Methylin Oral Solution

Comment from: towandagal, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 23

I was diagnosed with ADD and severe depression by a psychrist. I have been on many many anti-depressants. The medication that helped me the most was Methylin Oral. I was passed on to many Doctors way too often and began to feel like a guini pig so I stopped believing in mental health drugs all together. Thank you so much for listening, I would like to hear from someone who believes in me. Sincerely, Nancy Rainford

Related Reading: mental health

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 01

Before starting this medication I was having difficulty with daily tasks. I put ice cream in the cupboard and couldnt remember if I had washed my hair already or not while in the shower. Since begining the medication, I have been able to focus and remember what I had and hadnt done yet. Its not a full proof medication, the "to-do" lists are still a required aid.

Comment from: kellye, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 27

i have more energy, i can oncentrate better and deal with everyday tasks that i once couldn't do. i still have to make a todo list, but everything gets done and i can also deal with my childern in a more effictive way. i love this drug.

Comment from: John, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 09

My Presciption 40mgs/day (I only take 20-30 though) After taking this medication for a month now, it has been very good for me so far. The first week being on this med I was skeptical, and it didn't seem to be working very well, but I decided to go a couple more weeks, to see what happens. It seems like once I got to my 3rd week the Ritalin started working better, I know people say it is a stimulant, so it should work immediantley, but I think people don't understand that although it works the first time it may not work right till your body gets used to it. Here are my pros and cons of it so far: Pros: -Better Focus, yeah I still get distracted from time to time, but It's WAY easier to focus and concentrate. -My Vision looks sharper, almost like how a T.V. is when you turn up the contrast. -Better a video games... Hey I'm a college student this stuff is important too lol. -Slightly more sociable, a little less shy -I feel more like a "Normal" person Cons: -Slightly increased heart rate 72bpm to 80-90bpm -I get irrated easier -Occasional mild depression when it is wearing off -Desire to take more, it's scary (I DO NOT do this though) -Decreased Appetite If you're on this med, don't be too quick to judge, give it a month and see if it starts working better.

Related Reading: ritalin

Comment from: 7-12 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 26

Seems to get better reviews for older patients, I don't think it works for children very well at all. My stepson has been on this medication for a little over two years and the side effects just keep getting worse. He seems to go a little further into his own world every day.

Comment from: sinkingintograce, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 08

I've been taking it for a month, and the first week it was amazing. I could concentrate on everything, and my mood was even better. Now though, only a month later I can't even tell when I don't take it other than when I don't I feel more moody, less happy. Not helping the ADD anymore, and my mood wasn't this bad before. I feel like my mood depends on this drug and I don't like that.

Comment from: brandonsgram97!aol.com, 7-12 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 24

he has been dianoised with this when he was 5 and has been on at least 10 different medications. And this one does not work either.it has made him so mean.Please give us some advice.

Comment from: dar65325, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 28

it gives me headaches, irritable, tired but cant sleep, makes my fibromyalgia and distonia worse!!! I HATE IT. The name brand Ritlin works Very Well. and so does the NAME BRAND adderall. But my insurance keeps REFUSING to ok the name brand. they say I have to try some of the others and it just IS NOT RIGHT !!!

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: Steve R R, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 17

AN OPTION for some:Methylphenidate is one of the pills the Docs put me on to help alertness during the day. NOTE: I do not have ADHA !. The alertness problem is probably caused by other meds along with a "thing" they call DEPRESSION. IMPORTANT: I WAS ON PROVIGIL FOR ABOUT A YEAR BEFORE MY INSURER PULLED IT. Provigil maintained a steady, even, alertness (not a high) all day for me and wore off in the evening. I had very little insomnia . AND PROVIGIL DID NOT PRODUCE ADDITIONAL ANXIETY in my case. Methylphenidate is to much like coffee, going up and down, up and down, and it's hard to find correct doses for an acceptable result. Also, my experience is that a TOLERENCE to Methylin occurs FAST. My Doctor warned me about this. A few times a month I radically lower the dose and go through some rotten withdrawal on purpose. Otherwise tolerence develops quickly over about 4-8 days and the methylphenidate's effectiveness, in my case would require increasing dosages(very bad news). With PROVIGIL, tolerance was negligible. If you are looking for that which helps alertness along with better concentration (how can one concentrate well when one is just about to fall asleep?)...if you can afford it, try to ask your Doc to let you try Provigil. For me and my health situation PROVIGIL was far far superior to METHYLPHENIDATE (AKA RITALIN), and if I could afford it, I would revert to Provigil and I am trying to find some $ to offset the cost differential. My doctor agrees and actully apologized that I was going from that which worked very well, to an inferior med solution (FOR MY PARTICULAR CASE). HEY OUT THERE ... May your health improve no matter what, and may we all arrive at a point where we need no pills or any medicine to thrive. Steve R R

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | ritalin

Comment from: anatomyhardcore, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 06

just started the medication yesterday, i noticed not long after that i focus on one thing at a time instead of my mind constantly running 90 miles an hour over everything you can imagine, i was actually able to focus on what my child was doing instead of day dreaming away. cant wait to go back to school on tuesday to see just how much this medication will help me. so far no side effects, but some weight loss might be a welcomed side effect for me :)

Comment from: 7-12 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: March 10

My Son is on Methylin and it gives him headaches. He also experienced a nose bleed but not sure if the medication was the cause of this even though side affect suggest some bleeding. Abilify is a great alternative and Risperdel.

Related Reading: abilify

Comment from: anatomyhardcore, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 04

this is a follow up to my post at the beginning of september. After being on it for a month roughly it doesnt last me through the day like i need it to and i have started to headaches as it wears off, orginally went with this for the low cost, $4.00 at walmart, but i think im gonna ask my dr if i can try vyvanse?

