Luvox CR

Comment from: HHughes, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 25

This is an update to my previous post. I have mixed feelings about this drug. I was able to notice solid results very quickly. The side effects were acceptable at first. Then I started waking up at 2 or 3 AM and could never get a complete night of sleep. I stopped taking it for a week or so and discussed it with my doctor. She was willing to offer another drug to try or gave me the option to try Luvox again. I chose the latter option since the drug had been so effective and I thought the side effects might lessen over time. My doctor never mentioned the possibility of experiencing withdrawal from the drug. Ater taking it for another week or so I had to stop immeditely because it was really screwing up my job for me. In about 2 days I started having massive headaches, neck aches, wild temperature swings up to 102/103, and waking up at 2 or 3 AM shivering uncontrollably. I went to a doctor (not my own because it was Saturday). I told them my symptoms and told them about stopping the Luvox. That did not seem important to them. After some testing for Flu, Strep, etc. they could only guess it was some kind of infection such as sinisitis. They gave me antibiotics and steroids for it. In about 48 hours I started feeling better. But when I look back I really think that I was suffering from withdrawal from Luvox. I have had sinus infections before and they were nothing like what I experienced last weekend. I wanted to post this as a warning because I did not see any significant warnings about the possibility of withdrawal anywhere in the drug warnings about this drug on this site (except for babies of pregnant mothers who took it). Please discuss an exit strategy from this drug with your doctor before you start taking it to avoid finding yourself in the middle of a really bad situation where you are in such discomfort and pain that you might not be able to think straight and make good decisions about what to do. Best of luck!

Related Reading: luvox | flu

Comment from: debshark, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 10

I took 2 doses of this drug (Luvox CR 100mg) and I almost died. My blood pressure dropped enough to cause black-outs and my heart rate dropped to around 40. I called 911 and had to be given fluids through IV until the drug left my system. Now, a week later, my mouth is still incredibly dry and my taste is not right. My tongue has felt scalded as well. I trusted my doctor that had been treating me for over 5 years. Now that I have had this horrible experience and I've done my own research, I see that due to the fact that I have multiple sclerosis and take Tizanidine, I should NOT have taken this drug. Be careful. The ER staff wasn't happy that I was given this drug as a "sample" and the package didn't have all the patient inserts. If I were not staying with caretakers, I might have died.

Related Reading: luvox cr | multiple sclerosis | tizanidine

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 21

Completely annihilated my obsessive thoughts and compulsive behavior within a week. It also dissolved my social anxiety to the point that I can enjoy myself in social situations, something I would never have believed possible. Initial few weeks of drowsiness actually proved beneficial, as it combatted my anxiety-inspired insomnia. I'm extremely grateful to have encountered this medication.

Related Reading: anxiety | insomnia

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 11

Been taking 200mg of luvox cr for about two months up from the 150 I was taking. The extra 50 mg seem to help even more, I suffer no more side effects. The obsessive thoughts are few and far between but not gone completely, I recently started taking 25mg of Seroqeul at night to help me sleep it feels as though with the addition of the new meds the edge has been really taken off. I am extremely happy with the the results of the meds and with continued work with my therapist seems to be looking up.

Related Reading: luvox cr

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 21

After being on prozac successfully for 15 years, it stopped working. Began taking luvoxcr 200mg six weeks ago. I'm almost back to normal. Minimal side effects of anxiety and daytime drowsiness. Stopped obsessive thoughts, anxiety and insomnia. I highly recommend trying this SSRI.

Related Reading: prozac

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 10

I HAVE BEEN ON LUVOX CR NOW FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS AND COMPARED TO ZOLOFT IT HAS BEEN GREAT. I REACHED MAX DOSE FOR ZOLOFT AND IT REALY DIDNT HELP WITH MY ANXIETY. NOT TO MENTION THE SIDE EFFECTS ON ZOLOFT WERE MUCH WORSE. LUVOX FOR ME HAS BEEN ALL AROUND A GREAT IMPROVEMENT. I AM CURRENTLY ONLY TAKING 100 MG AND ABOUT TO GO UP TO 150. AT THE WAY I AM CURRENTLY FEELING ON 100, I THINK 150 SHOULD JUST ABOUT HAVE ME BACK TO MY OLD SELF. OVER THE PAST 3 WEEKS I HAVE BEEN ENJOYING AND LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING THINGS AGAIN. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE ROAD AHEAD...

