Neupogen

Comment from: Pete65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 27

On Aug 15,2012, I was unable to have chemo treatment due to low neutrophils in white blood cells. I was given the first shot of neupogen, followed by 2nd and 3rd on following 2 days. After the first shot, I had severe pain in lower back, as well as, pain in other joints. I felt terrible in general, with swelling in some joints and low grade fever. I took hydrocodon-acetaminophen 5-500 to relieve pain. The pain subsided in 3 days. I found side effects of neupogen worse than neulasta. I had chemo again the following two weeks when neutrophils were low again. My Oncologist decided to give 4 neupogen shots spread over 4 days rather than 3 days. It worked beautifully. I just finished the 4th shot yesterday and feel fine. I feel tired and a little weak, but no pain medication was necessary during the 4 days. If not for neupogen, I would not be able to have chemo as my immune system was too low. I am grateful for neupogen and neulasta (which I have had in the past). They do the job of restoring neutrophils in white blood cells which allows me to have chemo to kill cancer cells. The question is do I want to suffer a little to achieve my goal of having chemo to extend my life? Yes! I do.

Comment from: Mir 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 12

I have taken 480mcg (the higher dose, there's a 300mcg dose too) for three sessions now - they brought my neutrophils, white blood cell count and hematocrit all up - really well! I had one evening of pulsing pain starting from lower back - real misery, but got permission to take ibuprofen and even just 400mg of that knocked the pain out. Have also had extreme pain on defecation once. Aside from these two, and only one lasted a few hours, all subsequent treatments have not really increased joint pain much. They *have* increased nausea/acid/gas, but meds help that. Just keep on the ondonsatron and you'll be ok.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 27

My mother in law injects me once a day for a 5 day run each cycle of chemotherapy. The injection doesn't hurt much at all. I didn't have any side effects until my 5th shot. I have experienced pulsating pain in my lower spine and some other bones. Nothing a Tylenol can't take care of. Also I had a headache (but not sure if that is related or not). Overall, piece of cake.

Comment from: bitsyspider65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 29

got the shot on Tuesday. Saturday up all night with pulsating pain in lower back both sides. Pain increased upon urination and defecation. Lasted partly thru Sunday.

Comment from: grandmaof535-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: October 11

I received neupogen injections at least three times a week for 6+months. As a result I have limited leg mobility. Since I have been in remission from cancer I have been disabled due mainly from these neupogen injections. I will say though if I had not received them I could not of gotten my chemo treatments on time as scheduled so I'm sure the trade off was worth it. I just get really frustrated with the limited use of my legs and the horribloe pain I still get from these in jections.

Comment from: sommer7-12on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 14

helps in recovery during chemo. blood count bottoms out a week after treatment but with the meds it stabalizes a couple of days later. Very effective.

Comment from: Mdraz55-64on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: June 07

Treated 6 months for hodgkin, mid term had problem with white cell count, corrected by 2 shots, each time 5 days before chemo. Had once backpain for 6 hours tolerable without medication, at the time of chemo white cell levels were always OK after neupo.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 19

I have experienced joint pains while on neupogen but for the most part it was tolerable.

Comment from: mort75 or overon Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 15

hurts initially when injected. pain goes away very quickly. suffer fron muscle and bone ache constantly

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 06

The only part of this Drug that I found to be unsatisfactory is the joint pain.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: February 12

I have to take shots everyday, I have been on it daily at a lower dosage for about 4 months now, and I have now developed a great deal of pain in my kidneys and have started bruising so easily. It has stabilized my counts so that I am not getting sick as often. It did not really help when I took the larger doses 3 times a week. It was also difficult to get my insurance to cover the RX for me to take it myself at home.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: July 16

I inject Neupogen 3 times a week, and do not like the shot. My white count is stable, and that makes it tolerable. I am on 1000mg Ribiviran daily and Pegasys injection for Hep C. These two drugs caused my decrease in white count.

Comment from: firstbornwolf55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 24

decrease in neutrophils in wbc, due to ribovarrin therapy and pegininteronalpha2a injections.

Comment from: winner0865-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 20

I injected myself, stomache area, six times from Tuesday through Sunday. My White count was very low. Tuesday night was bad. Pelvic area and lower back pain. Wednesday and Thurs bad too. Started taking 1/2 Percacette twice a day. This seemed to help. Recommend premedicating before shot to downgrade the side effects.

Comment from: Thembbi55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 23

Terrible Pains on my right lower rib, pains on my right hand shoulder, blood in the urine and headaches. had on three injection Friday Saturday and Sunday

Comment from: LuluMom198025-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 28

I started my chronic Hep C treatment with Rivabirin 1000mg a day and PegInterferon 180mcg a week, after 2 weeks I already develop very low white blood cell counts bellow 20%, started once a week Neupogen by Roche lab 0.5ml/ 30mu single dose syringe subcutaneous, my white blood cell count went up IMMEDIATELY in 24hrs as opposed as other generic versions of this drug which took 4-5 days to bring count up, sadly most insurance companies will not give you brand name, shame on system, when they have such different effectiveness rates, real shame cut cost in such a great drug.Cost is about $200 a dose/week with no insurance. Worth it. No side effects at all, been on this for about 2 months, and probably will be for another 5 months. Excellent drug! Note bring to room temperature b4 injection and no sting will be felt, doesn't loose pharmacological properties for to this.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: May 08

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 03

I have a condtion that cause me to have low white blood cell and i have to take this inj every other day until the condtion goes away which they don't if it evey will so my experience my diffent than other it very painfull my bone hurt and the vain in theplase i give them in become very blue

Comment from: luv2fly45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 26

Been on injections every other day for almost a year. I am a flight attendant for a living so when I work I am subjected to all kinds of bacteria and germs. This drug has been a life saver for me as when I was younger in the 80's I would be in isolation in the hospitol over and over since back then nothing could raise your white count. It has enabled me to have a normal life without becoming deathly ill. (Which happened prior to this drug.) I find that the lower my count is, the more I feel the side effects. So at times it is worse than others.Nothing too bad, just headache and some pelvic pain. This starts about 5-6 hours after I inject. It is aways gone by morning. As long as I stick to my schedule I do well. I can inject better with larger syringes as they hold more and I can inject it faster. The insulin syringes are more awkward...but are free with the script! Just make sure you always take your shot out of the fridge about 20 min before you inject it as it doesn't sting as much when it is room temp.

