Lupron Depot 7.5

Comment from: annetrice, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 07

The complaints noted by others of this drug are frightening. The night sweats, mood swings, memory loss and others can be dismal, however, the suffering, the pain, uncomfortability and or health hazards of the disorder are just as dismal if not more so. Be informed. This website can help. Be knowledgeable. Be sensible. Be understanding. The Drs/OBs/GYNs/Phys are trying to help (mostly). But,it is ultimately your decision for your treatment. Therefore, it is ultimately YOU to decide how much pain you will have, YOU to choose how much blood you will lose, and YOU who will affect the quality of your life. I decided for the drug. I dealt with the side effects, all of them. (cotton clothing is a godsend for the hot flashes)The drug gave me a chance to THINK and RESEARCH and DECIDE on treatment options that did not require 8-10 weeks of recovery time and a loss of my organs. I am thankful. OH, so very THANKFUL.

Related Reading: night sweats | hot flashes

Comment from: Loving Wife, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 17

I had Endometriosis for 9 years, since I was 20 years old, and during those years dcts in several states prescribed me every kind of pain killer imaginable..I hated that, I felt like I was dependent on those things. None of those dcts took my pains serious. So once I started the Lupron shot Dec 08, I have had nothing but success. I have had the hot flashes, mood swings, low sex drive,no period(not complaining about that one) but all of those are worth it to be pain free! I am in my last 3 months,just got a 3 mo shot, and so far I have been very satisfied. The pain stopped almost instantly after the second shot. As of right now I am very happy with the results, I just hope things continue once this is out of my system. I recommend anyone who has dealt with pain for as long as I have, to at least try it. You wont know how it effects you until you try, it effects everyone differently. Good luck and I hope this helped.

Related Reading: endometriosis | lupron

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 22

The first few months on this were extremly rough for me. Then again I was 16 and going through a chemically enduced menopause. I missed out on a lot of things that normal teenage girls get to do, until my doctor suggested this. I was scared but since I was on Lupron I haven't had any signs of the endometriosis again. I was on it for a year and a half.

Related Reading: menopause | endometriosis

Comment from: Angie, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 12

I have just taken my 3rd Lupron shot. I am 30 years old (with two little boys) and at times feel I am in an 80 year old body. I have always been a very active person. I am working with one of the best doctors. The side effects have been absolutely horrible. My doctor has been treating the side effect with medication which entails 9 different pills twice daily. My side effects consist of joint pain in my ankles, knees and wrists; weakness in my legs which makes it hard to walk up stairs. When I exercise or even vaccum I get realy dizzy. I feel at times my muscles are not there. My anxiety and depression has started to increase. As an instructor at a college I tend to forget allot of things while I am teaching. After the second month I did have releif from the pain caused from the endometriosis. I am pretty much trying to suck it up. My pain before the Lupron was severe, I couldn't sleep, I was so tired, physically I couldn't do the simple things like cleaning house it was too painful. Now I can do the normal things but I have to take breaks and sit after about 45 minutes or I will have severe back pain and then my legs will start to hurt. IF I cannot get through this shot I will be having a hysto. I am hoping this will be helpful to everyone that is thinking of doing the Lupron shot. When making the decision I think it depends on the severity of your pain. Because you get to a point you just want the pain to go away.

Related Reading: anxiety | depression

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 02

I was on lupron for six months. Only side effect was hot flashes, which were SO much easier to deal with than the previous debilitating pain. My periods completely stopped. I loved it, loved it, loved it!

Related Reading: lupron

Comment from: QueenQ, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 27

My GyneOB recommended I take these shots for 6 months following my surgery to remove a HUGE fibroid as well as a cyst on each ovary. During surgery, she discovered that I also had a severe case of endometriosis. She said that the Lupron Depot would help get rid of the endometriosis. Each month I took a shot in a hip (alternating each month). I researched all the possible side effects but still was not prepared for them! The ones that chose me were the lovely hot flashes, night sweats, joint pain, decreased(basically extinct) libido and vaginal dryness. My Dr. suggested that I only take 6 treatments, then take a break, which I did but the side effects lasted at least another 4-6 months! I can't see where the shots even helped! I had to have a laproscopic surgery last year for another cyst removal and the endometriosis was worse than before! I had so much scar tissue that I now have one completely block fallopian tube and one partially blocked. So now, my husband and I are on mission impossible trying to get pregnant (for more than a year now). I also have horrible joint pain still especially in my hips where the treatments were administered. Be very careful, Ladies. I do not recommend this drug. If you absolutely have to take something to treat your issue (like I did), do your research...but also mentally prepare yourself for the life-altering side effects! Or maybe you'll be blessed like some of the other reviewers and have minimal or no side effects at all. :-) Good luck and be blessed.

