Micardis HCT

Comment from: nancyb011761, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 04

I have been taking Micardis for almost 2 years but never had a problem till recently. The end Oct. I quit taking because I always felt tired. I have tried taking it several times since them only to end up with a sinus headache, fever, chills and then I feel completely drained and sleepy. Is anyone eles having any problems like these.

Related Reading: micardis | headache | fever

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 11

I experianced fatigue and it appeared to affect my short term memory. I stopped taking it because I was tired all the time. Once I stopped taking it my energy level increased. The drug did reduce my blood pressure significantly. It went from borderline high to perfect.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 15

Fourth day of useage. second day, i had to break the pill in half to 20 MG. Original doseage was 40 MG. I felt a rapid heart beat all night after taking the 40 MG's. Past three days, using the 20 MG, I feel as though my body has calmed down. I find more frequent calls for urination, although I realize it is a dieuretic.i have a return appointment with the Dr. next week, we will determine the results of the Micardis HC. I will be back with the update.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 19

i have taken this for almost 3 years, it got my bp down to normal, but the side effects were terrible. hives and rash jyper active, dizzy, swelling in hands, happens most at night no sleep. if you take pain killers and anti inflamitory meds do not take this!!!!!!!!

Related Reading: hives | rash

Comment from: tng68x, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 06

Dose was increased to 160/25 and now I have developed double vision and my left eye jumps and turns inward. I feel tired a lot. My b/p is controlled but I can not tolerate this disruption in my vision. It was helpful to read that someone else had eye problems. Anyone else out there with this problem??

Related Reading: double vision

Comment from: ChiChi, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 19

Have been on this for a little over 2 years. My blood pressure was borderline high. I believe it has kept my blood pressure from consistently staying in the high range. However, after seeing family members with one symptom after another from being on various medications, and reading reviews on various websites, I really am going to put all my efforts into getting off of this and my other med, by losing weight and becoming more active. Side effects from drugs are no joke.

Comment from: kenny9049, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 20

i was the guy who wrote on a review down below about my first day. well here i am about 4 weeks later and my bp dropped to the best of 123 over 96. it never went further than that yet, but this drug is good and the swelling in my hands went totally down and i have no headaches anymore. i am going to stop smoking next week (try anyway) but by doing that that should lower my pressure back to normal. i took a blood test, ekg, a chest xray and a physical yesterday so maybe something could be wrong because of my high blood pressure , but ill wait and see. wish me luck. i think smoking has alot to do with it though. all in all though this drug did its job. no swelling ,headaches, and i am not tired anymore. i highly recommend this drug for high blood pressure! hope this helps. take care, kenny

Related Reading: smoking | high blood pressure

Comment from: Anita48, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 26

I am wondering if Micardis makes a person cough. I've had a nagging cough since being on it.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 28

caregiver for 76 yr old aunt. You had better be really careful taking this med. Aunt totally passed out, white, eyes rolled back, hospital dr said very low sodium due to many years on this drug. Hospital dr. took her off it. This was 2 years ago. After few months regular dr. put her back on it for ankle swelling. She has had dizziness, diarhea, confusion and kidney disease! Last week back in hospital - very low sodium again! This can cause death! Hospital dr. took her off Micardis HCT again and told reg. dr. NOT to put her back on it! Also many of you said to drink lots of water, but if you do you are FLUSHING the sodium, potassium etc out of your system and making the problem worse. If you continue to take this drug drink sports drinks with electrolytes as well as water and have your sodium levels monitored. In my opinion this is a bad drug!

Related Reading: dizziness | micardis hct

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 17

I've had high blood pressure for about 25 yrs. in early 2007 a 6 1/2 cm tumor on left adrenal gland was found and removed. The adrenal gland has a big influence on blood pressure. Over the yrs I have found that: 1 - if on more than 2 differnet BP drugs, see a kidney specialist. They are the true BP experts. 2 - If you develope a cronic cough, it can be your BP meds, expecially Ace Inhibitors. 3- I'm on Coreg and Micardis now and they are working for me. I've tried the generic Coreg twice and BP went up, so generics don't always work. 4- Micardis, the small pills are very hard to open. I've recently been switched to the larger 80mg time release pill and they are much easier. However, not sure they are going to work as well as the 40 mg twice a day. Insurance co made my doc switch me. We may have to fight it, if my pressure continues to be higher from time to time. 5 - It's important to take your BP medicine. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor to try something else. Not all drug work for everyone. It's often trial and error at times to find the right ones for you. Also what works great for a while may stop working.

