Macrobid

Comment from: worksforme, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 18

Until I was on Macrobid, I would be given other drugs such as Bactrim and Cipro. I am allergic to penicillin which is the old fashioned treatment. Macrobid to me is a God send! I get urinal tract and bladder inflammations from intercourse regardless of my care and cleanliness. I have had no side affects and results are quick. I was told I could take it daily if I wanted to but I only take it as a preventative now. It is great don't read the little paper with the side affects and you wont have them!

Related Reading: macrobid | bactrim | cipro

Comment from: bmh21740, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 31

I will never take this macrobid again. I think it almost killed me. I have flu like systems, very weak, no energy, body aches. would like to talk to others about this medicine. [email protected]

Related Reading: macrobid | flu

Comment from: Hellcatt, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 13

I have been taking Macrobid twice a day with food and water for the past 4 days. Day 1 was okay until the next morning came. I awoke at 4am with severe neck pain (hurt to even scratch my skin), and I know it was not caused by the way I slept. All that aside; I have been so nauseous for days, that eating anything has become difficult due to not having any appetite caused be the horrible side effects. I can say that my UTI seems to have been cured, but at what cost will the medical professionals realize that new drugs aren't always the best. It's now day 4, and I can discontinue usage (thank god), but I have to deal with the SEVERE NAUSEA until the drug is completely flushed from my body. Yes this medication worked, but given the choice again; I WOULD REFUSE IT AND SUFFER. There's no benefit of causing starvation from no appetite due to a "NEW AND EFFECTIVE DRUG" as quoted by the doctor. Please discontinue making this drug, as the side effects outweigh the benefits.

Related Reading: neck pain

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 23

This was the most horrible medication I have ever taken. It made me sicker than I was before I took it! When I called the Dr. to get something else they said make sure you are eating with it. I said I had been but was so sick even the thought of food made me sick at my stomach but I pushed on ahead. Finally, called Dr. again after 3 days total of taking it. I had the worse headache I had ever had and had to sleep (when I could)sitting up in a recliner. So SICK at my stomach. By the third day I was disoriented, my vision was cloudy, I could only get out of the chair enough to go to the bathroom. Dr. said to STILL keep taking it for a full 7 days and then they would consider another drug then proceeded to instruct me on how to take the medication with food. I told her, "your crazy, this drug is trying to kill me and I am not going to take it." Then went to another Dr. who gave me something else. I now have this drug as being allergic to it on all my information. So far, so good. My lesson is to follow what you know about YOU. Don't let anyone not even a Dr. tell you they know this is best for you. You know best! After only 5) 100 mg doses of this stuff I was reminding my husband where not to bury me!

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: wiregal, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 02

I followed the complete course of Macrobid. One day after stopping, my infection reappeared. This was not strong enough to get rid of it. The Dr. put me on Cipro and that took care of it.

Comment from: khat, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 27

I started on Macrobid after waking up to a horrible UTI, after 3 days on it I have had absolutely no relief from my symptoms. I also had side effects of headache, aches in my legs and pelvic area and tingling down my legs. I threw up on the 2nd day of taking it. I would have put up with the side effects if it had worked. I have taken it twice in the past for UTI's and it had worked previously. I ended up going in to give a urine culture and the Dr gave me Amoxicillian this time hoping this will work. I just started the Amoxicillian last night so I am not feeling better yet but hopeful. Very disappointed with my experience overall with Macrobid.

Comment from: Becky, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 11

After taking for nine days of a ten day treatment I started getting hot and sweaty or cold and shivering. Very bad indigestion. Achy and just want to sleep. After checking reviews other people have had the same symptons. Will not take last days pills or ever again.

Related Reading: indigestion

Comment from: sandram, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 21

After taking Bactrim while waiting for lab results confirming a form of ecoli that was resistant to the Bactrim, the doctor finally prescribed the macrobid, but state rules said generic was okay and relief started in 24 hours. I had had bladder spasms and urgency causing diarrhea prior to and while on Bactrim. The Macrobid ( generic) made everything go away quietly.

