Lyrica

Comment from: KirbyMD, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 17

Hi....I have been on Lyrica 200mg 3xday for 3 months now....at first, I experienced all the same side effects I am reading about in further posts here....bllurry vision, WEIGHT GAIN - Uggghhh!....confusion, appearing drunk, severe confusion, memory loss, etc. BUT.....the reason I made this post is to share that now, in the end of my 3rd month of treatment, almost ALL has gone away, including the WEIGHT is coming OFF ! I knew from past experience with other medications that side effects come-n-go...when I first started Lyrica, I was freaked out at how many hit me at once, and was especially upset about the weight gain as "almost overnight" nothing fit me anymore, and it all centered in the belly, looking like I was pregnant. All the effects were grossly disturbing to me, but the pain relief was so outstanding that I had to keep reminding myself that "this too shall pass" and now it is starting to. I know that is very hard to do when so many side effects are hitting you at once, which seems to be what a lot of you are experiencing, but if you can hang in there I assure you they will subside. When my weight packed on, I immediately went on an 800-calorie diet (not healthy, but I was desperate) and because my pain was taken care of, I exercised and swam like crazy. Not ONE pound came off after a month of this, which made me ultra-frustrated and wanting to quit Lyrica "right now". But I made myself remember how I could never have even gotten into a pool, let alone swim, in the last 10 years and this has allowed me to jump around like a monkey if I want to! So I made myself BIG signs that I posted around my house that said "Remember your pain" and that helped me to focus on the good Lyrica was doing. Now, going into my 4th month, life is great and with going back to a normal diet (but I still exercise gently), I feel wonderful. Hang in there...I hope this gives you encouragement that inside the dark "side effect" cloud, the silver lining will soon come thru!

Related Reading: lyrica

Comment from: dagmardan, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 23

After many years of back pain, sciatica, knee pain, two back surgery's, oxycodone, oxicontin, physio etc.and no pain relief, my surgeon prescribed Lyrica. What a difference!! Pain is now only about half of what it used to be. I also have a condition know as Achalasia. Because of this condition i have Gerds. I was amazed at how effective it was towards my heartburns. About 90% of pain and burning discomfort is gone.I am no longer taking Domperidone and Pantaloc (with my GP's permission). Have not had any major heatburn in months. I have had some burning discomfort every now and then, but nothing that a glass of milk couldn't take care of. And because of the fewer heartburns, i now have better sleep through most nights. My GP isn't sure why the lyrica has reduced my heartburn, but he suspects that a nerve that runs along the stomach wall may be benefiting from the lyrica. Whatever it is, i feel much better because of better sleep. Lyrica has been very effective controlling my nerve pain. I find it difficult to swallow because it only comes in capsules. Because of my Achalasia the pills tend to stick to my throat. Other than that i am quite satisfied.

Related Reading: sciatica | knee pain | oxycodone

Comment from: irish, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 02

Taking Lyrica for 10+ years, I had some weight gain in the beginning. However I just upped my eating habits and the weight is gone. I was on Nsaids for over 20 years and ended up with a bleeding ulcer. Lyrica is expensive but I like some agree it has changed my life from tears running down my face to almost no pain. I have fibro and also 2 herniated dics L2,L3 and L4. I am happy to only have to take pain meds once in awhile. I am able to receive help with meds through Pfizer, before that it was a choice between food and medication. One thing I can't quite get is why is Lyrica treated like a narcotic if its not. I take 150 mg. in the am and the pm, have never felt dizzy, high or had any serious side affects. So I say thank god for Lyrica I have mobility and a life again.

Related Reading: nsaids

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 16

About an hour after I injested a 50mg capsule of Lyrica I realized exactly how much pain and discomfort I had been experiencing...because it was practically gone. I also noticed I had an intoxicated feeling but not one that would interfere in daily functions. I hadn't been able to walk for more than a minute without the feeling that I would collapse in exhaustion. Suddenly I could walk and stand for much longer times than in over a year, It is a very powerful and effective drug in my case. It makes me conceerned of it's ability to maintain it's efficacy over extended periods of useage. It is a Godsend.

