Megace ES

Comment from: Jim, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 15

I take 100mg of Topamax for migraine headaches. Topamax causes me not to eat. That is one of it's side effects. So they put me on Megace ES. I only take 20ml. I have been taking if for about 2 months. I eat 3 good meals a day. I have a good appetite. I have picked up to my natural weight and have stayed their.

Related Reading: topamax | megace es

Comment from: lavish1, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 26

this medication has been very affective for me, i had kidney disease which caused me to lose a lot of weight, when i first started on megace a week and a half ago i was 98lbs and am now 110, so it works very well, a little miracle in a bottle...

Related Reading: megace

Comment from: corky, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 16

my 95 year old dad had stopped eating after major surgery and 3 weeks in the hospital. doctors had given up and placed him in hospice care. the family insisted on using megace to try to stimulate his appetite. within a week he was eating small portions several times a day and within three weeks he is eating at normal meals with the family! truly a miracle drug for our situation.

Related Reading: hospice

Comment from: SPACE 1, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 01

I just started taking this medication due to my gall bladder being remove which cause weight loss. I have been taking it for about a week and I can feel the pounds coming on...not sure how much I have gained but my clothes are fitting a lot better now. Sure it cost but it is worth it if you want to get back that strong size 8. One more thing you will be eating up everything in site day and nite nite and day all thur the day ......

Comment from: jlynn, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 22

I started Megace in August at 98lbs. Now in November at 118lbs! It works great, and I feel great. Weird side effect I got was no periods. I stopped for a month in September to make sure I wasnt pregnant, but then my period came so I resumed the meds, but sinse then, no period.

Related Reading: megace

Comment from: jeff, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 24

from 79 pounds to 101 pounds in 3 + months

Comment from: PRETTYNPINK, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 14

I WERE TAKING REGULAR MEGACE FORMULA TO GAIN WEIGHT N IT HELPED ALOT I WENT FROM 87LBS TO 110LBS IN A MONTH BUT I STILL REALLY DIDNT HAVE A GOOD APPETITE SO I CHANGED TO MEGACE ES N I CANT SAY HOW IT REALLY IS JUST YET. THE ONLY SIDE EFFECTS I HAD FROM MEGACE WERE GAS,IMPROVED APPETITE,AND NO PERIOD BUT I HONESTLY CAN SAY IT WORKS WHEN IT COMES TO GAIN WEIGHT. BUT YOU REALLY HAVE TO EAT RIGHT N EXERCISE BECAUSE I HAVE A REALLY BIG STOMACH WHICH LOOKS LIKE AM ABOUT 3/4 MONTHS PREGNANT WHEN I STARTED OFF WITH A SUPER FLAT STOMACH.

Related Reading: megace | megace es

Comment from: TheNCDoc, 65-74 Female Published: March 17

Due to depression and anxiety my wife lost from 120 lbs to 85 (35 pound loss). Started at 20 ml per day for a month then up to 40 ml per day. She gained 15 pounds within 6 weeks. However, after about 8 weeks it has lost it's effectiveness. As to cost mentioned by others, there is a generic that she takes and the cost is minimal.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety

Comment from: moob, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 21

I had a lumpectomy for DCIS in Jan. No need for radiation or chemo but am on Tamoxifen for 5 yrs. Unreal hot flashes. Dr. put me on 20mg. of Megace and it has completely stopped the flashes during the day. However, since starting the Megace about a month ago, my fingernails have become paper thin and non-existent and my hands shake like I have a nervous disorder. Anybody else with these side effects?

Related Reading: tamoxifen | hot flashes

Comment from: Pathfinder, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 15

This drug works wonders! If you are having any problems with adding weight or keeping it on, this drug is for you. The only drawback seems to be it interrupts sleep during the night.

