Neurontin

Comment from: Nursediesel, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 16

I am a 58 year old Licensed Nurse. I have degenerative disc and joint issues & post piriformis muscle release sciatic nerve pressure consistently. I was told five years ago I could never work in my profession again. I can honestly state without my 600mg of Gabapentin in the morning and 1200mg at night I would never get any sleep and would be suicidal over the pain levels. This drug is a Godsend for me as I am allergic to all narcotics. For me, this is it and it keeps me able to participate in my own life most of the time. It can take a week or so to get comfortable with the dose and how it works for you as an individual. The sleepiness does even out and I find if its taken with food during the day the response of being terribly fatigued is reduced by half.

Related Reading: gabapentin

Comment from: tensharp, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 23

My mother wanted me to post this. She takes neurontin and is able to walk and open her hands again. To all of you who post "WARNING" or "Call the FDA", just because you had side effects doesn't mean it should be banned.People do that all the time. Soon, a legal and non-addicting drug wil be taken off the market. The company will be sued and people like my mother will, once again, be without relief. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I'm sorry about the side effects you experienced. But please. You have no right to condemn my mother to a life of pain. Everything on the market has side effects for some people.

Related Reading: neurontin

Comment from: haydee, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 11

This medication is fantastic pain has almost disappeared and it also helps with sleep problems. The only thing I have noticed is weight gain, has anyone experienced this?

Comment from: SICKof pain, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 01

Taken for fibromyalgia. I don't understand why Drs have no problem prescribing this med which can have suicide as a side effect yet refuse to prescribe narcotic pain meds which WORK! The only thing I got any relief from was codiene which would take away my pain completely!I found that out when I had a tooth abcess! But would my primary Dr prescribe that? Nooo, I might get addicted. Well I'd rather take that chance and be pain free than take this stuff that had loads of side effects and extreme MINIMAL pain relief. This increased my migraines double. I had blurry eyes, tired all the time- more than usual with fibromyalgia. For me the tiny benefit did NOT outweigh the troubling side effects- forgot to mention it tore up my stomache with ulcer like pain too! Pain meds work for fibromyalgia. It is barberic to make patients suffer (unless they HAVE pre existing addiction problems)to TRY and find something else, due to political correctness or the "chance" they may get addicted.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | suicide

Comment from: trizz1, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

The healing benefits of Neurotin were apparent from the first day of taking the medication. The numbness and pain in my hands and forearms disappeared first and my toes followed. The severe hyper sensitivity of my legs took just a few days to calm down. It was nothing short of a miracle. I was able to sleep through the night for the first time in 3 weeks. Neurontin is truly a wonder drug for me with no apparent side effects as yet. The 300mg dose 3 times a day is optimal for me. I was truly fortunate to find a fantastic neorologist who diagnosed my condition and prescribed the medication.

Related Reading: neurontin

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 27

I take 300mgs 3 times a day I feel so much better I can walk with very little pain and I feel better about myself

Comment from: sue100, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 29

I have been using Gabapentin oral for over 10 years, at first it took care of my nerve pain. But then I notice that I seem forgetful, my mind would wonder off and I wouldn't remember to take my medicines, or what appointments I had. My doctor at the time told me I didn't have true alzheimers, or dementia so she could not prescribed me anything to help with my memory. She said it was a side effect from one or two of my medicines. I have since found out that Gabapentin was one of the medicines that gave me memory problems. She would not change my medicine. She said there is not anything on the market that can treat nerve pain as good as Gabapentin even though it has side effects that different people may or may not get. I started out on taking one then eventually went to 3 -300 mgs per night. But I took myself off and went back to one and on occasion I take 2. But my memory is not so bad as it was, and I do have to take 2 just to keep my nerve pain at bay, and it is a challenge. But I am hoping that they will discover a new nerve drug that won't have so many side effects. I am also a severe diabetic, and I also have severe Restless Legs Syndrome with Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. All medicines do have side effects, but I had to make the decision, Do I want to have memory problems or concentration problems,or do I want to suffer from nerve pain? I had to do what I thought I had to do and that is cutting down on the dosage to see if there is a difference. Yes there is a difference in my memory. I can't get back to before I started taking Gabapentin, but I am improving my memory, while keeping my nerve pain at bay. On every third day I take 2 Gabapentins, then all the rest I take one Gabapentin with 2 Ropinorole's, Then on the day I take 2 Gabapentin's, I take one Ropinorole. It seems to help my legs, and my memory. Of course I have had some bad days, but I know it isn't going to last, and I know what to do.

