Lupron Depot 11.25

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 26

I took 2 three month injections for endometrosis. I had severe headaches and abdominal pain. When the injection wore off at the end of my last shot, I had severe headaches, dizzyness, hot flashes, mood swings, and fatigue.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | hot flashes | fatigue

Published: September 21

I have severe endometriosis and had two shots of the lupron. It worked for the pelvic pain well enough after the first shot. I had lots of hot flashes and mood swings. When the firs shot started to wear off i started to get migraines really bad. After the second shot, my pain came back full throttle.

Related Reading: endometriosis | lupron | pelvic pain

Comment from: Endogirl, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 17

The side effects can be rough in the beginning, but there are ways to help. Add back therapy has worked wonders for me :) Hot and cold flashes are very slim and other side effects are nonexistant. I highly recommend this drug to anyone who is suffering from endometriosis! I am only 25 and have been living with endometriosis for 10 years, and believe me the shot is worth it! Before Lupron I had 5 laproscopic surgeries for cyst removal, and 1 surgery that resulted in the loss of an ovary, tube, and 25% of my colon.. So, to me its absolutely worth it. But, talk to your doctor about ALL SIDE EFFECTS and PRECAUTIONS while on this drug. My doctor and I discussed Lupron for months before I made my decision. And too often, we let our doctors give us drugs that we don't know what they are for and how to properly use them. Do not be this way about just Lupron, use common sense everytime they write you a prescription! And do research as well. A lot of people on here blame their doctors when the only real person they can blame is themself.

Related Reading: lupron | cyst

Comment from: anyonomous, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 06

This medication had horrible side effects. The hot flashes are very uncomfortable. Also my muscles, joints, and bones have been horribly effected, to the point where I am on long term pain medications. I am also having to limit my physical activites, like having a good work - out at the gym. My last work out session caused me to get a sprain in my general shoulder area, this has happened twice.

Comment from: kathy U, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 20

I am 48 and have had 1 shot of lupron.Not really sure why Dr gave it to me.I had a partial hyst.13yrs ago and had some cysts on my cervix that showed up in a CT scan. I have severe scarring from 5 adominal surgerys and dr felt a complete hysterectomy was too dangerous,so gave me the shot. I have had nothing but horrible hot flashes,no sex drive,night sweats,mood swings,bodyaches etc....this drug has made me miserable.I would love to know how long this stays in a persons system! I am about to go crazy! PLEASE if you take this shot do lots of research! it is very expensive! definately did not work for me!

Related Reading: night sweats

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 02

TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS_ DO NOT TAKE

Comment from: annie, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 18

I took this medication for a massive fibroid that had completely distorted my uterus and was larger than a grapefruit. The Lupron reduced the size of the tumor by 70% making laproscopic possible. I had one IM injection a month for 3 months...side effects were terrible but after having to get blood transfusions because of 45 day menstrual cycles it was all worth it. The side effects that I had included: hot flashes, nausea, insomnia (i slept for 16 hours total in 3 months), and muscle pain but after the meds stopped I started coming back to myself almost immediately however, i am still having some questionable nerve pain and pain from an enlarged liver? My Dr. made it clear from the beginning that this med would shock my body/mind into an instant menopausal state. Knowing this from the beginning helped to cope with the onset of the side effects. Even after all of the side effects, I would take this treatment again becaue of it's effectiveness. 45 day periods...lucky i'm not writing this from prison! Good Luck

Related Reading: grapefruit | insomnia | liver

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 21

PLEASE READ THIS: I have stage 2 endometriosis and had 2 Laparoscopies. I have growth on my uteris, blatter, ovaries, falopian tubes, basically all over. Lupron was like a last resort because of all the warnings against it. But no b.c's worked and my doc wouldnt precribe pain meds(I wish he could feel what I felt!)So after only the first couple months on Lupron, I've gone from being active and healthy- to now feeling like I have the body of an 80yr old. My back constantly hurts, my knees ache, I get hot flashes which is humiliating, and the most terrifying one is that I'm starting to have some short term memory loss. I'm only 23 and I feel like I ruined my life by taking this medicine. I'm stopping this med, I'd rather suffer and see what life has in store for me and try alternative methods of relief, than take another shot of that ever again! To those taking it, I hope you don't experience what I did; to those who are in similar situations, I wish you the best and I hope you feel better once off the drug. And just a strong caution to those considering taking this. I hope this helps atleast one person :)

Related Reading: endometriosis | lupron | hot flashes

Comment from: escottt, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 02

There are side effects that you should discuss with doctor. For prostate treatment, I understand "flare" can be reduced be preceding treatment with Casodex. I had pain around site of 2nd injection, which went away after a few days. Fatigue is main side effect now.

Related Reading: casodex | fatigue

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 27

I started this medication for endometrosis, I had hot flashes as well. the side effects wernt so bad but it has been almost a year and my cycle hasn't came back. Is this normal?