Comment from: Mikey tryed it55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 24

On HCV treatment therapy-Low WBC's Neutrophils expected range 1500-7800_ Mine 610 "one 300mcg Neupogen injection went to 11,674 "Wow". But, med decreases to about 50% in 2 days. Occasional tolerable body aches,feels a bit weird. Slight short nausea, may try leg INJ. I read Neutrophils are like the Cops attacking and killing the bad guys on site. With Neutrogen,the cops are on steroids. To much Neutrogen they turn into the "Keystone cops on steroids with sloppy over kills. The Blood work is important. Over all we are lucky to have a drug that does something so important as to save us from infection with minimal side effects. So take it, deal with it, kill those bad guys, keep up with the blood work, Good Luck

Comment from: flygirl45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 22

Take injections every other day. Late in day start to get a "distinct" headache. Just get slight muscle pain and pelvic pain. Interestingly, have two small places that look like a rash, one on each hand, that Dr. says is from the drug. This isn't bad but never goes away. HATE giving myself the shots.....plus I travel for a living so it is a hassle keeping the vials chilled!

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 13

I've been taking filgrastim which is Neupogen for 3 days now and I will be receiving 2 more shots tomorrow and Monday the day of my donation. Yes, I fortunately I'm not suffering from cancer and any disease. But I was found dead to be a match with someone that currently is fighting lukemia. And everyone deserves a chance at life and I was lucky enough to be chosen. Back to the medication side effects, I'm feeling like a throbbing pain from my neck to my tailbone. Definitely unpleasant but I'm really trying to tough it out and not take any pain medication. I'm sure my pain is nothing compared to someone suffice from this illness.

Skin Cancer Symptoms, Types, Images See Slideshow
Comment from: almac75 or overon Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 27

In 1994 a blood test revealed an almost zero neutraphil count from unknown causes but which was eventually attributed to "auto-immune neutrapenia". Neupogen was prescribed in 1995 and I have been on it ever since then. At present an inj of 1 cc twice a week maintains my blood count within acceptable limits

Comment from: El Guapo55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 03

No side effects.

Comment from: mcgdmmon Treatment for 5-10 years Published: August 10

It works quickly and effectively to boost the neutrophils. It sometimes makes me vomit and gives me ulcers in my mouth. There are flu like symptoms about 8-10 hours after the injections that last 8-10 hours. Occasional "bone marrow pain" i.e. throbbing. I suspect it is related to increased depression also however I cannot find that mentioned in the literature.

Comment from: Ruth65-71on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 03

I have sjogren's syndrone and have been experiencing low white counts over the course of many years. I have been given neuprogen in the past to help fight infection. I am now on a regimen of 300 units every two weeks. My counts have increased. My side affects are weakness, especially in the legs and low grade pain in my bones. I also seem to be retaining fluid. I am thankful that this medication is availabe to help keep my counts up.

Comment from: spanky55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 13

I am the patient's neice. We only started the inj this past thursday, so the above questions really do not apply at this time.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 23

Severe, crushing headaches until I went gluten-free due to an auto-immune condition (Hashimotos thyroiditis). Now getting a small headache, but neutrophils not going up.

Comment from: jim75 or overon Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: September 12

The stares tell the story

Comment from: 75 or overon Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 19

the next two days I feel ill from taking this drug

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 15

Up all night in screaming pain Tylenol not touching it May stop chemo if I have to continue this med

Comment from: Toxic Shock55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 02

Suffer from severe chronic neutropenina. Have been taking this drug since 1998. I has changed my life. It does cause bone pain but I've lived with this so long that I really no longer notice it.

Comment from: 0-2on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: April 19

every since my son has started this treatment his counts has increased and our ER visits has decreased greatly. The only pproblems we are having now is the nosebleeds.

Comment from: AnnapolisMike55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 09

On the 7th day of a ten day injection regimen. Two injections of 300 mg/l and one of 480 mg/l daily. Having bone pain in the hips and occassionally the skull. Will find out how successful the treatment is when the stem-cell harvesting is complete. Had to fill out all three stars to post. Results in one week.

Comment from: Mark W.45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 20

I had a kidney transpant in July,2009...last month , I contracted a mega virus, CMV,which attacks the organs. I was put on Valcyte for the Cytomegalovirus (CMV)..This medication wiped out my white blood cells to 500.I started using Neupogen Inj.on Wednesday and every day thereafter my white blood cells increased but not significantly.I'm on day 5 now and yesterday my level was 1200.Will see how I progress as I continue 2 more days treatment.

Comment from: ericb00725-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 13

My wife got an injection of this after an allergic reaction to a sulfa drug for Urinary Tract Infection which killed off nearly all of her white blood cells. She was a mess. One shot of this drug did the trick. The count when 1.4 to 12 in about a day. It leveled off to about 9.