Comment from: Dshencopp, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 29

I had painful numbing in my toes from spinal herniations and stenosis. The nerve pain is gone. I've been on this for about 10 yrs and couldn't do without it. Walking was so painful as was laying in bed when it came to the toes affected. The pain and numbness is gone!

Comment from: Bama Mom, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 18

I have severe Osteoperosis and Osteoarthritis and have now developed Fibromyalgia. The pain in my legs and hips became so bad I was unable to walk. I have been on Nuerontin for 3 days and am AMAZED how well and fast it worked. I woke up this morning a new woman. I can walk without assistance or pain. No major side effects, yawning a lot but man oh man is that a blessing! Would recommend to everyone!!

Related Reading: osteoarthritis | fibromyalgia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 21

Neurontin has helped a great deal with the pain. I do feel however that it has made me scatter brained... and I no longer feel that it is safe for me to drive a vehicle.

Related Reading: neurontin

Comment from: BAMAJOHN, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 09

A big fan of this drug. was given prescription for nerve ending pain about four years ago. has worked well for me. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: F8T11, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 07

I've been on Neurontin for 10 years for FMS and other painful conditions; neuropathic pain. I haven't experienced unpleasant side effects as well. Couldn't live without it.

Related Reading: neuropathic pain

Comment from: Cyfan, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 17

I had neurapathic pain in my leg so bad that I lost all muscle in my leg and could hardly walk. I could not wear long pants because of pain. I started taking 300 MG of Neurontin once a day and worked up to 600 MG 3 times a day for a daily dosage of 1800 MG. I am now able to live a normal life. I have been able to put over 1400 miles on a bicycle and walk the golf course when I play golf. I have lost 30 pounds since starting Neurontin, it has allowed me to live the active lifestyle I like.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: May 25

After suffering from terrible nerve pain from my mandibular bone infection this medication was my saving grace. It made me less dependent on my other pain medications (Vicodin/Hydrocodone). The only drawback to this medication was that it took my body a long time to adjust to the side effects that I experienced (drowsiness/slow reflexes/confusion). But after five months I felt normal again. My advice when taking this medication is to give yourself time to adjust (especially when you are increasing the amount of your medication) and be vigilent when it comes to the side effects.

Related Reading: vicodin | hydrocodone

Comment from: Sheesh, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 03

I'm taking 100mg 3 x's a day for nerve pain in my leg and foot due to a series of strokes. Not until I investigated this drug did I understand why I suddenly couldn't see out of my left eye as well as having stiffness and more cramping in my affected leg and foot. I fall asleep sitting up, standing,and while talking in the middle of a sentence. I get easily frustrated and crabby. I'm very uncoordinated and continually transpose letters while composing simple documents. My strength has always been in grammar which is now my biggest weakness. I've got blurred vision and look like I'm drunk when walking. My lips are in a constant blister and I have difficulty breathing. In the beginning it seemed to be helping. After the second week many side effects cropped up(I didn't list everything)and I didn't realize it was the neurontin. I tried the weaning process only to have more leg and foot cramps than before I started on it. Be super careful if you decide to take one pill! I'm reporting this to the FDA and whom ever else will listen. Not a good drug to experiment with without having proper supervision at your side 24-7. Danger is lurking.

IMAGES

See Images
Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 17

i have used this medication for about 4 years. I have fibromyalgia and it has been quite the life saver. I am able to move around in ways i have never been able to before. It was hard to get used to. I could not stay awake at first and was very very groggy. this passed in about 1 week to 1.5 week. It was well worth the time. I now have such diminished pain that i can exercise and all. i would recommend to all. trust me, i've tried the others. lyrica and relafen blah blah blah. this works for me. i hope you all find the peace i have. blessings.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | lyrica | relafen

Comment from: cheryl, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 23

I have post polio syndrome .Eight years ago I started having leg pain that was so severe I had to stop doing my dayly walks and was unable to sleep. I was checked out for low back problems, found nouthing wrong. My doctor a neurosurgion, diagnosed me with post polio sydrome. Nougthing they could do but give me pain meds.I was very upset, pain meds did not help. I had been in the nursing field for 20yrs, so I was not going to leave it like that. I in vestigated the meds that might help me, after two months of suffering. I called my md., and asked if we could try neurontin, a very low dose. within two days my legs were pain free. My Dr. had to up the dosage afew times over the last seven years. fortunatly I'm still walking and pain free. s

Related Reading: polio | neurontin

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 19

I would not be able to move if it wasn't for this drug.

