Monurol

Comment from: lroos1, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 23

Monurol is an excellent medication for UTI, and I always have severe UTI infections, horrible pain, burning, severe urgency, etc.... this medication is a godsend. It has worked everytime for UTI and they stay gone. However, this medicine is not commonly prescribed so it is hard to obtain from pharmacy's as they NEVER seem to carry it. It always has to be ordered in and when you have a severe uti with severe symptoms its inhumane to have to wait a day or two till pharmacy can get it in stock, and they never carry it after that either so I have to go through this everytime I need it. Other thing was my insurance denied to cover it this time, I couldn't wait for an override so I had to pay cash. Its a great medication and it works, anyone not getting relief from other antibiotics should definetly try this med. It will clear it up.

Related Reading: monurol

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 29

I was on holidays in Spain, as soon as I got symptoms of UTI I went to pharmacy & they gave me Monurol 3g -2 sachets taken 24 hours apart. Symptoms disappeared after 3 hours & did not return. This is better than taking antibiotics for a week & then finding it hasn't really worked!

Comment from: hopethishelps, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 05

My mother is 97 years old and in excellent health (mentally as well as physically), but she has been plagued by urinary tract infections. Her regular doctor kept giving her Cipro which would only work for awhile. This summer she came to visit me, got a urinary tract infection, took her to a local doctor, and it was a nurse practitioner who suggested Monurol. I couldn't believe that all my mother had to do was drink the medication once (instead of weeks of pills). I even called the pharmacy to make sure I wasn't misreading the directions! And it absolutely worked! It felt like a miracle to my mother - and me! I don't know why EVERY DOCTOR isn't prescribing Monurol. Is it that the pharmaceutical company (I noticed that it's made in Switzerland) isn't giving physicians enough "perks"?????

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 24

Only side effects were one time of diarrhea and a headache that was taken care of with tylenol. Such a wonderful drug to treat a Uti without all of the horrible side effects. Symptoms felt better everyday and I am 14 weeks pregnant so very safe to use. I would def ask for it again if ever needed.

Related Reading: diarrhea | headache | tylenol

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 22

Cipro does not always work best with me, and I am surprised that 2 different doctors both at the same Patient First had not heard of it. Why I ask? It works so well. Also suprised that both Monurol and Macrobid did not show up on your site unless searched by name and not by condition. Need to get with the program everyone!

Related Reading: macrobid

Comment from: Anna, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 01

I'm allergic to certain antibiotics including Cipro and amoxicillin. These are some of the common drugs used to treat UTI. When my doctor ordered this drug, I was skeptical but it was very easy to use. Just one dose and I had no reaction to it at all. I would recommend it and use it again if necessary.

Related Reading: amoxicillin

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 15

I have never used monurol before and thought that a one dose antibiotic was a good idea. Althought my symptoms were relieved with in 2&1/2 hours, the S/E's were awful. I felt like I had been kicked up and down the back, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea and fatigue. I will never use this drug again. I had to take a day and a half off work. The third day after taking it I woke up feeling great and I'm not sure the infection is gone yet. I'll choose macrobid for 7 days please!!!

Related Reading: monurol | abdominal pain | fatigue

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 04

I had UTI while I was travelling at Switzerland last year. I went to the Zurich University Hospital and the doctor kindly prescribed me the drug. I took one sachet and I was alright within two hours. The drug is very effective. Like others, I was wondering why it is not available in Australia.

Comment from: justweems, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 24

Although I haven't had a UTI in decades I had sudden symptoms while backpacking in Italy: frequency, minimal output, painful spasms, incontinence, and burning. With limited medical options available I stopped by a pharmacy. They found someone who spoke English and she sold me Monuril Adulti 3 g. She told me to drink one packet that afternoon and one the next morning. I was skeptical since I was familiar with the 7 day antibiotic regiment but my options were limited and I was suffering. Within 24 hours my symptoms were gone. It's been 2 weeks and no indication of recurrence. I'm just now looking this medication up online and see that you should only take one dose but I don't remember experiencing any of the listed side effects. I'm wondering why this isn't used in the USA... so simple, inexpensive, and seemingly effective within very short period. WebMD says not to take more than 1 dose which is a concern but I'm so thankful to the Italian pharmacist who provided a means to get rid of the painful spasms and incontinence I was experiencing.

Comment from: Babu, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 10

I am allergic to 5 different antibiotics. When I got a UTI, my doctor was stumped, then decided to try Monorul. It works great! Easy to take 1 dose and I haven't experienced any side effects- just the normal antibiotic one - diarreaha. In California it is VERY expensive. After insurance, it its $95.00! But, at least it works great. From reading here, I wish I was in Italy or Spain, where it is inexpensive- but that's the US for you.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 15

I was in France and got a UTI. When I get these they are fast and severe. I had always been given meds. like Cypro which make me sick to my stomach for hours. I didn't believe this 1 sachet would work. I took one dose and was completely free of symptoms within 2 hours. I spent another 2 weeks traveling without any re-occurrence. I will be asking my doctors why they are not prescribing this. This medication was so effective for me that I took a present to the pharmacist who recommended it. Talk to your doctor and give it a try.

