Nasonex

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 12

I am so glad I found this site! The side effects are absolutely horrible. I thought I was losing my mind. Severe dizziness, headache, sinus pain/pressure, sore throat, blurry vision, eye pain/pressure, fatigue, nausea. I went to the Dr. numerous times to be put on antibiotics, sinus x-rays,CT scan, due to so much pain. Of course they found nothing wrong and could not explain my symptoms. Nasonex was prescribed for me 6 weeks ago, after a week I started having these symptoms and it has progressively gotten worse. I have been off the spray for just a day, after reading this. Other reviewers: please let me know when your symptoms subsided after stopping Nasonex.

Related Reading: dizziness | headache | sore throat

Comment from: Rchawks13, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 17

I am taking this for nasal polypsand sinusitis. I have been on it for almost a year and just switched ENT's. My current ENT told me to stop taking it and listed side effect. Heartburn, Nausea, Dizzyness, Loss of Smell, Loss of taste, headaches, Moodswings, fatigue, extreme muscle and joint pain, sinus infection, wheezing and difficulty breathing, extreme thirst, chapped lips. All of which I am experiencing. This is not the way a 30 year old healthy male (prior to nasonex) should live. My General Physician also told me to never use it again. I have been off of it for 4 days and should start to see side effects going away after 10 days.

Related Reading: heartburn | fatigue | sinus infection

Comment from: nonasonex, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 21

I was prescribed Nasonex for chronic nasal congestion and it worked, really well. I had been on it for about 10 years (2x daily) when I started having digestive problems, severe heartburn and stomach pains. For over a year I went to many specialists and no one could figure out the cause, especially since I had never experienced these symptoms before. Finally, I went to a naturopath who suggested I stop taking the nasonex. I did and I've now been off of it for almost 2 months and I'm getting a lot better, but still not back to normal. My naturopath thinks it will be close to a year before my digestive system gets back to normal. I still cannot sleep laying down. It has been extremely frustrating, but I am so greatful to have found the cause. I wanted to share my experience in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Related Reading: nasonex | heartburn

Comment from: tracey, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 26

Horrible! The side effects were way worse than the sinus drainage I was having to start with. Head pressure, headache, ear pain and popping, sever dizziness, loss of balance, vision problems, eye pain and pressure, neck and shoulder pain, nausea and irritability. I would have never taken even one dose of this if I had known these side effects were possible. I have been off Nasonex for 2 weeks now and the side effects are getting better, but they still haven't gone away!

Comment from: deb, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 18

I have used this product for less than two years. I recently found a natural supplement that works well. I wish I had never started taking this drug. I lost my sense of smell and after stopping it has returned but I smell cigarette smoke all the time even though no one is smoking. Again I am really disappointed.

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: Brian, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 03

Works pretty ell if used correctly. I was previously trying to spray it straight up my nose and inhaling and that is incorrect. It needs to be sprayed at an angle towards the eyes while gently inhaling. This allows it to stay in the sinuses and work where it needs to work. It doesn't relieve 100% of my symptoms, but it helps a lot.

Comment from: Drug Free, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 17

After only using this drug for 2 weeks I lost my sense of smell and taste completely. The only taste I have is sweet and sour and cannot smell anything. It is very upsetting and if I only knew that this could possibly happen I would NEVER have taken this drug! It has ruined a quality of my life and it scares me to think it is given out to young children!

Comment from: honeybun, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 13

Caused more side effects than my allergies did. Lost sense of taste and smell. Food has no taste at all. Headaches, dizzy, head and sinus pressure. Metallic taste in mouth when I was using it. Used it for 3 months. Been off of Nasonex for 2 weeks, still have symptoms but not as severe.

Related Reading: nasonex

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 13

From the first day I started using this Medication I started getting a "Pressure" headach and it got worse every day I used Nasonex until I realized it might be the Nose Spray. So I stopped and within 1 day my headache disappeared. It was not a match for me.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: constantinople, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 27

I am a healthy, 45 y.o. male who took Nasonex for about four years to prevent symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Although the product worked effectively, it caused me to develop subcapsular cataracts in both of my eyes. I will eventually need a lens replacement operation. The product insert indicates a possible risk of cataracts in patients who are predisposed towards them. It also presents data from a study that found no increase in cataract formation. Clearly the long term adverse-effect profile has not been evaluated by Schering-Plough.