Comment from: Pearlie, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been taking Micardis, 40mg. and a separate hydrochlorothiazide pill, 25mg. I was taking the HCT before the Micardis was substituted for other drugs that were causing problems. Took the combination for about a year, and suddenly my blood glucose shot up very high, after always having normal readings. My hair began to thin extremely, and my vision became blurry. I thought I had read on the Micardis package insert that diabetes was one of the possible side effects, but my dr. denies this, and I cannot find this information again. However, the side effects of HCT are listed as dehydration, dry mouth, thirst, hair loss, blurred vision, which I had all of. I stopped taking the HCT, and shortly after, the dry mouth and thirst disappeared completely. The hair loss seemed to be lessening, and hair might be growing back in again. In the meantime, dr. will not stop the Micardis because he swears it has nothing to do with the glucose levels. So I am still taking it, but worrying every day that I swallow that pill. I am writing on this board to caution you about the diuretic portion of the Micardis HCT. These symptoms sneak up on us and as for me, it took me awhile to figure out what was causing them, if I have. I prefer to take the diuretic separately from the bp drug, as it gives me more control over the dosages and necessity for them. I will go on another diuretic and see if I can avoid those problems. If anyone has information about a Micardis package insert stating that diabetes is a possible side effect, please let me know. The Micardis is very effective in lowering my bp, but since I stopped taking the HCT, the bp has been a few points higher, but still in a pretty good range. I will start Lasik, which I hope will bring the bp back down. It was running about 110/70 or thereabouts.

Related Reading: micardis | diabetes | dehydration

Comment from: cz, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 20

I RECENTLY HAVE BEEN GETTING A FEW LEG CRAMPS AND MOST RECENTLY I EXPERIENCED A PROBLEM WITH MY CALF MUSCLES AND PAIN IN THE BACK OF MY KNEES. I AM TRYING TO DETERMINE IF IT IS ADVISABLE TO TAKE A MAG. SUPPLEMENT WITH THIS MED.

Comment from: happy2bme, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 04

It helps to drink a large amount of water with the pill. Best when taken first thing in the morning. Remember to stay hydrated on this med, I can become dehydrated on it.

Comment from: labmom, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 25

Dr prescribed this drug for BP. I took this for 5 months did not like what was happening. I advised my Dr. that my hands were always numb and tingling when I woke up. He attributed this to my many years of computer work. So I continued for 2 more months until I could not hold my cup, bowl or anything until about 2 hours after I was up and about. I am only 53 not 93. I told him I am not taking this drug anymore. After 3 months the numbness and tingling has gone. My bp is very good. I only take caduet and that is working just fine. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

Related Reading: caduet

How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 29

just started bp 1st day 201/143 extreme swelling in hands tiredness, 2nd day bp 181/134 hand swelling going down less worried. my weight is 260 planning on quiting smoking and loosing weight 38 years old. will my blood pressure ever go down to normal? will i ever come off these pills? i am really nervous about my health now seeing what a bad heart can do. my father died 2 years ago from blockages. this medication is helping but wish it would bring my pressure down to normal by day 2 lol. a little note: dont go off it when feeling better because when i did my pressure went up and my hands swelled again, i did have once adominal pain and thats why i stopped the meds on my own. i started again and all is ok. i feel better , no headaches, and no more hard breathing going up stairs. i do feel different on this medication. i feel that my heart is being less taxed. i recommend this drug to anyone at this point. i just want to see when my pressure will go to normal levels. hope this helps.

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 20

I was severely allergic. Swelling on one side of my throat and feeling like it would burst or I would stroke out. Also very sore back and arm muscles and tired feeling.

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: hrkrn, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 16

My doctor first prescribed 80/12.5 to me. I could barely function, I nearly fainted and felt horrible. I cut it in half and take it at bedtime and feel some better.

Comment from: KIM, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 07

While taking this drug I have exsperianced painful urination and a onion like spell when urinating.

Comment from: t_weir, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 28

I was given this after I developed a cough on the ace inhibitor. I like this much better.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 01

Was on years ago, and switched. Now back on it, and as feared, withing 2 months have gained 20 pounds back. When I stopped taking it, I lost 35 lbs.

Comment from: booskitten, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 16

un-controlable hypertension, tried med for 8 weeks, no change in bp. however, swelling in ankles, fatigue, nausea, headaches, bloating, over all felling of ill.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: lookout, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 06

Recently bumped up to 80/25mg. It has worked perfectly on reducing my bp but started having some issues with sinuses, hemmroids, and gout. Finally got around to reading the paperwork inside the box and it says all are side effects with drug. Consulting with doctor to change medicine.

Related Reading: gout

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 01

It has lowered my bp too low. Also feel woozy, and tired, and lightheaded. Also, my memory is hard to access....even a word naming an object in front of me is hard to access...and I am only 44. Will tt doctor.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 06

seemed to develope a cough. has anyone else experienced this?

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 17

no dizziness, only slight problems when I stand up too fast. Blood pressure went from chronically high to consistently perfect! I have more energy now, and feel better than I have in years

Related Reading: dizziness