Comment from: laverne69, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 22

I have taken Neurontin for years. I take the generic now. It helps with my bipolar illness, sleep, and menopause. It helps with fibromyalgia. It continues to work for me, with no lessening of effectiveness. I have been on it about six years.

Related Reading: neurontin | menopause

Comment from: liz, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 23

great after many side effects with estrogens. Having surgical menopause and severe hot flashes and night sweats and no sleep this has been very effective for me and no more nasty estrogens to take!!!

Related Reading: hot flashes | night sweats

Comment from: electric, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 23

I have nerve pain from herniated disks in my back, I had severe pain in my thigh and calf. It has relieved it for now, I have been taking it for 3 months.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

i'm a 67 year old man who got painful herpes zoster shingles of the right eye 9 months ago. The swelling of the eye and pain in the forehead was indescribably bad and had me considerin taking my life. Very little relief when i took opiates which cause severe constipation. Have been taking 200 mg of neurontin/gabapentin 4 times daily for several months. Very quick effective pain relief. Also take acylovir to help kill the very strong stubborn virus. Dizziness, some weight gain but both manageable and i'll take them over a pain i can only describe as agony--it's as if 100 hornets were placed in my eye and forehead. I am concerned that i see by other user reviews to be careful with blood pressure med and anti depressants both of which i'm on, for interaction. Thanks for this site for real world real people information. And by the way if you've had childhood chicken pox i BEG you get a shingles shot. It hits 1/3rd of people over 50 and the pain is beyond belief. I only half joke to my wife and family i'd kiss whoever perfected gabapentin square on the mouth, male or female! It DOES make you sometimes forget certain things but nothing i can't live with and again for me benefits outweigh side effects big time.

Related Reading: shingles | constipation | gabapentin

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 25

Neurontin has hidden treatments for things other than nerve pain. It was average in relieving nerve pain, but the surprising result I had was it relieved anxiety associated with pain, somewhat synonymous with a benzo or a Cymbalta. It also will help you sleep.

Related Reading: neurontin | anxiety | cymbalta

Comment from: SandraSNS, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 19

My Mom has diabetis and after experiencing SEVERE leg and up her right side of the body to her jaw for a year (oxycondone didnt even help) she has never been more pain free..HOWEVER, shes only been on it a month and it has caused her to be extremely wobbly on her feet. The wobbly only began after starting this med but she had so much pain especially at night in her legs from neuropathy she would rather be wobbly than spending her nights and days in such uncomfortable pain. She has a Doc appt. in the morning to be evaluated before they will refill it...she's on 600mg a night, Im wondering if we should lower the dose to 300mg to relieve some of the "wobbly" she has...she says she would rather wobble than go back to that pain, but I dont want her to break a hip and fall. I cant even let myself let her drive anymore since shes so wobbly (sorry wobbly is my best way to describe it ;-) )) Has anyone else noticed these symptons after taking Neurontin? It has not had any other bad effects so I have to say its been a relief to not have her crying in pain and not being able to sleep at all. With this one medication it takes care of sleeping, shes not depressed, pain free, when usually people end up with meds for sleeping, meds for pain, meds for diabetis, its all in this one medication. Guess well see what her lab results say and Doctor thinks about the wobbly tomorrow in order to know its not doing any damage that we dont notice. Thank you for reading my post, and Good Luck to anyone who may have neuropathic pain and decides to try this med. Just watch out for the unstable walking and dizziness that might occur. It took about 3 days before that started.

Related Reading: neuropathic pain | dizziness

Comment from: mcminer, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 07

My wife was taking Neurontin, 2300 mg a day for neuropathy. It worked well for that purpose. For the last 4 months she has experienced a problem wit bowel incontinence, a relaxed anal sphincter. We went to doctors and she was referred to a gastro specialist, to evaluate surgery. Two weeks ago we reviewed side effects of Neurontin on the internet and one was possible intestinal issues. We decided to stop taking the drug, and within one week her bowel incontinence ceased and the anal sphincter returned to what it is supposed to do. We just want to surface this side effect in case anyone else is seeing this.

Related Reading: bowel incontinence

QUESTION

If you have had a seizure, it means you have epilepsy. See Answer