Related Reading: luvox cr | zoloft | anxiety

Comment from: : (, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 25

I have been on this medication for six weeks now. I have had severe abdominal pain at times, gas, diarrhea and no sex drive what so ever. It has made me feel confused and I have no motivation to do anything. I feel like I don't care about anything. I have no energy and I am very snappy with my family and friends. This medication has made me numb emotionally and mentally. I take the medication as well as weekly Cognitive behavioral therapy sessions and have had no improvement. Back to the drawing board, I guess :(

Related Reading: abdominal pain | diarrhea

Comment from: snflr, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 13

Love this medication... saw a difference within seven days. As a mom of two was able to relax more and handle things with ease. There were hardly any side effects. This was definetley better than any other depression Ocd meds tried.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: dmakower, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 11

I have been on Luvox CR for 10 years. I was taking 150 mg. twice a day. I decided to try natural supplements and in 3 months I couldn't handle the obsessive thoughts at all. Slowly went up to the 300mg. a day and that didn't work. I had to go up to 400 mg. for 10 months, and am working down toward 300 mg. a day again. It works fantastic for OCD thoughts, but am tired all the time. That is my biggest problem.

Comment from: 13-18 (Patient) Published: August 31

I take 150mg of Luvox, i'm 18 years old and a girl. I almost immediately got results and after about one and a half-two months I have felt better than I have ever felt before! I love this medicine(:

Related Reading: luvox

Comment from: HHughes, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 22

I took meds like Prozac years ago for my OCD but I eventually just learned to manage it. Since I have been under a lot of stress in my job the last 6 months my OCD came back with a vengence. My doctor said that This is the drug of choice these days so I tried it. I have to admit that it seemed to help almost right away. I was surprised at how it seemed to "even out" my anxiety overall. But then I started losing nearly whole nights of sleep and went off it for a few days. Then I agreed to try it one more time since it seemed to work so well. It seemed to help for a few days then for 2 days in a row I was lethargic, sleepy, and even feeling physically depressed. So I had to stop it again because I simply could not function at work. A day or 2 later I woke up with a splitting headache and seemed to have flu-like symptoms including a temp of 102. I took some aspirin then Ibuprofen, then Tylenol and finally brought the fever down. But tha twas temporary. I went to an emergency care clinic today and they could not find any signs of flu, Strep, or anything else like that. I even told the doc about this drug but that did not seem to meanm anything to her. I have no resporatory problems, just a splitting headache and a hard-to-control fever. I have heard that some drugs like this can cause withdrawal symptoms. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Related Reading: prozac | stress | anxiety

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 02

I have been on Luvox for about 2 months and it has been great. My doctor put me on it for anxiety and slight depression. It doesn't make me groggy or anything...I can't even tell I am taking anything. But my mood is enhanced and I am not as stressed out and I am no longer suffering from anxiety issues. I ran out over labor day weekend because my pharmacy does not keep it stocked. I was stressed and anxious all weekend. Make sure to keep up with your refills. Otherwise, this has been great!

Comment from: sp143, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 25

i have ocd & sad ; on luvox cr for 3 years and it has saved my life. i take it in the am which i find to be 3 or 4 times more effective than pm dose. the new generic from par pharma is at less effective (imo) - recommend jazz pharma only. do not expect to change from jazz to par without consequences.

Related Reading: luvox cr

Anxiety Disorder Pictures: Symptoms, Panic Attacks, and More with Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: ElizabethC, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 25

I use this drug for being overly worried and the stress from having a bi-polar son. It was becoming overwhelming for me to deal with. It has really helped with my worry and depression. At first I didn't read to take at night and felt really tired during the day. Started taking at night and I'm not tired during the day anymore. I'm not as wound up which in some ways I miss but it's better than being worried all the time. I take 150 mg. I also take Ambien to help me sleep but was doing that before taking this med.