Comment from: Cinema, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 20

Took it for Endometriosis I feel this Medication possibly gave me a stroke. Stay away from it.

Related Reading: endometriosis | stroke

Comment from: ShannyQ, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 07

After reading the reviews I did not want to take this drug. It took me months of speaking with my doctor and husband before I decided to go for it. I have endometriosis, i've had 2 laparoscopic surgeries in the last 3 years. Im taking Lupron Depot 11.25 mg injection + Add-back and I FEEL GREAT! I have no more pain. After several months I still haven't noticed any side effects, I am going about my life better than before.

Related Reading: lupron depot 11.25

Comment from: Rachael , 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 24

I've had endo for over 15 years/ 3 laperoscopies- I would say a severe case. I have been on long term pain mngmnt for it as well just to function at my job. It took my doc almost a year to convince me on this shot. I admit it did what it was intended to do. I only did the 3 month shot - which should've worn off in the last 2 wks or so. I'm back on Lybrel - year round BCP now - due to the shot side effects. I have a new found side effect for menopausal women who don't have the choice to stop side effects. The name "hot flash" doesn't do it justice. Feeling your being microwaved from the inside out and not knowing how long it will last - excruciating! It can't be good for your body to have such dramatic constant body temp spikes. It's like you can't regulate your temp. After reading your stories I am now able to link the other side effects - swelling, migraines as I am weaning off, mood swings/less sex drive. Anxiety for sure - If your taking this to treat long term endo - I'm sure you agree it's worth it if done short term to stop the pain & bleeding, not to mention the literal damage you do to your femal organs EVERY time you cycle. I use to think after I have kids I want a hysterectomy so I don't have to deal w/ endo nemore. I now know that I will do whatever it takes to supress my cycles and keep my plumbing as long as possible so that I don't have these hot flashes!! Your stories have helped me immensely and I hope my story will someone also. Hang in there - keep in mind why your on it, and know that (for the most part) your doc is doing this because the side effects beneficially outweigh the condition for your overall health and well being. Good luck to all :)

Related Reading: lybrel | anxiety

QUESTION

Endometriosis occurs deep inside the uterus. See Answer
Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 30

The first few days I had very severe bone pain and my dr. said she had never heard of that as a side effect. After I got past that, I've had minimal problems. I do have to take a hormone pill every day so I don't have hot flashes and mood swings, so I haven't experienced any of that at all. I only had the injection a month ago.

Related Reading: hot flashes

Comment from: lupron depot (3 month), 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 06

I am 35 years old and recently underwent laproscopic surgery to remove endometriosis scar tissue. My obgyn suggested the 3 month injection. I was very reluctant after reading some of the reviews. However, was told that since I was very active, I would probably not experience any of the symptoms. Since April, my quality of life has suffered tremendously. I experienced body aches and pain, hot flashes/night sweats, mood changes, depression and extreme fatigue! My three month treatment is over now and I have yet to start my cycle. My doctor has given me a boost of progesterone in hopes of reversing the drug. I cannot stress enough...please think twice before taking this drug. It has a horrible experience!

Related Reading: endometriosis | night sweats | depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 30

My doctor recommended this drug as a treatment for my numerous fibroids and prolonged/extremely heavy, painful periods (I had been having a light,constant flow for 6 months interspersed with weeks of heavy, painful flow). I was very hesitant to try this drug after reading the reviews on this site. But I decided I could not continue on living the way I was and went for it. I could not be happier! After two weeks, my period FINALLY stopped. It has been a month and a half since my 1st injection and the only side-effect I've had is occasional, mild hot flashes.

Comment from: Lindsey, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 25. I was diagnosed with moderate/severe endrometreosis after undergoing exploratory surgery for my abdominal pain. I have been using Lupron for about 7 months. I do have excessive hot flashes, mood swings, and lowered sex drive, just like during menopause. I was prepared for all the side effects because of my doctor. And I would have to say that the temporary side effects are better for me than what I was experiencing (the sudden crippling pain, pain during sex, and worst of all the possibilty that I might not be able to have children.) I am however looking forward to when the hot flashes, mood swings, and lowered sex drive will stop, and I am sure my husband is as well.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | lupron | menopause

Comment from: BlueHedgehog, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 04

I took one dose of Lupron for endometriosis, and it not only excaserbated my condition, but severely messed up my mood. I had a mildly heavy period for the whole three months, horrible cramps (worse than when I was off it), and it relapsed my depression. I told my doctor I had mood issues, and he assured me Lupron would not affect my mood. Boy was he wrong: I fell into one of my deepest depressions to date, becoming listless, hopeless, and suicidal--I almost got hospitalized twice while on it. Three days after my dose wore off and I switched to a new medication, my period and cramps stopped (well, mostly) and my depression cleared. IF YOU HAVE ANY HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, OR OTHER MENTAL HEALTH CONDITIONS, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL TAKING LUPRON!!!

