Micardis

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 20

Started taking drug 4months ago after a prolonged use of Hyzaar and found this to be working quite well. Previously was subject to spiking of B/P to stroke levels, but despite extreme stress situations, moving, husband repeatedly hospitalized, I have not had any problems and have been maintaining a BP of 120/80 for past 3 months.

Related Reading: hyzaar | stroke | stress

Comment from: dori67, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 09

I've been on Micardis for a few months, with very good results as far as BP numbers go. However, I have had horrible muscle cramps, including feeling like I "threw my back out" after NOT having injured it. I didn't realize that these symptoms were potential side effects of this medicine until recently. I will likely not discontinue use of it as I have had otherwise positive results.

Related Reading: micardis | muscle cramps

Comment from: concerned, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 14

I have had skipping heart beats, rashes and skin problems and believe this drug may have contributed to my being scheduled for a heart catheter procedure to determine why my stress test produced abnormal results. Not to scare anyone I do have an athletic heart (normal low heart beat)that I understand can cause false positives. However, the other side effects, dry skin, anxiety, weakness, fatigue etc, in addition to those mentioned above and by other authors is very troubling. I have heard about the cancer issue and suggest follow up with physicians. I asked my cardiologists and he had heard about it and plans to research and discuss the issue with me further. In addition, the medicine has no generic and can therefore, be expensive. I hope to be taken off it soon and hopefully find an alternative effective generic combination that works. The problem is in combination with norvasc and hctz, micardis has been very effective. I run a lot and other drugs were causing me problems in working out. I had to be taken off of those and the above combination was found effective. The thing to remember (as I thing most of us that have been dealing with high blood pressure for a while) is that there are many different blood pressure medications available. Don't be afraid to work with your doctor and pharmacist in order to find the best combination for you. We must be our own patient advocates. I plan to get off of micardis if I can find a cost effective alternative.

Related Reading: dry skin | anxiety | fatigue

Comment from: Brunno01, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 07

This drug has caused the most minor injury or small pin size skin puncture to bleed out of control. Even when I applied a bandage or pressure it did not stop the bleeding immediately but took abotu 15 to 20 min. This drung really worked to control my blood pressure and I had no side effects other than this bleeding problem which really worried me. The only other problem was the difficulty I had getting this drug out of the blister packets because of my arthiritis in my hands.

Comment from: xdaisygirlx, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 27

Started taking this in February 2010. It is now June 2010 and my BP is lowered greatly. However, I can't help but think this pill is making me emotionally unstable. I've never been this irritable in my life. I'm always dizzy & I my eyes even feel weird, all the time. My back hurts like crazy & I think I may even be getting anxiety because of these. I want off of these pills but I'm too scared that my BP will rise again. Anyone else experience this?

Comment from: tiredofmeds, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 24

I have only been on this medication for about 3-4 weeks for high blood pressure and I have to get off. I believe it has made me swell (even more)and cause joint pain (knees).

Related Reading: high blood pressure

Comment from: Candice930, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 01

been taking Micardis for 4 years now.Seems to keep blood pressure in a normal range for most of the day but as the evening goes on and it gets closer to my next dose pressure goes up to about 157/92 (I take my meds at night) Have told The doc this many times did not seemed concerned until my last echo cardigram showed my aortic artery is now measured at a 4.3 diameter and normal is 3.5 this has me very concerned about the length of time Micardis is working for me in a 24 hour period. Don't think I would have noticed this if I took my meds in morning. Well now Ive been put on bystolic a beta blocker just took my first dose tonight. I can't help but think that Micardis has played some part in my aortic artery problem since it was not keeping my pressure down all the time.I would recommend for everyone to check their pressure a couple of hours before your next dose just to be safe. and also after a stressful day your med if working properly should hold your pressure to normal regardless of stress level. wish they would package it to be alittle easier to get out of blister pack.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 04

I had SERIOUSLY high b/p (normally 180/115). Took this and it is back down to normal (120/80). I had a few side effects in the beginning...first week I just felt WIERD. LIKE REALLY WIERD. Hard to explain but it was like I couldn't settle down and just felt very strange. After that - it went away. I've been on it for about 3 weeks and although my b/p is great, I am still quite tired from the medication. Staying on it and hoping that it passes.

