Meridia

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

i love this medication i lost 26 lbs the first month and continued to loose since very little side affects a bit of nausia in the first month didnt last long would recomend to anyone having trouble loosing weight

Comment from: fireman2008, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 10

Lost 3 ponds during my first week, this rx makes my brain think that I'm satisfied throughout the day. I can say that I'm eating around 1000 cals a day and feeling great. Price is high $138 no insurance won't cover, however I now found out that you can download a coupon from meridia web site $25 off. Good rx.

Related Reading: meridia

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 07

Look folks, you are not going to eat french fries, take a pill and lose your weight. Once you accept responsibility for your lifestyle and step up to change your overall health, you will be responsible enough to take this medication.(This does not apply to folks who have legitimate medical problems that have lead to being overweight.) I hit a major plateau a while back and asked for Meridia. It has been an amazing jumpstart to my workout and helps me with meal portions. The first three weeks I took it, I found it difficult to eat anything greasy and was a teeny bit nauseous which I rarely noticed. The pill decreased my appetite, made me feel full, actually made me happier for some weird reason and is incredibly effective when used in concert with diet and exercise. Now look, I'm human so I do eat crud from time to time but I've tried diet and exercise without this pill and found a marked difference in the results. When I get the munchies, I take a pill and they vanish. Let me put it this way, I was a size 18 and now am a size 12 and fit into some 10s. This pill is used to compliment diet and exercise not substitute for it. It runs me $100.00 per month because insurance companies rarely cover the cost. It's worth it. Consult your doctor, take the pill, improve your eating habits and get some exercise per your doctor's instructions and it should work for you as well. Remember, you didn't gain 100 pounds in 3 months, so you're not going to lose it all in two. Slow and steady is the way to go provided your doctor concurs. Good luck and congrats on making a positive step in improving your health.

Related Reading: meridia

Comment from: Slimmer, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 20

I was approx 30 pounds overweight before using Meridia. I tried reducing my intake and increasing activity which just kept me from gaining more but not losing any. I started the prescription with the same amount of diet and exercise in April. Within 5 months I had lost 27 lbs. My weight loss seems to have hit a plateau since and I have maintained the same weight for the last 2 months. I am very happy with the results. Meridia gave me the edge I needed to get the extra pounds off.

Comment from: Sophia, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

I started taking this medication about two months ago; I wasn’t obese, just slightly overweight and lost 15 pounds in the first month. This was awesome. But I also started experiencing chest pains, which got increasing worse. Yesterday night I was sent to the ER where they performed several test. They are still in the process of finding what and where the problem is. I am no longer allowed to take Meridia. And I still have severe chest pain. But if I didn’t experience any serious side effects, I would have tried to up the dosage to lose the remaining 10 pounds to be 125. I’m not writing this to put down the medicine or tell people not to use it, I just want to warn people that if you have experiencing any serious side effect, YOU SHOULD GO TO YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY.

Related Reading: chest pain

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

I ONLY TOOK MERIDIA FOR 2 MONTHS. MY INSURANCE DIDN'T COVER IT SO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE WAS ALOT BUT WELL WORTH IT. NOT ONLY DO YOU HAVE TO DIET BUT EXERCISE IS THE KEY. I LOST 50 LBS OVER 7 MONTHS AND HAVE KEPT THE WEIGHT OFF FOR 2 YEARS. DIET ALONE WON'T WORK.

Related Reading: meridia

Comment from: peekaboo, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 20

Taking this drug has helped me lose 12 pounds in 3 weeks. I hope to keep losing. No side effects.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 10

This was Great... Iam 50 years old and have difficulty losing weight the older I get. I was able to loose 27lbs so far and will take it for another month. (three monts total) Other than the cost.... No complaints!

Comment from: lagalh, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 13

I have been on this med for about 2 months and have lost 19 lbs. I have had very little side effects if any. I do not feel jittery or nauseous like most diet meds cause you to feel. I still get hungry but it only takes half of the portion size to satisfy me and it has helped to eliminate my cravings for fast food and nightime snacks. I still want to loose another 25-30 lbs so I just pray that this drug keeps working and that I can continue my good eating habits when I quit taking it.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 21

I just turned 50 and have tried everything for years to loose weight. I started taking Meridia in Nov 07 and today June 20,08 I ave lost 73lbs It has been so easy and I feel great i went from a size 18 to a size 8

Related Reading: meridia

Comment from: happydae, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 07

I have been on this drug since Oct 2007 and have lost over 80lbs. I started at 10mg then after two months was up to 15mg. It has worked well for me. I am half my size from 24 to a 12/14!! I just now started having hypertension which they believe is a result of the medication but I am at a point where I may no longer need it.

