than NOT liking needles.

Related Reading: headache | depression

Comment from: topaz, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 14

I have had sever hot flashes and night sweats as a result of my second injection. I have also had some really up and down mood swings. However, on a bright note I have had less pain with my endometriosis than before.

Related Reading: night sweats

Comment from: LoneRanger, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 07

This drug has caused my dear friend to have osteopenia and thyroid disorders as well as permanent disability and continual pain. All of this is medically verified by M.D. doctors. I personally have spoken with a woman who is only 35 years old, who now walks with a cane, after Lupron. Prior to Lupron she was active and healthy other than endometrisis. This drug is pure poison check out Youtube see a ABC News Story from Las Vegas. Further, it is category X for pregnancy and can harm the fetus. Why are they giving it for IVF? There are over 12,000 MedWatch reports about this hideous drug at FDA. There are far more risks than benefits. It has a 0% cure rate for Endometriosis and a 98% adverse event rate and it is ONLY a temporary pain reliever that shuts down your entire endocrine systems. Run away from your doctor if he suggests this nightmare. This drug destroys the human body!!!

Related Reading: osteopenia | thyroid disorders | pregnancy

Comment from: Mercy, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 05

Hi, i have experienced lot of depression and after third shot i had a delayed periods and now in 50 day and i have no signs of getting periods. Iam upset because iam not able to get pregnant.

Comment from: MomWannaBe, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 08

Some burning & bruising at injection sites. Not too bad in the side effects department, but I've had some headaches and am tired, but can't sleep well. Is all worth it if this helps me get the results I want tho!

Comment from: sjskt3, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 31

Currently on my second week of taking the drug as part of an IVF cycle. Up to now, the only side effects I have experienced are night sweats and a few moderate headaches but nothing more than that.

FDA Logo