Comment from: European, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 12

I was prescribed this medication in Germany for UTI. It is named there Monuril. It comes in 1 sachel with 8 g of powder and is an antibiotic. This one works the best out of all other medications (pills) for me and is super easy to use. Indeed you have to use it 2 hours after or before the meal for the best effect.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 22

I'm on holiday in Italy when I started with the UTI, I had pain in my stomach and bad burning when I urinated. I sent my husband to. The pharmacy for me and he brought me this medicine back. I felt relief within a couple of hours, I've only taken the 1st sachet, and I'm still suffering with a small amount of pain when I urinate, but I'm quite confident by morning once I take my 2nd sachet I will have no symptoms at all. Its worth noting you have to take on an empty stomach, and not eat for a good few hours afterward. I'm fortunate my father-in-law reads Italian or I wouldn't of known.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 16

This mediction works after a few hours. Definately does not prevent future problem and UTI can come back within a few days.

Comment from: Colleen, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 19

After several months of treatments witn oral medications and no cure, see I am algergic to Penycilin and was told the type of germ I had I would need intravenous antibiotics so I would have to be admitted to hospital for treatment. I started the intravenous, first drug did not work, tried another drug did not work,after a week in te hospital and no cure, my urologist used this medicine and I was cured seemed like instantly! I had a urinalysis done next morning and no traces of infection existed. Now my dog is dealing with the same thing, not being able to find a medicine that will work on her and we have been dealing with this for months. I cannot afford to put her on intravenous and a stay at the vets for who knows how long. Now I am wondering if this medicine will work on her? If anyone knows, could you let me know so I can pass the information on to my vet. Thank you

Comment from: jia, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 05

I had severe persistent UTI during pregnancy.My doctor prescribed this and within two hour the symptoms were gone.

Related Reading: pregnancy

Comment from: ues, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 26

After taking this drug, I ended in hospial with severe abdominal pain and dizziness until put on oxygen. Very expensive lesson with very little results. Cipro and Macrobid have always worked for me with no side effects

Related Reading: abdominal pain | dizziness | cipro

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 25

I first tried this in Italy, where it is spelled Monuril 3g. It took a little over a day, but it worked! Wasn't told it was an antibiotic. . .

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 14

This was one of the worst UTI's I've ever had. It was so horrible that the pain would take my breath away - I felt like I was urinating glass shards & vinegar. I took the 3g single dose Sunday evening, and today (Tues evening) the burning has all but disappeared. I really feel for those of you in the US. Here in Canada, this costs $19.23 - which is actually on the pricey side for an antibiotic. But it's so much better than suffering cramps, fatigue, nausea and diarrhea for an entire week with standard AB's. I did have diarrhea today, but no cramps or anything else. (though I certainly didn't trust my bowels - it was like water! Lol)

Related Reading: fatigue | diarrhea

Comment from: Janet, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 17

This monurol seems to have helped me,but I'm concerned with the continued use for over a year now..I have been perscibed by Dr's to drink a packet every 10 days..Does anybody else do this? Is this right?

Related Reading: monurol

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 26

Hasn't done a thing. Still symptomatic 3 days later.

Comment from: LupeD, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 18

Was in Paris, the first morning after we arrived I had a horrible UTI. Went to the local pharmacy, where the pharmacist took pity on me and gave me the antibiotic (usually need a prescription). Took it with water at about 10am - by 5pm, I was totally fine. Best? it only cost 6 euros. I wish the doctors here in the US would prescribe this antibiotic. Such a shame that it's not used more widely, at an affordable cost.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 11

took last dose today. I have been still symptomatic all 9 days

Comment from: cureme, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 15

I've suffered from chronic UTI for years. been treated w/all kinds of antibiotic..you name it ..treated as in patient.i've tried it.. work for awhile but always flare up again.. now allergy /resistants to levaquen. nitrofurintonin.finally my new PCM on base gave me munorol to try. taking the dose first time,the pains was was gone on 3rd day.amazing n finally sigh of relief! but it lasted for 2 weeks only. Sent to Urology n given another packet to try. it feels my uti is not getting better.need urine culture if meds not working.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: Vero, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 23

I got immediate relief in a matter of hours from this drug though mild symptoms persisted and after a few days from the initial dose, my infection flared up again. However my doctor said this is because it is a milder antibiotic and should not have been used to treat a case of my severity.

FDA Logo