Related Reading: bactrim | macrobid | bladder spasms

Comment from: Gilda Torres, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 16

This medication has caused me terrible body aches , chills and fever. I am very dissapointed at my doctor for giving me this killing medicine.

Related Reading: fever

Comment from: ldewild, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 18

Well, imagine that. I finally look up this drug after taking the meds for several days. It felt like my fibromyalgia reared its ugly head again. Severe aches/pains all over, eyes hurt. Sometimes get the chills. I can't tolerate antibiotics so was nervous about this one. It seems to have gotten rid of my UTI but we'll see about that. Still, I'm done taking this medication. This severe and ongoing pain just ain't worth it.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 23

I have been taking Marcrobid for years and I do not experience any major side effects. I may occasionally experience softer stools but that's it. Within 12 hours of taking this medication I feel 100%.

Comment from: smassey, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 21

I ended up at urgent care after 3 doses of Macrobid. Dr. thought I had Pancreatitis, a gall bladder issue or was passing a kidney stone. The right side under my rib caused me unbelievable pain, which is why I sought a doctor's care. After blood tests, ultrasound and x-rays, they found nothing wrong with me, however, they did tell me to go off the pills. Too late. I quit after 3. I spent 3 days of Hell and threw them away. My diagnosis is that I was allergic to them. I still feel weak, dizzy and not myself. Can't wait for it to clear my system. Horrible stuff - should be taken off the market. It seems from reading this blog that it causes more problems than it has helped.

Related Reading: macrobid | pancreatitis

Comment from: az10, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 01

I am allergic to sulfa and Cipro (and other antibiotics in that family) causes severe anxiety problems for me, so my doctor prescribed Macrobid for my UTI this time around. Since I started the dosing, my UTI symptoms are gone, and for the first time in recent memory, an antibiotic hasn't caused terrible side effects. I'm sorry to see that so many people have experienced side effects, but I must note that all antibiotics work differently for different people -- why on earth people continue to take Macrobid after experiencing the very side effects that were listed in the documentation provided by my pharmacy is beyond me.

Related Reading: cipro | anxiety

Comment from: Angelic87, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 19

First off, I do not know and was not told the cause of my UTI and was given this terrible antibiotic. I feel like crap and VERY tired/sleepy all the time. I couldn't go to bed bc of panic attacks and shaking. Extreme ichiness all over especially my hands and feet. Nausea, headache, dry cough, wheezing, stomach ache, digestive problems, acid reflux and my face broke out. I thought I was coming down with bronchitis or something and then something told me to look up macrobid. I will never take this again!! I would rather drink pure concentrated cranberry juice even though I hate it. Just researched this medication and read that it may leave you with PERMANENT DAMAGE to the liver and nerves!!!! Why is the still on the market??!!

Related Reading: panic attacks | headache | cough

Comment from: Karla, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 11

My blood pressure, which is normally low, became elevated and I was rushed by ambulance to the ER after taking only 5 capsules. Tests were run and I was told that it is possible that I am having an adverse reaction to the medication. I am still very weak with moderately high blood pressure. I have been nauseated off and on and my last capsule was 5 days ago. I was treated for a UTI two weeks ago with Cipro and the doctor didn't think it completely killed the bacteria. I don't know if there is a problem following one with the other.

Related Reading: high blood pressure | cipro

Comment from: BuggyDriver, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 11

Macrobid was amazing - I took it at 7 pm and in the morning, I felt 50% better. Hooray!!! I'd be completely happy with this result, but I feel somewhat nauseous. I'm on my fifth dose, and I feel the most nauseous I've felt since starting. I may ask the doctor for another antibiotic, because I don't like feeling like I'm going to throw up. Great for curbing my appetite - but not a super feeling. But the drug worked like a charm!!