Comment from: aj, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 02

I'm not usually a fan of reviews after short-term use of a medication (i.e., a week or so) because it doesn't really give a full and accurate picture, but I wanted to write one to encourage Meridia patients to give this med at LEAST a week to "kick in" before making any rash decisions to quit. I almost gave up after only 3 days due to severe insomnia, dizziness and rapid heartbeat but all have since subsided and I feel terrific. As my doctor explained, this isn't an "overnight" medication and will take some time to build up in your system to become effective, as it is essentially an anti-depressant. I've been on 10mg/day for almost 2 weeks and have already lost 6 lbs (starting out at 217). I no longer obsess about food all day long, the intense carb/sugar cravings have stopped and I now feel compelled to make healthier food choices. It also takes a far less amount to make me feel full during mealtimes and it is such an empowering feeling to be able to push away a half-eaten plate of food. The mindless snacking has halted as well, which was really my downfall. And possibly best of all, my mood is bright and upbeat again! Bottom line: give it some time to work and don't expect any overnight miracles. Good luck to all!

Related Reading: rash | insomnia | dizziness

Comment from: revgreg, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 24

I have tried many different diet aids for years. After being on this drug for just 4 months I have already lost nearly 60 pounds and continue to lose. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is overly obese. I weighed 428 lbs. when I started my diet. The only thing is the price is rather high. Because our cheap insurance companies do not see the importance of helping to pay for this medication. They need to realize the benefit it will make in the future, with less physical problems, due to weight loss.

Comment from: WrightGirl, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 16

I just started my second month of this medicine. I've lost 16 lbs total. I've feel full and satisfied, but I still get hungry and get nauseated if it's been hours since I've last eaten. I do not want to snack like I used to and my portion sizes have been cut in half. Since I don't have a scale at home, the way I knew the drug was working was because my clothes were starting to fit looser on me, so you not only lose lbs, you lose inches too. The only side effects I've had are flushing, dry mouth, joint aches periodically, and insomnia, but it only lasted for the first few weeks. I sleep fine now. So far, I'm not having any issues with rapid heart rate or high blood pressure. I have noticed that the medicine isn't working "as well" as it did when I first started it a month ago as the weight is not coming off as fast, but it is still helping me not to be hungry as often as I used to be before starting it. I'd definitely recommend this drug.

Related Reading: dry mouth | high blood pressure

Comment from: DF, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 08

I lost 62 pounds with this drug, of course I also was in a low calorie diet and daily exercise program. The only problem is that after I stoped taking it my cravings started coming back little by little. I now have the same cravings to eat as I deed before I started.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: January 28

I've been on this medication for 9 months now and have lost 84lbs. Most side effects that i did experience went away after the first few months. You do need to exercise alot and maintain a healthy diet. I have 26lbs left to lose and although it seems the effectiveness of the drug is a lot less i will continue to use it dispite the high cost.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 15

My blood pressure went for 100/64 to 147/75, not good. I got the drug in Mexico and was just taking it on my own, checking my blood pressure. I lost 10 lbs in 1 month. Have to quit because of my blood pressure.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 30

Wonderful! I've lost 12lbs in 2 weeks. 10mg tab. Full feeling most of the day. Dry mouth on occasion, but good to drink more water anyway. No other side effects. A bit high in cost, but I'm not eating as much- a good balance.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: mississippi, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 11

this med really works I lost 12lbs in my first week only not to mention that the med itself made me very full and also controlled my cravings

Comment from: BeverlyR, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 27

I started a month ago and have lost 12 pounds. I work out 3-5 times a week at Curves Smart and have severely restricted my food intake and do not cheat. I feel great and full of energy. Doc kept me at 10 mg for the second month since I have had positive results. I am faithful to working out and have gone from 175 to 163 in a month. I will continue to take it as long as I can to reach my goal. It has been a life saver for me in controlling my appetite. I highly recommend. I have not always been this heavy in weight. Just four years ago I was a size 8. But stress over a divorce and career change caused me to loose track of taking care of myself. Now, I am ready to take my body back. Drug is rather expensive, but what I save in food costs makes up the difference. I can watch other people around me eat ice cream and snacks and I just don't want them anymore.

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 05

I have been taking this medication for 4 months and have lost 20 pounds. I wasn't extremly overweight to begin with, but very depressed with how much weight I let myself gain, and started the medication weighing 180lbs. This pill does help with appetite control and portion sizes but it is not a "magic bullet" you have to be mindful of what you eat, and exercise. The life style changes are just as important.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 17

Helped me to feel full quicker. Loved the results!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 02

I HAVE BEEN USING MERIDIA FOR 4 MONTHS NOW THE ONLY THING IS THAT I STARTED TO BLEED DURING CYCLES

Related Reading: meridia

Comment from: mmurshedi, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 30

I started on Meridia in Oct (it's now end of Jan) I have lost at least 25 lbs. The only side effect I experienced was dry mouth, which was OK since I needed to drink more water. I also started walking and then added a gym workout. I started running/jogging the first of Jan. I have gone from a size 14 to a 6. I am totally delighted with the results and will run/walk in my first 5K in Feb (I'll be 60 in Jul). It helps you stay on a healthy eating plan but you do need to exercise. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is serious about losing weight.

Related Reading: meridia | dry mouth

Comment from: jmc, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 05

I started this in AUgust and have lost 19 lbs so far. I have copd so excercise is not much of an option. I do as much as i can tolerate. I am very ahppy and have had no side effects

From WebMD Logo