Related Reading: cyst | lupron depot | vaginal dryness

Comment from: cr72, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 21

I was on the 3month set of injections from June through August. I went through the hot flashes & cold sweats. My memory degraded as I went through this process & it has deteriorated since then. My cramps are still really bad, to the usual point where I have to go to the ER for some sort of relief. A month after the last injection, I saw 4different types of doctors, including a neurologist, & they all stated my dizzy spells, blackouts & severe headaches were in result of the depot lupron injections. My endometriosis is located on a fallopian tube & was told this was my only option. If there is another option for you, I highly encourage you to take that other option. Like the other ladies stated, once you take it, there is no going back. I had no luck with this medication. Hopefully there are some of you out there that do.

Related Reading: hot flashes | lupron | endometriosis

Comment from: khiggie, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 03

After having multiple ovarian cysts, 2 laparoscopies, finding stage IV endo, and having a tube and ovary removed my Dr felt that putting me on the Lupron would be the best thing for me. I have been trying to have children for years with no success. My doctor who performed my last surgery and recommended this drug to me is also a reproductive specialist. He was VERY informative as to what the side effects of this drug are and how my body MAY react. I could tell he was very informed. He let me know that women who have gone through the same procedures as I, then taken this drug, have a much higher success rate for becomming pregnant. I took the shot for 4 months, just ending in September of 2009. During this time I experienced little to no side effects. I prepared myself for the worst, but hoped for the best. No hot flashes, very few mood swings, no depression...however, I did experience slight weight gain. I honestly feel that if you know what you are getting into with the Lupron, that you can control some of the effects...you know WHY this is happening, which to me made it easier. I am now over a month past my last shot and am still feeling great. I have absolutely nothing negative to say in regards to Lupron. I feel that this has been just the start to my wonderful future. I wish everyone luck who takes Lupron, and can only hope that your experience will be as pleasant as mine has been.

Related Reading: ovarian cysts | lupron | depression

Comment from: endoforyears, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 26

My first injection was on oct. 2009, the same day I took it I almost threw up!! I have had night sweats, mood swings, severe depression, real bad memory loss, and I just fell down a flight of stairs over the weekend. I hate this drug and have been doing research and found that there has been some deaths on FDA.gov website, and most of the reviews I read have not been good. I just dont feel like myself and have been very spacey and hard to concentrate. Sex suxs~!!

Related Reading: night sweats

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 09

i had taken this medication for 12 months striaght for treatment of sever endometriosis, i still bleed 365 days they gave me three different types of birth control pills with it and antidepressents. i became crazy and still in pain and still bleeding now its been about 6 years and i am 29 with severe bone loss, migraines, body aches, hair loss, pain and hot flashes and night sweats still, all which have gotten worse starting from when i was on this medication. ive gone without walking for weeks at a time due to bone aches and joint problems now all a result from this drug that noone cares to tell you about, please research this drug before using it and make sure it is what you are looking for or you could be a 29yr old feeling like your 100 too,this drug should be pulled off the market all my results state "drug induced" all info from each speacialist i have gone too states they feel all my problems and symtops are drug induced from a drug taken called lupron, good luck to you all. it relieved some pain fir a short time and now its worse.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: Alicia , 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 08

I was very apprehensive about this drug, but my doctor seemed to be confident in the benefits for my severe endometriosis. I had just had the laporscopy surgery and 3 months later my pain was back full blown. About 48 hrs after my 1st (and last) injection my mood just went hay-wire. I could literally feel myself being so crazy in every aspect of my life. I did have hot flashes but no night sweats. my pain worsened, and has still not eased up. I have IBS, which I keep under control, well the shot just made my bowels go nuts, very uncontrollable no matter what I ate. I would not recommend this shot for treatment, especially considering that it is just a temporary solution. I called my doctor 2 weeks after my 1st injection and said that I wasnt taking another one!

IMAGES

See Images
Comment from: cc37, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 23

I will never recommend lupron depot to my worst enemy. I have not been the same since I got my first shot. I am not planning on getting the second one. My anxieties has turned into panic attacks and my depression got so bad that now I have to be on antidepressants. I have not had a good night sleep since I got the shot and my pains are worse. it is going to be 1 month since I got it. I cannot wait till it is completely out of my system, so I can have a life again. i prefer to live with the endometriosis than try anything that will cause menopause.

Related Reading: lupron depot | panic attacks | depression

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 07

Don't take Lupron because it causes grevious, permanent injuries to many women. Besides, it's only a temporary treatment for endo and you will still need surgery to remove the endo, so the risk is not worth it. Please Google Lupron Victims. The side effects are permanent so if you TRY this drug just once, there is no turning back.

