Malarone

Comment from: AHays2425-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 17

I am a 33-year-old female, and I took this drug while traveling to two countries in Africa for about three weeks in July 2016. I was pleased to not suffer any side effects while taking the drug, but as soon as I stopped taking it, I noticed immediate side effects right away. I took two days off when I got home to sleep off the jet lag and get adjusted, so I was groggy. But when I returned to work on the third day I couldn't remember quite a few of my co-workers names...people I'd worked with for a year. It took me several weeks to get everyone's name back so I could recall it quickly. When speaking even now (three months later), I often have trouble recalling the vocabulary word I'm looking for, and this only happened very rarely before. The worst side effect of all, I think, is that it's effected my short-term memory. I have a hard time remembering events that have happened a few days before. It's like some things just don't "stick" in my memory. Last week a colleague asked me for something concerning an event that we both attended a week before that, and my mind went completely blank. She told me I was at the event, and honestly, a tiny remnant of it came back, but I don't really remember being there. Not truly. Sometimes I can't remember a story or task I've told to a friend or colleague. Anyway, this is all pretty scary for a 33-year-old who was pretty quick-witted before and was in a Masters degree program just months ago. Worse, I'm to return to Africa in a few weeks and I'm just praying more Malerone won't make my condition worse or cause lasting damage.

Related Reading: jet lag

Comment from: JeaFel55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 05

I took Malarone for 7 days and got severe diarrhea 4 days into my trip to Tanzania. The lodge doctor said it was the malarone and had me stop that and take massive doses of imodium, which I had to take the remainder of my trip and a few days after returning home. I've been off Malarone for 24 days and still have loose stool every morning.

Related Reading: malarone | diarrhea | imodium

Comment from: Jane35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 30

I took Malarone for 10 days to prevent malaria while in a malaria zone in Africa. The side effects started off quite mild with a mild stomach pain and possibly slight depression. However, after 7 days of taking the medication I had the runs for three days and was suffering from anxiety attacks, depression and suicidal thoughts. I stopped taking the medication before the end of the course and will never touch it again. Since then I've been feeling lethargic and depressed and my stomach is still not 100% back to normal. I found this review page by searching for information about how long after stopping Malarone the side effects go away. I haven't found that information yet, but it looks like a lot of people are looking for it. Draw your own conclusions. Next time I'm just going to cover myself in DEET like I did anyway and not take any pills.

Related Reading: malarone | malaria | depression