Comment from: mrskdmr2978, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 22

This drug is a life saver.I have fibromyalgia and my regular pain meds. weren't working so my doctor told me to try this. The relief was overwhelming. I could actually walk without hunching over with pain. As well as stand up straight. I felt like a new woman after taking this and the best thing was it didn't take weeks it literally only took an hour. I would and have recommended Lyrica to anyone that has chronic pain. It has really helped me regain my mobility and at least a normal physical pace. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | chronic pain

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 22

Limited use of arms due to pinched nerves in neck, need 2nd surgery on fusion. Started taking this drug about 6 months ago. Weight gain is problem but drug is wonderful. Sleep too heavy but need dosage to relieve pain level.

Comment from: George, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 21

I have suffered from pain, restless leg, and trouble sleeping for many years. I started taking Lyrica and the very first night I had over 8 hours of undisturbed sleep and near zero pain.

Related Reading: lyrica

Comment from: belindajean, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 13

Wonderful relief for Fibromyalgia. It works fast and have had no side effects from it. The secret to not hurting with Fibro is getting into the 3rd and 4th stages of sleep. If your body is in pain while you sleep you will not reach 3 & 4 sleep levels in which your muscles relax .Without them relaxing you will hurt every day you do not let them sleep. I promise you this works.I have had Fibro for 7 years from a horse accident and lst you have to rest at night and let your muscles go OFF DUTY and you will feel like a new person in a few days.I NEVER go to bed without a sleep aide. I am on Ambien and my muscles say thank you every day I can play in my flowers and yard and spend time living instead of sitting in a chair while my muscles die from not using them. I go to the gym and walk and ride a bike slowly not to hurt my muscles.Remember to keep your muscles warm and not get chilled. I use to use a heating blanket at night and it helped me so much. Get rest and try to use your muscles everyday so you do not lose them.I take 50mg of Lyricia and 100mg at night.I feel so good like I never had Fibromyalgia. Praise the Lord!!!

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | ambien

Comment from: kfvander, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 26

The Pain I was having before lyrica, was a constant reminder that I would not be the person I once was, but minimal pain after lyrica, I can function very close to how I once was. I am greatful for this medication, I do not know what I would do without it. I had no side effects at all, I have heard that there are others that have experienced side effects, but if you are just starting the medication, do not hesitate or be afraid of this treatment. It is worth the chance that it will work for you as it did for me. It gave my life back to me.

Related Reading: lyrica

Comment from: TheBigTuna, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 06

The pain from my peripheral neuropathy was so great, even though I was taking Neurontin. When I switched to Lyrica, I experienced great relief after only a week! I consider it a miracle drug. It cut my pain in half, make life bearable again. My only criticism is that if I forget to take a dose, I get "withdrawal symptoms." Diarrhea, headache, ache all over, some nausea.

Comment from: jamison50, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 17

Used to treat my FMS pain. Started working over night with improved satisfaction with continued use. I am on week 8 of treatment. This has been the best thing that has happened since I was diagnoised (7 years). It was amazing to wake up and not feel that morning stiffness and muscle pain. I have been on disability for 5 years and have not worked. If I continue to feel this great I will be seeking employment again and hopefully be able to start living my life again. I had tried so many different medications in the past and nothing worked for me. I was on pain meds including oxycontin for 5 years. I am also sleeping better and the only side effects for me has been some increase in appetite so I am worried about weight gain. I cannot say enough good things about my experience with this medication. My doctor has been providing samples for me. My insurance will not pay for this. This is going to be a big problem for me. Neurontin is suppose to work the same for some, but has more side effects. Probably will not work for me and will mess up everything for me. Time will tell. For now I cannot say enough good things about Lyrica!