Related Reading: lupron

Comment from: msgingher, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm 26 and supposed to take my 3rd shot next week...Since being on this medicine i take lots of depression medicine and I have SERIOUS thoughts of suicide...my hot flashes aren't bad but i have alot of nausea and vomiting. My head spins and occasionally I have cramps. My relationship with family and friends is bad. THere are days where I dont even want to get out of bed..I DO NOT recommend this medicine to anyone!!!

Related Reading: suicide | hot flashes | nausea and vomiting

Comment from: Suz, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 27

This is my 4th month on the shot. Yes, the side effects are there if you concentrate on them enough. But after having suffered for 15 years with Endo, 5 surgeries and years of TRYING to get pregnant, I am at "peace with my pelvis" for the first time since early teenage years. No periods, no pain at all. I am told that it only safe for 6 shots.. I dread getting OFF the shot. It has been a wonderful drug that I wish I could have taken so long ago.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 13

I took this for 5 months after a lap for endometriosis. It's hard for me to tell whether it helped the pain, because I subsequently developed a bladder condition that has been causing me a lot of pain. But the Lupron was a horrible experience that is still having a huge negative impact on my life. The first two months weren't too bad, just lots of nausea. Then the mood swings, depression, lack of sex drive hit. I toughed it out for a while, but refused to take my sixth and final injection. But four months after my last shot, the side effects are not diminishing. I'm a wreck, and it's damaging my personal relationships and my career. Please, please investigate this drug fully before you decide to take it. My doctor was NOT AT ALL knowledgable about this drug before she had me take it, and therefore I was not fully aware of the problems this drug could cause.

Related Reading: endometriosis

Comment from: hnybny84, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 14

I have been experiencing pelvic pain for a while and cysts that keep bursting on my ovaries. My doctor has ran all kinds of tests and has not found and thing other than the cysts on my ovaries, so he decided to give me a shot of Lupron to kind of shut everything down and see if this helps with the pain and cysts. It has now been almost one week since my first shot and I have not had a appetite and I am in more pain than I was starting out. I called my doctor and he told me that this is all normal and when I go into the office for my second shot it will be all better from that point. I have not had any of the hot flashes or anything, but as for eating and the pain being worse it worries me a little. So ladies so far not to bad, but I will keep you updated!!!

Related Reading: pelvic pain

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 13

I have been dealing with increasing pain and bleeding during menstrual cycles for the last 6 years. I thought that it was a normal process of getting older (my mother had similar issues). After developing a mass in my groin I decided to seek advice from a doctor. They told me that I had a hernia and that it was not a concern for treatment at this time. I sought advice again when I started bleeding from my bowels on a monthly basis with excruciating pain. It has taken over three years (from the first time I sought advice) to finally get a diagnosis of Endometriosis. Even as I went in for surgery, my surgeon was not convinced that I had endometriosis and he thought I had a hernia causing all of my symptoms. After surgery, they said that I was in advanced stages of Endometriosis. I have already started Lupron (1st shot in July) and it has been a blessing. Yes that hot flashes, night sweats, uncontrollable emotions, and irritability are overwhelming; but I not have a control over the pain and bleeding. The best advice I have is to listen to your body. You know it better than anyone else and if you are concerned about something then seek advice and don't give up until you are comfortable with the diagnosis. It may take 6+ years and 20+ different doctors; but your health is worth it.

Related Reading: hernia | endometriosis | night sweats

Comment from: PattiKakes, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 08

My endo symptoms really got bad after my daughter was born (C-Section). Very heavy blood flow for days, to the point where I was changing super plus tampons every 45 minutes and clots larger than golf balls. The pain? Excruciating! Ive wanted a hysterectomy for years but every doctor I saw told me they wouldnt do it because I was too young. (I was 20 when my daughter was born) The OBGYN I see now, prescribed Lupron for me every 3 months for 1 year. I just had my 3rd shot in April....NO PAIN AT ALL. Its wonderful. Yes, there are side effects, hot flashes are really annoying, sweating all the time, and zero libido. To me, these side effects are completely worth it. I no longer have to feel like my bladder and other organs are 'bouncing' with each step I take. The fact that I have a very compassionate husband helps too.