Related Reading: anxiety | mental health

Comment from: KTJ10, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 05

I dont care what anyone says, I love the lupron shot! It is the only thing that has taken away the pain and constant heavy bleeding. My only wish is that they come up with something that can be taken continuously and not just in 6 month intervals. Yes I did have side effects like hot flashes and decreased breast size but I would gladly take that over severe pain and constant horrible bleeding!

Related Reading: lupron

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 27

For years I had excruciating menstrual pain. Late last year I was told I have endometriosis. I had a laparoscopy early February but to my surprise I still had horrible pain. My OBGYN suggested lupron. I am always tired, moody, super sensitive, extra emotional, become depressed at times, have constant headaches, experience hot flashes day and night constantly (to the point of no sleep!), gained weight and sex drive is gone! The pill given to reduce side effects only effects hot flashes. DON'T TAKE THIS DRUG. Do your research and you will find may articles about the long term effects and the may lawsuits filed against this drug.

Comment from: paul, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 09

I had my first lupron injection for prostate cancer in February. 2 1/2 months later im having hot flashes constantly. I still have energy to do most active activities. but my sexual feelings have declined. Im also getting radiation treatments.

Related Reading: lupron | prostate cancer | hot flashes

Comment from: nubianqueen7, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 07

I received this injection to stop the extremely heavy periods I had been experiencing for several months. The bleeding was so bad that I had been hospitalized for low hemoglobin, which I had no idea is what was wrong with me. The doctor gave me the shot which he obviously hoped would control the bleeding; it didn't and I bleed even more than before, for three months straight. Finally had a partial hysterectomy but the side effect of this drug was not worth the drama I have been and still deal with over three months later. I was been hoping that there is a way to completely remove it from my system because I got the shot in May and still feel the effect now to which I have to endure the docs telling me how eventually it should subside. Give me a freakin break! I hope it works for some ladies, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you have fibroids and have decided to have a partial hysterectomy. It's simply not worth it.

Comment from: LDavila, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 29

I am a 38-year-old woman who for over five years was misdiagnosed by the many doctors. My coworker referred me to her GYN in 2008. In July 2008 I made an appt to see her. Immediately just based on the symptoms my doctor diagnosed me with Endometriosis. To confirm she ran all the necessary test. She discussed with me my options, and I opted for a partial hysterectomy. I already had three children and we were not having anymore. Because of my workload it was done in December 2008. Once I had my hysterectomy she gave me some options that would help prolong Endometriosis from returning. She was upfront and honest regarding the side effects. Her concern was that since I suffer from Migraines they would be induced. She gave me a 1-month shot first. I did get more headaches than usual but agreed to take the three-month dosage when the next shot was due. In order to help with some of the side affects my doctor also prescribed Norethindrome Acet Tab 5MG Generic for Aygestin Tabs and this has really helped minimize the side affects. Mood swings aren’t an issue because I am on Sarafem 10 mg. Hope this helps ladies.

Related Reading: endometriosis | aygestin | sarafem

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 05

I recently had a laprascopy and a d&c due to having severe endometriosis. I just had the Lupron shot on Friday. I am already having muscle spasms, battling sleep, chills, sweats, etc....I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier this year and with the shot, I feel like this is bringing all of the fibro symptons back! I finally had that under control until I started having major cramping and bleeding (even though I was on the pill). I want to go ahead with the hysterectomy, but due to my age, I have to go through this first. After all that I have reasearched on several websites, I will not due another shot. This one is a 3 month, so I am not sure how the next few months will be. I am ready to get through this and get better. I have 2 kids and would rather have the hysterectomy and get back to feeling "normal". I am still having a lot of pain and it's very difficult to have my dr understand that I am not seeking pain pills, just want something to help make me comfortable and get through work and try to spend time with my family without complaining of how much pain I am in. Giving birth to my kids was not as bad as this! Please do all the research you can and stick to your guns if you don't want to take it! Make your doctor listen!

Related Reading: endometriosis | lupron | muscle spasms

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 07

Thanks to all previous reviewers-it's not just me! I took 3 months of injections to slow my extremely heavy periods and to shrink numerous large fibroid tumors. This treatment was an option given to me since my doctor would not give me a hysterectomy while on blood thinners. I have experienced those overwhelming hot flashes (where you're burning up from the inside out), night sweats/chills (causing insomnia and extreme fatique), unbelieveable pain and swelling in the hands, arms, legs, ankles and soles of feet that I walk like an 90 yr old, huge mood swings and deep depression. I experienced unexpected bleeding since the lst shot in June and had to settle for wearing feminine hygiene products every day since as a precaution. I would not recommend that women take this medication (which is used to treat advanced prostate cancer in men) to treat "other" coditions due to the side effects. It's too late for me, but maybe someone else will benefit from this information. I now have to suffer through the upcoming months wondering when my cycle will suddenly come back, while continuing to wear precautionary pads to avert another embarrassing moment.

Related Reading: night sweats | insomnia | depression