Related Reading: oxycontin

Comment from: Ba, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 09

I've had severe back and leg pain for over 15 years. I've been on several narcotic medications for over 10 years and 3 spinal surgeries, This has been like a miracle drug as far as the nerve pain goes. I still need narcotic pain medications for my back, but the Lyrica has helped my leg pain immensely. The only thing is the side effects worry me. Dizziness, blurred vision, weakness, deep, deep sleep, some depression, and WEIGHT GAIN. And I've heard horror stories about getting off this medication. I don't know if I'll ever need to come off of this, unless my insurance stops paying for it. But if and when the time comes, I'm extremely worried :(

Related Reading: dizziness | depression

Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: LYRICA SUCKS!, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 15

Lyrica is HORRIBLE! I gained more than 50 pounds - and I have never had a weight problem. In November 2007, I weighed 105. One month later, I weighed 156. I'm only 5'3! I experienced every side effect, including pinkeye in BOTH eyes. I was puffy & swollen up like the Michelin Man. None of my clothes fit. I stopped taking Lyrica in January '08, but still haven't lost all the weight. Still can't wear my regular clothes. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/CFS in 2003 (but have suffered since 1995). Never before have I taken any medication that made me feel zoned out and zombie-like like Lyrica did. I staggered around, stumbled, bumped into things, even fell. Lyrica causes severe cognitive impairment; I couldn't concentrate or remember anything. It rendered me pretty much useless. I was a big piece of meat laying around all the time. If your doctor suggests Lyrica - BEWARE! If you do not want to gain weight and you depend on your memory and ability to concentrate... know what you are getting into. I thought Lyrica was going to be a miracle drug for my Fibromyalgia. It turned out to be a curse that I am still suffering from. Worst experience I've ever had with a medication. It should not be prescribed for Fibromyalgia. I don't see how people who have jobs take this stuff. It's worse than Neurontin when it comes to cognitive/mental impairment. It was like Fibro Fog x 1000. Don't take Lyrica!

Related Reading: lyrica | pinkeye | fibromyalgia

Comment from: RedFire, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 10

Take Lyrica for fibromyalgia. Works great for the pain. However the side effects of weight gain are horrible!!!! In 2 months have gained 20 pounds!! My ankles swell, my eyes are puffy, just aweful. Then there is the memory problems. Can't find words when talking and super forgetful. Also balance problems, unsteady on my feet. Yes it was great for my pain but I am getting so fat and puffy it isn't worth it. HATE this med! I have to stop taking it, find a way to lose weight and alternative solution to my pain. DON'T TAKE LYRICA. That's my opinion!!!

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: jinglebell32828, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 05

Lyrica might have slightly helped my Fibromyalgia and the pain from neuropathy, but the side effects made me stop it on my own. "Drowsiness, dizziness, dry mouth, constipation, difficulty concentrating, swollen arms/legs, and weight gain may occur." Oh yes! After 6 months I gained about 60 pounds which have been almost impossible to lose. I had blurred and decreased vision, and found out I had developed cataracts at age 59. The sweating was terrible as was the swelling of my hands and feet. I also had constipation and abdominal pain, and became unsteady at times. There were few side-effects I didn't experience, many of them not listed until after I had been on the medication for 6 months. I get angry every time I see those skinny actresses touting the benefits on TV. Have others had such a horrible time with this med?

Related Reading: dizziness | dry mouth | constipation

Comment from: concerned wife, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: April 27

Side effects are terrible. Esp. memory confusion-shortness of breath, balance problems. Also hives, rash, wheezing tremors, jerking motions. The worse problem is the inability to concentrate and extreme tiredness. If you have any of these symptoms--do yourself a favor and get off this drug immediately.

Related Reading: hives | rash | tremors

Comment from: feeling hopeless, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 07

I was so happy to seem to finally find something that works for my nerve pain. Then the weight crept up and up. I tend to be a little underweight so I just accepted it but 30lbs in 6 months is more than I can bear! Anyone who says "then your pain must not be bad enough" is dead wrong. Yes I was in severe pain before Lyrica but now I'm in pain, overweight, severly depressed and feeling hopeless. Are these really the only two choices? Pain that keeps you from living or weight gain that makes you not care if you live?