Related Reading: lupron | hot flashes

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 22

I have pretty severe endometriosis to the point where the endo was into my bladder and causing me to have to go to the bathroom 11+ times a day, sometimes not making it. I'm only 32 so this was totally unacceptable. Started out as bladder infections about 5 years ago, turned into bladder pain, birth control kind of helped but my blood pressure would go through the roof and on my period weeks I would suffer. The endo causing the issue was 3 inches, after 5 months its now 3 cm!!! Noticeable difference. I go in to remove the rest of it tomorrow. This saved me from months on a catheter!!!! I only had two noticeable hot flashes. I'm not going to candy coat it, I was in the hospital the first month for what I thought was a stomach virus. Second month I had something similar but it was only one month later to the day. You may want to ask your doctor about anti nausea meds for just the first two months and seriously, its only a just in case. I've had 5 years with this endo/bladder issue and I'm finally going to be getting rid of it. Lupron definitely helps. I did get the add back but I would only use it when I noticed memory issues, aches, or flashing. I don't know if it was how I took it but I had one shot per month. Maybe the monthly dosage was easier on my body. Reading reviews like this scared me into not taking it for the first few years, now I'm mad at myself for not doing it earlier. My hair was even starting to drop out because the endo was messing up my hormone levels. Also, highly recommend taking this during the winter. My body temp always felt warmer.

Related Reading: endometriosis

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 27

I had stage IV endometriosis and 16 fibroid cysts, one of which was cancerous. My Dr. placed me on this drug to sustain and stop the endometriosis by putting me into menopause. My Doctor was very clear on the side affects. However; after 6 months of being on this shot, the endometriosis came back. Other risks are possible now, but I would have to get a radical hysterectomy at 35. I would like to have children and this is the only way. The hot flashes and night sweats are more within the fist few days after the shot and then a few days before the shot. It did discontinue the cancerous cyst from coming back, so it is a 50/50 feeling. I hope this may help someone.

Related Reading: menopause | night sweats | cyst

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 28

Lupron was given to me over 3 years ago.I lost my job, used my retirement, my cobra expired. I am in debt since I was hospitalized. Self pay is charged more than double. I had so much due to my hard work and this has been taken away from me.Now I have bill collectors calling me and I find that very difficult, my family never had to deal with a collection agency.I have lived with terrible bone and joint pain everyday due to this poison that was put in my system. I don't believe the doctor read his PDR about this drug and had only relied on what the sales person told him when he got the free drugs.To make it even more painful, I have been told it is all in my head by a surgeon, another doctor told me I have a mood disorder.Many other women have heard things like that from other doctors. Tap the maker of this drug owes me for the over three years and my medical bill plus my retirement. They had reps out in the field not telling the truth about the drug.NOw over three years later doctors are starting to tell the truth about this drug.

Comment from: TheMrs , 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 12

I wish I had never gotten this shot and will never do it again. I was told very little about it and rushed into the decision in my preop appointment less than 24 hours before surgey. I had it during a diagnostic laparoscopy so its ease of use gets 5 stars since i didnt have to do it nor feel it. Its effectiveness should get zero stars. I was told I would not ovulate and therefore not menstruate. I have been bleeding heavily for over a week and no one can tell me if or when it will stop, nor did they ever tell me it would start in the first place. Satisfaction should also get zero stars. Not only is it NOT helping with my pelvic pain or heavy menstrual cycle, I have become a useless blubbering idiot. I have since learner that by shutting down all of the estrogen in my body I also lose complete control of any emotions. No one told me that would happen either. I am so depressed my mind is going crazy and now I need more meds they say.... Don't let time or other people push you into making this decision. I wish I didn't. I never would have done it.

Related Reading: pelvic pain

Screening Tests Every Man Should Have See Slideshow
Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 25

I took this medication by injection for 6 months along with progesterone. I had such invasive endo that I had to have a bowel dissection and my appendix removed, as well as many adhesions removed. This lupron/progest treatment has allowed my body to recover from the surgery. I just had an ultrasound to determine extent of damage and how much endo I still have now, and will soon see my dr to get started on a monthly BC pill which should keep the endo in check until I naturally go through menopause (I'm 47). I didn't have side effects because of taking this with the progesterone. The only real problem I had was "reverse hot flashes" (my term) - I got really bone chilling cold once in a while, especially when tired, but this mostly went away after a few months. I reccommend this combo medication treatment. It was a blessing to me not to have to worry about my organs being attacked by endo so I could heal and recover from very major surgery.

Related Reading: lupron | menopause | hot flashes

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been on this drug for 2 months now. I choose to take this drug hoping that it would stop the abdominal pain that I have been suffering from do to the Endometriosis. It seems to be helping but it has been hard to determine. The side effects have been living hell! I have been suffering through constant hot flashes, headaches, mood swings, depression, weight gain, insomnia, joint pain, lack of energy, lack of appetite, inflammation and dryness that causes sex to be painful (which was the main problem with the Endo...), dizziness, and horrible short term memory. I am hoping that I will be pain free in 4 more months or this will have been a huge mistake. Wish me luck.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | endometriosis | depression