Related Reading: macrobid

Comment from: carlol, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 24

i got a uti while 26 weeks pregnant; the symptoms came on very suddenly and i was in excruciating pain but within six hours of first taking the medication my symptoms were almost entirely relieved.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 28

Going on my third day of taking Macrobid 100mg twice daily due to recurring UTI's (gotta love genetics). Anyways, Ive been on Bactrim and Cipro before and it just didn't do the trick so I am now on Macrobid. I've been reading a lot of horror stories with this drug, so I was a bit concerned. But going on my 3rd day now and so far so good. It's really important that you drink A LOT of water and eat bread, crackers, noodles, etc before you take this stuff. It's side effects are about the same as any other antibiotic, just seems to be intensified. I've noticed a minor headache and some back pain along with a little light headed spurts here and there but it's kicking my UTI's butt. And since I have fibromyalgia, a little back pain here and there doesn't bother me too much (maybe that's just me). People have different reactions to any medication, it all depends on your body. Although we are built the same, we don't always function the same. So be extra careful when taking this medication,but it is not ALWAYS resulting in a horror story. But bad reactions do happen! And on that note, I am thankful my body is reacting well to Macrobid....So far!

Related Reading: bactrim | headache | fibromyalgia

Comment from: sed8s, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 29

Just about died using this medication. Thought I had severe meningitis...104 degree fever, chills, nausea, light sensitivity, SEVERE headache and neck pain, pale skin and red eyes and puffy lower eyes to cheeks with redness, muscle weakness...had to spend three days in the hospital. Had CT, MRI, Chest x-ray, spinal tap and multiple blood tests before it was determined that it was a severe allergic reaction to this drug.

Related Reading: meningitis | fever | neck pain

Comment from: CindiCP, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 22

My urologist prescribed Macrobid for chronic UTI. One week after taking the drug, as suggested with meals, I developed a fever of 104 accompanied by difficult breathing, chills and uncontrollable shakes. My Dr. sent me to the ER where they admitted me with pneumonia (confirmed through an Xray). I went home on Levofloxacin and was told I could continue taking Macrobin. I was back in the ER three days later with a temp of 101 (after taking Tylenol) and admitted again. It was there that a Dr. finally diagnosed me with a reverse reaction to Macrobin. I've been online searching the drug and find time after time, others that have had a similar reaction. This drug should be banned! The results from taking the drug were by far worse than the UTI symptoms. I'm waiting to see if I have permanent lung damage; only time will tell.

Related Reading: pneumonia | levofloxacin | tylenol

Comment from: Lynn, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 21

I was given Macrobid 100MG for infection (if I needed it) after I had female surgery last month. I was on a catheter for a week and after that being removed, a culture was gone and it showed E. Coli Bacteria. I already knew that and was on the Uribel and Cipro BEFORE the results came back. I know about the UTI. I have had them on and off for 40 years. I remember at one time being on Macrobid- but it must have stopped working and I have been on Cipro when these infections showed an ugly head. Seems to be less since I have gotten older. But after reading these reviews- I will not take this drug and I agree it needs to be off the market. It appears to do great harm to the majority that have sent comments. I am glad to know I am NOT the only one to have this so often. Female bodies go through a lot in being female. Lynn

Related Reading: macrobid | e. coli | cipro

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 13

This antibiotic created a liver crisis which took months to correct.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: pattyb, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 16

Taking for UTI. After 48hrs. Developed horrible headache. Night sweats. Chills. Swelling in eye area face hands. Gained 5lb. Water wt. Confusion. GI upset heartburn. Diarrhea. Epigastric pain. Felt like I had the flu. Ached all over. Had no energy. Called Dr. Took benadryl pushed fluids and of course stopped macrobid! Worse reaction I have Ever had to antibiots. Be warned! Some people should not take this drug.

Related Reading: headache | night sweats | heartburn

Comment from: llud, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 28

Just finished 7 days of the medication. I took each pill with 4-8 oz. milk, on a full stomach... at 1 AM, I would take the pill with milk, eat a yogurt and 1/2 banana. No problems with any stomach issues. No diarrhea or constipation. Will retest urine in a week and see if this medication worked.

Related Reading: diarrhea | constipation

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 16

I had a horrible adverse reaction to the medicine. I developed chills, high fever, intense joint pain, chest pain. The 3rd doctor that I went to finally diagnosed my condition correctly as an adverse drug reaction after 6 days of treatment. Those were 6 miserable days that were unncessary.

Related Reading: fever | chest pain