Comment from: Kathleen, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 12

I have fibromyalgia among a nasty handful of other conditions.The first day was sleepy and clumbsy with no pain relief.Second day,it added loss in vision,swelling,confusion,dizziness,nausea, constipation more pain instead of pain relief. I called my Dr. and was told these were common side effects and they would go away as I got used to it. They didn't. I called again and was told to give it a little more time. One month and 35lbs later I couldn't stand it any more. I called again and changed my next appointment to the next day. I went in and as I stumble into the exam room the first thing the nurse says is "your gaining a little weight aren't you?" DUH! Dr. examines me and listens to my camplaints again. Draws some blood and sends me home to wait for the results. Next morning I get a call from My Dr. telling me to discontinue use immediately. Guess what? Liver failure. I would have died if I had waited for my next scheduled appointment. Be proactive. If you feel that these side effects are unreasonable for a pill that's supposed to make you feel so much better, call your doctor and insist on a visit and blood work. The list of side effect for this pill are very similar to the symptoms of liver failure. I have never had a problem with my liver before so, be aware of how you feel. Insist on a blood test. Peolpe with fibromyalgia get tired of compaining about this disabling syndrone. Some Dr's get tired of hearing it. Don't let these symptoms go unheard. You could become very ill or die. I hope you all find relief from your pain. Be careful.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 04

This is a follow-up for folks who read my initial statement. I have been on Lyrica for almost a month. I started out at 75mg twice daily in addittion to flexeril 10mg bedtime and lexpro 20mg at bedtime. I had immediate pain relief and have just started 150mg twice a day and almost all pain is gone! Yes, I felt woozy at first but that subsided after a week or so. I suffer with Fibro and the sleeplessness and depression that goes along with it. I must say I had a lovely xmas and was able to decorate and "un" decorate lol without having to go to bed for three days afterword. I have not noticed wieght gain yet although don't we all gain a little during the holidays? For me, Lyrica has been a blessing...no side effects yet other than the wooziness that has subsided. I take most meds at bedtime and sleep thru any woozy feelings they cause...with the daytime 150mg lyrica dose I eat breakfast have 2 cups of coffee and go about my day I notice a bit of forgetfullness but that also comes with menopause and being 50 plus. Feel free to write me if I can help or answer anything I haven't said here...I am truely amazed at the results I have gotten from lyrica! I will stop taking the flexeril 10mg this week to see if I can still function this well and practically pain free! Denise

Related Reading: lyrica | flexeril | depression

Comment from: betty, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 10

WARNING - TO ALL USERS OF THIS DRUG - IT IS ADDICTIVE. I stopped taking lyrica, because of the cost and I went into terrible withdrawal - severe headache, nausea, chills, restless legs,anxiety. I was never made aware of this. Now I am trying to wean off of this drug. It is a very slow process - go very slowly. I've deceased my dose by months not by days. The withdrawal is too horrific.

Related Reading: lyrica | headache | anxiety

Comment from: Mr hand some, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 16

You will be in the Ly rica cloud!. yes you of will feel dru nk and feel as if you are tired all the time. you wiil be very slow youi will fefl like an idiot and I am a ver54y smart and engineer.now i cant but together legos if I wanted while im on the cloud of lyrica. it takes the pain away for sure,but be careful you do not have to undertake an imkportant tasks that rwequire critical thinkinbg. do not drivew aqnd dedfinetly ,do not do anything with dangerous machinerty.as you can see AI look like an idot. i didn tnot want to edit this because I want tjhose reading it to know exacatly what to expect.it i s a great!great drug.but thAT iis exasctly what it is a drug! keep that in mind! it will remove the pain and y9ou owill feel great but just be careful while operating in the cloude!seriouisly you willl fell like you are in a slowww motin cloud, you motoer skill andf dexterity will greatlyt deminish. I am not an idiot nor am I illeiterate.but you will know exactly what I mean when you expierance the cloud of LYRICA. KEE PI N MIND I DELIBERATLY DID NOT EDIT THIS!!! CAUSE I WANTED TO GIVE YOU THE TRTRU EFFEVCT OF LYRICA.IM NODING OF AS I TYPE it will help get you of f of oxy.because I was on oxy for a year straigth 180mg a dsy and i am onlyh 5' 3 an d 130 lbs.so her is my penny advice! use the druge for just enugh time to get off oxycodone or oxycontint you know the leg spasums, the back spasms the hell on eareth pain from the addiction withdrawls. I do not want tewo be an addict so that is why i switched to lyrica.i am gonna do it for one month to get the oxy out of my system and then I hop tht there are less withdrawls from lyrica.I will give you a week to week update on myu progress if you all show interest in it.so if you have chrionic pain and werre plkace3d on oxy an d you are affraid of wityhdrawls,you know the spasms.i will let you knpow if this works for me.causer i know how yoiu feel to want to be drug free.it took me several; times to enter the letters belo