Related Reading: cataracts

Comment from: ccssanchez, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 29

Was on this medication for three weeks. At first sinus pain gone then began to notice a loss of taste and smell. Went off a few days, but thought surely the medication would not have caused it. Went about another week and decided to stop it. Have been off it a week and one-half and still can't taste sweet or salty or smell very week. I have noticed that at the back of my tongue I am beginning to get some taste back but almost choke trying to get the food back there to get a little of the taste back. I have not contacted my doctor as I have out of town, but will contact when I get back. I was happy to see someone else had the same problem.

Comment from: Michela, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 18

Nasonex has worked for me but I really don't like taking it. I have been taking it on and off for the past 8 years now. I usually start taking it when my sinus problems really flare up. I have told doctors that I have found that I get bronchitis or a sore throat when I take this drug and they always ignore me. One doctor told me that it couldn't be because I was on this drug. I think I know my body more than anyone to say that I believe my immune system gets shot to hell when I take Nasonex. Right now I have what my doctor believes is croup - that weird baby cough? Yes. Prior to this, less than 3 weeks ago, it was an eye infection and a different type of cough. Very phlemy. I have had more infections in the past 5 months than I've had in the past 5 years. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Related Reading: bronchitis | sore throat | cough

Comment from: stlladyt, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 12

I used this medication for several months many years ago. I stopped using it when I realized that it was causing nosebleeds and nasal irritation. Shortly after I stopped using it, I noticed a whistling in my nose. The whistling eventually stopped only to discover that I have a perforation in my nasal septem--a large hole in the cartilage between the nostrils. I have never used any other nasal spray or cocaine (or any other illicit drug for that matter), which I understand are other causes of this condition. I now live with nearly daily mild nosebleeds and constant congestion with dry, hard incrustations having to be removed every few hours to allow proper breathing. It took a while to realize what caused the problem, but the process of elimination makes it obvious that it was Nasonex.

Related Reading: cocaine

Comment from: Distressed, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 24

I have been on Nasonex for about two years. Last August my hair began to fall out, with accompanying scalp inflammation. All tests were negative. Hair grew back,eventually, but began coming out this August, coinciding with allergy season and use of Nasonex. Again, inflammed scalp, with eye irritation, redness, tightness and blurred vision on occasion. I have also lost sense of taste and have experienced smelling cigarette smoke in my home, when no one is smoking. I have had increased irritablity this summer.I do not take any medications except vitamins, am a very healty 66 year old! Have just completed more blood studies and a scalp biopsy. The culprit seems to be Nasonex, based on process of elimination and also, some smaller studies desribing similar results. I do not recommend this product!!

Related Reading: allergy | smoking | vitamins

QUESTION

Allergies can best be described as: See Answer
Comment from: nanamags, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 24

My prescription plan refused to give me flonase and subsituted nasonex. I looked at box and it was manufactured in Singapore China and I am sorry but I am afraid to inhale anything that is made in China.

Related Reading: flonase | nasonex

Comment from: Ronbo, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 16

I took this Nasonex for Viral Sinusitis. In 2 days had lost all sense of smell. PLEASE STOP AND DO NOT USE. As a Fireman I need my senses to detech Smoke, Natural Gas, Exhaust from boilers etc. and not to mention cooking Firehouse food. If I can't taste,or smell the Dinner burning, they'll throw me out of the kitchen. Had to see ENT Doctor. He prescribed Prednisone 60mg x-7days,40mg x 4days,20mg x 2days,10mg x 1day to attack this aggresively to shrink the swelling around the olfactory nerves that are inflamed. Prednisone has some bad side effects but, only for long-term high doses 60-100mg 1-6 months. To me it's worth it. Just started dose today. I can taste sweet, salty and bitter at this time.

Related Reading: nasonex | prednisone

Comment from: Mark Hope, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 12

Suffered with a lot of nose blowing all my life [particularly for about an hour each morning) and about ten years ago this also seemed to cause my sinuses to become very blocked and painful. Started using the spray about 7 years ago and have improved immensley with all nose blowing stopped and sinuses clearing up and no apparent side effects. Currently have ocular hypertension (high pressure in eyes which bcan lead to glaucoma) and eye specialists have tentatively suggested that this might be due to the spray. My optician checked the possible side effects in an old medical book and ocular hypertension is listed as a rare side effect. Couldn't find confirmation of this online at Nasonex site or this one but been instructed to stop taking the pray for a while as an experiment and will then be tested again to see if pressure reduces. If my ocular hypertension goes away that will be great but I will miss the immense improvements that the spray has undoubtedly achieved. No doubt alternative remedies are available. I will update over the next few momnths as this experiment unfolds.

