Lupron Depot

Comment from: on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 09

Fifteen years ago, my husband was given 5 years to live because his cancer had spread to his lymph nodes. He has been on Lupron depot for the past 14 years. He has also been taking Casodex for the past 10 years or when it first came out. He takes naps when necessary but he is still very active. He has complained this past year of bone pain and some dizziness. My husband is 84 years old and takes care of 15 steers, 2 horses and 2 dogs. Last year he stacked 100 bales of hay by himself. He has a strong faith in God, a positive attitude and a sense of humor. I'm sure the Lupron and Casodex also helps. He believes in quality of life and not quantity of life. I hope this review helps other advanced cancer patients.

Related Reading: cancer | lupron depot | casodex

Comment from: henry, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 20

this medicine has worked for me for the last 2-years.

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 25

weight gain,fatigue and trouble sleeping have been my side effects. Hot flashes initially but lessened after about three injections

Related Reading: fatigue | hot flashes

Comment from: dmac, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 16

The only measure of it's effectiveness is a PSA level of >1.4 during a 21 month period. My weight gain is ~20# with restless sleep.

Comment from: jim, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 30

tiredness - lethargic

Comment from: rappski, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 27

Was a very hairy man but have lost all chest and back hair as well as hair in my arm pits. Have lost all urges of sexual desire along with erection problems and also the possibility of erection size by 2-3". Sometimes have sleepless nights and have resorted to natural sleeping pills

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 18

I am on the third 4 month dose of this drug.My PSA has gone from 19.5 before trearment to.05 after the first 4 month shot and to .02 after the second 4 month dose . Iam now on the third 4 month dose and will have my PSA checked after I give blood on 7/2.

Comment from: dd, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 06

severe muscle cramps, moderate bone loss in less than 6 months of use, severe GI problems, weight loss, stomach bleeding, anemia. may be great for some, but if you have any allergies or any kind of stomach sensitivity, WATCH OUT! had to stop after one year, side effects worse than disease.

Related Reading: muscle cramps | anemia

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 15

Been on for over a year. Lost sexual desire, hot flashes, weight gain, PSA down after 1st 4 month shot and 44 radiation treatments from 21+ to 3. Tired, headaches and other pain. Mood swings and depression.

Related Reading: hot flashes | depression

Comment from: Lawman004, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 05

I too am having severe muscle pain and joints pain such as the finger joints. I am tired all the time but I keep moving, and I do not stop throughout the day. I hate getting out of bed because my body is so sore and painful stiffness has set in the joints. I just had my second four month shot, and I have unwelcome hot flashes and just currently experiencing some GI issues. I was always very sexually active, and that flew out the door real fast, and it has me very upset about the situation. My first five weeks on the Lupron showed only a few side affects such as hot flashes; then all heck broke lose! I am told that I will be on Lupron for a total of 18 months in combination of 45 radiation treatments. I am concerned about the residual chemical still in my system when it is compounded with the next shot. In essence, I have to wait and see as this stuff seems not to hit me until the first several weeks pass; then it's game on... :-(

Related Reading: lupron

Comment from: aggimo62, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 02

my husband had prostate removed 1993 and is now 72 years old. he had stage 4 cancer. since taking the lupron injections he has had some unexplained episodes of intermitant head pain (shooting shocks he calls them) that last from an hour to a day. he also began having seriously high fevers, 103-104, and non responsiveness that got him to the ER several times. does this sound familiar to anyone else? we need help.

Related Reading: cancer | lupron

Comment from: juanita, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 06

fatigue/weakness/dizziness/loss of appitite/irritability

Related Reading: fatigue | dizziness

Comment from: Rwhtman, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 05

Impotence,increased bone pain ,extreme mood swings, Night swets,along with sleeplessness only positive is my Psa is lower after 2nd treatment.

Comment from: Michael, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 13

The hot flashes are a serious nuisance, but better than the alternative of no treatment.

Related Reading: hot flashes

Comment from: georgyporgy123, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 14

went from getting up 10 times at night to only once and several slept through 6 hrs.

Comment from: Artl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

Have Been using lupron for 15 years, and psa is less than 0.1

Comment from: Dolittle, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 24

PSA 25, Gleeson 7 Had 6 month shot one month before starting radiation. PSA after 42 treatments 0.14- PSA one month later and before 2nd 6 month shot 0.12 today. It did seem to turn me into a somewhat grumpy moss covered rock with no patience, stamina, some hot flashes and seems like dozens of other side effects but it was evened out by lack of interest and memory about bad things that faded quickly. Can't really confirm that it is helping but just consider it as my personal little stealth fighter. Mine is considered a presumptive disease caused by Agent Orange due to service in Viet Nam and is usually more aggressive.

Comment from: BNone, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 31

My Gleason 6 & 7 (2 spots in prostate) but told I had early malignancy. This one 4 month inj. did lower my PSA from 1.7 to .06, however, I felt tired after the 2nd month. When I finally started checking my BP during those times, my Blood pressure was tanking. This happened several times during each day, going from 81/52 to 72/44, 60/40, 62/43, 71/46 and then back to near 107/68 which is still not normal for me (133/80). Webb MD mentions abnormally low BP as rare side effect, however, we could not find a doctor who had ever heard of hypotension as a side effect. I am dizzy, blurred vision, weak/faint during these episodes. It has restricted my activities totally. When I do anything that requires stooping/bending I have an episode. Has anyone else checked their BP during their weak/fainting episodes? Could be low BP. How long does lupron stay in the system as I am 6 months past the one injection and still having Low BP, hot flashes, blurred vision, tiredness dizziness, etc? There was a Heart Attack/stroke warning added by the FDA last October. I wonder what caused that to be added at such a late date.

Related Reading: fainting | heart attack | stroke

Comment from: bowwowman, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 12

Night sweat's tired all the time and bad shortness of breath

Comment from: BeeCee, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 05

Hot flashes; heavy sweats, day and night; complete loss of libido; ED; sudden weight gain - developed "man boobs"; must continue treatment for the rest of your life.

Related Reading: hot flashes

Comment from: boiler man, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 13

I just received my first injection on 8-11-11 and also started casodex 50mg the same day.

Related Reading: casodex

Comment from: Cal, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 10

I've taken these injections 4 times in the past. In June 2010 my PSA was 0.2; went down to 0.1 after 4 months; went down to non-readable after 4 months; went up to 0.2 again this month (June 2011). Originally, prior to treatment of radiation (about 12 years ago), my PSA was 9.6.

Comment from: lupron, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 01

only had 1 treatment so far

Comment from: yah, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed with endometriosis. The side effects of this medicne began after 3 days and progressively got worse. My mood swings effected my family and my work. I feel like I am demented and everything I do is a frustrating task that I cannot complete. I am only on my second shot and cannot stand whats happening.

Related Reading: endometriosis

Comment from: whatajourney, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 25

Hot flashes every hour, night sweats almost unbearable, gaining weight about 1.5 lbs per week (even on diet). Tried Effexor for hot flashes -- it worked but the side effects were worse than the hot flashes. Will likely not have another Lupron injection -- will try using only Casodex + Avodart.

Related Reading: hot flashes | night sweats | effexor