Related Reading: vyvanse

Comment from: Toubbeh, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 04

This mediation is an amphetamine basically and it made me feel like I was on 1000 cups of coffee.. I didn't sleep for two days, my heart was pounding, and I felt drugged the entire time. It forces your brain to use up its neurotransmitters and then when you stop you crash. It is so odd that everyone knows that meth amphetamine is bad for you but if your doc writes an Rx for a stimulant drug like this then it is okay?

Related Reading: amphetamine

Comment from: wantstobenormal, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 28

Dr. gave me this bc it was cheaper than Adderall XR (which worked like a charm) but this isn't helping at all. In fact it is causing other issues....like I am super ill and snap with little control of myself. It doesn't just limit my talking... I don't want to talk at all.... and I don't want to hear anyone else talk either.... not even on tv. And I am suppose to take it 2 times a day....well the second time I can't even remember if I took it or not. And it doesn't help me focus.... instead I kind of zombie out and don't think at all... I just stare. It makes me ill and paranoid....I miss my adderall

Related Reading: adderall

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 02

My daughter who is 7 took this medicine and she has had bad stomach aches and vomiting with this drug.

Comment from: kikipalm, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 03

I have taken just about every bipolar and depression drug, I gave up after a while. After countless dr.'s, I finally found a dr. that gave me this medication. I call it my miricle drug!!! I has worked fantastic and I am so happy to be able to function again!

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: leslie, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 10

I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. When I'm not feeling so bad sometimes I can get by with a nap during the day, but my energy level is always low. When the Chronic Fatigue kicks in, sometime I will stay in bed for 4-5 days just falling in and out of sleep. When that happens I usually am awake only about 6 hours per day. My doctor prescribed this drug to help me stay awake, but at 5mg I don't think it is doing anything. Does anyone else have any additional experience as a patient with this drug for a similar condition?

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | fatigue

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

This has helped a lot with my focus issues and brought me success in school. It has helped me get through my depression but I it has limited other feelings. For example, I cannot feel as excited as I used to or as nervious as I used to. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I has had no help in terms of sleep. I still struggle with insomnia.

Related Reading: insomnia

ADHD Symptoms in Children See Slideshow
Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 16

i would be dumb founded. not a clue what to do first. i am also suffering with other disorders as well as depression. but this medication is helping me think clearer and lose weight. i give it a thumbs up.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: [email protected], 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 20

I've been using methylin 20mgs for over 10 years now. I acqired a brain injury in 95'due to being ejected from mv by drunk driver.my treatment with this has been up and down, good times and and verybad to.Overall it helps my ADHD and balances out my other meds and helps out w/ my energy level.

Comment from: jungle, Female Published: December 13

just one isnt enough-i use 2.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 01

I have been taking this med for about 6 weeks. I needed a refill, I was without the med for 24hrs. and was very sleepy and lethargic. I felt withdrawal symptoms. Once I took med again my "sick" feeling went away.

Comment from: Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 09

It works without any noticible side affects compared to adderall

Related Reading: adderall

AN OPTION for some:Methylphenidate is one of the pills the Docs put me on to help alertness during the day. NOTE: I do not have ADHA !. The alertness problem is probably caused by other meds along with a "thing" they call depression. I don't really know. IMPORTANT: I WAS ON PROVIGIL FOR ABOUT A YEAR BEFORE MY INSURER PULLED IT. Provigil maintained a steady, even, alertness (not a high) all day for me and wore off in the evening. I had very little insomnia . AND PROVIGIL DID NOT PRODUCE ADDITIONAL ANXIETY in my case. Methylphenidate is to much like coffee, going up and down, up and down, and it's hard to find correct doses for an acceptable result. Also, my experience is that a TOLERENCE to Methylin occurs FAST. My Doctor warned me about this. A few times a month I radically lower the dose for several days, and go through some rotten withdrawal on purpose. Otherwise tolerence develops quickly over about 4-8 days and the methylphenidate's effectiveness, in my case would require increasing dosages(very bad news). With PROVIGIL, tolerance was negligible. If you are looking for that which helps alertness along with better concentration (how can one concentrate well when one is just about to fall asleep?)...if you can afford it, try to ask your Doc to let you try Provigil. For me and my health situation PROVIGIL was far far superior to METHYLPHENIDATE (AKA RITALIN), and if I could afford it, I would revert to Provigil and I am trying to find some $ to offset the cost differential. My doctor agrees and actully apologized that I was going from that which worked very well, to an inferior med solution (FOR MY PARTICULAR CASE). HEY OUT THERE ... May your health improve no matter what, and may we all arrive at a point where we need no pills or any medicine to thrive. YOU ARE NOT ALONE with your health problems. Never give up..please. I tried once and well...just never ever give up... Steve R R In The Great Pacific Northwest of USA and CANADA 11-17-2008

Related Reading: methylphenidate | provigil | insomnia

Comment from: DawnB, 7-12 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 30

My son is 10 years old and has been taking Ridalin since he was 6 years old along with 36mg of Concerta in the morning. His origial doseage was 5mg twice a day once at 4PM and again at 7PM however last year I spoke with our family DR and informed him that it seemed as though at times it made it to where he could not go to sleep he would lay there in bed and stare at the ceiling or mess around for 3-4 hours after going to bed so we decided to cut out the 7PM dosage. However, he still has this problemm at times. I have also noticed that there are times that this medicine seems to help and then other times he still bounces off the wall so I have had mixed feelings about it. I am thinking it is time to re-evaluate him and maybe try something differant.

Related Reading: concerta