Related Reading: glaucoma

Comment from: pokerchip11, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 05

I've used nasal sprays on and off for fifteen years. Most of them do have some type of side effect, but for me, it's been worth it. Much better than being terribly congested, which for me = NAUSEA, MIGRAINES, and with all of the phlegm production, CONSTIPATION. I have got to keep my sinuses clear in order to be happy. SO - Here's my opinion on Nasonex: Works great for me - I have not lost my sense of smell or taste. I do not get jittery or cold or nauseous or a headache after use. No nosebleeds or whistling. I have other issues, such as GERD, and this spray doesn't effect it (although I do take Prilosec daily). The only side effects that I experience are a redness at the nostril opening, and a slight burning sensation right after spraying. It is not a mist and therefore I tilt my head slightly forward when using it, and also "clear my throat" spit out any extra medicine (and phlegm) which drips down the back of my throat. I do not swallow it! I'm sure it COULD cause gastric problems if swallowed (just being logical). It works great, for me, and I used two sprays daily in each nostril at first, for about two weeks, and now only need one spray in each nostril daily. If you haven't tried it, it's worth a try.

Related Reading: constipation | headache | gerd

Comment from: AndreaSabino, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 05

I was prescribed this to help clear out a 3 month sinus infection - after 3 weeks of use, I noticed a decrease in taste and smell. As of 1/2/08, I no longer have either at all. It's like living in a vacuum with no senses. Food tastes either sweet, hard, soft or cold. Other than that, only the taste of mint is distinquishable. I called my Dr & he said he'd never heard of this issue w/ Nasonex. I showed him the warning on the package insert & he couldn't say that the loss of senses was due to congestion or Nasonex so he changed me to Rhinocort Aqua. I'm hoping my senses return - I can't imagine going thru life without tasting or smelling again. This is very upsetting.

Related Reading: sinus infection | rhinocort aqua

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 17

It is working on my constant post nasal drip. But I am now experiencing heartburn - has anyone else noticed this side effect?cdi

Related Reading: heartburn

Comment from: beachgurly, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

I have allergies year round, they sometimes turn into sinus infections so I have tried everything, claritin, allegra, etc.Finally a ENT put me on nasonex and it is like a wonder drug. In less than a week, no more stuffiness and I can sleep at night without my nose being stopped up. It is a miracle, I wish I would have tried it 5 years ago. I haven't experienced any of the numbness and loss of smell or taste. and I like it because it is not a steriod.

Related Reading: claritin | allegra | nasonex

Comment from: Harding, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 16

After using this medication for at least two weeks I lost my sense of smell and taste. This happened to me in early Spring and I haven't gotten it back. It is very upsetting to me. I do not know if it is reversable or will I be like this the rest of my life.

Comment from: elained, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 18

I've been on Nasonex for over 15 years. Two years ago I was found to have a severely suppressed immune system! Immuno suppression turns out to be a KNOWN side effect of Nasonex. My Immunologist is recommending a LIFE TIME of weekly immune factor infusions that take TWO HOURS to infuse and cost $150,000 a year. CLEARLY I need to withdraw from Nasonex before embarking on any treatment. I have also lost my sense of smell, AND every place smells like some one is smoking! I only read about these side effects here today. Of course it may be that Nasonex isn't the cause of my immune deficiency. And if I stop I will certainly experience terrible congestion, especially at night. It's always something!

Related Reading: nasonex | smoking

Comment from: Tyler, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 16

I am a 28 year old male and have been battling sinus congestion for most of my life. I gave up on Nasel spray a couple of years ago and started taking Claritin-D every day for years. It worked great but my kidneys took a beating and I started having bad kidney pain because of the decongestant. My doctor prescribed me Nasonex and after 3 or 4 bad nights it started working. It works fairly well but sometimes I feel that I can't breath very deeply when I play sports, I don't know if there is a mucas build up or some other side effect.

Related Reading: claritin | kidney pain

Comment from: mding38926, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 07

I took neo-synephrine like nasal spray 5+ times a day for almost 22 years. In less than 3 weeks I am down to once a day and hope to get it to zero. So far so good.

Related Reading: neo-synephrine