Comment from: Soulcr8, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 14

I am a 37 yr. old Male on Megace as a result of extreme weight loss, associated with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. 3 surgery's later Total testicle reconstruction and a Skin Graph to Match.....I was @ 97 lbs. 6' tall. I have Been on Megace 40mg/10ml-1xday oral suspension and I now weigh 137lbs.( 90 day's) This drug is quite expensive however the cost is in no comparison to life! Side effect's are Frequent Urination, EXTREME Hunger!!! Some Restlessness at Night,and Some Agitation. These side effects are minor to me and worth the excellent weight gain. Megace,my Doc's and GOD saved my life!AMEN-

Related Reading: megace | frequent urination

Published: August 23

This is a horrible drug that has caused slurred speech, weakness, fatigue...Medical Science needs to get to the root of medical problems not just treat symptons.

Related Reading: fatigue

Published: September 16

I now eat constantly....I love it. I have gained 15 lbs in less than 2 weeks.

Comment from: falenmichael, 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: April 28

mother diagnosed wit divericulitis and blood clots but the megestrol has been a life saver,does she need to stop taking the megestrol? can it cause further blood clotting?

Related Reading: blood clots

Comment from: JoGee, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 05

I am taking this medication to shrink an adnexal mass near my ovary. We aren't sure what it is however, possibly hydrsalpinx or endometrioma,I am feeling miserable so far. My CA125 is only 14. That is good news. I hope this works.

Comment from: LOVINGHUSBAND, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 01

THE COST OF THIS MEDICATION IS OBCENE!!!! $1365.00 FOR 10 OZ. NO WONDER OUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM IS IN SUCH SHAMBLES. THERE SHOULD BE A LAW THAT REQUIRES PATIENTS BE ADVISED OF THE COST OF THIS MEDICATION WHEN PURCHASED. OLDER PEOPLE AND PEOPLE DESPERATE FOR HELP AND OVERLY STRESSED CARE TAKERS ARE TARGETS FOR RX COMPANY GREED. MY FATHER PICKED THIS MEDICATION UP AND PAID HIS 35 CO-PAY. THEN GOT HOME AND REALIZED IT COST HALF OF THE YEARLY MEDICARE ALLOWANCE. NOT THE DOCTOR OR THE HOME HEALTH CARE WORKER OR THE PHARMACIST INVOLVED EVER SAID A WORD ABOUT THE EXPENSE OF THIS MEDICATION AND IN WHEN CARETAKERS ARE VULNERABLE THE VULTURES OF GREED SWOOP IN. SHAME ON YOU RX COMPANIES!!!

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 31

It has a nasty taste! Even after brushing teeth.

Comment from: mommytomaddymylove, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 18

I am taking Megace to treat endometrial cancer. I have been on this medication for nearly three weeks now. I am not sure if the side effects are worth the slim chance of helping to cure my cancer. I have extreme agitation, extreme anxiety, inability to sleep at night, diarrhea, and increased appetite which has lead to weight gain since starting this medicine. I snap at everyone over EVERYTHING. I don't think this is going to work for me.

Related Reading: cancer | anxiety | diarrhea

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 21

Have been taking this higher dose liquid for about a month (before I was on pills). I liked the pills better due to nasty liquid taste and mess. Don't need this drug to make me eat - I'm fat enough from steroids and such all my life. Doc seems to think this might be a good plan for my kind of recurrent Stage 4 Endometrial cancer, and I'm willing to try. The gas it causes, though, is horrible. LOL. Wish there was a non-liquid version in this high dose, but then I might have to take twice as many pills and that's worse.

QUESTION

What is HIV? See Answer
Comment from: Jerry, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 08

I have metastatic colon cancer. Magace has indeed increased my appetite and my weight has held steady since starting its use. In fact, I started with 1tsp. Had it increased to 2 tsp/day. Did not really increase my appetite, but boy did it increase my gas. Had a date last night and had to hold it for 5 hours! Not sure the extra is all worth it. Think I will go back to 1 tsp and live with that.

Related Reading: colon cancer