Related Reading: oxycodone

Comment from: babyblue, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 18

I have lost 18 months of my life to this drug. 18 months, a complete blank, except the horrific pain that I had to endure. This was why it was prescribed, for pain,and in that respect NOTHING!! Side effects- My feet were so RED and SWOLLEN I looked like Fred Flintstone.I could not get ANY shoes on. My upper body looked like a football players when they were wearing pads! The PAIN was WORSE , not better! I also gained about 40 pounds which I believe was from ALL this fluid retention. Worse than this my jaw teeth completely rotted, resulting in dentures! My hair got so thin I thought I was going bald!!I also use to have PERFECT vision, but not anymore.I also could not stay awake most of the time. Mental effects- I could not be trusted to go anywhere by myself because I possibly would not find my way back home. My cooking and baking turned into "a risk taking event" because I might just forget what I was doing and burn our home to the ground.I became distraught because I could not figure out what was wrong with me!!I then started crying at the drop of a hat. I had gone from an attractive 45 year "young" looking and acting woman that took much pride in my appearance and the way I cared for my family to a very sad ,old looking (toothless, fat and half bald) woman that was acting as if I had been afflicted with Alzheimers(like my grandmother had some years earlier.)This was ABSOLUTELY terrifying for myself and my family! The doctor would not admit that Lyrica was causing this. His solution- Prozac(for depression)prednisone(for swelling) This made matters go from BAD to WORSE!! The prozac made me gain more weight and sleep even more!! Finally(for some unknown reason) I thought "Enough is enough!" I think my sub concious realized if I did not put a stop to this, mentally and possibly even physically I was not going to survive! I got myself off of this junk, weight came off,my mind has returned but I'll never be able to get that 18 months of my life back, and FOR WHAT???

Related Reading: prozac | prednisone

QUESTION

What characterizes fibromyalgia? See Answer
Comment from: sister06, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 26

I honestly think this is a terrible drug. I have Fibromyalgia and took it for a brief period until I could see the changes in my personality and it made me more depressed. Now, my sister is taking it and I think it has caused her to lose her mind. She and her husband split after nearly 40 yrs. of marriage. I feel they should tests this drug again for depression. I feel this is what's causing her to act so strange and eratic. Has anybody else had a bad experience with this drug??

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | depression

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 05

The Lyrica has opened up my fuzzy brain. It's like I've been missing my life with all the fuzziness. It has awakened me so much that I see a clearer view of life and no more tired/sleepiness and no more naps 2-3 X's a day.

Related Reading: lyrica

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 14

I am in my mid 30s, I took this medication for Fibromyalgia, within just a couple of weeks this medication not only stopped helping with the pain, but I became very depressed, I quit eating, I got down to 104lbs. I was severly depressed, so much so that I couldn't even rationalize that it was the medication doing this to me, I wanted to blow my brains out literally, my doctor *who prescribed Lyrica wanted to send me to a shrink....I wasn't crazy..it was the drug, lyrica doing it to me, Thank God for my husband, I stopped the medication and within a few days was thinking and depression was better, I know this drug doesn't do this to everyone, but for those that it does effect this way, if you don't have someone close to you that can see what it is doing to you, well, sadly I fear they would end up killing themselves....I know I would have...I honestly didn't want to live anymore and if you knew me....I have always been outgoing, the one laughing and cutting up..even with fibro! This drug will NEVER touch my lips again!!!!!!

From WebMD Logo