Comment from: Ron G, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 19

This stuff isa killing me - bone & muscle aches, headaches, tired beyond belief at times. I'm getting off this ASAP.

Comment from: elizabeth, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 07

Brings my blood pressure down but have low backpain. Treatment now for one month. Anyone else having back problems? No other symtons.

Comment from: meemo, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 20

have responded well to Micardis, however, have had episodes of ear aches, ear infection, tinnitis and hearing loss....wondering if anyone else has had this problem

Related Reading: micardis | ear infection | hearing loss

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 16

My satisfaction with this drug would be improved if I, as a female, did not have to trade improved blood pressure for baldness. This is a definite - and NOT rare - side effect if the forums of hundreds (possibly thousands) of women including me are to be believed. Being told we should be grateful by an idiot male doctor who has no idea how devastating this is for women is the final insult.

Comment from: daddylonglegs, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 09

Does what it is supposed to do. Effectiveness is diminished if taken with any juices, many side effects, such as dry skin, headaches, dizziness and muscle cramps can be eliminated by drinking LOTS of water. Have to use scisors to get into the blister pack.

Related Reading: dry skin | dizziness | muscle cramps

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 09

This medication at 80 mg dosage gives you NO energy level to speak of. Your body doesn't seem to want to do anything. I am a busy person but the life seems to be depleted out of me

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 03

I am not satisfied with macardis because it has caused me to have skin rashes and sehborric dermatis. I have a dry skin and alot of hair loss that I did not have before using this drug. My bp seem to have gone down but now my skin is very dry, I itch all over, my mouth is dry and I have lost so much of my hair. Most of all my heart feels like it skips a beat sometimes.

Related Reading: hair loss | itch

Comment from: zoe , 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 27

muscle spasm in legs at night, also in fingers and toes during early evening hours. had to stop taking drug because of this problem.

Comment from: kbimbers, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 14

I have been taking Micardis for 4 years after starting with Lisinopril/HCTZ (horrible drug!). It has brought my BP down from 180/112 to 118/68. But, my hair is thinning, I am always tired, any exertion causes me to feel like my chest will explode, and it causes excessive sweating (not great for a woman in menopause) and the blister pack is a pain to get into! This is the only BP med I am on at 40mg once a day but I am starting to "get tired" of the side effects. For me, cost is nominal since we have very good insurance but I was told by my doctor that there will be a generic version coming out in 2013. I am going to file my side effects with the FDA just in case.

Related Reading: lisinopril | excessive sweating | menopause

Comment from: HBrady2007, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 31

I switched from using Lisinopril and have a much better experience. I don't have the stupid cough anymore. I am under a lot of stress lately but my blood pressure is great. I haven't had any noticable side-effects except the opposite of what the diarraria is but then it might be the stress. I have been thinking a lot clearer. Not sure about the weight gain...but I have been working out more. I feel lucky after reading what some of the others have experienced. I want to lose the weight and get off of medication all together!

Related Reading: lisinopril | cough | stress

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 07

Does anyone experience eye problems with this med? I have been feeling like my eyes are crossed which makes me feel disoriented. Its been occurring most of the day, off and on. More on than off. Not good. I'm on 40mg.

Comment from: DCT, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 05

It has worked well to control my HBP. My only concern is when I exercise or go up stairs. By the time I reach the top of 40 steps it feels like my chest is going to explode. Other than that it has worked great.

Comment from: Garlic7, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 16

Much preferable to the 1st drug I took for HBP, Vasotec. Vasotec left me feeling tired, fatigued & unwilling to execise as I normally did, despite a low 5 mg dose. No side effects with Micardis after almost 3 years, maybe a slight increase in itchiness, but am not really sure. Best thing is HBP is under control !

Related Reading: vasotec | micardis

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 19

Was on lisinoprol for awhile and was switched to Mircadis. Got rid of my severe cough but now it's back and cannot sleep at night! Have a terrible time breathing and have to sit up a lot on the side of the bed through the night. Not plesed at all. Getting off this asap!

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 03

Taking this medication along with tarka 420 my blood pressure has stayed around 117/75 for over 3 years.

Related Reading: tarka

Comment from: Dick, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 19

Too expensive and packaging is really a bummer! Does anyone share my feeling that it affects vision?

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 01

experienced sinus headaches, muscle aches, stomach problems.tired all the time was on for 6 months now on other medication.