Related Reading: stress | depression | ambien

Comment from: hopethishelps, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 19

I was on aloft and my doctor switched me to luvox cr. The switch was very easy and I immediately felt the "fog" the aloft and before that paxil had made me feel was gone. I have recently felt a little anxiety and depression but no ocd so my doctor increased my dose to 200mg and now I am having trouble staying asleep at night. I wake up at about 2 am and can't go back to sleep. When I first started luvox I had the night sweats others have mentioned but they have subsided and that only occurs rarely. If there was a way to figure out how to solve the sleep issue that I and almost all the other reviewers have mentioned this med would be 5 stars all around. Ultimately you just have to weigh the benefits verses the side effect...and it definitely works great on the ocd.

Related Reading: luvox cr | paxil | anxiety

Comment from: alamed, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 14

eased my ocd/sad to easily managed levels. one thing to note: the generics are really inconsistent. cr is not. usual dry mouth (anticholinergic) effects at the start.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: Beccaball, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been on antidepressants off and on for 20 years. My last was Lexapro which worked beautifully until last March, when it stopped working. Six years on Seroquel for panic disorder had packed on 40 lbs. I wanted off. Now I take luvox to still my racing thoughts, Cymbalta for depression, and Strattera for Adult ADHD. Noticed a huge difference within a week. Two weeks in and my only remaining side effects are dizziness if I stand too quickly and a tendency to stutter a bit. This has been a wonderful drug for me.

Related Reading: antidepressants | lexapro | seroquel

Comment from: KellieB, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 10

I have taken a variety of depression meds - the last two I tried (Pristiq and Effexor) made me feel worse than if I were taking nothing at all, and the Pristiq made me gain weight like crazy. I've been on Luvox for about 3 months now. It took a few weeks to get the dosage down but now - at 200 mg per day - I feel great. I take it at night and I believe it helps with sleeping. I do have dreams but they are not nightmares. I was "draggy" during the day the first couple of weeks but that is much better. Some days, I feel absolutely perfect but there are still a few days where I don't feel very motivated. Overall, I think this is the drug I've been looking for and I plan on taking it until it no longer works. Now if I could just lose the 30 pounds I gained on the other depression meds . . .

Related Reading: pristiq | effexor | luvox

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 26

This did not work for me. I couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and very depressed. Got off of it as soon as I could

Published: May 23

Helped my depression, but can't stand side effects - I have never sweaated as much with any drug, and I've never felt as tired and sleepy with any drug (fatigued, yes, but not sleepy, all day long). Also take two other drugs that can have these effects, so maybe it's just in combination with the three that this is happening to me.

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 29

I have been taking 600 mg daily for over two years (I took the fluvoxamine prior to Luvox CR's release). It has helped with the OCD. I have very severe, debilitating OCD, and this is the first medication that has worked (seven years of intense CBT did nothing at all). However, I have had serotonin syndrome three times while taking this medicine due to changes of other drugs.

Related Reading: luvox cr

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 26

have taken luvox 100mg now for 3wks s/e of sweats, thoughts of suicideight then sleepy , increased drowsiness or rather awake middle, of night then sleepy thru day, just not a good match for me decreasing med to every other night until i speak with doc really apreciate those sharing their experience with coming off med abruptly good luck to everyone

Related Reading: luvox

Comment from: queenb, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 13

Started off on 100mg day after having been on prozac for several years. One positive note in comparing the two is that I feel more emotionally present on Luvox compared to that on Prozac. The downside is learning to manage my emotions now after several years of feeling flat. No significant side effects until my dosage was upped after three months to 150mg. Initially took it in am, however, the increased dosage made me so drowsy, and I wanted to crawl into bed and shut the world out. No real significant physical side effects, going back down to my 100mg dosage to take at night.

Related Reading: prozac | luvox

Comment from: andreainfla, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 27

I went on this after having bad side effects to the generic fluvoximine. After giving it a month I am feeling worse! I can't sleep at night and my anxiety during the day has increased. I'm calling the doctor in the morning. How frustrating. I hope I can find an OCD med that works soon.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: kissingcows, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 11

After taking Luvox CR for 3 months I began having unexplained bruising all over my body. Bruises from the size of a dime to a softball. I was seen by a Hemaologist and my platelets were very low (3,000) and I had a be hospitalized for a platelet transfusion. This has been a very scarey experience for me.

Related Reading: bruises | platelets

QUESTION

Panic attacks are repeated attacks of fear that can last for several minutes. See Answer